Looking to start a local Pull - Advice wanted January 15, 2011 05:11AM
Hi,

My name is Matt Jorgensen. I live up in Northern Wisconsin (Ladysmith). Our county fair commission always puts on 2 pulls at our fair every year. One is Tri-State, the other is the "local" pull which is basically a brush pull. Also, usually in September, they'd have a second "Last Blast" brush pull, which was usually well-attended.

Well, due to economic problems, miss-management, and other topics that I don't know enough about to make informed statements, it appears that there won't be a fair this year.

So, I and a friend (who is a puller) are looking to start our own pull up here. I already know what it will cost for the sled ($1000), and I will have to wait till the next county board meeting to find out the cost of the use of the track at the fairgrounds.

I plan to have both tractor and truck classes. One of the things that really got to me over the last couple of years is the amount of cheating going on, specifically in the diesel classes. I intend to crack down on this. (Too many nitrous explosions/problems in "stock" classes to mention)

My question is this: Insurance. Where would be the best place to get it, will I even need it if I make drivers sign a waiver, etc and so forth.

Also, I already have some interest from sponsors on this. My plan is to get the sponsors I need to cover the costs, and run the payouts on most classes as 100% payback. Use money from attendance if necessary to fund a purse for some of the bigger classes like Open Diesel, Hot farm, etc..

The brush pull that this is replacing is usually very well attended. Typically, it would start at noon on a Sunday and not get over with until 8 - 10 at night... And there was some bad blad amongst some pullers and this fair, so some guys wouldn't come. I'm hoping that the promise of some RULES to keep things more fair, and people who actually pay their payouts, will get more attendance.

I'm new to this side of things, I do know how to run paper work and stuff as I was the announcer for the last two pulls the fair ran last year..

Re: Looking to start a local Pull - Advice wanted January 16, 2011 06:46AM
Go to lots of truck & tractor pulls. Have seen Ladysmith going down hill. For many years.
Why should everyone pay for rides if you have no kids. That's all we do is Pay for gate fee (Rides) & grandstand fees. $$ gone really fast !
The Pullers are putting on the show. Without them you have no show. Why do they need to pay for rides ... they brought their ride with ! And family to watch !
The Sunday show I feel is bad. Lots of other pulls on a Friday Night / Saturday night. For us to come can watch is a 50 mile drive.
A good Guaranteed Pay Back (Not 100%). I think will bring truck / Tractors.
Good Rules that are enforced ... Also the top 3 in each class are checked !
Keep checking until you find one that meets all the rules.
My 2 cents.

Re: Looking to start a local Pull - Advice wanted January 16, 2011 11:19AM
I would also suggest advertising for your pull. A promoter here in south central wi lost his a$$ becuase nobody knew about the pull except the regular fanatics. This is in a community of about 40-50K population. It was a NTPA hook...not sure if it was a regional. All I am saying is if your gate pays for the show then you need people thru the gate. This person didnt advertise anywhere...I didnt here it on the local radio stations, tv stations, or even the local newspapers or poster flyers around town.

St Judes, Monroe Fall Nationals and Utica Fest thru BSTP both do a fair amount of advertising to get the fans. Good luck!

DPS

Re: Looking to start a local Pull - Advice wanted January 16, 2011 11:36AM
Thanks for the input! Pull Fans, glad to hear from someone besides myself that the Ladysmith pull left some to be desired.

Ok, some more details:

I'm going to pay the costs of the pull via sponsors. If I can't get enough sponsors to pay the sled, track, & insurance, then it's a no go.. I don't have enough money to my name to fund this alone if it flops. (Which I sincerely hope it doesn't)

My buddy who's helping me with this is a puller as well. He thinks the stock classes should have no money, but nice trophies. His philosophy is that the local boys with trucks/tractors pull for the fun & bragging rights.. Cheaters pull for money and is why this fair pull had guys with twin-turbo rigs and rigs with nitrous in the stock classes.. Just a little extra money in their pocket since they're sure to win.. Pay $20 and win $150

I plan to have fliers all over the county at every local business. Plus see if the local radio stations would cut me a brake on advertising this. Not one person involved in this is making a dime off this pull, so I would think the newspaper and radio stations might help. I'm also going to spread this across every truck and or tractor enthusiast site I can find..

I'm supposed to talk to the owner of the Ladysmith Chevy dealer Wednesday about sponsoring this pull. I have a friend at a ford dealer that's working on it too.. Then to hit the Dodge garage. The two local tractor dealers I probably won't get money out of, but they always supply tractors/skid steers for the fair truck pull events for tending the track. That's worth somethin right there.

I plan to charge admittance.. Most pulls in this area range from $7 to $12 per adult, and $4 - $6 for kids over 5... I'm thinking of doing $10 for adults, $5 for kids, or $30 for a car load.. Should get larger families to show I'd think??? Maybe not...

Finally, there was something mentioned by Pull Fans about Sunday pulls not being ideal? I always thought the pull on Sunday worked real good because so many Saturdays in the summer have other things going on... And by starting at noon, even Christian/religious folks that go to church (like myself) can still make it..

I planned to ask a local club (snowmobile, horse, etc) if they'd like to sell concessions as a fund raiser. That takes care of the food, and it's something I don't have to worry about.

Well, that's all I can think of. I've been sick this weekend, so lots of time to think on this. Smiling

Re: Looking to start a local Pull - Advice wanted January 16, 2011 12:16PM
Good luck, I helped to put on ONE pull with the help of others, and I will never do it again. Impossible to make everybody happy. and that was about 20 years ago!!!

Re: Looking to start a local Pull - Advice wanted January 16, 2011 12:28PM
Well, it sounds like you have most everything in line and looking good. There is a group of us that put a pull on down here in Ohio and it is a lot of work. There is usually about 7 - 10 of us that come together and get it going. Like yourself we get the sponsors to pay for the sled, insurance, fuel for equip and any other expenses. We had different packages for sponsors with $500, $250, and $100 sponsorships, and equipment donations. We do not charge a entry fee. Our payouts aren't extremely high, but we use the entry money to payout the class purses. We keep the payout the same for each class, and the smaller classes are usually paid for by the larger classes. We were just as nervous as you were our first year, but we were lucky enough to make a little money, but nobody takes any. It just went back into the pot for next year. We were a little more relaxed knowing that we had a little buffer. It has been called a pullers pull and that just makes it all the better. The amount of people we get there is crazy, and the first year our group has done this our concession trailer sold out! So make sure that you have enough concession, or at least a back up plan. Also make sure you have enough help to prep the track the day before and get the equipment around, and then clean up the next day after the pull. We always like to leave the fair grounds cleaner than we find it. Makes the fair board really happy to have us there. It takes a huge amount of work, but with enough help it goes along fairly well. If you have any questions feel free to email me on how we do things. Not sure if I helped or not, just kinda letting you know what to expect i guess.

Re: Looking to start a local Pull - Advice wanted January 16, 2011 12:43PM
Hey Derek, thanks for the input!!!

Usually, the county road commision will come in and take care of the track with the motor grader for us. The track nearly always needs to be tore up early in the morning and let dry if its rained in the last day or two.. (100% clay track.. It hooks HARD)

Hmm. That's an interesting idea with no gate fee.. Should get spectators up the wazoo.. That'd be good. Make the sponsors happy.. I'll have to do some figuring....

Keep it coming guys!

Re: Looking to start a local Pull - Advice wanted January 16, 2011 02:06PM
BTW the Utica Fesitaval does not charge admisission for the pull.

Their theory is the money saved at the gate is spent on concessions which includes beer! No coolers are allowed. They also have big name entertainment (Madison County) in the evening and a spectator truck pull for a hook fee and no pay back, but the crowd loves it!! There is a charge for admission to the band in the evening. They even allow the pullers to have a full pull into the corn or soybean field whichever it is that year.

If you want more advice from some of the most successful promoters in our area call David Smithback - Utica Fest, Don Slama - Hilsboro Charity pull or Greg Elsing - St Judes Charity Pull. These are ran very smoothly and they know how to get it done right!

DPS

Re: Looking to start a local Pull - Advice wanted January 16, 2011 02:28PM
Thanks..

I'd like to stay out of the concessions for now... Keeps things simpler.. IF you know what I mean. Besides, let a non-profit group sell concessions.. Improves your image. Smiling

I'm gonna steer clear of the entertainment deal for now. Sometimes that can bite you in the butt. That's what bankrupted the fair. Sad Not enough people to support it.

I like the Spectator pull. Course, that's basically this pull anyhow. LOL

I did plan on having an 8500 lb "run-what-ya-brung" class.. Diesel, gas, anything goes.. Kind of a "for fun" class... With hook fee of course.. Use that money to help pay other classes.

Re: Looking to start a local Pull - Advice wanted January 17, 2011 12:40PM
Deerefanatic

Simpler is always good for the first year. Get your feelers out there and see what will happen. Then, if all goes well, you can do more and try to make it a better show.

Not sure on what classes that you were going to have, but make sure that you check safety equipment and shields! We had a big wreck, and it wasn't pretty. Not cool at all. Thank the Lord above that know one was seriously hurt. So learn from our mistake, overlook, whatever... But at least make sure that safety equipment is in place. Also try to have a good telehandler there. They are awesome at moving weight, and picking up tractors from the rear and carrying off the track to keep the show moving.

We know all about the clay tracks down here! Depending on the weather, we will usually open the track up the night before and put a couple thousand gallons of water on it and leave it sit overnight. Then come in the next morning and work it a little and maybe put more water on it. It all depends on how it looks and feels. The track is normally great, and you don't get the dust bowl later on in the afternoon. Our day is usually pretty long, as we start at 10am and go till 1am or so. We don't like to make it go that long, but we just get that many competitors. We do a combo tractor pull and truck pull, so that is some of the reason for the long day.

Other than that sounds like you have it just about ready to roll, now just comes the hard work. Make sure you have enough man power, and good luck!

Re: Looking to start a local Pull - Advice wanted January 18, 2011 04:46AM
Set some rules and enforce them no matter who it is,charge a entry,get sponsors(FS,seed dealers,Banks,custom operators,etc any one makes money in your community),sell beer and concessions or ,take apercentage,do a 50-50 raffle. Pay back a set pay out and pay as many as possible.This year we have use of anew chopper box 4 a year to give away (MEYERS) A lot of things to do and takes a lot of help good secetarys is a must

Re: Looking to start a local Pull - Advice wanted February 01, 2011 08:33AM
Thanks for all the info guys. The county gave me the green light for the pull today. So, officially, here it is:

Ladysmith O'Reilly Auto Parts Truck & Tractor Pull - Co-sponsored by UW-Extension
August 14th, 2011; Noon-till it ends

I've got $2500 from O'Reilly's to play with, and $1050 goes to the sled operator. So the rest is free to use for payouts and adverts.

Plan is to not charge a gate admission. I'm working on classes and rules right now as the county wants em to give to their insurance company (County is insuring it as it's happening in conjunction with their Junior Fair.)

When I get closer to a finalized rule set, I'll post it here.. Also, consider this an early invite to anyone who can come.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,573, Posts: 229,601, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,057, Posts: 225,855.

Our newest member BadHabit2