Rebuilding 8.1L deere need some advice November 21, 2015 10:11AM
Hey guys this isn't going in a pulling tractor but thought I would get your advice on engine building. Tractor is a 8400 with 8.1 and needs a overhaul. My mechanic and I don't have much faith in the record with Reliance Pistons. Thought about putting in some nice pulling Pistons, but then we thought why not make it a 9.0L instead. Any tips on this? We're pretty sure the crank will fall in but wondering about sleeves? Can we reuse the 8.1 block and put in 9.0 internals? Anyone ever done this before? Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thank you!!!

Re: Rebuilding 8.1L deere need some advice November 21, 2015 10:50AM
Did one , common rail. JD kit had no wrist pins or rod bolts. Manual called for rocker hold down , head , rod , main cap bolts to be replaced. I did. If I had to do it again I would go with Reliance.

Re: Rebuilding 8.1L deere need some advice November 21, 2015 01:18PM
Ok so you used the original 8.1 block? Do the sleeves fit right in or how did that all go?

Re: Rebuilding 8.1L deere need some advice November 27, 2015 07:13AM
Probably easier and cheaper to use a 9.0 slavage engine and put the 8.1 head and fuel on it. That being said I would just put the Deere overhaul kit in it and be done with it. The 8.1's were not as bad on fuel as the 9.0 and we regularly see the 8.1's go 15,000+hrs before overhaul in the 8000series tractors.

Re: Rebuilding 8.1L deere need some advice November 23, 2015 12:57AM
I have used reliance for years. In my opinion it is great stuff. Break in period is key with reliance parts. Dont let it idle too much. Throw it right on the manure pump for a day.

Re: Rebuilding 8.1L deere need some advice November 23, 2015 05:19AM
Have you priced the parts? Crank, rods, pistons, liners?
I don't know of anyone that has done this for a field machine, but I have always wanted to... The 9.0L rods will not clear the 8.1 cam, and it will have to be notched. The 9.0L cam is moved a little and is a steel cam and machined to clear. (longer stroke and bigger Rod journals. )
There are pullers out there that have done this, I have most of my parts.. I just haven't gotten it done yet..

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,580, Posts: 229,613, Members: 3,320.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,861.

Our newest member Fechtner Racing