4430 clutch February 29, 2012 02:52AM
Ran a 5 disk clutch in 4430 for 2 years. Always would drag, hard to shift. Some times had to shut off tractor to get it in gear. Once in gear, clutch worked perfect. Replaced it last month with 4 disk because we were told the drag was coming from the extra disk in the tractions side of the clutch. When taken apart, the PTO disks were completely shot. Traction clutch looked like new and measure to specs. Were told that is the nature of the beast, did good to get 2 years out of it. Put everything back together with 2 disks in the traction side and TRYED to shift it. Drag is still there, no different than last 2 years. Shifts some what easier when oil is warm.
466, 3000 rpm, 9500 and 10,500 lbs. Any ideas?

Re: 4430 clutch February 29, 2012 03:09AM
Is the PTO brake still in the tractor?

Re: 4430 clutch February 29, 2012 04:08AM
We have had this problem, First check the pto brake like the other post said, But I would rather say that the clutch is not adjusted properly. We used the John Deere tool on a tractor once set it correctly and even had the JD dealer do it the second time and had the same problem. We later found out our steel flywheel was not made to the same specs as the Deere one. We re-machined the flywheel to the correct specs and used the JD tool to set it up and it worked great. Just my 2 cents.. Greg Lamb

Re: 4430 clutch February 29, 2012 06:18AM
How is your clutch valve set up to operate the pto and engine pistons? If you are getting more pressure to the pto when letting the clutch up than the engine then they will slip bad. You have to have equal engagment of all disks at the same time to really make it work well. Also there are diffrent operating pistons, clutch drums, flywheels and other small parts that can effect clutch drag. If you have an ealry seriel number 30 series they have all the wrong parts and you will need to update the above mentioned pieces for best results.

Re: 4430 clutch February 29, 2012 12:20PM
The set up we have, all parts came from a pro clutch man that has these clutches in other tractors and they seem to work. I used to work at a Deere dealership and have set many of these clutches, I even read the book. I must be over looking some thing simply, I hope.

Re: 4430 clutch February 29, 2012 12:12PM
NO, PTO brake is gone. There are no pto parts in the tractor at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 12:13PM by yanmar55.

Re: 4430 clutch February 29, 2012 01:01PM
Is the pto hollow shaft in the tractor. If not the problem could be the hub falling down on the pto side causing the hub to cock in there and cause disks to drag up and not release. I hope you understand what i am talking about.

Re: 4430 clutch February 29, 2012 01:59PM
I am running a 7 disk and i kept the pto brake to slow the clutch so it will go in gear. So if urs is gone i dont know what to tell u.

Re: 4430 clutch February 29, 2012 02:39PM
First of all, I want to thank you guys for the ideas. Turbo, the 2 clutch shafts are in there. Pto and traction, to support the 2 disk hubs in the clutch it's self. The big gear and the shaft that goes to the back of the tractor are gone. Could we use heavier springs on the pto side to push the pto fingers and the larger piston back. The pto springs are no were as strong as the 3 springs that push the traction clutch apart. We are going to call our clutch maker tomorrow and see what he has to say. Thanks again for all the ideas and help.

Re: 4430 clutch February 29, 2012 02:56PM
If you are running a 4430 with a quad range trans it could also be further in the two speed or valve problems or sycros in trans. If you are running a sycro trans 8 speed it is more likley sycros or some thing else wrong in the transmission but also check the trans pump you could be loosing oil flow also i hope i helped good luck tearing it to.

Re: 4430 clutch March 01, 2012 08:08AM
It would seem to me that if your PTO clutch discs are wearing out and it is hard to get it in gear that it would have to be that the pto piston is applying pressure when you don't want it to. Either an adjustment issue or more likely a oil porting issue that you are using to tie the two together. I have run a 5 disc for many years without those problems in my 4240.

Re: 4430 clutch March 01, 2012 09:45AM
just instulled a new 7 1/2 gear in my 4430 last week told guy doing the job i to could not get it in gear and it shifted hard with a 5 disc set up he found being an early model 1974 it did not have the update witch is a bolt an peice of pipe to line up the shift coller mine shifts fine now hope this helps

Re: 4430 clutch March 01, 2012 11:58AM
Will it shift hard in hi and low speeds,if it does then it may not be a clutch pressure or adjustment issue as more of a lube pressure not dumping off when clutch is depressed. Do you have the late model clutch valve installed?

Re: 4430 clutch March 01, 2012 04:15PM
Bill R, we have the same set up that you have for sale. Did you have the pto brake in yours? Did you get your clutch control valve from some one or did you do your own?

Re: 4430 clutch March 01, 2012 11:13PM
I got trouble with my 4230 farm tractor. Always hard to shift, impossible when cold, so last spring we took the clutch & flywheel to deere (with ser no) for them to rebuild & adjust and no difference. Clutch psi at shift valve reads 0 but tractor wants to creep if it is forced in gear, must shut off to shift. Quad works great and synchros are fine, can I readjust it some without taking it back to deere?

Re: 4430 clutch March 01, 2012 12:41PM
What are some things to check in the transmission pump area? Ive heard some of the lines can spring a leak to and from the pump, how common is this?

Kevind:If you have a old model tractor is it best to modify the old clutch valve or switch to the newer style? Ive heard both ways, modify the original and use the newer one. Ive also heard the new clutch valve isnt compatible with the old tractors due to the differences between old vs new clutch operating system. About to tear into a 73 model so looking for my best options to repair.

Re: 4430 clutch March 02, 2012 12:21AM
Check pilot bushing & shaft ?

Re: 4430 clutch March 02, 2014 07:54AM
I'm having trouble shifting a 4430, I was told that it had been worked on by an inexperienced person who supposedly put something in backwards in the transmission. When you push in on the clutch you have to force it into gear, like the clutch is not releasing, is there a brake on the input shaft that allows you to shift without grinding?

Re: 4430 clutch April 08, 2017 05:27AM
my 4430 pto is having problem is there a test to see if I AM loosing hyd. pressure at piston or a valve problem.
If my pto is engauged the scvs has low pressure and pto does not run to speed

Re: 4430 clutch March 02, 2012 10:40AM
I'm getting ready to start on a Mexican 4455, is there anything special I should know as far as updating old to new parts to make this work properly? I'm just gonna use the existing 4 disks and leave all the PTO parts in.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,613, Posts: 229,669, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,064, Posts: 225,890.

Our newest member JD_8520