NOS on a pulling V-8? December 12, 2012 12:00AM
Does anyone run a big block V-8 with Nitrous? I'm running a big block gas with 400 hp or less, and needing a cheaper way to get power til I can afford fancy engine work. Will the engine hold up with NOS? Do you wait til you're running down the track full speed before using it? Is it just gonna grenade my engine?

Re: NOS on a pulling V-8? December 12, 2012 02:01AM
Not sure, but most associations don't allow nitrous, but yes your engine will hold up. It will hold a 100 hp shot, but you will need a good ignition system to fire it. Most systems have a main power switch to arm the system and then a micro switch on the carb that the throttle arm hits at wide open to engage the nitrous, or you cam put a push button on the shifter or wherever to engage it when you want.

Re: NOS on a pulling V-8? December 12, 2012 10:58PM
Good ignition system? I'm running an HEI distributor, is that enough?

Re: NOS on a pulling V-8? December 13, 2012 12:43AM
No, you will need a big coil, heavy plug wires, and a msd box. And you may need to close the plug gap a little. Nitrous puts more oxygen and more fuel in the cylinder making an over rich condition and you have to be able to burn it to get any benefit.

Re: NOS on a pulling V-8? December 13, 2012 03:17AM
If you're running cast pistons, I wouldn't go with more than 125 hp kit. Forged pistons will put up with plenty if the system is set up right. Listen to the kit builder, and use a low fuel pressure cut-out switch. Your HEI will be fine with a small kit. You'll need a good fuel pump for the extra volume. The need for a good ignition system is not for an "over rich" condition- if the set-up is right, the mixture won't be rich or lean. Higher cylinder pressure is why you need a good ignition system. Only use nitrous at WOT and at normal operating temps. Throwing nitrous at a cold or overly hot engine can result in a backfire, and that's not a good thing. I split 3 pistons once when I was rushed up to the line at Gateway with a cold engine. Set it up right and you'll be fine.

Re: NOS on a pulling V-8? December 13, 2012 03:26AM
Is there more chance of problems with a high compression engine on nos, I am running 15:1 bbc on Q116 fuel lots of good parts, wouldnt want to chance a blow up for a few extyra ponies, thanks for thoughts

Re: NOS on a pulling V-8? December 13, 2012 04:47AM
Must have made some rule changes???? I'm 100% certain that with the old rules you didn't need any more power!

Re: NOS on a pulling V-8? December 13, 2012 05:23AM
no rule changes just curios, a nearby association allows it in their 6500 open class, Dont look too good when the other guys are using a 200hp shot. maybe I need to put in a Detriot to even things out LOL

Re: NOS on a pulling V-8? December 13, 2012 05:48AM
I'd sure trade ya for one!! LOL Who has a 6500 open class?

Re: NOS on a pulling V-8? December 13, 2012 09:22AM
You may want to run vp nitrous blend in a seperate fuel tank. Make shure the timing is retarded more than normal.
I would look into a progressive controller, some of them pull timing out as well. it will ramp the amount of n2o so you dont
hit the motor as hard.
yellowbullet is a good place to learn from drag car guys.
When in rome do as the romans.

Re: NOS on a pulling V-8? December 14, 2012 04:06AM
IAMO had a 6500 open last season at a few of their pulls, mostly running pickups with a few mods and lite diesel some. went to a couple and realy liked the class, Im pretty sure some blue bottles were in attendance.. hope they keep the class for 2013, a little noise mixed in with the smoke makes for a good pull in my opinion

Re: NOS on a pulling V-8? December 14, 2012 06:18AM
Hell ya!! at 6500 that would be a good time.....If they are going to have it, it would be nice to know soon so I can start weight watchers. I think we may be that close on weight! LOL

Re: NOS on a pulling V-8? December 15, 2012 04:33AM
There are a lot of 6500 lb classes in the Wis. and Mn. area pulls. Both in Mods, and Diesel class.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,576, Posts: 229,605, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,857.

Our newest member BadHabit2