Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 29, 2013 11:19AM
Just wondering how many farm stock pullers have safety features in their tractors such as steel fly wheels, scatter blankets, etc?

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 29, 2013 02:26PM
Steel flywheel
Clutch blanket
Tie bars
Air/fuel shutoff
Roll bar

2700 rpms
12000 lb Farmstock

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 29, 2013 02:53PM
Just the smart ones

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 29, 2013 03:37PM
if it is stock why do you need safety equip. it seems to me oem equip. would be good and most tractors stock do not run over 2550 rpm

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 29, 2013 04:33PM
Unless the pump goes wide open!! Everyone always thinks it won't happen to me, they don't relize the rpm's and the heat create a bomb ready to injure or kill someone.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors September 12, 2013 04:06AM
Cast to "save money", is it worth it?

[
www.uktp.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2013 04:06AM by Moline Oliver Cockshutt.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 30, 2013 09:43AM
why dont you talk to adam biehls family.. bone stock tractor flew apart. and i have pictures of one that the clutch flew apart at 2300 rpm going down the road. had 89 hp. 4020 diesel. dug down into black top 3 inches just to find the clutch finger which is an additional 7 inches long. trust me, if ur tractor flies apart and kills someone iknow and u survive, i will beat you to death. period.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 29, 2013 04:17PM
You never been to a farm stock pull have you.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 30, 2013 01:36AM
We pull farmstock and have and have all the safety stuff....wheelie bars, rops,steel clutch wrap, sfi clutch, air kill, tie bars, hand throttle with return springs, fuel dump valve, electric fan and soon skid bars on the front axle. We catch some crap at some of the pulls because our tractor must be too"hot" with all this stuff on it. I just laugh and say yeah all that stuffs gotta add at least 100hp and it also will help save my life. Was even told once not to show up at a pull because we had wheelie bars on our tractor. All you can do is shake your head sometimes!

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 30, 2013 10:18AM
Mr. Hot
Sure does show some major stupidity on the part of some pullers to have a problem with safety equipment on a tractor or truck. I personaly don't care to be around some of these pulls that want to run hot but without the safety equipment. Never was a fan of stupidity. Any tractor you run a inline injection pump should have all the safety equipment such as fuel shutoff, air kill, currently approved scatter blankets (not steel band) and sfi approved steel flywheel and clutch componates. I know I left some out, but you understand what I'm saying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2013 10:19AM by farmall puller.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 30, 2013 10:24AM
Why only Inline? Mine ran away 3 times mod. 100.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 30, 2013 02:17PM
if you are dumb enough to spend the high dollars on all the "trick pumps then I don't feel sorry for anyone who there pumps run away

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 30, 2013 11:25PM
such an idiot,people like you who think it will never happen to them are the ones who gwt ppl killed. didnt u read that guys post?? 2300 rpm driving down the road and stock clutch flew apart. pump never ran off u dumb----. do u know the difference between cast iron and steel? cast=someones death steel=someones safety. hope im never where u pull ur stock jalopy.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 31, 2013 12:15AM
Bad Medicine
Guess I need to reword my comment to say any "modified" injection pump instead of "inline" maybe would be a more correct statement. Maybe it would be better to just say all pulling tractor should have safety equipment because stock or not they are in a competitive sport so chances are they are modified to some degree????

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2013 12:24AM by farmall puller.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 31, 2013 12:24AM
Where can I purchase a new or used clutch blanket?

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 31, 2013 02:26PM
hey idiot if that were the case then all tractors used in the field should have safety equip, because all most all farm tractors run 2100 to 2550 rpm except older ih

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 31, 2013 02:27PM
oh ya and they do go down the road

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 01, 2013 02:20AM
One major difference is on the track you have people around the track. Your idiot if you think your tractor would never fail. Say if your tractor comes apart and just hurts someone but doesn't kill them your still going to be hearing from there lawyer. Then that person owns all of your stuff. The pulls instance covers them from being some what but doesn't cover the owner of the equipment. People like you ruin it for everybody else when insurance rates go up simply because there only saftey rule is it will not happen to me. Farm stock pulling is the most dangerous form of pulling around as far as being a spectator track crewman.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 31, 2013 03:56PM
Stock the 1206 turned 2400, the 1086 in 1980 turned 2850 from the factory, and the 466 engine in trucks turned 3200 from the factory the rpm shouldent be a prolbem. A engine can run away at any time plungers stick and other things happen. I saw what happened to a stock 4020 did when the flywheel broke at what I was told a idle it split the tractor in half. The saftey equipment cant hurt, but one accident could leave a puller with a accident that they will never forgive themselves for

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 31, 2013 05:08PM
Having all that safety stuff on a true farm stock tractor is a good thing, but I know of a lot of people that only pull a couple of time a year and making them put all that safety equipment on is just gunna make them keep them in the shed!!! It's hard enough for a lot of farmers to find time just to get all the spraying equipment, duals, and anything else they have on the tractor just to get it ready for a pull, and making more rules is just bad for farm stock pulling, lets just keep it simple let the farmer go to his local fair with thier stock tractor have a little fun with their families!!!

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 01, 2013 03:59PM
Something to remember is the heat built when slipping the clutch off the line. The flywheel and clutch were never designed for that kind of abuse, esp with more than stock hp and rpm's.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors September 12, 2013 12:02PM
All I can say is if you hurt me or one of my family. You better have good attorney because I will own you just because somebody didn't want to put a few dollars a safety stuff. Your a idiot if you don't think you are putting your assets on the line everytime you go to the track. And don't think a sign at the gate will protect you.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 31, 2013 07:49PM
You gotta wonder sometimes how some guys even get dressed by themselves sometimes, all that stuff on farm stock tractors???? Wtf,, yeah becarefull using them for what they were intended to do!!! Any accident that has happened was caused by modifying the product,, when you modify things you have to consider the out come,, a few didnt ;anything stock under 3 grand is fine, every post on here says-- ive heard of - ok youve heard of, have you seen it???

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors May 31, 2013 11:52PM
yes, i have personally had one come apart on me. pure stock 4020 hay baler tractor with 90 pto horsepower, non turbo. i put the clutch pressure plate and disc in new with the stock springs in the pressure plate. ran it down the road at 2300 rpms and made it about 500 feet from the shop when it let loose. knocked both battery boxes off the side, blew the bell housing clear out on both sides.could see straight thru the center. picked pieces of cast up no less than 50 yds from the scene that weighed close to 10 lbs or more. we also dug down 3 inches in the hot mix black top road to retrieve a clutch finger. never found the other five. tractor sagged about 2 inches at the belly and barely supported its own weight to get it back in the shop. had john deere techs and big wiggs come and investigate and it was ruled as a faulty pressure plate. it was obvious where the problem was. upon further inspection you could see an "air pocket" in the casting near one of the clutch finger stands. so to the people who dont beleive, i have pictures and would be glad to send them via text message. im not able to download them on here. i apologize. after john deere ruled it faulty oem parts, i was reimbursted with a new clutch, used bell housing, batteries, two hydraulic lines and all of my labor from start to finish. please know that this can and will happen to pure stock tractors, in the field or on the track. not saying they need all safety equipment in the field, but a scatter blanket would be 500 dollars well spent when heading to the track. i forgot to mention that the flywheel was unharmed, but was put in new after the accident. this whole incident was caused by a faulty pressure plate. and my oppinion of a farm stock tractor is one that stays on the farm and never hits the track. because once that hook on the sled hits the drawbar hitch it is no longer a farm tractor, it is now a "pulling" tractor and anything seriously damaging could go wrong. sorry for writing such a long story here, but just wanted to tell my story. thank you

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 01, 2013 12:31AM
Well where to start? As these tractors get older and the parts become more fatigued they will become more dangerous, at least I think that would be good to assume. I'm assuming your farm liability insurance is good for a incident that happens on the farm if you have a flywheel to come apart on a tractor assuming you haven't modified the tractor, but I'm sure when you leave the farms to go pulling you insurance isn't worth the paper it's wrote on, I know mine says it exempts "competitive sports" for coveridge. Next thing is these stock tractor will and do come apart at different RPMs and I've had a IH come apart in the TA clutch on a 560 that was running in the field with a turbo at 2500 RPMs. I'm telling you it was a real eye opener at the damage it did, if someone had been standing close it could have been really bad. This also happen back in the mid 70's when these tractor were not that old or fatigued like they would be today. So what I'm saying is THEY DO COME APART and they are very dangerous. I realize that the tractor was modified but it never saw a pulling track and was farmed with everyday, also it was running under 3000 rpms which seems to be the magic # that everyone thinks is safe enough to not need safety equipment. I know we like to play and it's fun to do so doesn't matter if we are running a ULLSS or a bone stock farm tractor, a hook is a hook and I assure you there is no one that enjoys it more than me but we have to remember that as these tractors get older they do become more dangerous, especially in the flywheel and clutch areas. Let's keep this sport as safe as we can which means we may need to do things in the future that we may prefer not to do.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 02, 2013 02:49PM
I pull in the farm stock class & have started putting all the safety equipment on mine. The steel fly wheel, clutch blanket, air/fuel shut off. Already have the roll bar, skid bars & wheelie bars on it. Life's too short to lose it due to wanting to safe a penny or two for your safety. A shame what happen to Adam Biehl. My heart goes out to the family.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 02, 2013 03:25PM
The days of a farm stock pull are over.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 02, 2013 03:25PM
At any of the pulls in my area if you roll in to pull farm stock with all that sh*t on it they WON'T let you pull in stock class because they figure if you have all that on it you aren't stock. Don't go blaming the pullers right away for not having it...here we aren't allowed to have it! Go figure!

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 02, 2013 03:31PM
Same thing around here!

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 03, 2013 10:47PM
Nick wehr could u send me those picsseven four zero five two five four nine one four

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 03, 2013 11:14PM
Same here. Didn't even want side shields on. Even the pro farms don't run them.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 03, 2013 11:36PM
Honestly, if I could afford all the safety equipment I sure wouldn't be pulling Farm Stock. Seems like a lot of items would be cheaper if I just went on to Hot Farm or other classes, but then I get to tie up several thousand more in safety equipment. I don't mind wheelie bars, air shut offs or even a blanket, but if we are gonna have to have cages, fire suits and $2,000 Flywheels/Clutches to pull in Farm Stock, you might as well just get rid of Farm Stock classes.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 05, 2013 02:04PM
I don't care what I'm pulling I'm going to have safety equipment on my tractor. It's a matter of being smart & doing the right thing to save your life or a spectators. I have seen a bone stock farm tractor running 2200 rpm blow apart & had never seen a pulling track. I agree with redpuller460, for the most part, plain, basic farm stock pulls are over. Every farm stock tractor out there has been modified one way or another. When organizations start letting you add things to your farm stock tractor, it is no longer farm stock. JMO

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 04, 2013 12:38AM
All Pulling tractors need to be as safe as we can get them. The safety of the fans and our families on the sidelines deserve that. As good pullers we should try to educate new pullers to the dangers of the sport without classifying them as stupid, ignorant, or retarded dumb--ses. Try to make the sport safer and better for all. Stock or Modified.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 04, 2013 01:22AM
We are up against the same issues for safety equipment in one of the associations that we pull in. They want the tractor to be stock appearing (at least that's what I was told), so they would prefer no side panel, ect. It isn't that costly to put on wheelie bars, air shutoff, fuel shutoff, and scatter blankets and we have done that. I'm not saying put in a steel wheel if you are running stock and I do mean "stock". We may add on tie bars for our own safety even if our association prefer we not because my safety is at risk not theirs with this safety item. We're only talking minimal cost here with these safety items an honestly if the cost of these safety items are to much then maybe you really need to take a serious look at your pulling budget and the safety of our spectators and fellow pullers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2013 01:25AM by farmall puller.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 04, 2013 03:50AM
I understand exactly what you mean. I went out this morning to cut some hay, I made it to the tractor realising that I had forgotten my fire suit, helmet and neck restraint. I turned around and went back to the house, only to find that they were all lost. Looks like the cows are just gonna have to starve, it's just not worth it. My tractor is turned up a little to handle the MOCO better, and I've updated to steel flywheel, scatter blanket, ladder bars, wheelie bars, skis, as well as air shutoff and fuel dump, just to be safe, but I really don't feel safe mowing hay anymore without the full setup. Hope everyone is safe out there.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 04, 2013 04:39AM
Hey guys, do you wan't to live or die, everyone that pulls put ton's of money in there tractors to win, if you don't win you go home and make changes to be better and buy more parts, we are in the new generation, adam's accident, Dale Earnhardt 1 man got killed and it changed nascar how much, tractor pulling the cost is pocket change compared to what that lead to. Adam was our friend and that's close to us and home, all we need is 1 of us to get killed, go pull hot farm, you have to have more safety equipment than ever, then to win you need a very expensive motor and trans. and more, then you will never win unless you keep spending ton's, my point is spend $2,000.00 or whatever get it over with and go have fund, get with todays times and get out of the 70's and 80's.I'm sure most of the tractors you pull, you put them back in the field the next day, I don't see how you keep them so clean and sharp every pull.If you are a true puller make it safe. SORRY GET WITH TODAY'S TIMES

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 04, 2013 05:11AM
Like I stated, if we could just make it so expensive that only the elite and entitled could afford to pull, then it would solve the problem. If you can't afford to spend $50,000 on a Farm Tractor to pull it in a farm stock class, then you should just keep your poor @ss at home.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 04, 2013 04:15AM
We need to just add so many costs and rules that it keeps all the pesky low people out of the sport and it can be a sport just for the elite and the entitled.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 06, 2013 05:59AM
I think it is very important to say the least that the "Hot" Farm or what ever the class you have locally that is turning some RPM's along with more then stock horsepower that is very important to say the least that a Steel Flywheel, Shatter Blanket along with wheelie bars and air/fuel shut off be standard always. I would also say that ROP's or rollcage and even a fuel check valve and dump valve should be considered. Having stuck the rack wide open on my fuel pump in the pits when there was people around it could have been a huge nightmare if I did not have the safety equipment on the tractor to shut it down.

I know that all of this costs money, but if you hurt or kill someone is that worth the thousand or so it would cost? There are many used items I see on Pulloff that could be used to meet the safety. And Promoters if you are going to disallow a puller because he has safety equipment or force him to pull in a higher class shame on you!! The only way this sport will last is for everyone to think of ways to prevent lawsuits, accidents and this will help reduce insurnace costs for everyone.

Bob Bauer

Diesel Deere

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 06, 2013 08:34AM
My final thoughts on this are...anything above farmstock should have whatever safety equipment is possible to have. If it's truly farmstock then the pulling rules should be as such: stock rpms, speed limit, and if someone cares enough to put wheelie bars on then more power to them. On the quick air drop sleds you come to a stop so quick and the front end can pop up so fast. Otherwise, all a truly stock tractor is gonna do is spin or power out and it is up to the PROMOTERS to make sure that the stock class is kept as such and enforce the rules. That's what it's all about-enforcing the rules!

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 07, 2013 04:44AM
If you can spend the money on putting a big pump and turbo on it then you can spend just a little more for a few basic safety things. If not for you then for the people around the track.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 07, 2013 05:12AM
If you are putting a big pump and turbo on it , then you are in the wrong class for Farm Stock.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 07, 2013 11:07AM
This is a AKA "Farm Stock" class this class needs safety stuff especially with the clutch area.
[www.youtube.com]

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 08, 2013 02:38PM
Voice of reason
This is a AKA "Farm Stock" class this class needs safety stuff especially with the clutch area.
[www.youtube.com]

They must pull one hell of a plow out in the field with those tractors if they need a belly bar for weights!

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 09, 2013 12:54PM
All this Farm Stock talk is great but I have seen a lot of videos of the "Safe" Professional tractors having some real catastrophes. I have also seen some in person. The modified that threw out the clutch. Wasn't that supposed to have all the safety equipment on so that wouldn't happen? What about the rolling rear wheels and front wheels. Not to mention the engine parts flying out even with the shields. Any time you have a sport that includes a motor and a motor head around you will have safety issues. I agree we all must run a safe vehicle but farm stock rules are not standard anywhere. Unless you have a unified set of rules through out the world you will never win this battle. We need a service truck to go with us to pulls. That way we can change our tractors armor according to that pulls rule book if they even have one! Maybe a banner 20' x 40' should be displayed at the entrance of all pulls saying Beware parts may come your way so stay as far away as possible !

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 08, 2013 09:07AM
Yeah big pump + turbo, im going farm pulling! Dmfers! Get a job and out of the sticks!

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors June 09, 2013 09:08AM
Indiana needs to have a pure stock class with lower RPM's have some lower amount of safety requirements needed just some to make it safe,10mph.and up or whatever MPH and also have a pro farm class with (10,000lb. gordyville pro farm rules) the best rules only more weight for the class (say 12 or 12,500lb.or what ever weight, they are already written and all the safety is there and the guy's that can afford it there you go, and Indiana would have one hell farm stock pull and more people would come to pull and watch,do away with those 4-6-8 mph classes there boring, someone putting a pull on try it and see.

Re: Safety for Farm Stock Tractors September 12, 2013 06:54AM
Safety will probably not enter into the picture for some local pullers, until its their grandchildren watching grandad pull at the county fair,that are killed.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,576, Posts: 229,605, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,857.

Our newest member BadHabit2