Spin-off topic: New sled design May 15, 2020 08:27AM
As a spin-off topic for the If you were NTPA president topic where the discussion changed to speed-

The basic sled design has not changed in years. Is there a new type of design that may be more efficient? Ideally, one that could stop the high horsepower classes with enough weight that could legally be hauled by one semi, and at a distance of 300-320'?

Has anyone ever thought "what if?" about a different type of sled design that may work as well or better than current designs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2020 08:27AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 15, 2020 11:04AM
move the box forward on the rails. Also, how come the same sleds that let runs of 350ft during the summer, can stop runs at 220 indoors?

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 15, 2020 11:08AM
theRightRearTire183
move the box forward on the rails. Also, how come the same sleds that let runs of 350ft during the summer, can stop runs at 220 indoors?

Different gearing.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 15, 2020 11:11AM
then why can't we stop at 320ft outdoors? Oh wait we can

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 15, 2020 01:07PM
theRightRearTire183
then why can't we stop at 320ft outdoors? Oh wait we can

The indoor gear would drop the hammer on an unlimited and stop them 250-270. I could be wrong but it would appear theres a lot of stress on a sled driveline to make that happen.

Yes. They can be stopped at 320 of course. Right tractor/driver/setup/track conditions is why we see some 350+ runs.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 15, 2020 11:31AM
I find it funny though how Vaughn Bauer says he can’t stop them before 350 feet and put on a good show

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 15, 2020 01:43PM
There is an easy solution but people won't like it much....

Sleds are linear devices....meaning there is a gear ratio that stays constant (even though you can choose different gears) though the run. You move X feet, you get Y travel on the box. Simple.

Solution: drop the gearbox and use a linear motor or encoder and ballscrew and servo drive. The box travel can now be anything we want it to be, whatever shaped curve you want. No longer are you tied to a simple mathematic equation. I think what is needed is a much heavier box that comes out slow and lets guys get going, and then really comes on fast further down the track.

Why everyone will hate it is because there will be all kinds of "witchcraft and voodoo" suggested by pullers who arent winning....you can hear the moaning now...."sled operator had it in for me and selected the wrong curve".

Non-linear sleds are the answer. The system could be designed in a day and built in less than a month. Who will answer the call?

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 15, 2020 01:50PM
dieselsmoke

Sleds are linear devices....meaning there is a gear ratio that stays constant (even though you can choose different gears) though the run. You move X feet, you get Y travel on the box. Simple.

Solution: drop the gearbox and use a linear motor or encoder and ballscrew and servo drive. The box travel can now be anything we want it to be, whatever shaped curve you want. No longer are you tied to a simple mathematic equation. I think what is needed is a much heavier box that comes out slow and lets guys get going, and then really comes on fast further down the track.

Why everyone will hate it is because there will be all kinds of "witchcraft and voodoo" suggested by pullers who arent winning....you can hear the moaning now...."sled operator had it in for me and selected the wrong curve".

Non-linear sleds are the answer. The system could be designed in a day and built in less than a month. Who will answer the call?

Hello. 2 questions about this idea-1
1) Would the sled look the same as the current sleds, and
2) Would the sled be required to carry as much weight as current sleds, or would the transfer be more efficient? Would this idea allow an unlimited mod to be stopped with the weight that one semi can haul to the track?

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 16, 2020 07:35AM
The Original Michael

Hello. 2 questions about this idea-1
1) Would the sled look the same as the current sleds, and
2) Would the sled be required to carry as much weight as current sleds, or would the transfer be more efficient? Would this idea allow an unlimited mod to be stopped with the weight that one semi can haul to the track?

1), No, all of the drive is currently more or less hidden. The new drive could also be totally hidden.
2) You would end up taking out a transmission and replacing it with electrically driven components. I am guessing the weights would be similar; maybe an electric drive would add 1k lbs? Just a wild guess. But I can't see it adding so much that it becomes unworkable.

What does a Bauer-style sled weigh, empty?

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 16, 2020 08:23AM
I think that more weight is the issue. Not only with having to haul it but also the additional stress on the drive train. However I am only repeating what I have heard from others.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 16, 2020 11:36AM
dieselsmoke

Are these alternative transmissions available and strong enough for a pulling sled?
Would you have to have a computer programmer on staff and on site at a pull to troubleshoot a sled malfunction?

I'd say just have some extra weight on site for the sled to use (that they didn't have to haul to the venue and stack it on the pan.
Maybe a low trailer with extra weight hooked onto the sled (a double sled or a cabooseSmoking this would probably be dangerous though

Your alternative transmissions might work if they are strong enough and everyone had faith in their consistency.

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 15, 2020 02:16PM
From my view,the box is at the front of rails at 3/4 track,when that happens the sled gets a bump from the box hitting the stops.then pan drops at exact time.the combination of the pan drop and grousers does the stopping of forward motion. When the pull is started the pan lifts off ground,the tractors weight is increased dramaticly,front lifts,and speed accelerates.we like the speed so pan has to transfer the weight to get the speed,that's what makes it hard,the speed.i dont want to return to the old days either..

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 15, 2020 10:39PM
The Original Michael
As a spin-off topic for the If you were NTPA president topic where the discussion changed to speed-

The basic sled design has not changed in years. Is there a new type of design that may be more efficient? Ideally, one that could stop the high horsepower classes with enough weight that could legally be hauled by one semi, and at a distance of 300-320'?

Has anyone ever thought "what if?" about a different type of sled design that may work as well or better than current designs?

The current sleds are way better than the 1970s-80s-90s sleds with the improvements made for speed and a better show for the fans.

Just have each venue that runs the unlimiteds keep a couple standard size chunks of weight on site and the sled operator can load them onto the pan. They weights will always be there and nobody will steal them.

The venue can buy them from a sled operator or have a local welder build them to a template size.

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 16, 2020 01:44AM
I am going to think way outside the box on this question. I am not sure if it's strictly of weight for the sled, rather is it a distribution of the weight? I realize this may sound crazy, but what if the cab of the sled was relocated to either the middle or the front of the sled. Raise the cab up and let the box pass under it as it travels to the front of the sled. By moving the cab forward the weight box could move farther to the back of the sled allowing the pulling vehicle to have good speed leaving the line and when the box travels all the way to the front of the sled there would be both the weight of the box and the cab now applying full downward pressure to the pan. I would also see if it's possible to move the sled motor forward of the sled wheels. I realize that dirt and possibly stones could hit the cab, however with proper shielding this can be minimized. This also would give the sled operator a better view of the vehicle hooked to the sled.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 02:02AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 16, 2020 02:46AM
Why don't we just move the location of the chain up on the sled? Hitch height can stay the same so no changes would be needed for the pulling vehicle.

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 16, 2020 03:08AM
If you raise the chain up it will be harder to get the lighter tractors and trucks off the line

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 16, 2020 03:22AM
Chain can be easily moved for classes !!!!!!

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 16, 2020 04:07AM
I'm with 8910 on this,but raising the sled chain is same as lowering the hitch on tr.its the chain angle that matters..I have owned 2 old sleds for over 20 yrs and speak from experience

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 16, 2020 07:03AM
I understand the chain angle theory. The only reason I mentioned the sled chain location was that there is only so much adjustment available on a hitch. I would think that it could easily be moved for different classes.

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 16, 2020 07:25AM
I don' think moving the cab is worth it at all. If you want more weight forward....just put some big billets on the side of the sled or on the pan.

Also, with some of the classes, I'm not sure having the cab nearer to the dirt spray would make things any better for the operator. Since I've never operated one....I'll have to leave that to someone with firsthand experience.

They do have "cab-forward" sleds in Europe.

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 16, 2020 11:15AM
I had a thought years ago about using a smaller sled with a fixed weight and no moving parts but then hooked to a cable on its back side. The cable would then be on a large drum that would have a resistance similar to a Wheel Dyno. This Dyno and drum would be fixed at the starting line and feed out cable as the tractor goes down the track. The fixed weight would give enough hitch weight to give the tractor traction. The cable could then be used to pull the fixed weight sled back to the starting line. The Dyno apparatus could be on a set of beams to slide to the desired spot on the track that each puller wants.

I know it's out there but it could solve some issues but creates others. You wouldn't be able to start grooming the track as quickly and the issue mentioned earlier about pullers not trusting the system. I've not convinced myself that there would be enough weight transfer to the hitch of the tractor with this type of system.

S'no Farmer

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 16, 2020 12:05PM
S'no Farmer
I had a thought years ago about using a smaller sled with a fixed weight and no moving parts but then hooked to a cable on its back side. The cable would then be on a large drum that would have a resistance similar to a Wheel Dyno. This Dyno and drum would be fixed at the starting line and feed out cable as the tractor goes down the track. The fixed weight would give enough hitch weight to give the tractor traction. The cable could then be used to pull the fixed weight sled back to the starting line. The Dyno apparatus could be on a set of beams to slide to the desired spot on the track that each puller wants.

I know it's out there but it could solve some issues but creates others. You wouldn't be able to start grooming the track as quickly and the issue mentioned earlier about pullers not trusting the system. I've not convinced myself that there would be enough weight transfer to the hitch of the tractor with this type of system.

S'no Farmer

For some reason, I think someone had a similar setup at an antique pull (worked ok for slow pulls) but a fast pull or malfunction could be dangerous for spectators (kinda like a wrecker boom/cable breaking) The slingshot effect of a cable would not be good.

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 26, 2020 06:28PM
I have a friend in western PA who knows a guy with a blue semi that is a sled with the cab at the front. I could get info from them if you want about the pros and cons of having that particular type of sled.

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 26, 2020 06:32PM
Mo
I have a friend in western PA who knows a guy with a blue semi that is a sled with the cab at the front. I could get info from them if you want about the pros and cons of having that particular type of sled.
*this is for plum crazy.

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 27, 2020 07:48AM
That sled is awesome and works flawless,absolutely bulletproof

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 27, 2020 08:03AM
I wouldn't swear to this, but I think a lot of sled operators prefer the rear location not to be far from the flying debris, but to have the whole works in their line of sight. If something is amiss on the sled, they will see it without having to rely on a tattletale light to alert them.

CP

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 16, 2020 11:57AM
Dick Morgan
I am going to think way outside the box on this question. I am not sure if it's strictly of weight for the sled, rather is it a distribution of the weight? I realize this may sound crazy, but what if the cab of the sled was relocated to either the middle or the front of the sled. Raise the cab up and let the box pass under it as it travels to the front of the sled. By moving the cab forward the weight box could move farther to the back of the sled allowing the pulling vehicle to have good speed leaving the line and when the box travels all the way to the front of the sled there would be both the weight of the box and the cab now applying full downward pressure to the pan. I would also see if it's possible to move the sled motor forward of the sled wheels. I realize that dirt and possibly stones could hit the cab, however with proper shielding this can be minimized. This also would give the sled operator a better view of the vehicle hooked to the sled.

Dick, your ideal makes alot of sense. The weight distribution is a big factor.

If I were a sled operator I'd be ok with riding on the back or maybe 1/2 way up the rails but I'm not sure if I'd feel very safe riding on the front of that beast (but then again, anything is possible with a good design and the proper safety equipment and roll bars).

Maybe some of the sled operators could weigh in on their thoughts / The sled operators & builders are very smart & talented and have produced some excellent machines over the years / I always enjoy seeing the different sleds and all of their nice fabrication work.

clearer photo added of sled attachment May 16, 2020 12:56PM
The Original Michael

sled caboose

just an ideal: small unit attached to the sled for the unlimiteds / box drops onto track 20 feet into the run creating more drag/see attachment

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 12:51AM by kevinh.

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 16, 2020 01:27PM
sleds we have now are more than capable, just use them correctly,add weight, move chain, limit speed

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 26, 2020 06:30PM
You are absolutely right. It also depends on the track EVERYBODY! Unlimited on a crappy track will barely get down the track, without the need of more weight from the sled. There is more than just the sled that matters.

Re: clearer photo added of sled attachment May 17, 2020 12:56AM
I added a clearer photo

this setup could attach to a sled and be low to the ground and have space for 3 or 6 of the sled weights / it could be set to drop onto the track for example 20 feet out etc.

this could be set to drop with a limit switch triggered by the box on the rails of the sled

just a thought

Re: clearer photo added of sled attachment May 17, 2020 02:14AM
so you are saying that they should add a second set of grousers to the sled? Three (potential) problems.

1) If it does drop at say 20ft, it would destroy the track, especially after the pan grousers drop. Guaranteed hook track

2) How are you going to back up this "trailer"? Do you have to unhook it from the sled to a courtesy tractor? Or does the sled operator get to back that up himself?

3) The whole idea of this topic is weight, how will this contraption be transported?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 03:04AM by theRightRearTire183.

Re: clearer photo added of sled attachment May 17, 2020 03:21AM
I've said on here for years that all motorsports revolve around the idea of who gets there first ,and with measurement of time.pulling needs to adopt this attitude of tined pulls of some kind,problem solved.

Re: clearer photo added of sled attachment May 17, 2020 04:23AM
why all the not needed drama, just raise the chain, according to class, speed,power,ect, very simple, no issues, no added anything, why make a problem when none exists, -- oh wait, that is the new way to solve problems when there are none.Adding any contraption would be a nightmare, sleds are sleek and efficient, no need to make it worse, over thinking anything makes it a negative, simple,cheap,easy, fast, RAISE THE *RICKI'N CHAIN ON THE SLED.

Re: clearer photo added of sled attachment May 17, 2020 05:01AM
I think raising the chain in any class would discourage pullers.the "ride/thrill" wouldn't be the same.would any unl puller show up knowing in advance that said org is gonna knock 7-10 mph off thier speed ??..you change the chain angle,I leave mine the same,they'll be hooking with me,guaranteed !!

Re: clearer photo added of sled attachment May 17, 2020 05:26AM
theRightRearTire183
so you are saying that they should add a second set of grousers to the sled? Three (potential) problems.

1) If it does drop at say 20ft, it would destroy the track, especially after the pan grousers drop. Guaranteed hook track

2) How are you going to back up this "trailer"? Do you have to unhook it from the sled to a courtesy tractor? Or does the sled operator get to back that up himself?

3) The whole idea of this topic is weight, how will this contraption be transported?

It was just an ideal for the unlimited class / all other classes don't seem to be an issue stopping.
Semis use a long chain to stop them.

It would attach to the sled with a hitch that would pivot a little (like a stinger axle on a lowboy trailer) and would allow for the rear of the sled tipping up during the run.
The wheels would be pivot (crazy wheels / like on a 3 point hitch bush hog)
You would just back it up and the wheels would pivot. That drawing is not to scale. It would just be a small unit enough to hold 3 or 4 chunk weights and would ride low to the ground.
Or as others on here have said - just raise the chain or lengthen the chain on the sled for the classes that are hard to stop or lower the drawbar on the tractor.

#3 NTPA or PPL would have to haul it in their entry trailerWinking
It would just be an variable cost of having the unlimited class / it could be a marketing opportunity - "this contraption is sponsored by Goodyear hydraulic hoses"
You would need a few spare air or hydraulic hoses on this rig for the first season-we will need to test this rig at farm stock pull to see if she will work.

It might not even work- just a thought for research and development.

Re: clearer photo added of sled attachment May 17, 2020 09:16AM
Good points by everyone...

An electronic sled moves everything into the future - think about it - variable rates on the box, variable apply on the pushdown, all written into code in a PLC (and not a laptop).

Everything everyone has said can be put into code and the friction force applied can be managed from super smooth to crack your neck.

I am sure mechanical / hydraulic sleds will be aorund forever. So will '57 Chevies. Time to jump a generation ahead and build the "fly by wire" sled.

That of course assumes the EPA doesn't show up at a hook and decide that our form of entertainment is no longer acceptable...

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 17, 2020 06:19AM
What classes are you people referring to having trouble stopping? Unlimiteds, four engine mods, & semis perhaps? I can't think of any other class that ever needs more than 10 weights on the sled at any given time.

Get your popcorn & a drink, I'm going to say a lot here...

So let's look at some facts here, the unlimited class is an NTPA only class, what sleds are essentially the only ones hooking that particular class? Bauer. How many events are the unlimiteds scheduled at that aren't two tracks or doesn't have a backup sled on site? Even at Wellington I believe Josh Morgan is there & his weights should fit in a Bauer sled. Another truck & trailer hauling extra weights isn't necessary, backup sleds are the logical answer. If you're hosting an NTPA GN event, as the promoter do you really want to risk your show on something as simple as a $20 microswitch in a sled malfunctioning & causing a breakdown which may take 2-3 hours to repair, if it's repairable at all??? And let's remember, there is only room for 15 weights in a Bauer sled, two sleds hauling eight weights each is 16. Also remember, the bigger NTPA scoreboard truck carries two extra weights at all times. I have never personally experienced running the unlimited class, therefore my input is limited.

Four engine mods can either be the 7500 NTPA class, or the 7800 PPL class, now you're talking about several different sled owners & operators, I think even Nearpass hooks the four engine tractors a couple times a year still. Now, in reference to the NTPA 7500 class, how many events is that class scheduled at that doesn't run two tracks or have a backup sled on site? I do not have much personal experience with this class but feel confident in saying that class only requires 12 weights, once again, the backup sled has you covered. Nearpass has a neat trick with his adjustable grouser spikes on each side of his pan that can be dropped down for added resistance. The PPL 7800 class is what I have more experience with, and again this class is rarely scheduled at an event with only one sled on site. I believe the only exception may be Goshen where it's me & Nearpass. While Nearpass weights won't fit in any other sled, PPL does have a solution as they carry four extra standard weights in their semi trailers. (Standard weight being 12"x12"x34-35" long, fits Bauer, Bungart, Love, Lowry & Hager sleds) The PPL class as everyone is aware of runs more blower overdrive & 300 lbs heavier than the NTPA class & therefore takes more to stop, but usually no more than 14 weights. I realize at Ellsworth last fall the Orange Ironman carried 15 on Saturday night & still had tractors way out, I wasn't there, I have no idea what the track conditions were like.....

Semis diversify the sleds even further, getting down to events such as OSTPA & USA East. Pretty much all sled companies runs some sort of a pro stock or super semi class. Hard tracks suck for trying to run semis, that's the biggest problem we face out east. A vehicle that weighs 20,000 lbs, makes 4,000 hp, with that much rubber on the ground is hell to stop when the track is hard & your grouser bars can't get down in the track to take a full hold, sometimes you need 14 weights for them. Then again in Goshen on a sandy track, I can stop them with 10 weights, but on average 12 weights with a little bit less gear & trip will let them get go 30+ mph & still stop in the 320 range. It is common for this class, especially at OSTPA & USA East shows to be conducted with only one sled on site. Most of us in the east can carry 10 weights safely, and if it's a track not in your favor, bump it up a gear & slide the trip back some more. Yes it will cut down on the ground speed a little bit, but you do what you have to do. Semis don't mind lugging as much as mods.

Now, road transport. With the addition of cabs & braces & heavier tubing & gadgets etc... the base weight of a Bauer or Bungart sled has increased some. How much, I can't answer that with an exact number. Bauer is rumored to have added extra weight into the weight box on his newest green sled, the extra bracing in the front of the rails increased weight, yadda yadda yadda. Some older sleds may be as light as 28,000 empty, the newer sleds may be as heavy as 34,000 empty, that's 6,000 lbs = 3, 2,000 lb weights. Trucks, Bauer's big fancy 389 Pete's are bad@$$, no doubt they can win the working class at MATS as well as drag a sled 2,000 miles with the cruise set on whatever you want to test ol super trooper with.... but they are heavy! And I believe a W900 KW is heavier still, I'm not a truck nerd so don't quote me on that. The truck I drive is a 2004 Freightliner Classic XL big bunk with a 14L Detroit, full of fuel & me & all my personal stuff in the truck only weighs 17,800 lbs. My sled is a 2003 Bauer, used to have the four post open cab but Richard added the New Holland tractor cab, my gooseneck is only 12' long, my scales are right at 2,000 lbs as they are an all steel deck with aluminum ramps, my old scraper was probably 5-600 ish lbs, and with my normal load of 10 weights I'm grossing 77,800 lbs. The newer sleds have either 14' or 15' goosenecks to allow for the bridge formulas, as well as 36" underbody toolboxes under the back of the necks.

Grouser bars, is a big can of worms with some people. "They tear up the track too much" is heard often. Outside of the occasional spikes & adjustable grousers going as deep as 4" plus, I don't know of anyone running bars taller than 3.5". Some are only 2.5" when brand new. The rake style attachments which have become so popular in track maintenance the last few years have teeth which work the track 1.5"-2" deep to keep the rollers & sled from forming a hard packed crust on top which big tires can't grip. So yes your sled bars are working a little deeper than that on the big end but they are essentially doing the same thing, a good track maintenance team will eliminate this issue.
As far as the bars themselves, here's the two main theories. Long/short bars, meaning they are long in horizontal length & shorter in vertical height. And then short/tall, meaning they are short in horizontal length & taller in vertical height. My sled has 14 bars, 14" long, 3" tall when brand new, and 8.5' forward from the back edge of the pan. Another sled owner who will remain anonymous, runs 22 bars, 7" long, & 3.5" tall, and his are only 6' forward from the back edge of the pan. The bottom edge of mine are 1/2" thick to engage the ground, his are 3/8" thick, the thinner they are the easier they will penetrate. Sorta like trying to stick a screwdriver in the dirt versus the boxed end of a wrench. I pull on lots of looser or mealy type tracks out east & down here in the Carolina's. I usually don't have much trouble with heavy clay tracks, but watch any of the videos from Hagerstown MD last July & you'll see extreme cases of the sled not accepting the track. The other style bars are meant for heavy clay which gets hard, his bars are specifically meant for that type of track, he sacrifices some "holding" power in looser tracks & may have to run a gear faster or a weight heavier, but in general the two designs work pretty well in all conditions, but each one will perform more ideal for what it was intended for.

Pushdown pressure. I experienced first hand the issues when the accumulator nitrogen pressure drops two years ago. The nitrogen charged bladder style accumulator in all modern sleds is what powers the pushdown cylinders on the back of the pan when the box tops. The nitrogen pressure is the "spring" that pushes the fluid to the cylinders. You can put all the hydraulic pressure in that system you want, but with the nitrogen pressure down considerably, it looses much of it's ability to push the bars in the ground & lift the back of the sled. When the pushdown won't lift the sled axles off the ground, that's dead weight not being transferred to the pan. There are several different theories to these pressure settings, personally I prefer more pressure & a faster reaction from my pushdown. I like it picking up all 8 tires with four weights in the box allowing me to run the trip all the way forward, getting as much ground speed as possible before dropping the anchor & stopping before the white lines end. More weight in the box just means she will pick her butt up higher on the big end.

Sleds are kinda like tractors, balance it at the starting line to take off, use the proper amount of weight (less weight is less rolling resistance = faster), pick the right gear to catch them, leave the trip as far forward as possible to get the most speed as possible, then set the pressure accordingly to make it transfer all of its weight onto the pan when it tops out & rolls over. And grouser bars are kinda like tire bar height & angle, too much & your grabbing too much dirt & risk bouncing & becoming violent. Not enough & your loosing your holding/stopping power.... And always remember the constant variable of the tracks, what works in Iowa, probably won't work in Tennessee, and neither of them will work in New York on a stone dust horse track.

good answer May 17, 2020 06:36AM
Thank you Logan!
Good answer.

My next post was going to be for you or Richard to come on here and give some words of advice.Thumbs Up

The unlimiteds is usually the only class that can possibly pose a problem and the extra weight on a back-up sled is the answer / all of those events have 2 sleds on site anyhow.

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 17, 2020 07:32AM
Well put Logan I'm not here to start trouble but I have been reading all these comments and needless to say until you have ran a sled some of these ideas are well let's just say a little extreme. I'm going to put my two cents in and I'm going to keep it very simple, the biggest problem in tractor pulling is everyone has gotten spoiled with these newer style sleds that are made to go fast and stop hard. I do agree that a lot of people need to upgrade some areas of their sleds. We have been pulling for many many years and the main goal or should I say Golden rule is 300 ft, later become 310 and today's standards the golden rule is 320. Now to my knowledge the same vehicles were pulling 300 feet when it cost $100,000 to build one, now it cost I'm just guessing close to 500,000. So with those numbers you have spent four hundred more thousand dollars to basically go 20 feet farther.
The only thing that has changed is the speed people want to run 35 miles an hour and myself I love to go that speed also but we could save several thousand dollars and just simply slow this stuff down just a little bit and I'm not saying 20 miles an hour I'm saying keep things around 30 and all these problems that you guys have will go away it's really hard to go 10 miles an hour faster and basically the same amount of distance that technically means you have to stop almost 20% faster on the big end the numbers just don't work out if you're going to go 35 miles an hour instead of 30 then the maximum distance should be farther!

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 17, 2020 07:39AM
Logan thanks for a great explanation of the operation of the modern sled. The engineering and technology that goes into building a sled is amazing. Couple that with the reliability of today's sled's and it is one of, if not the biggest improvement's in the sport.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 18, 2020 12:02PM
Not sure if this idea is even feasable but what about adding another set of axles? Make the sled a triple axle instead of a dual axle. It would add some additional weight to the sled but also would have the ability to haul additional weight down the road. But, does that additional weight going down the road require different licensing/permits. Maybe that 3rd axle would "float" instead coming off the ground adding some rolling resistance or have braking applied to it. Maybe I'm thing way outside the box lol

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 18, 2020 12:36PM
TWaite
Not sure if this idea is even feasable but what about adding another set of axles? Make the sled a triple axle instead of a dual axle. It would add some additional weight to the sled but also would have the ability to haul additional weight down the road. But, does that additional weight going down the road require different licensing/permits. Maybe that 3rd axle would "float" instead coming off the ground adding some rolling resistance or have braking applied to it. Maybe I'm thing way outside the box lol

I think Logan summed it up pretty well in his post above.

I think him and the other top sleds pretty well have it covered.
That's one of the best summaries of sled specifications that I've heard.

No need to re-invent the wheel.

They do a great job putting on a nice show for the pullers and the fans. They put alot of hard work into those machines in order to make many runs up and down the track handling alot of horsepower.

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 17, 2020 07:44AM
I was waiting for you to chime in sometime Logan...Beer

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 18, 2020 10:17AM
Another request: A new sled design should include a bottom of pan design that does the least damage possible to the track. There is a statistical advantage at many tracks to the pulling order. Much too often you hear "it's a numbers game" - meaning those that get a good number will win. Everyone knows about the sun going down and the moisture coming up and tracks getting better because of it. But why would a track get better in a class that starts at 10pm? It is b/c every time the plows or grousers dig in - it is a little easier to plow through that spot. A few more inches (or feet) with every puller. The packing equipment can never pack the dirt back in as tight between runs as it was before being dug up. The grousers or v blades go into the same spot and it is a little easier to dig through that spot each time. The result is that the late pullers often have a statistical (real) advantage over the pullers with an early draw directly bc of the damage the sleds are doing to the track. How popular would drag racing be if, after 2-3 passes, the track was significantly different. I know drag strips can change over time with the rubber stickiness and track temp - but it is often similar enough between two competitors to be mostly fair. Drag racing does not compare the times of a competitor that makes a pass at 2pm with one that makes a pass at 9pm to declare a winner. That's basically what pulling is doing in a large class when the sled is significantly digging the track every pass.
Bottom line: Stopping the pullers with weight and not by plowing the track will result in more fair competition from beginning to end of a class. No matter where you are and no matter what type of soil you pull in.

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 19, 2020 12:21AM
Not sure the comparison to drag racing is totally accurate. Ask any racer hosed by lane choice. They aren't looking for consistency vs time, they are looking for consistency vs the other side of the track. It's the paradigm of that sport.

Pulling's paradigm has always been variable track conditions since day one. I do see your point about maximum consistency, but a track is a living thing. It's just how it goes and a good driver has to be able to adjust... Which sorta brings me back to slower sleds instead of the race sleds... Tim Arfons commented on a podcast recently that old sleds took a lot more driving than the point-and-squirt sleds of today.

I'm rambling... lol.

Re: Spin-off topic: New sled design May 19, 2020 01:34AM
CPR,

I one thing I've noticed in watching old pulling videos is that the tractors back then were all over the track. I personally don't think it has to do with the speed but rather the parts. The parts inside the differential and the cut of the tires made a huge difference in the behavior of pulling tractors. If we were still using the differential parts of the old days as well as the big cleats on tires combined with today's speeds I think you would see some very serious crashes on the pulling tracks.

S'no Farmer

Towed Sled Attachment May 19, 2020 09:49AM
Could well be. Speaking of the towed attachement idea, what is going on here?

CP

Re: Towed Sled Attachment May 19, 2020 11:22AM
Back to where it began, my tractor better than your tractor, the Nebraska test vehicle was a tow behind lol.

Re: Towed Sled Attachment May 19, 2020 12:20PM
cpr
Could well be. Speaking of the towed attachement idea, what is going on here?

CP

That is the sled caboose!
For unlimited garden tractor pullingHot

Just like the old Louisville & Nashville Train / just keep adding cars and hook up an air brake line / we will get that pulling tractor stoppedCool

Caboose operator: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 12:24PM by kevinh.

Simpler Design May 20, 2020 03:49AM
A much simpler design for a non-linear increase in drag would be to divide to weight being transferred to 2 separate weight boxes on different gear ratios. We could keep the simple proven designs but be able to divide the transfer of weight between 2 different transfer speeds. This would effectively make a progressive weight transfer & pull and do away with the sudden jerks as well

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,618, Posts: 229,674, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,064, Posts: 225,890.

Our newest member JD_8520