TA button on throttle handle February 18, 2016 06:47AM
What's everyone that's running a TA use as a shift button on your hand throttles looking for the best setup and that works well

Re: TA button on throttle handle February 18, 2016 09:44AM
When I still had TA I used a Hurst T handle with Button, real simple and worked good.

Re: TA button on throttle handle February 19, 2016 01:11AM
Just use a toggle switch, mount it near your pointer finger on the throttle handle. Shifting up is up, shifting down is down. Very simple, cheap and reliable.

Re: TA button on throttle handle February 19, 2016 02:03AM
I used a two speed axle switch and the cable worked real good just another idea

Re: TA button on throttle handle February 19, 2016 04:57AM
Normally Open Momentary switch. TA always on low side unless you hold button in for high side. No mistakes going down the track. Unfortunately I can't build you one right now as I built all mine out of aluminum stock on the lathe. Set 5-6 tractors up with them in last few years. Hold button in from 100-250 ft and let off shifts down no guessing game. I've seen too many toggle switches and foot shift switches either malfunction or driver error not paying attention.

Re: TA button on throttle handle February 19, 2016 05:42AM
Couple reasons why the momentary switch could cause issue. First off most guys are running 8 disk ta's now which freewheel in the low side so driving in the pits/unloading is much safer on the high side of the TA as it drives and functions like a normal tractor would. Secondly if something happens going down the track causing the driver to bump a toggle switch, chances are that same incident would cause them to slip off the button as well. Nevertheless any electronic shifting is a huge improvement over reaching halfway up the hood and throwing the lever. (Look mom no hands!) lol
safety should always be at the forefront this stuff as it only takes one mistake to end a lot of pulls on the local level.

Re: TA button on throttle handle February 20, 2016 02:32AM
I've been using a foot-operated dimmer switch between the clutch and brake pedals for several years now and have gotten along really well with it. I just walked into Napa and said "give me a floor dimmer switch from an old pick-up truck" and that's what I used.

If I were to ever do it over again, I might try a momentary push-button switch in my throttle handle, but use a non-latching dimmer relay in the circuit to get the same push-on/push-off functionality that I have now with my foot dimmer switch.

Re: TA button on throttle handle February 21, 2016 01:33AM
just run a rocker switch. Dairy Blend is right... most big TA's freewheel in the low side. much safer to cruze the pits in the high side..if a guy had an inexperienced driver it could get away from him fast going down hill. we made our throttle handle square and just mounted the switch on top. NEVER had any trouble

Re: TA button on throttle handle February 21, 2016 08:16AM
Is the stock lever design not as efficient as a toggle/electornic setup? Is it just a faster torque on the fly?

Re: TA button on throttle handle February 21, 2016 11:45AM
All Rules I've looked at say one hand on steering wheel at all times, except Stock class.

Re: TA button on throttle handle February 21, 2016 12:09PM
Check out maskmachine.com. for throttle handles with built in switch.

Re: TA button on throttle handle March 02, 2016 02:24PM
I used a throttle from mask machine, ended up using a toggle switch off eBay instead of just a push button to hold it the whole time. Works great

Re: TA button on throttle handle March 02, 2016 02:40PM
Use a latching relay with push button,push once for on and once for off.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,606, Posts: 229,659, Members: 3,324.
This forum: Topics: 37,062, Posts: 225,885.

Our newest member JD_8520