Rack a pinion steering October 14, 2012 06:19AM
Im setting up a new front end on my JD. We pull 9500# just wondering what you guys think? I have always and Hyd steering just wondering if you would put it on your tractor again if you had it over??
Or if you have other ideas feel free to post them.

Re: Rack a pinion steering October 14, 2012 12:08PM
call pobar, it is the best investment you can make for steering

Re: Rack a pinion steering October 14, 2012 12:28PM
Cut out the middle man and buy the parts yourself. The cylinder they use doesnt work as good as the system i've got for you. Order these parts and mount the pump like you want and make the mounts for your cylinder for steering and go from there. We have had 1000 lbs on the front and this helm pump/cylinder will turn the front wheels easily without the tractor moving.

[www.foreandaftmarine.com] <----you will need the Seastar HH5272 helm pump 2.4 cu/in

[www.surpluscenter.com] This cylinder works great I wouldnt use anything smaller for the oil displacement.

Once you get all of this stuff mounted get 2 hydraulic hoses made to go from cylinder to pump and your set. no hassle.

This will be about half the price of a pobar setup. almost half price exactly.

Re: Rack a pinion steering October 15, 2012 09:13AM
What all comes with the pobar system?Cylinder, pump, ect???

Re: Rack a pinion steering October 15, 2012 01:22PM
you have any picts on how you used that steering cylinder, u just mount body of it to the axle and then just run each end out to the tie rod ends? does it have to be centered or can cylinder be offset and still steer equal in both directions. i was going to use a single end cylinder and mount one end to axle and other end to the rod that is between both tie rods, which way is better? is that the best place to get the pump from? just switching my setup to this thanks for all the info.

Re: Rack a pinion steering (Skip the Milldle Man) October 15, 2012 02:00PM
Im just curious with that setup how hard am I going to have to crank on the wheel? Does it turn fairly easy?? If you could give me a call 920-366-0609 after 5 if possible thanks

Re: Rack a pinion steering (Skip the Milldle Man) October 15, 2012 02:34PM
The Helm pump has 4 ports and the cylinder has 2. Which ones on the Helm pump dont you use? Also hard is it to turn? How many turns on the steering wheel does it take to move the front tires? What class does tractors run with your set up on? Thanks...

Re: Rack a pinion steering (Skip the Milldle Man) October 15, 2012 08:13PM
So do you have to have a hydraulic pump also, or is this self contained (arm power)?

Re: Rack a pinion steering (Skip the Milldle Man) October 15, 2012 11:24PM
The helm pump is your pump. The system is a self contained, the pump hooked directly to your steering cylinder. To my understanding that you pretty much have to bleed the crap out of it to get ALL the air out of the system. As your turn the steering wheel, its pumping oil in what ever direction you want to go. It sounds good on paper, but my concern is how many turns does it take to start turning the front tires. At what point does the weight on the front end or the heavier weight classes make the system just flat out stop working.

Re: Hey Hotsmallblock December 02, 2012 06:28AM
How have you made out with your steering on your tractor? Curious on how your making out, cause I'm in the same boat as you are.

Thanks

Re: Hey Hotsmallblock December 02, 2012 07:47AM
Not done yet I have been working on other stuff first.

Re: Hey Hotsmallblock April 13, 2013 11:55PM
I know some pullers use a steering pump out of an older JD combine with wheel and all.

Re: Skip the Milldle Man January 11, 2013 02:33PM
I talked to you on the phone a while back could you give me a call again thanks 920-366-0609

Re: Rack a pinion steering October 15, 2012 03:02PM
How hard it is to turn depends on multiple things. For the steering system itself it depends on pump displacement, cylinder size, steering wheel size, and how far away the cylinder is from the spindle's centerline. The tires used and the front weight of the tractor will also impact the steering effort.

There shouldn't be a problem mounting the cylinder offset just make sure the ram is centered when making your links. One steering link will be longer than the other.

Assuming you have you're using your stock axle and have all the stock steering tie rods etc in place. I wouldn't see a problem using a single ended cylinder. Again make sure the ram is centered when the wheels are straight while mounting the cylinder.

On the helm pump. I believe you leave the ports labeled "s" and "r" for supply and return plugged and use the other two.

Re: Rack a pinion steering October 15, 2012 03:13PM
Thanks...

I dont like the rack and pinion on my tractor now. Was curious if this setup would be better than the rack and pinion or not. I'm curious if the double ended cylinder v/s single ended cylinder would be easier to turn.

Re: Rack a pinion steering January 31, 2013 02:18AM
If using the cylinder from Surplus Center wouldn,t you need inline ball joints on ends of ram If so where do you find them

Re: Rack a pinion steering January 31, 2013 03:55AM
Speedway motors, just a 3/4" heim joint I believe

Re: Rack a pinion steering February 01, 2013 08:17AM
with these setups dose it steer like the original hyd steering so to say you turn the wheel one turn and it steers the wheels 1/4 turn.... or put a different way.... your not turning your life away to make the wheels move?

Re: Rack a pinion steering February 01, 2013 10:00AM
you wont turn your life away but its not a stock 1066 setup either. It works great on the track because you wont oversteer if your front end is in the air.

Re: Rack a pinion steering March 31, 2014 02:02AM
I have purchased the above parts but am having trouble locating tie rod ends. Can they be regular tie rod ends that are straight or do they need a ball joint at each end? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Rack a pinion steering March 31, 2014 03:15AM
Which cylinder did you order??
I just ordered some of these parts today.. I ordered the threaded ends from surplus center also.. Plan to use the heim ends from them also..
[www.surpluscenter.com]
I think that is the one with the stud.. But I'll use one with out the stud on the cylinder.. Haven't decide if I'm going to reduce it down and get away from the 3/4 fitting.. Seems like a little over kill..
I'd really like on with the 3/4 thread thread with a 5/8 or 1/2 hole..

***Edit.. I guess I never looked that close at the picture.. I guess I'll have some wrong parts.. I thought the ends of the rods were male threads.. It looks like they are not.. Are they female threaded into the end of the cylinder Rod???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2014 03:21AM by JDGnut.

Re: Rack a pinion steering March 31, 2014 04:14AM
I have the 2.5x8x1.5 DA DOUBLE ROD HYD CYL
item number: 9-6688.

It has female ends on both ends of the ram. Can you use just a regular rod end or does it need a ball joint where it threads into the ram end? The ball joint would let it move a little when the spindles on the axle move in front of and to the rear of the ram. Does my thinking make sense or should I just use a stationary tie rod end?

Re: Rack a pinion steering March 31, 2014 06:07AM
I think it's going to have to swivel a little on both ends.. Friend has his with just an Eyelet on the cylinder rod end with swivel rod ends I linked to above on the ends of the tie rod..
I ordered the smaller 2" version..

Re: Rack a pinion steering March 31, 2014 06:44AM
go on psc motorsports and they have all the steering parts thats ehere i got mine

Re: Rack a pinion steering March 31, 2014 09:46AM
If you want shoot me a text I can send you a picture of what I did
920-366-0609 Jeff Kapinos

Re: Rack a pinion steering October 14, 2012 12:39PM
I've got a pobar I'll sell ya. Nothing wrong with it, using it now. I just prefer a rack and pinion. Half price if your interested. 573-219-1466.

Re: Rack a pinion steerin......to skip the middle man December 02, 2012 01:35PM
To "skip the middle man". Is there anyway to get a hold of you for a few questions on the helm setup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2012 01:36PM by AM.

Re: Rack a pinion steerin......to skip the middle man December 02, 2012 02:11PM
email me at deere5010@hotmail.com

Re: Rack a pinion steering February 01, 2013 06:52AM
Did a helm pump steering on my 4020,works great would not even consider rack and pinon now.not hard to steer at all.

Re: Rack a pinion steering February 01, 2013 08:52AM
Which cylinder and pump did you use? What was listed above?

Re: Rack a pinion steering February 01, 2013 09:49AM
is the pump powered by electric? trying to figure out how that would work?

Re: Rack a pinion steering February 01, 2013 10:03AM
the help pump is a contained system no electric involved at all or no reservoir. As you turn your steering wheel it creates is own pressure to move the cylinder in which the wheels turn.

Re: Rack a pinion steering February 01, 2013 11:03AM
PULLIN is correct.i did use the one above. I was a little worried at first but works great.use screw together quick couplers at bell housing for easy splitting. i think i used a 30in piece of hyd line off pump then a quick coup,then a 96 in piece to steering cyl. 2.4 helm and 2 1/2borex8in stroke dbl rod cylinder. 1/4 hyd hose.

Re: Rack a pinion steering March 13, 2013 01:56PM
whats the total cost for this system?

Re: Rack a pinion steering March 13, 2013 02:10PM
I got mine all put together Im very happy with the results!!!!!!!!!!! I had $480 for the helm pump, $200 for the cylinder, 2 hoses 8 feet long, 2 quick couplers I had in the shop, and about a 1/2 gallon of oil. Had to get a steering shaft machiened to go on the pump but other than that it was pretty painless!!!!!

Re: Rack a pinion steering March 17, 2013 02:17AM
you do not need to make a longer steering shaft if you mount the helm pump on top of the dash and it is close enough to reach.
hotsmallblock and i have mounted the pump under the dash and needed to lengthen shaft. also the helm pump has a tapered/
keyed shaft with a retainging nut, not splined shaft to fit steering wheel.

Re: Rack a pinion steering March 14, 2013 01:48PM
Thinking of doing the helm pump thing how do you get my jd steering wheel to attach to the helm shaft

Re: Rack a pinion steering March 16, 2013 04:34AM
Your going to have to get a steering shaft machiened to the lenght you need it off the pump. you could use any steering wheel you want.

Re: Rack a pinion steering March 16, 2013 01:47PM
do you need to have a shaft machined regardless of which steering wheel you use?

Re: Rack a pinion steering March 17, 2013 08:00AM
The pump has a tapered shaft with a keyway. Yes Im sure you will have to do something.

Re: Rack a pinion steering April 13, 2013 03:04PM
I been following this thread for a while now. I have to admit I'm about to pull the trigger and go with this setup. I have been having some problems with my rack and pinion. Curious... Looking for any other feedback... good or bad? Has someone tried this an not like it? My worry is with 1200lbs on the front it would be hard to steer. Also turning it a bunch of times to get the wheels to move a little.

How hard was it to get a tapered adapter with a keyway made? If I have the adapter it would be easy to hook it up to the steering shaft

Re: Rack a pinion steering April 14, 2013 04:06AM
Drill and tap the end of the steering shaft so it threads onto the helm pump. Then drill out some of the threads so it fits over the tapered part on the pump. With this assembled drill it for couple split pins to hold it in place. Works fine.

Re: Rack a pinion steering April 14, 2013 12:13PM
how well would this helm pump work with the stock steer cylinder on a 1466 ih? would it work at all?

Re: Rack a pinion steering April 14, 2013 01:41PM
should work fine with stock cylinder, but may be slightly slower, but easier to turn due to cylinder size.

Re: Rack a pinion steering August 25, 2013 04:57AM
We just put this setup on our tractor and love it as well, the one thing we learned is the helm pump is off a boat, so if your not to terribly fusy you can just get a regular boat steering wheel.That way you save alot of hassle and the steering wheel mounts right to the tappered shaft. The bleeding process was not to much fun but in the end it was well worth it.

Re: Rack a pinion steering June 11, 2013 11:52PM
My rack and pinion just crapped out last weekend. Any feedback? I see you have to turn the steering wheel alot to get the front wheels to turn? That an issue? Just making sure I do it right this time around. Thanks!!!

Re: Rack a pinion steering June 13, 2013 02:08PM
Any feedback??

Re: Rack a pinion steering June 13, 2013 02:58PM
Put it on it works good.

Re: Rack a pinion steering August 21, 2013 10:43AM
I have this set up and it takes a lot of steering wheel turns to get the wheels to turn. Any ideas on where I could improve it?

Re: Rack a pinion steering August 21, 2013 11:56AM
I think it works great,keeps you from over steering.Mine is 4.5 turns from center,not hard to turn either.nicest and simplest set up there is hands down. wouldn't change it for nothing.

Re: Rack a pinion steering August 21, 2013 12:36PM
Could it be that my helm pump is too small?

Re: Rack a pinion steering August 21, 2013 01:01PM
very possible,need a2.4 pump

Re: Rack a pinion steering August 21, 2013 12:41PM
how big is your ram????

Re: Rack a pinion steering August 21, 2013 12:52PM
Big enough to make her squeal!

Re: Rack a pinion steering August 21, 2013 12:59PM
dbl cylinder 8" stroke 11/4" ram.

Re: Rack a pinion steering August 21, 2013 01:27PM
It shouldnt take much more than 4-5 turns from center. Is there any air in the system???? The smaller diameter the ram the faster it should move.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,614, Posts: 229,670, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,064, Posts: 225,890.

Our newest member JD_8520