Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster September 28, 2011 01:51AM
Heard through the grape vine there was a part's supplier for pulling parts inKentucky called elliott engineering making a auto cam adjuster for diesel pulling tractors that adjusted the cam timing on the go so you could change your power band as you go down the track. Always interested in more power. Just wondered if anyone had any info on this device.

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 03, 2011 09:37AM
this would not be legal in most classes, might be why there has been no response.

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 03, 2011 09:55AM
This part would probally have to be electronic. Wonder what effect it could have on a rpm sensor on a truck or tractor in a limited rpm class???????

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 04, 2011 12:43AM
Wonder if this could have something to do with the tractors with elliott engineering decals on them running so well this summer. Just a thought.

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 04, 2011 03:45AM
Wouldn't have to be electronic. Its possible it could be centrifugal. I think it would be legal in that case. Confused

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 04, 2011 03:31AM
tech man u can,t make that call because u haven,t saw it and don't even know how it works! I have and it is legual anywhere !

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 04, 2011 04:20AM
I would say that does have everything to do with it. NOT. And how do you know its legal? You can't even spell it. hahaha

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 04, 2011 04:21AM
how can i get one

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 04, 2011 12:02PM
may be they are trying to get it right before it goes on the market or maybe they found a new way to make more power and now we should just outlaw it because its not ours.
It could be wieghted as long as its not controled by a pc then it should be legal

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 04, 2011 04:05PM
I have no idea who Elliot Engineering is or what they do, but mechanically changing the cam timing based on RPM is definitely possible. I saw a set up like this for an automotive application awhile back. Alot of the auto makers are doing things like this at the factory now. There are LOTS of ways to make more power. This might be something someone found. It all might be smoke and mirrors to make people look in the wrong direction too.

..it cant be illegal if there isnt a rule against it.

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 04, 2011 04:28PM
Cummins had MVT (Mechanical Varied Timing) developed back in the late 70's. It worked off of oil pressure and moved the tappets in relation to the cam centerline to advance or retard timing.

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 05, 2011 02:01AM
To anwser some of your questions, this has been a 3 yr project and are finishing dotting all the I's and crossing the T's as we speak.
It is a true mechanical system for the pulling and small engine applications and in electronic engine controled applications there is a version that is configured by electronics

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 05, 2011 02:48AM
Barry will this be adaptable to any engine or strictly for the IH? Does it require much room in front of the timing cover for the actuator?

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 05, 2011 03:57AM
I think there is a llss cummins with something like this there rpm goes up and down to much thats how they stay hooked to the track

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 05, 2011 05:00AM
It will fitted to all the major colors as time comes available. It doesen't take much room, about 6" on the working prototype, the production models are going to be less.

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 05, 2011 07:26AM
The same device would be more advantageous to advance and retard pump timing than to do cam timing. Could it be adapted to change pump timing say 10deg per 1000rpm? That would improve the power band greatly! If you need a beta tester for that application I would be glad to try it out. :-)

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 05, 2011 08:12AM
This is not a new idea, I have personally seen a Deere SF tractor using this technology. It was on the tractor about 4 or 5 years ago. He no longer uses it, maybe it wasn't that big of an advantage. The guy that used it is on this site time to time and I am not at liberty to say who it was, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts he has read this thread and was chuckling when he saw it. He can chime in if he want's to.Grinning

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 05, 2011 09:52AM
anonymous
This is not a new idea, I have personally seen a Deere SF tractor using this technology. It was on the tractor about 4 or 5 years ago. He no longer uses it, maybe it wasn't that big of an advantage. The guy that used it is on this site time to time and I am not at liberty to say who it was, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts he has read this thread and was chuckling when he saw it. He can chime in if he want's to.Grinning

Your right this is not a new idea, it was played with in the 60's

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 05, 2011 10:10AM
What will one of these units cost when available,and how much horse power & torque gain? very interrested.

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 06, 2011 06:52AM
How did u come up with this idea? What got u started bringing old tech back when it didnt wrk then?

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 06, 2011 01:34AM
Got a web address or contact number?

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 07, 2011 03:22AM
I pulled a sf tractor with wtpa (2 years ago) and I use one. I took a centrifugal advance off a big cam ll cummins. I adapted it to fit on my John Deere. It works great but I lacked the $$$$$$$$$ to fine tune it. I was using the cummins factory timing advance. It needs to be fine tuned for a pulling application. I used a 8.1L timing cover so it almost fit inside. I think most people thought it was an adjustable cam gear.

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 07, 2011 05:09AM
I think the big question here is are they legal or not. No one has stepped up to the plate and gave a decision as of yet.

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 07, 2011 10:56PM
I remember seeing some sort of a cam advance retard set up on a Deutz engine. Don't know what it did, but I'm sure it could be morphed onto any engine as well as the Cummins style.

Is it leagal , do you have a Beagle, or an Eagle, how about legal. Why am I such a smart a#@$. It must make me feel better about myself.

Re: Elliott engineering's auto cam adjuster October 08, 2011 01:58AM
As long as it is mechanical I think it is 100%legal in all classes under current rules. All the old rotary pump tractors had the same technology built into the pump.

Don't think it's about adding horsepower October 08, 2011 07:09AM
Barry has extensive dyno experience, and I think most dyno operators agree, max hp and torque available from any specific engine, occur at different timing settings on the camshaft. The truck folks have retarted timing at the line for years to hook to the track better. But having the ability to adjust your motor, on the go, to a touch track (dialing in more torque, if your rpm drops), or dialing out torque on a loose or slick track, is a distinct advantage. Dialing up an extra 100 hp, or reducing hp timing to add a 150 ft pounds of torque on a run, in my mine, equates to being able to effectively shift up or down 3 or 4 percent in overall gear ratio, while maintaining constant status in the drive train. The two tractors that I witnessed running his prototypes this year, were very impressive all season, especially on power tracks, which seemed to be more abundant this year than in recent seasons here in Kentucky.

Re: Don't think it's about adding horsepower October 10, 2011 03:59AM
I wonder if Elliot was running that cam adjuster Sat. night @ Tollesboro BOB pull? That was a killer track that would hold a boat load of horse power, and he put 25-30 feet on 2nd place, and dug in hard at the end.

Re: Don't think it's about adding horsepower October 10, 2011 10:07AM
a styrofoam cup can detect some illegal fuel additives. if the bottom falls out as soon as you pour it in .

I was always told.... October 10, 2011 04:10PM
I was always told that there were only 2 kinds of Tractor Pullers... Cheaters & Loosers!! I think an old man from KY told me that.....

Re: Don't think it's about adding horsepower October 11, 2011 02:49AM
at it again
Guess Elliott is back to his old tricks. He cheated so much when he pulled four-wheel drive trucks he finally had to quit. The old saying once a cheater always a cheater probably prevails here. Does he think the rest of the pullers are that dumb, there are some of the best tractors in the country in that class and they know how to make horsepower, so it looks a little fishy when he puts 25-30 ft. on them. Guess he just can't stand loosing soe he uses whaterer necessary to win. What a shame.

First of all I didn'n have to quit pulling trucks just tired of it, I was protested several times and not once was I found illegal and wasn't ever illegal and now it's starting in the tractors, if I'm cheating why hasn't someone stepped up to the plate and tore me down, if you were so sure I was cheating it wasn't going to cost you anything and I would lose all points be kicked out and be branded as a cheater for life and that is the way it should be! As far as this last pull (didn't have to go for the points anyway) do u think I would risk cheating and lose the points championship for the season, I went expecting to get last place because I knew the track wouldn't hold the hp I was going to put on it and boy was I supprized, Matthew and Jim has buildt one ofthe best tracks in the country and I'm sure the others will agree!

Bottom line here is I still welcome a 1000.00 tear down (protest) except for if I'm found illegal I will pay the protester 2000.00 and shake hands at the end. Time to put up or shut up!!!!!!

If some would spend their spare time R&D their puller instead on the keyboard bashing someone I think they will find it will work for them to.

Re: Don't think it's about adding horsepower October 11, 2011 04:38AM
How did we go from someone asking about timing advance to Barry cheating. I can tell you exactly jealousy. People are so jealous it is sickening. Let me tell you something about Barry. I have bought several dollars worth of parts from Barry and not once did I have to pay for them up front like some performance shops ask you to do.Some pullers have paid for parts in advance at other shops (or so they say) then they make trip after trip to get their parts months go by and still (so they say) they still do not have them. What I am getting at is success. Barry is one of the most up front shops I know. He not only has success in his tractor but he is helping others of us with success. I do not believe for a minute he is cheating. He has worked with me on my tractor and has never mentioned that at all.He has worked with the other tractors that Dwight Allen mentioned in previous post. He sure sounds like Dwight knows exactly who it is. Barry has had many years of success and will have many more. He has never had to file bankruptcy to keep going either. I am glad to be associated with Barry and always will!! With that said Barry lets keep the success pulling. Apparently what some does not have. At least they do not have the kahunnas to give their name.No wonder they cannot get in the winners circle very often. Of course the may win once in a great while. But hell a blind hog will find an acorn every once in a while. Tim Hornback The Red Inferno II. Elizabethtown,Ky.

Re: Don't think it's about adding horsepower October 12, 2011 12:56PM
I dont know this elliott fellow but from his posts he sure sounds sure of himself ( talking about he had so much horsepower the track couldent hold him, he must be another Garner Stone if he has that kind of hp.) If he is that good and can build horsepower like that why is he playing with the local boys, why aint he running super stock with NTPA where he can really prove himself.

Re: Don't think it's about adding horsepower October 13, 2011 01:17PM
i am thinking maybe he knows what he was talking about on his horsepower.otherwise this post and all its whining would be about somebody else?

Re: Don't think it's about adding horsepower October 14, 2011 01:44AM
I think its funny how ppl wanna talk about banking problems and is to scared to mention names..some ppl have no room to be talking because they have a had problems in there past..there is to much drama on here..so quit talking trash on here and lets go pulling!!!

Re: Don't think it's about adding horsepower October 14, 2011 02:45AM
my thoughts too

Re: Question for ihsuper October 11, 2011 08:43AM
i guess you are right lol. well did yours eat thru? ours didnt but some this summer did.

Elliott Engineering phone # needed October 15, 2011 06:37AM
Seems to me tractor pulling has always beeen about finding ways to make HP. I am always looking for a way to make more. I'll bet most of the parts being ran today were once cheater parts, but thats what makes tractor pulling so fun. Wondering why some one is beating you... Then going on a quest for more HP. If you want to keep it fare every one pull the same tractor....

Re: Elliott Engineering phone # needed October 16, 2011 01:47AM
contact through email......
elliottengineering1@hotmail.com

Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,565, Posts: 229,582, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,056, Posts: 225,843.

Our newest member BadHabit2