jake or dick ????? April 03, 2016 08:42AM
when I'm reading down thru a post and come to a logged in poster and click the thumbs up button it automatically goes to the top of the page,am I doing something wrong??,I'm always logged in when I go to pulloff.com,is there a way to just be able to click on the thumbs up-down without losing your place ??.thanks patches

Re: jake or dick ????? April 03, 2016 11:17AM
Short answer: it has to reload the page to count your vote.

Longer answer: It reloads the page to count your vote and changes the "voting" icons on the topic. If you look at the Icons for the Thumb Up/Down they change slightly after you vote, the words "Thumbs Up" and "Thumbs Down" disappear after you vote so you can only vote once (that's how you can tell which posts you've already voted for... only the number and the Icon will appear but the words "Thumbs Up" and "Thumbs Down" disappear. You might also notice that the words "Thumbs Up" and "Thumbs Down" don't appear on your own post because you can't vote for yourself.

Extra information that will probably confuse people: It doesn't always take you back to the top after you vote. It actually depends on how you have your setting in your user profile. Meaning, it also depends if you view the Forum in Flat mode or Threaded mode. Flat mode show just one post per topic on the Forum page and Threaded mode shows all the posts on the topic on the Forum page (Threaded is the default setting, you can change it in you user settings). If you view the Forum in Flat mode then it will always take you back to the top of the tread when you vote and the page reloads. However, if you view the page in Threaded mode it will take you back to which ever post you originally clicked on inside the thread (meaning it will reload the page to whatever address is in your address bar), even if you've scrolled up or down to read other posts. One more note: different browsers handle it slightly differently and I believe a couple of browsers will take you back to where you were.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: jake or dick ????? April 03, 2016 12:06PM
Great explanation! I was wondering the same thing as the op. Thanks for the write up.

Re: jake or dick ????? April 04, 2016 01:39PM
Dumb question Jake why do the pictures need to be in such a small format to upload??? A lot of smart phones these days you can't take a picture that small. Just a question not trying to stir the pot. Just wish I could upload pics from my phone onto the forsale page. And yes I tried everything with my phone to make it work but can't. Thanks.

Re: jake or dick ????? April 04, 2016 03:03PM
Great question, and one that I get in my email inbox pretty often.

Many websites automatically resize the photos for you without you even knowing it. You may be uploading really larger photos from a phone or digital camera but the result is a much much smaller file for the internet. The internet only needs photos that are about 1000 pixels wide (1920px for true HD). It all happens without the user even knowing it.

I'm working on a solution for this site that will automatically resize the photos as they attach to the message so you can load directly from a phone and I hope to get it up and running sometime soon.

In a funny irony, I actually allow much much bigger files than most websites. Most sites resize the photos down to around 60kb (or either 800px or 640px wide). I actually allow people to upload a 600kb photo which is huge by internet standards (it can be any width as long as file size is 600kb or less)... So you can actually load a huge (by internet standards) photo on a for sale ad. I've attached an example at twice HD size (you will need to zoom in to see it's actual size... it's BIG). Any registered user on this page can attach photos that same size if they know how to resize and compress the photo.

You can still upload pics from any phone or camera to the For Sale page, just download an app to resize the photos (1000px wide is what I use in the Photo Gallery on this site and it works great for the internet, but you can obviously go bigger based on my attached example). There are thousands of free apps for both Iphones and Android phones that can resize a photo with just a few clicks. Just type “photo resizer” in the Play Store or App Store and have a go at it. I managed to master one of the programs in just a few minutes and I'm terrible on a smart phone.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: jake or dick ????? April 05, 2016 01:05PM
Jake is there any chance of a Pulloff app?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,571, Posts: 229,596, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,057, Posts: 225,852.

Our newest member BadHabit2