Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) January 16, 2012 04:42PM
It would be cool if there were a pulling Hall of Fame (not tied to any one organization). I got to thinking which mod pullers would be in, if there was one. Most of these are National guys (and ran NTPA, primarily because it's got by far the longest history). There are probably some great state level pullers who should be in as well, maybe we can get some input.

Here are people I think accomplished enough to be in the Hall of Fame. (side note- Hey Jake and Richard, maybe you guys could come up with a "Pulloff" Hall of Fame, and start a separate link on your page, with a little blurb and photo about each honoree...)
Anyway, here are modified pullers who I'd have in:
(UPDATED 1/17/12)

Art Arfons
Banter Bros.
Ron Barga/Norm Smith (Judge Team)
Bob Bend/Fred Mende (Allison Team)
Ralph Chamberlain
JOE EDER
Tim Engler
Dave Haley
Don Harness
JOHN HILEMAN
Bruce Hutcherson
Rodalyn Knox
Bill Leischner
Martin Bros.
Lloyd McVey
Wheeler Rittinger
Gardner Stone
John Shaul
Bill Voreis
Walsh Bros.

These guys I'm on the fence with: Mike Piper, Steve Jaske, Bob Jostock, Fred Freeman, Paul Norman, EJ Potter, Wayne Longnecker, Mike Holden (for example, I respect that Holden was the first to my knowledge to put 4 allisons on a tractor and ran for a number of years, but is being the first to try an engine combination enough in itself?). I know the guys just mentioned had some success, but not sure what major accomplishments each had that would put them with the above group. As for state level pullers, what about Ron Headley? Did he win multiple championships? Maybe Dennis Wilson (Little American).

It will be interesting to see how some current pullers fare such as Kathy Schalitz. Since she was the first female to win the unlimited title, maybe that alone would get her in. One more title would for sure (kind of like a quarterback that wins 2 Super Bowls almost always gets to Canton). I think Brian Shramek deserves to be in based on his body of work including Super Stock and Pro Stock, but not based on his mod.

I'd like some feedback on state level pullers who would deserve to be in, maybe more light mod pullers, and there should be some European inclusion (not good with names, but off the top of my head, the Museums Cat (Shaul) and Killer (Engler) tractors, Desperate Dan, Green Monster, Green Spirit, and Lambada teams seem to have done enough).

There may be some guys I just forgot about. Also, possibly some early modifieds from the 60s or 70s that were very successful should be included. Post away!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2012 02:52PM by The Original Michael.

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) January 16, 2012 10:56PM
The Little American, for sure, almost always took a 2 engine tractor to beat that single SOHC Ford.

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) January 16, 2012 11:47PM
Dick Miller from Minnesota would be a state level entry. Ran a single hemi (bad habit) and would beat 2 engine tractors on a weekly basis

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) January 17, 2012 01:35AM
IN MY OPINION EJ POTTER SHOULD BE A LOCK TO GET IN THE HALL OF FAME. HE WAS A MASTER OF THE ALLISON ENGINE AND WON SEVERAL BIG TIME PULLS. HE IS A LEGEND IN MICHIGAN AND HE WAS A PIONEER IN GETTING ALLISON ENGINES INTO TRACTOR PULLING.

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) January 17, 2012 02:45AM
To the Europeans, you have to ad Jan van Alphen (Popeye) - he'd still be pulling if it wasn't for that accident in England a few years ago.

The "old men" behind the teams you have listed (just to help with names)

Eugene Kiemele - Museums Team - he bought, ran: The twin Allison Judge of Ron Barga, Second CHoice of Art Helm, Tom Cat of John Shaul, Mission Impossible of Tim Engler
Brian Armistread - Desperate Dan
Heinz Josef Hörstkamp - first modified tractor in germany (Fordosn Major with Dodge V8), first Allison in Europe, first triple and first quad Allison in Europe and still behind the wheel of Green Fighter at times. He also has established and still pulls ALL the strings behind the Füchtorf pull, which set a standard in "infrastructure quality and quick ran show" for many other's to follow.

Ko de Regt - 70yrs old, not behind the wheel anymore but the founder and quite the force in the Green Spirit Team (along with his son Peter)
Lambada - Willem Dingerink

Then, something I think that should not be forgotten is the work some guys did aside from the track:
As for Mike: He has been a tremendous help for the European Allison Pullers and really helped us and others learning how to build light. Then Wayne Longnecker had a hell lot of input over here on most Teams running V12s. He's been over here so many times at so many different teams and helped "hands on" as well as on the phone anytime you needed him (the same for Mike - I can't call the hours and dollars spent on the phone with those two guys).
Rick Rockefeller, Brian Diekmann and E.J. Potter come to my mind here, too, even though their input was rather focused on our team. Even though - if you see how many "copies" of Brian Diekmans chassis were built over here after he built the chassis for our team, it's quite an impact that has to be mentioned. The word "Diekman chassis" is kinda named along with "wedge, Engler or Diekman style".

I think the Knox family should also be mentioned here. They didn't help our team much but for sure made competition tough for us!

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2012 02:48AM by Sascha.

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) January 17, 2012 02:22AM
Some pullers from out west that I would consider are the following..All but Rhode and Merta pulled the national circuit some with Reed and Schneller being the best known..

Ron Reed from Kansas
Carl Schneller from Colorado
Gary Sporhase from Colorado
Vern Rhode from Nebraska
Barney Klaus from Missouri
Don Fenley from Texas
Emil Merta from Iowa

How about Dave Stull and Dan Utz from Ohio...
Wayne Longnecker has pulled modifieds for over 40 years and has to be a shoo in..
Leo Kay from PA has to be considered..
Sonny Owens from Maryland..
Gerdes brothers from Illinois

Theres lots more if I could only remember them..

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) December 18, 2016 07:05AM
Emil Merta was my step-father. I believe he was one of the originals. He would definitely deserve to be remembered in the Tractor Puller Hall Of Fame.

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) January 17, 2012 03:44AM
good topic for discussion,and id like to suggest that the mod division as well as the ss division for the hall of fame might be split somehow into categories of some sort.as most board users have seen over the years,i am a fan of the light classes,which the early years sometimes are overlooked.a section for the mechanical aspect of pulling would be neet to,bill humphries,spelling is off,cant be left out on that.....

Criteria January 17, 2012 06:19AM
Everybody has mentioned the best in the business, but everybody can't make it in. What is the criteria for getting in? Accomplishments, longevity, etc...............

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) January 17, 2012 10:46AM
John Hileman

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) January 17, 2012 12:20PM
John McManus Taylorridge ILL with earthquake. He has pulled since late 60ies and always puts on good show

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) January 17, 2012 12:26PM
EDER

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) January 27, 2012 10:50AM
Bill Voreis might be a little higher? 6 consecutive championships, an undefeated season. Who can match that?? Boyer family from Illinois for state ranking. They were there for the beginning of modified tractors, finished with the Diggin Dozen. Hook count off the chart!

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) January 28, 2012 10:47AM
nobody mentioned the Bosse Bros

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) December 06, 2015 12:44PM
Billy Biers

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) December 07, 2015 02:24AM
Charles DeClerk from Illinois.

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) December 18, 2016 08:03AM
What about Lloyd Mc Vey. The banana and Supper Banana?

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) December 19, 2016 01:04AM
Wayne Sullivan

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) December 19, 2016 06:41AM
Super Banana and Little Tiger were Lloyd's earliest tractors.

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) July 29, 2017 09:15AM
The Original Michael
It would be cool if there were a pulling Hall of Fame (not tied to any one organization). I got to thinking which mod pullers would be in, if there was one. Most of these are National guys (and ran NTPA, primarily because it's got by far the longest history). There are probably some great state level pullers who should be in as well, maybe we can get some input.

Here are people I think accomplished enough to be in the Hall of Fame. (side note- Hey Jake and Richard, maybe you guys could come up with a "Pulloff" Hall of Fame, and start a separate link on your page, with a little blurb and photo about each honoree...)
Anyway, here are modified pullers who I'd have in:
(UPDATED 1/17/12)

Art Arfons
Banter Bros.
Ron Barga/Norm Smith (Judge Team)
Bob Bend/Fred Mende (Allison Team)
Ralph Chamberlain
JOE EDER
Tim Engler
Dave Haley
Don Harness
JOHN HILEMAN
Bruce Hutcherson
Rodalyn Knox
Bill Leischner
Martin Bros.
Lloyd McVey
Wheeler Rittinger
Gardner Stone
John Shaul
Bill Voreis
Walsh Bros.

These guys I'm on the fence with: Mike Piper, Steve Jaske, Bob Jostock, Fred Freeman, Paul Norman, EJ Potter, Wayne Longnecker, Mike Holden (for example, I respect that Holden was the first to my knowledge to put 4 allisons on a tractor and ran for a number of years, but is being the first to try an engine combination enough in itself?). I know the guys just mentioned had some success, but not sure what major accomplishments each had that would put them with the above group. As for state level pullers, what about Ron Headley? Did he win multiple championships? Maybe Dennis Wilson (Little American).

It will be interesting to see how some current pullers fare such as Kathy Schalitz. Since she was the first female to win the unlimited title, maybe that alone would get her in. One more title would for sure (kind of like a quarterback that wins 2 Super Bowls almost always gets to Canton). I think Brian Shramek deserves to be in based on his body of work including Super Stock and Pro Stock, but not based on his mod.

I'd like some feedback on state level pullers who would deserve to be in, maybe more light mod pullers, and there should be some European inclusion (not good with names, but off the top of my head, the Museums Cat (Shaul) and Killer (Engler) tractors, Desperate Dan, Green Monster, Green Spirit, and Lambada teams seem to have done enough).

There may be some guys I just forgot about. Also, possibly some early modifieds from the 60s or 70s that were very successful should be included. Post away!

Re: Pulling Hall of Fame (Modifieds) July 31, 2017 02:53PM
Dennis Christensen,Pak Rat 4

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,561, Posts: 229,571, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,055, Posts: 225,835.

Our newest member BadHabit2