Farmstock rules February 08, 2015 11:35AM
In the process of trying to make rules for a farm stock classes. Whats the best way to enforce rules is it speed or RPM? Thanks for the advice.

Re: Farmstock rules February 08, 2015 11:51AM
Both. Also may want to put a tire size on it and 20" hitch height. You going to do engine ci limit and turbo size?

Re: Farmstock rules February 08, 2015 12:07PM
The best way to make rules for any class, especially a farm stock class, is to have in mind a certain tractor that you would like to win. Maybe you can start with your own and just build all the rules around it, so that you can run your tractor and nothing better can run in the class to make sure that you are the top dog.

For example a 4430 john deere:
Allow A-pumps, but only if it was stock on the tractor.
Make P-pumps illegal
Say that you have to run a stock block with no replacement blocks allowed.

There are lots of ways to do it, these are just a few examples.
Feel free to get creative.

Re: Farmstock rules February 08, 2015 01:25PM
RuleMaker
The best way to make rules for any class, especially a farm stock class, is to have in mind a certain tractor that you would like to win. Maybe you can start with your own and just build all the rules around it, so that you can run your tractor and nothing better can run in the class to make sure that you are the top dog.

For example a 4430 john deere:
Allow A-pumps, but only if it was stock on the tractor.
Make P-pumps illegal
Say that you have to run a stock block with no replacement blocks allowed.

There are lots of ways to do it, these are just a few examples.
Feel free to get creative.

I like rule maker's answer:-)
I remember in the 80's, our FFA and YFA had tractor pulls and I would assist with weighing and teching. I didn't want to tech, but no one else would.
That class was the biggest pain in the a#% to tech.
Reason: there were no rules and no farm stock associations for rules. & we were in high school and didn't have a clue of what we were teching.
30 years later and 3 tracks later, they are still having pulls and still the same issues of enforcing rules in a "stock" class:-)
I'm speaking of Versailles, KY
1st track was next to the High School 1970's
2nd track was behind Simmons Elementary School 1980's
3rd and current track is on Lawrenceburg Rd. 1986
My point is, the pulls were fun to watch but any class that has the name stock in it, is hard to enforce.
Happy Pulling in 2015

Re: Farmstock rules February 08, 2015 12:09PM
If its a true farm stock how can you limit CI, and a true farm stock shouldn't have a monster turbo on it either.

Re: Farmstock rules February 08, 2015 12:39PM
Rules here for farm stock are: stock appearing injection pump in stock location. 3LM out of box turbo, engine must match sheet metal, sheet metal must match rear end (example no 466 in a 4020 or 1256) 3000 rpm, tip bars mandatory, no cut tires, 8mph classes and 12mph classes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2015 12:40PM by Brandon Holcomb.

Re: Farmstock rules February 08, 2015 12:51PM
Remeber a 6030.4440 come with A-pumps. How is this fair to the IH guys?

Re: Farmstock rules February 08, 2015 01:42PM
A well built model 100 or a well built roosa master with a .450 head will give an A pump a run for its money in a farm stock setting. The D21 that won the Mo State Fair had a Roosy on it and put several inches on 4440s and 4450s with A pumps.

Re: Farmstock rules February 08, 2015 01:00PM
Very simple. Make a class for each tractor and let them run their own rule. Only pay hook fee with no pay out.
Should make everyone a winner,

Re: Farmstock rules February 08, 2015 01:01PM
Those two words that are sure to take up most of the first page within a few days- farm stock. Better hunker down on this one.

Re: Farmstock rules February 08, 2015 01:11PM
a true stock farm tractor shouldn't be able to pull faster than 10 mph.

Re: Farmstock rules February 08, 2015 02:16PM
A true farm stock tractor won't pull even close to 10 MPH

Re: Farmstock rules February 09, 2015 10:21AM
I pull farm stock with our 4440 with 20.8R-38, I run around 2800 RPM's and I can get up to 12 MPH with and quad range (B 3/4) and spin it out.

Re: Farmstock rules February 09, 2015 12:04PM
Pulling farm stock is one thing but a stock farm tractor will need some work to spin out at 5 MPH.I can make over 20 MPH with my farm stock puller but it is not quite stock LOL

Re: Farmstock rules February 09, 2015 10:33PM
Pullers always make it difficult on themselves by not following the rules.

Farm stock is farm stock. It means you better be able to go off the trailer turn the pump down air the tires up a bit and plow all day. My 1066 will pull H2 T/A forward using a drop pan sled and knock the tires off. Stock pump just has screws turned, 3lm, factory drawbar, working hydraulics and PTO. But still is working its ass of in the field.

Everyone knows what a tractor that's to hot for the class pulls like, so when they pull and stick 30ft on everyone make him aware that that hook doesn't count for farm stock and will have to pull non comp or move to hotter class. It's not that hard. The younger generation wants to get started so why make it so hard. Farm Stock class, the rules are in the words.

Bash away.

Re: Farmstock rules February 09, 2015 11:09PM
mr "loves pullin". how do you figure putting a 3lm 466 turbo and turning your pump screw up to be farm stock? I had a 1066 that I could turn up with a stock pump and stock turbo and get between 300 and 325 hp easily.. the 1066 only came out with 135, so how is that considered farm stock? your statement makes no sense at all.. leave the screw and turbo alone and pull from a twisted clevis off the drawbar with your 18,4 38 that a 1066 came with from factory and then you have a farmstock tractor!

Re: Farmstock rules February 10, 2015 12:13AM
I understand the idea of a farm stock class I have pulled in them many times over the year but they take much more work for the club putting on the pull, and they are always in question. I know guys have set the tractor on the dyno then turn them up, or have seen the tractors where the pump is adjusted so the tractor gets the fuel dumped to it when the rpm get to a spot. The big thing is to bring the fans to the pull and slow tractors that have no power don't put on as good of a show. !00% farm stock put most fans to sleep, but they do wake up when someone puts 30 feet on class with lots of smoke and a little fire.

Re: Farmstock rules February 10, 2015 09:32AM
Well mr obvious was that a dyno proven 300-325? Cause I call bullshit. Real dyno too, not where some moron pulls it down to 700rpm and claims it made 325.

It's farm stock cause A. What 1066 hasn't had the pump jacked with anyways. B what 1066 doesn't run a 3lm when the stock to4 takes a dump, and finally C it will run in the field as it is set up. With only change being a twist of a screw. And yes I run a factory 2 piece hitch and clevis. Oh and most 10s around here been upgraded to 20.8.

Re: Farmstock rules February 10, 2015 12:22PM
point proven, everything you just stated are things and excuses people used to use to get the upper edge on the guy really using his tractor to farm with. nothing you said makes your tractor "farm stock" except for the drawbar statement. and yes, it was on a 500 horse pto dyno calibrated yearly and owned by a john deere dealer. and I would venture to say that I have dyno tested more tractors than you could ever dream of, beings that is what I do for a living. if you knew your 1066 as well as I did you would know what I a saying is true. just sayin

Re: Farmstock rules February 08, 2015 01:19PM
Would be nice if rules for each class were consistent amongst WCIP, IAMO, NE Nebraska, NW Mo, Great Plains, etc.

I know this is easier said than done but would allow for more opportunities to hook in a year and get some more tractors to the events.

Just a thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2015 01:21PM by SWI-REDPOWER.

Re: Farmstock rules February 08, 2015 01:46PM
Missouri Farm Pullers and North Missouri Farm Pullers are pretty well running the same rules this year. Im not sure what the farm rules are in Iowa

Re: Farmstock rules February 08, 2015 03:42PM
Farm stock is a misleading name but that's how it is. Where I'm from a farm stock tractor is set up like this-
11,000#
Stock engine cid for model of tractor
2850 rpm
stock appearing pump -no p pumps allowed
no speed limit
20.8x38 or 18.4x42
pressed steel allowed
you could say a box 3lm turbo but a lot of clubs are turning to an s300 box turbo for reliability. not much bigger really.
Crowds like classes with no speed limit.

A tractor properly built to these rules will make near 400-550 HP

Re: Farmstock rules February 08, 2015 11:05PM
IAMO hasn't had a Farmstock class for several years, turned it into a Hot Farm class. Reason was not enough tractors.

Re: Farmstock rules February 09, 2015 12:14AM
I'd like to see something like that up here in the Northeast. There's antique pulls everywhere, but farmstock classes around here would be hot farm most anywhere else. Personally Im not a speed limit fan ( I run a Hot farm) but for entry level and beginners I like the idea, helps take the burden of the family wallet especially if the whole family is pullin'. I love pulling eventhough its taxing on the wallet, but there needs to be a good consistent rule make up for farm stock tractors.

Re: Farmstock rules February 08, 2015 11:22PM
We've got some young guys just starting to get interested in pulling and want to just pull something right off the farm and not put any money in it or tear anything up. We're considering 20 inch x 18 inch drawbar, OEM drawbar only, no cut or sharpened tires, stock RPM's, 3 or 3.5 mph speed limit. That way you can pull almost anything or any combination motor frame, any weights, any tire size, any color. Just let the speed limit take care of it. We have our normal safety rules too. We have hotter classes too with more speed for the spectators. This is mainly because our club membership is getting older and less of them and we needed an inexpensive class to get some young blood interested. Yeah, it can be like watching paint dry, but it isn't that way for the family watching their kids make their first pull. We also have a powder puff class for the ladies and a beer puff for the guys. Everyone pulls the same tractor, one of our club member's tractors. We have big trophies for the ladies and a 24 pack for the guys. Great to get those interested that don't own a tractor. It's not unusual to get 10 to 20 women and 20 or more guys to sign up in the puffs.

Re: Farmstock rules February 09, 2015 01:20AM
In today's world of tractor pulling you call it Barnyard Stock 6mph can't exceed 3000 RPM's and use a pace tractor. I don't like MPH classes no more than the next guy, but it's the fairest way to do this class if you are taking tractors used on the farm and want to have a pull with them. Enforce the pace tractor rule too. I've seen 200hp tractors outpull 400 -500 hp tractors in a12000 lbs class when speed limit is enforced. Good Luck.

Re: Farmstock rules February 09, 2015 06:08AM
Thats what happened around here.....John Deere uses a 466 as a reman so "factory" engines got out of hand real quick. Never new a 4320 had a P pump! Farm stock tractors should'nt have flames shooting from the stack either. Dont know how planting a machine will do running at the tune. Im not bitter, but thats what the younger guys interested in pulling are dealing with trying to enter in these classes.

Re: Farmstock rules February 09, 2015 01:15AM
3000 rpm or less speed limit 10-12mph stock appearing pump,stock manifolds(people like to put different manifolds on),3lm or equivilant,20.8x38,184x42,or any size with factory cast,dont have a big payout when money is involved people start to spend.

Re: Farmstock rules February 09, 2015 01:38AM
Speed limit is the big equalizer, but don't forget about tire size. In this neck of the woods (Western Penn.) There are speed limits, RPM limits (2500 or 3000), tire size (no cuts) and turbo limits (3x3 and only if factory equipped, so no 4010s with turbos in the stock class) at most of the fairs. Tires are generally limited to 18.4-38 up through the 9500 class, which is more than generous since most working tractors in that weight range have 16.9-34 or even 16.9-30s on the back. Speed limits are 4 mph from 55-75, sometimes even 95, but more often it's 5 mph in 9500. After that 6 mph works nicely.

As for the matching sheet metal to engines, I'm sure it's happening, but there really aren't enough tractors total in the area to be getting that knit-picky. I'm not a fan of it myself, but it's just a reality.

With the above mentioned rules in play, it's actually very competitive in the stock classes and you need to do your homework to get into the money, which is all any competitor can ask for, considering how it's becoming more about cubic dollars no matter what class you pull.

Re: Farmstock rules February 09, 2015 02:33AM
I pull a farm stock class sometimes with an association and it's a joke. Rules used to read stock pump in stock location until the powers that be put a 7700 combine engine in their 4010.

Re: Farmstock rules February 09, 2015 10:54AM
Illiana Pullers Assoc.

Farm Stock Tractors

Drawbars

1.Drawbars shall meet the following: drawbar to be a minimum of 2 square inches total steel material at any point. This includes the area of the pin with the pin removed. The pin will be a minimum of 7/8 inch. Drawbar must be equipped with a steel hitching device not more than 1.5 x 1.5 square, (or 1.5 round), and with an oblong shaped hole 3.75 inches long and 3 inches wide. No drawbar support tubes attached above the centerline of the rear axle, unless using the stock drawbar support for that make and model. Absolutely no drawbar supports designed to pull only from, or to be attached only to a point above the centerline of the rear axle.

2.Drawbar maximum height 20”

3.Drawbar to be no shorter than 18”

Engines

1.Each competing vehicle must have a working RPM pick up on their vehicle. The pick up must be wired uninterrupted to a common 3 prong household electrical receptacle that is to be mounted on the back of the vehicle directly above the drawbar area. The pick up

MUST be in working order during competition. If a competitor’s pick up does not work at an event, a competitor may be hand tached immediately after leaving the track after a competitive pass. A competitor must be tached trackside. If a competing vehicle leaves the track area before being tached, the vehicle will be disqualified.

2.If a competitor’s pick up does not work at an event, they have until the next event to repair the problem. A competitor will not will not be eligible to compete 2 event entries in a row with out a working pick up.

3.Engine must be stock block for that make or model.

4.Engines are limited to agricultural produced intake and exhaust manifolds.

5.No intercoolers allowed. OEM agricultural intercooler manifolds are allowed with out any cooling assistance hooked up.

6.Tractors are limited to 505 cubic inches unless make and model of tractor is offered with larger displacement from the factory.

7.Factory produced vehicles greater than 505 cubic inches are limited to the factory offered displacement of the vehicle. (i.e. JD 6030 is limited to 531 cubic inches)

8.Engine RPM is limited to 2750 maximum.

9.Farm Stock tractors are limited to a single turbocharger with a 2.330” inducer bore restriction within 2” of the face of the intake wheel.

10.No air-cooling agents.

11.Farm Stock tractors are limited to stock appearing injection pumps with factory dimensions for make and model of vehicle being entered.

12.No aluminum or aftermarket heads are allowed

13.Engine must be stock appearing for that make and model of tractor.

Chassis

1.Tractors are to be stock appearing. This is a Farm Stock class and should be presented as such.

2.All housings must be stock appearing for that make and model of tractor.

3.Must run OEM axles and axle housings for that make and model of tractor.(including Planetary axle)

4.Fenders are required.

5.NO Chrome or aluminum wheels allowed(front or back)

Re: Farmstock rules February 09, 2015 01:30PM
This is a $ 7,500.00 tractor A pump 505 cid 10 mph ,no advance of the throttle after 75 ft

video: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Farmstock rules February 10, 2015 12:50AM
$7500 yeah right. I'll take it.

Re: Farmstock rules February 09, 2015 11:40PM
The Illiana stock rules are the best I have ever seen. They would be perfect if you would eliminate all the "stock appearing" phrases and just say stock. The turbo rule is great ! Most rules say 3". What farm tractor ever ran a 3"? Great rules if you can enforce them for all pullers. You let one slide and you are done !!

Re: Farmstock rules February 09, 2015 04:20PM
Used to have a fairly good set if rules, it's just that nobody would enforce them. Pretty sure it was 2750 rpms and 3lm charger but nobody would put on any sort of rpm sensor so it just became a place for 3000 rpm tractors with zero safety equipment and 3000 to 3500 rpms.

Re: Farmstock rules February 09, 2015 10:45PM
any body ever try a dyno. I no the numbers can very. Also if you could load the engine for 15 to 20 min that would eliminate some. don't think a 4430 or a 1066 would stay alive that long if they were running 450-500hp.

Re: Farmstock rules February 09, 2015 11:54PM
Back in the 70's/80's we use to have farm stock classes here in Missouri that were a dyno class and I don't remember the rpm's deal but the HP was a set HP for the class and that was what it was with NO tolerances. It was a good class of farm tractors. We didn't do mph because it wasn't necessary. I remember the 8000 stock class had a 85HP and the 6000 lb class was 65 HP limit and I don't remember the others but at the time we would have 10-15-20 tractors per class at a local sanction pulls and maybe 50-60 tractors per class at the Mo State Fair. Honestly it was one of them load up ole "RED" and go pulling. A lot cheaper than anything we're doing today.

Re: Farmstock rules February 10, 2015 01:28AM
There a lot of ways to cheat a dyno or with a dyno. To much home court advantage.
Put the rpm box on them and the mph board at the end of the track. Check the brawbars and the weight and play Pull

Re: Farmstock rules February 10, 2015 01:45AM
Actually, there is still farmstock pulls still in mo. We have several pulls in central mo. We have several rules in place and are enforced the best as can be, by the host. We have tire size, horsepower, speed limit, and drawbar rules. We do have some "open" classes as well. The open classes are still governed by drawbar and speed. These pulls generally see 100+ hooks every year at each event. It still doesn't really matter if you are putting out 200-300 horsepower, if you can't use it because of the speed limit it does you no good.

Re: Farmstock rules February 10, 2015 02:01AM
I know I have one of those tractors but it is still different that the rules we use to pull by and I acturally believe the old way was better and more even. I know it was a lot cheaper then and we did farm with the tractor we pulled, but not today the tractor we'll running today that everyone calls farm stock wouldn't make a 1/4 mile pass pulling a plow or a disc without getting hot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2015 02:06AM by farmall puller.

Re: Farmstock rules February 10, 2015 02:17AM
Well there you have it lots and lots of suggestions and rules but you stated in your first post farm stock classes so I'm thinking tractors right off the farm 13-14-15thousand lbs classes. I'm telling you to save alot of problems use a 5-6- MPH rule and enforce the rule buy using sled radar or a pace tractor. BEEN THERE DONE THAT!

Re: Farmstock rules February 10, 2015 02:26AM
You all have fun on Pulloff this week I'm going to be where the sand pile is 5' tall and about the 240' mark. Probably see some of you there.

Re: Farmstock rules February 10, 2015 03:54AM
What would be a good tractor to pick for farm stock john deere Int., case white etc. looking to pull farm stock and looking for suggestions

Re: Farmstock rules February 10, 2015 05:19AM
billy
What would be a good tractor to pick for farm stock john deere Int., case white etc. looking to pull farm stock and looking for suggestions
It ALL depends on the rules.

Re: Farmstock rules February 10, 2015 05:46AM
Try to find one that had a charger on it from the factory..... JD 4320, IH 1206/1066, Ford 9000, Allis D21. These are all good machines when you leave farm stock and start to progress into a hot farm. If you wanna wake a sleeping crowd up pull an Oliver 1900/1950 and let that detroit nose maker scream. LOL.

Re: Farmstock rules February 10, 2015 06:05AM
That,s what I would want some dumb a$$ running my tractor on a Dyno that dosent no a hill beans about what he is doing,And besides you can make a Dyno read what ever you want not hard at all. And no two people read them the same... Bad idea.

Re: Farmstock rules February 10, 2015 11:33AM
The guy just asked a simple question and ive never seen so many ignorant answers , geesh farm stock is farm stock 5 mph speed limit and no big cloud of smoke,

Re: Farmstock rules February 10, 2015 12:18PM
If its farm stock that's what it should be and no special rules for different colors jd and fords.cases deutze and others wanted inline pumps on there tractors other companies didn't didn't have them Case ,Molene and 5020 John deeres had bigger cubes Its bull to give a 1066 Ih a A pump because crybabies say its not fair because a 4440 john has got one or a 966 ih don't have a turbo but a 1066 dose if you wont to win choose wisely and it wouldn't be to wise to choose a 100hp kobota to pull against a 100 horse Ih unlike man all tractors were not created equal I would say stock turbo stock pump 3000 rpm and forget the diyno set a timer and hold it full throttle for 2 min

Re: Farmstock rules February 12, 2015 07:53AM
As a promoter in the SW Wisconsin area, this is what I have used for the last few years. Seems to work well and without the fighting. Using the speed and rpm restrictions have minimized TECHing tractors because lets face it; hard finding a honest tech that doesn't get accused of playing favorites and people will go to many lengths to hide things they feel is an advantage. Also keep in mind we display the speed & Distance by LED board at the end of the track for the driver and spectators to see and this is all monitored by our sled. NO PACE machine to put a driver in danger of being on or near the track.

common farm stock classes in our area -

8500# N/A Farm @8/7Mph
11000# Turbo farm @ 12/10MPH
13000# Turbo Farm @ 10Mph
15000# Turbo Farm @ 10mph
9000# Modified farm @ 12-15mph
115000# Too hot to Farm @ 15-18MPH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 07:57AM by Mueller.
Attachments:
open | download - Southwest Wisconsin Farm Tractor Pulling Rules.docx (14.1 KB)
open | download - Too hot to Farm Tractor Pulling Rules 2015.docx (14 KB)
open | download - Modified Farm Pulling Rules 2015.docx (15.1 KB)

Re: Farmstock rules February 11, 2015 12:17AM
Even with speed limit farm classes the guys with the most horses seem to find the edge to win most of the time. Alot of people forgot sometimes its not about the money its for the fun. If you pull in a farm stock class and you drive a 100 miles to the pull and expect to make money You are pulling for the wrong reasons. Just my opinion

Re: Farmstock rules February 11, 2015 03:06PM
Thanks for all the good input. Our pulling group is going to look at applying both speed and rpm limits on farm stock next season. Thanks again

Re: Farmstock rules February 12, 2015 01:48PM
"Farm stock" around here is 3000rpm 3x3 single turbo 20.8x38 tires 20x18 hitch 10k to 13k weight classes A and P pump classes straight stack and that's about it not much more in rules no c.i. limit can run intercooler water injection no real safety rules pretty much run what ya bring..... if you know the tractors you pretty much know the placing. Talk about a money class lol

Re: Farmstock rules February 13, 2015 12:41AM
We also are blessed to have a LED speed and distance board at the end of our track it's the greatest thing since slice bread, like mueller said it saves a lot of fighting and headaches. central Illinois.

Re: Farmstock rules February 13, 2015 03:26AM
I have a off topic question. Where did your club get the Display board for the Speed and RPM?

Re: Farmstock rules February 13, 2015 08:04AM
Our sled operator has them with him. He uses agri-tronix equipment and links the boards to his equipment. immediate display with no delay.

AGRI TRONIX - Tractor pulling

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,580, Posts: 229,613, Members: 3,320.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,861.

Our newest member Fechtner Racing