Aluminum alloy frame rails October 31, 2011 04:50AM
Does anyone run Aluminum tube frame? wondering what alloy would be the strongest to use? Any advice would be great!

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails October 31, 2011 04:58AM
Don't use aluminum for a tube frame, the fatigue resistance of any form of aluminum makes it a poor choice for frames.

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails October 31, 2011 05:21AM
Does anybody have real world experience with one

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails October 31, 2011 12:19PM
Goz look at NHRA Funny or Top Fuel if they would stand up these guys would use them.

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails October 31, 2011 12:34PM
If aluminum won't hold up then why is it used for trailer frames and things like that? I know alot older trucks used aluminum for cross members and kenworth even had alum frame rails. I'm not argueing, just wondering?????????????

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails October 31, 2011 12:43PM
Brent Long has an aluminum frame on his. If it will handle Long Machine horsepower must be OK!!!!

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails October 31, 2011 01:11PM
[www.allmetalprocess.com] I think Total Recall llss had tube aluminum frame as does old rags lss I have aluminum channel frame

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails October 31, 2011 02:50PM
I've been on a 747 in a pretty big storm and that thing was flexing and twisting and the airframe/skin/etc... is aluminum. I've got two aluminum mountain bikes, one is tubes and one is hydroformed sheets welded together. both are extremely light and both stand up very well and have both been crashed multiple times.

What I'm trying to say is that if the engineering is done correctly aluminum is a great material. If it's inadequately engineeered failure can be dramatic, and very abrupt. It's not just about whether 6061 is a better alloy than 7005, it's about the design, heat treating, surface treatment (like shot peening) etc...

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails October 31, 2011 03:15PM
Ran a John Deere years ago had entire frame and front end made from AL (DRUSSEL Mfg) pulled 7500 9500 1200 SS in the day never a problem with the frame. The entire frame and front end was welded together then heat treated as a unit. bare tractor was 6500 lbs so it normally would have 10-12 JD wheel weights and 26-30 suitcase weights to get to 12200lb depending on the scales. Frame never showed any signs of bending or cracks.

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 01, 2011 01:31AM
What alloy is the strongest? 6061T6 or 6063T56

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 01, 2011 01:39AM
Both alloys will very in strength when welded. That is the major issue with aluminum, some alloys loose a bunch of strength in the effected weld area, others gain a bunch of strength in the weld area but do not have the stength in the unwelded area. It's not a simple question. I think if you find the "right" person to heat treat things after the welding is complete that would be your best bet.

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 01, 2011 01:50AM
Aren't Wyson wedge mini frames aluminum?

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 01, 2011 02:31AM
Well who does heat treating on something that big? Mabye someone local Omaha or KC area?

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 01, 2011 02:42AM
Find an aluminum casting company.

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 01, 2011 03:55AM
I have a 3/16" sheet of 6061 aluminum that is 5 feet wide and 14 feet long. I was going to have it cut and bent into two sets of wedge frame rails. I have never done anyting with it and would sell that material. It is hard to find in that size. 308-940-0255 Jeff Gravert Central City, NE

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 01, 2011 04:12AM
You can't bend 6061 alum @ a 90 degree angle with out it tearing at the bend. It is too hard. You need something like 5052 then have it HT.

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 01, 2011 05:11AM
Price?

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 01, 2011 05:27AM
5052 and 6061 are what we use the most of here at work and most of our parts are formed pieces of 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" thickness. 6061 can be formed as long as the radius of the bend is large enough, we do it on a regular basis. The 2 major differences in steel vs aluminum are fatigue strength and deflection. Aluminum deflects/flexes a greater distance without permenant damage.

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 01, 2011 04:56PM
The entire frame of the twister lss tractor is aluminum. It has had several tests and has taken them all..The link to Allmetalprocess posted above is a pic of my frame. We used inch and a half schedule 40 6061 pipe that was all tig welded. The entire assembly with wheels weighs less than 130lbs.

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 01, 2011 05:00PM
I stand corrected it is 1 7/8 pipe.

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 02, 2011 12:43AM
Thanks Guys you have helped a lot!

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 02, 2011 12:54AM
I think the key point when using aluminum for frames or other structural components it to makes sure they are correctly design with proper alloy and then built using the best methods. With this said the same applies to steel when trying to go very light. The old saying in road building is anyone can build a bridge, the best engineer makes it much lighter. Safety first.

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 02, 2011 01:44AM
if you dont mind me asking. how much for that frame it is sweet.

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 02, 2011 01:56AM
Assuming the material is a T6 temper, you would need to use at least a 9/16" inside radius punch or larger to form this material. The 6061-T6 material is not as ductile as other aluminum alloys and tempers so there may be some minor surface cracking even with the larger radius. Using a smaller radius tooling will definitely lead to the material breaking when trying to form this material.

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 02, 2011 02:33AM
You really should start out with a T4 material, form it, weld it and then heat treat it to a T6 temper.

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 02, 2011 04:29AM
Any one replaced the factory frame rails on a 4010 with aluminium channel and had problems? Would hate to bend bad enough to wreck a good hood.

Re: Aluminum alloy frame rails November 05, 2011 02:31AM
You mean a frame like I have been running on mine for the last 5 years (and we've bounced it as hard as you would want to!!)? Send me a PM or leave an email address and I'll tell you about it. No issues to date.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2011 02:35AM by FarmersFun.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,561, Posts: 229,571, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,055, Posts: 225,835.

Our newest member BadHabit2