40 series Detroit ?? September 23, 2012 06:16AM
Is a 40 series Detroit considered an IH engine since is based on IH design?

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? September 23, 2012 12:25PM
some say it is and some it isnt. i for one dont know exactly what to believe other than what todd told me

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? September 23, 2012 01:15PM
Personally I'd argue no. Here's my logic:
A 40-Series never came in IH. It did come from the factory in Agco.

Was the 40-Series based on (or a copy of) an IH engine? Well, I don't think it really matters what it was based on, but rather what it is and it's not an IH. The Firestones tires going down the track were based on the pneumatic tire John Dunlop invented, but it sure isn't the same tire, it's a Firestone, not a Dunlop. The 40-Series is different and it isn't (and never was) an IH motor, no matter what its lineage may be.

Here's another example, during WWII the Government bought Jeep's from Willys-Overland Co. Willys couldn't keep up with production and Ford built Jeeps under government contract of the exact same design. Even though they were the same design (Willys design) a Ford Jeep is still a Ford Jeep and a Willys Jeep is a Willys Jeep. Almost identical (except a logo here and there) and parts interchange between the companies but a Ford is a Ford and a Willys a Willys.

A 40-Series is not an IH motor.

That's my $.02

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? September 23, 2012 08:44PM
detroit 40 series was purchased from navistar to be put in small truck market , it was put in agco front wheel assist tractors, ih turned motor and truck division into navistar after ih was sold to teneco, who owned case. dowmans have the paperwork showing navistar sold detroit 40 series to detroit, I have taken apart a 40 series detroit and it is a metric version of a dt 466. technically it was not built by ih, but it was built by navistar which its parent was ih. some parts are interchangeable between dt 466 and new generation and or 40 series detroit.

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? September 24, 2012 11:44PM
If you haven't seen one before, the intake air is pumped into the top of the valve cover. There isn't an intake manifold on the left side of the head.

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? September 25, 2012 01:05AM

Here is a picture showing the air going into the valve cover. I wonder what the thought process was behind that?

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? September 26, 2012 12:42AM
A regular 400 series head will bolt right on to the newer block.

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? March 06, 2017 02:24PM
Will a 414 crank swing in this block?

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? March 06, 2017 02:54PM
It would swing in the block, but it'd be awfully sloppy. The main journals are larger on the 40 series detroit.

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? September 25, 2012 01:50AM
Just saw one of these gone thru in the shop, was a mechanical engine, the head has the intake ports on top by the injector sleeves, the side of the head is completly blocked off, they use a round exhaust port rather than a rectangular port. The injector sleeves are the same as the old 400 series engines. A lot of metric bolts on the new 466's or 40 series Detroit than the old 400 series. Front crankshaft seals are the same between the two. Rocker arms are the same between the two, although some early 400 series had a different p/n rocker.

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? September 24, 2012 04:09PM
What about cylinder head?

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? March 08, 2017 02:00PM
Yes the bore centers are the same , the head bolt pattern is the same . It is and was produced by navastar a replacement engine for the ih. Go to your case ih dealer try to buy a factory replacement for your 1466. You will at the end of a very long process bring home a series fourty . Ask for a factory replacement not a remanufactured engine.

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? March 08, 2017 02:52PM
Facts are theres no such thing as a factory replacement for a1466 you will come home with nothing but maybe some numbers to some salvage yards or a number were you can buy a cummins re power kit

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? March 08, 2017 03:20PM
Okay Mr. Facts Let's State The Facts Here , A Maxforce engine Aka Series fourty Detroit , Made By Navastar Who If you trace it back bought The line who bought The line who was ,ih !!! If you trace it back THE Maxforce engine is the factory replacement. HATE TO State The Obvious !!! No Different than The 5.9 Cummins Replacing the 310 wuakash It's pretty self explanatory

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? March 09, 2017 10:09AM
The facts are cummins never replaced the 310. Case IH and Agco would laugh you out of the building if you tried buying one of those engine replacements

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? March 09, 2017 11:18AM
Facts are agco used a fourty series Detroit in a tractor. Maybe you ought to check the facts! Also case ih / navastar told me the maxforce is the replacement for a Dt . You might ought know the facts before you go stating stuff as ( facts) !

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? March 09, 2017 12:55PM
Facts it will be a cold day in hell when you can order that engine as a factory replacement for a 1466 from your Case IH dealer Yes a 2000 chevy was a factory replacement for the 1999 on your terms .I done told you ask the dealers for those factory replacement engines you mentioned you may get a number to a junk yard if your nice or nothing but a weird look from the parts guy wondering were this IDIOT came from and by the way I could just be the parts guy that gives you that look

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? March 09, 2017 11:19AM
Actually they wouldn't laugh you out the door. The reason it is a factory replacement for the Allis Chalmers is because they offer it in a Agco tractor. It isn't necessarily a replacement for a D21 or 220 or 210 but is allowed in pulling because it was offered in a two wheel drive tractor! And now you can run the maxxforce because it is now a replacement for the Detroit 40. It doesn't mean it ever came in the tractor or that is was meant to come in it! That's just how to factory defines it

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? March 12, 2017 04:03AM

Hi,
Discussions like this one are fun to read, because the two sides are arguing two different things and both sides fail to acknowledge the other's point. Smiling
FACTS is talking about "factory replacement" engines (engines that are factory engineered and authorized replacements for engines that are no longer available).
dss & Facts2 are talking about "factory" engines that are allowed to be used as "replacements" by the pulling organizations (name changes, buyouts, "family tree" cross breeding).
The "fact" is, that both sides are stating the "facts". Spinning
It's just that it's two different things that are being referred to...

Beer

Later .......

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? March 12, 2017 03:47AM
I did ask since FACTS had to throw it out there and CIH and AGCO both said yes can get them how many you want ? Funny how easy that was

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? March 12, 2017 04:29AM
The real fact is if go to a CIH dealer that is up on his parts system, the direct replacement 400 series block subs to Hypermax block. It states that you can purchase it from a CIH dealer or direct from Hypermax. The new block has a CIH part number.

Bill
DIGGIN HARD

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? March 12, 2017 11:44AM
Your dealer is full of crap yes he can get you as many as you want that's no problem.Little wood duck explained it exactly right .I was a parts man at IH for nine years. There was never a factory replacement engine for a 1466 when the 86 series came along the 66s were gone and yes for years you could still buy new 414s 436s and 466s from the dealer but no factory direct replacments other than the 400 series they came with .A factory replacement will fit directly in the model it was ordered for without modification or as a kit get the installation kit number from your dealer there will be a lot of relocating and changes to be made you can put them in your puller because we as pullers allow you if your organization lets you

Re: 40 series Detroit ?? March 12, 2017 08:14AM
Maxxforce and Detroit 40 series are not the same engine..... at all. Both are International engines. The DT 466 did not cease production just because Detroit ordered the exact engine for their applications. Perkins used the engines as well.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,565, Posts: 229,582, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,056, Posts: 225,843.

Our newest member BadHabit2