Oliver Engine OIl Pump December 25, 2012 11:19AM
To Oliver Engine Experts

I have a bored and stroked Oliver 77 engine that has always had low oil pressure. I recently replaced the main and rod bearings, and checked clearances and did not find anything, but the oil pressure is still low.

I have heard that it is possible to modify a gear pump from a 283/310 engine to fit the 77 motor and supply more oil flow with resulting higher pressure. Has anyone done this change? Does anyone have an oil pump they would like to sell?

Thanks
Rich

Re: Oliver Engine OIl Pump December 25, 2012 12:58PM
Yes, you can put in a gear pump from a 310 but you will have to deepen the oil pan. Your best bet may be to get one from 1555 oliver. Have you streched the spring on the oil return in the block? If your engine is still a splash lube setup, it will not hold a ton of oil pressure even with a new pump. Alot of guys choose to run the old style oil pump in big stroker engines because it doesn't pull as hard on the weak camshaft.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2012 12:58PM by Cody.

Re: Oliver Engine OIl Pump December 25, 2012 09:59PM
Hi Cody

Good point on the camshaft, and I wasn't sure about the oil pan depth.

Is the 1555 pump different than the others?

Thanks
Rich

Re: Oliver Engine OIl Pump December 26, 2012 01:37AM
A 1555 pump and pan is the same as a 77. If you find a 1800A pump with the cast iron pickup instead of the floating pickup used on most 283/310 pumps, it will fit in the 77 pan.

You have to grind on the oil pump body a bit to get oil to flow into the 77 main oil galley.

Re: Oliver Engine OIl Pump December 26, 2012 03:20AM
Thank you for the guidance, I would like to make this mod, does anyone knows where to find an oil pump?

Thanks
Rich

Re: Oliver Engine OIl Pump December 26, 2012 11:45AM
I have a pump on it's way to me, any other tips?

Thanks
Rich

Re: Oliver Engine OIl Pump December 30, 2012 03:51PM
Make sure your plunger doesn't have any wear on the relief valve in the front corner of the motor. Most are wore and don't get replaced causing low pressure. Replace it and the spring and see what happens. the spring is different on the 1650 even though the pumps are the same so you may be able to try one of those also. the cam bearing will cause low pressure also. hope this helps

Re: Oliver Engine OIl Pump December 30, 2012 09:55PM
Thank you for the suggestion, and I have replaced the relief valve spring, plunger and gasket, the old plunger was worn so it needed to be replaced. My issue is the engine loses oil pressure after it runs long enough to get good and warm, I am using the old Oliver gauges, so I do not know the actual value, but it is much lower than my stock Oliver engines.

Thanks
Rich

Re: Oliver Engine OIl Pump December 31, 2012 12:30AM
I hate to tell you this but measure the spring and valve, a few years back we rebuilt a 310 and didn't have oil pressure and the valve was machined incorrecly from the company. Local machine shop made one as the whole crate Agco had were incorrect. Maybe things are better but definitely need to be sure it meets spec.

Re: Oliver Engine OIl Pump January 03, 2013 10:48PM
ol George

Thanks for the feedback, I will pull the plunger etc and inspect the parts and the port in the block. I received the 1800 pump earlier this week, and I plan on going through it before I install it in my motor.

Regards
Rich

Re: Oliver Engine OIl Filter December 08, 2013 03:30AM
Looking for assistance, again

Back to the same Oliver 77 motor, I installed the 1800 oil pump last year and ran it all summer and oil pressure was definately better.

I decided to pull the engine and take a look at everything again,

Everything looks really good (Pistons and rings, camshaft and lfters, cylinder bores etc).

The crank bearings look good, except it is obviuos that some dirt has gone through them.

What is involed in convertting the bypass oiling system to a full flow oil oiling system?

Can it be done without taking the block to a machine shop?

Thanks
Rich

Re: Oliver Engine OIl Filter December 08, 2013 12:39PM
Any suggestions?

Re: Oliver Engine OIl Pump December 26, 2012 02:30AM
Those engines would only make 20-30 pounds when fresh, so a lot of people think that their oil pump is bad when their gauge reads that low. It doesn't help that the stock gauges don't have numbers on them at all, but that's just they way they made them. You can shim the spring a bit to make more oil pressure. It's on the right hand side of the timing cover, pointing out towards the frame, I belive it's around a 3/4" bolt head or so and might have a copper washer to seal the oil off, that's where the spring is located.

stroked 88 February 03, 2018 02:47AM
Im building a 88 puller from stock I want 5 5/8 stroke crank and i read use a 1600 to 1650 crank but i cant find one ? any suggestions ?or shop that might have one?
815.383.6046 or should i use my 88 crank?

Re: stroked 88 February 03, 2018 02:20PM
Call Maibach Tractor and then Coronett machine they stroke a lot of cranks and can probably just do yours

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 12:15AM by mh49.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,571, Posts: 229,596, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,057, Posts: 225,852.

Our newest member BadHabit2