Tomah April 25, 2016 03:06PM
Is Tomah pull as good as it was 10 years ago? Thinking about going again but the numbers look down.

Re: Tomah April 25, 2016 07:40PM
Still a good time, just walking around the pits is worth it.

Numbers being down?, the 2 wheelers and superfarm could only wish!

Re: Tomah April 27, 2016 12:28PM
its great if you got deep pockets and a lot of patience

Re: Tomah April 27, 2016 12:49PM
Sully why do you say that? A large group of us from Nebraska went for 10 years in a row from 99-09 and haven't been able to go since! We are planning on going this year if we aint planting corn yet! Last I remember beer was 2.50 and brats was 5 bucks. Admission was 18.00?

Re: Tomah April 27, 2016 02:13PM
Don't remember the $ of a beer. Admission is $20/session if you bought an all day ticket. If you bought a ticket for a single session, it is $22.

Re: Tomah April 27, 2016 02:27PM
admission 22 and beer 4...it sucks that the fair board raised it to 4 but what can you do...I still wouldn't miss Tomah for the world

Re: Tomah April 27, 2016 12:48PM
I enjoyed the pull last year as much as I did 10 years ago. I have not kept close track of the numbers. It seems that each class has good numbers. Semi's dropped a bit, but we still enjoy making the trip.

Re: Tomah April 28, 2016 12:48AM
Still a great show and worth seeing at least once.
They are also keeping up with the latest trends and bringing the 4x4 Super Stock Diesels to town, can't miss those!

Re: Tomah April 28, 2016 02:36PM
just go to Hillsboro wis and see the best show for less money and it moves ;it has 2 TRACKS AND THEY WORK THEM DOWN BETWEEN PULLERS In 2 MIN;S OR LESS not a week like Tomah ; better parking ;better pit area try it u will like it ; my 2 cents worth

Re: Tomah April 28, 2016 11:40PM
I agree, Hillsboro is a much better show all around. I can't say enough about it. The quality of the competition is probably equal, you will see many of the same pullers at both events, the number competitors in each class is higher at Tomah, not really a plus. But if you like long lines, have to pay for parking that is a quarter mile away, sit in uncomfortable stands, buy expensive beer and food, walk around in muddy pits in the dark, wait an extra 1/2 hour or more for the pull to start, listen to a poor sound system, be herded around by rude security guards, fear that you or your children may be hit by flying beer cans - then go to Tomah, it has ALL of that. Nuff said.

Re: Tomah April 29, 2016 01:38AM
Mn fan

I have never been hit by flying beer cans and the security guards have never been a problem. I sit in the stands, not in the chairs down in front of the grandstands. Plus you can see better there anyway. You are going to have a line no matter where you go. And, I have never paid to park, and I park on asphalt. I am sure that Hillsboro is a good pull, heard a lot about it. A lot of the pullers you see in Tomah you will no see in Hillsboro because two different associations put them on.

Re: Tomah April 29, 2016 02:26AM
Last year we took a 1, 3, and 5 year old and sat 300' opposite grandstand side and had no issues with rowdy people.

I have also seen a guy get kicked out for lighting a bottle rocket off in the stands. Tomah has more people and more all day drinking with the big camping area. There is always going to be a pocket of over served people somewhere at Tomah. But that isn't the norm there. And if that's not your scene definitely don't visit BG.

Comparing Tomah to Hillsboro is kind of apples and oranges. Both are great events, but totally different in their own ways. (by design) The best part you can go to both because one is in June and the other in August.

To me Tomah is just a different experience than a normal 2 day pull. To us it's more of a 3 day vaca with family and friends and it just so happens there is a tractor pull that takes place too. Nothing better than sunny & 80 on that Saturday noon session in Tomah with a group of friends.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2016 02:28AM by AV.

Re: Tomah April 29, 2016 01:24PM
I was there when the bottle rocket just cleared the guys head down in the lower bleacher seating! I seen the bald headed ERIC get tazed also!!!!!!

Re: Tomah April 29, 2016 01:59PM
Being someone who lives within an HR to Tomah and Hillsboro, having gone to Tomah since I was in diapers and seen Hillsboro grow from having farm tractors to 4 engine Mods, both events have there Pro and Cons no doubt. To me Tomah is still has the edge over Hillsboro only because they have the facility to accommodate so many more people at the moment, and have a completely different atmosphere then any other pull I go to all summer, which is quite a few following BSTP, that just cant be replicated but Hillsboro is getting there. The facility that Don and his crew have built is second to none. If memory serves me right, it rained before almost every session in Tomah last year and yet no session was cancelled just showing the experience of 40 plus years to put on 6 sessions of pulling. I also have thought they have done better keeping the show moving along and getting done at a decent time despite the delay (numbers in some classes were down). I could go on and on, but my point is that, my opinion, that we are pretty lucky in WI to have two nationally known events every year and continue to bring in the best of the best to the Badger State.

Re: Tomah May 01, 2016 10:39AM
Ok, here is my 2 cents on both Hillsboro and Tomah, as I attended both in 2015!
Tomah is one of my favorite pulls, 22$ a session isn't bad, considering you are guaranteed a smooth ran show, even when it rains before or during every session.
Hillsboro is also a great ran pull, that cost 20$ a session and you see some great tractors and trucks there also!
Track wise both place are built for pulling only!
The only draw back with Hillsboro is there isn't really anything around, we drive 4 hrs to attend both pulls, so close hotels, and food options, even if the food,is what's at the fairgrounds. Hillsboro I would say needs to be a little more fan friendly ( more food, and drink options, and better fan parking)
So for us it comes down to which sanction do you prefer?? Well we prefer both, I don't think there will ever be another Tomah, and for sure Don Slama is going to make his pull in Hillsboro the best he can make it! But to compare the two... Idk apples to oranges, ( PPL has less classes) for 2$ less.. Again just my 2 cents....
We travel to 30 pulls a season and Tomah is always on the list to attended. The people in Tomah are always friendly, helpful, and I haven't seen too many rowdy drunks in the last few years... The addition of a specific camping area off the fairgrounds is nice too, so the only people in the fairgrounds are pullers! Just my 2 cents worth, I will even sign my name... In case you want to debate more :-)
Amanda Stern

Re: Tomah May 04, 2016 03:13PM
Our other fun time is HUMBIRD CHEESE and the fireworks stand and the GO-CARTS in LACROSSE! Oh and cant forget bar avenue in lacrosse!

Tomah May 07, 2016 03:28PM
People are alot more family orientated on the cement grandstand side. Sitting on the pit side especially on the full pull side of the announcer stand in terrible. We have been there and seen fights, people wiping out, ripping off blankets when you leave to get food, crowd flashing. Hillsborough PPL is just as good of competitors, laid out much better, cheaper, more laid back crowd, run all the good classes each session.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,565, Posts: 229,582, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,056, Posts: 225,843.

Our newest member BadHabit2