Cursed Sled August 24, 2016 03:24AM
Some may recognize this sled as one that was listed for sale on Pulloff. We have named it Cursed. This sled arrived in less than the operating condition it was advertised as, and had clearly never been used for a competitive event. If it had been used, it would have killed somone, as the construction of this sled was less than acceptable. But rather than go through all the details, here is an account of what will be done to make it useable.

After having to cancel the first event that this sled was scheduled for, it was decided to tear into it and make significant changes. The first pictures show the condition of the sled before we started, and the decision was made to repower it with another powerplant. Original gas motor needed water pump, starter, and transmission was junk. So a diesel substitute was sourced.

Several changes are proposed for the configuration. Stay tuned.

Re: Cursed Sled August 24, 2016 03:31AM
With the original operator station out of the way, the gas V8 was next.

Then on to the donor.

Re: Cursed Sled August 24, 2016 03:34AM
With the new diesel powerplant now available for installation, much discussio and decisions have to be made about overall configuration. We have a plan in place, now to start implementing the changes to make this a competetive sled.

Re: Cursed Sled August 24, 2016 10:35AM
And then pick a good name for itThumbs Up

Re: Cursed Sled August 24, 2016 09:06AM
Good luck

Re: Cursed Sled August 24, 2016 10:19AM
A couple friends and I were talking about looking at it.... glad we passed.

What all do you have planned for it??

Re: Cursed Sled August 25, 2016 12:52AM
BigChiefMassey
A couple friends and I were talking about looking at it.... glad we passed.

What all do you have planned for it??

I guess there was a moment or two when we regretted buying it. But where else do you start? We're a small association, just trying to get started at a local level, and nobody has 150-200K for a sled. So this seemed like a way to get going. Guess we learned that you can't believe everything you're told about something that's for sale, and should have done a little more homework.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2016 12:59AM by Cursed sled.

Re: Cursed Sled August 11, 2018 05:33AM
I only saw this sled once at a event and it was primered gray. But otherwise this sled was never used.

Re: Cursed Sled August 24, 2016 10:32AM
I'm sure you all will make it a good sled with enough welding rods and steel bracing.

Focus on a top quality braking system for the box and rear axles as well as a dependable kill switch motor.

Good luck. Keep us posted with your progressCool

Re: Cursed Sled August 24, 2016 01:55PM
Well, been there, done that.
When you get done, you will wish you had bought new rails, and all new steel, and started with nothing.
But some of us have to learn the hard way.
But, learn you will!
Keep posting pictures! And fill us in on progress!
Some days will seem like things are getting worse. They aren't, but may seem like it.
Keep after it!
You WILL finish this, and it WILL be good.
BUT, one warning, they are NEVER "done"
EVER.

Re: Cursed Sled August 24, 2016 02:14PM
I had someone send me a txt from VA telling me to stay away from this sled..... Glad I did.

Re: Cursed Sled August 25, 2016 12:53AM
Guess it would have been nice to have been told that too - but it's our problem now.

Re: Cursed Sled August 24, 2016 02:30PM
HP
When you get done, you will wish you had bought new rails, and all new steel, and started with nothing.
But, learn you will!
Some days will seem like things are getting worse. They aren't, but may seem like it.
Keep after it!
EVER.

^^^ what he said, especially the never done part. It's worth it in the end though.

Justin

Heartbreaker pulling sled

Re: Cursed Sled August 25, 2016 12:56AM
Cequipment
HP
But, learn you will!
Keep after it!
EVER.

^^^ what he said, especially the never done part. It's worth it in the end though.

Thanks. We won't give up on it. There may be alot of headaches ahead of us, but if it means we've got a decent sled in the end, then it will be worth it.

Your link is good inspiration.

Re: Cursed Sled August 25, 2016 09:21AM
Todays job - take the axles out, move them forward 32", and this time sqaure them up to the frame. Increase the spread between the axles to 54", to allow better distribution between the axles, also will allow us to change the way we transfer weight to the pan.

Next up - change box drive location, configure chain drive off of of first rear axle, and relocate and configure box return. Then mount diesel powerplant and configure hydraulic system for drive axle and other accesories (front axle lift, pan control, box return, etc.)

Re: Cursed Sled August 25, 2016 12:26PM
We wonder if anyone would be willing to provide some input on one item. We have pretty much decided to build this sled fully hydraulic. We have a 150hp diesel motor that will be driving a 20GPM two-outlet pump. This way we can drive all our hydraulic cylinders for front axle lift, steering, pan, etc on one loop, and the other loop for the axle drive. Anybody have an idea on what size drive motor we should be specifying for the drive axle? Its a 3.73 gear ratio, sled probably weighs about 10k.

Re: Cursed Sled August 25, 2016 12:35PM
DO NOT do hydraulic drive axle.
Set it up so a transmission powered off the engine drives the axle by DRIVESHAFT.
No one has EVER done a hydraulic drive sled and liked it. E V E R ! ! ! ! !

Re: Cursed Sled August 25, 2016 01:13PM
Cursed sled
We wonder if anyone would be willing to provide some input on one item. We have pretty much decided to build this sled fully hydraulic. We have a 150hp diesel motor that will be driving a 20GPM two-outlet pump. This way we can drive all our hydraulic cylinders for front axle lift, steering, pan, etc on one loop, and the other loop for the axle drive. Anybody have an idea on what size drive motor we should be specifying for the drive axle? Its a 3.73 gear ratio, sled probably weighs about 10k.

350 chevy engine with an automatic transmission is a good combo

Re: Cursed Sled August 26, 2016 03:38PM
The sled I re-did, we used a Dodge 440 with a 727 automatic. Sled owner is a "Dodge guy"
Iron Horse from Wisconsin is a 460 Ford and C-6
Game over is a MUCH preferred (in my opinion) Cummins 6BT.
Find an old "bread truck" with a 6BT Cummins and Allison automatic!
Did I mention, to NOT do hydraulic drive?
As you may know, Bauer's are all Deutz diesel and Allison automatic.
Think all Bungarts are as well.
Diesel engine sits to the side, there is a 4 v belt shelve on the harmonic balancer, this drives the torque converter on the Allison that sits beside the engine.
This is why Bauer's sleds don't hang out the back as much.

Re: Cursed Sled August 26, 2016 10:03PM
Cursed sled

Take a look at Carolina Sled rental's facebook page.
They have photos of their sled on the page.

I'm pretty sure they still use the chevy engine and auto trans mounted off to the side and driven to a large chain drive to one of the axles to propel it back and run the box when needed.

This is the old track boss sled that was owned by Dan Christiani and used at many of the TNT pulls in the 80's and 90's (I'm pretty sure it is was bought from Thumb Sled's in Michigan before DC owned it). The Thomas' in NC have owned it for many years and still use it today. It hooks a variety of classes really good from open 2wd - a triple engine mod. tractor and will let the trucks run fast. Take a look at their page and it might help you quite a bit. I think they mainly pull 4x4 trucks and a variety of farm - super stock classes now with it.

Re: Cursed Sled August 28, 2016 01:09AM
Yes don't do a hydraulic sled. Especially running the box. The hydro change speed when they get hot. A former sled we used to pull had that and through the night the box would top out 30 foot difference.

Re: Cursed Sled August 28, 2016 05:50AM
Pretty sure hydraulic weight box drive would not comply with NASOA sled rules.
I am positive it does not meet NTPA sled rules.

Re: Cursed Sled August 28, 2016 11:17AM
How about running the drive for the box with a heavy duty electric clutch thinking that would work and with the proper relays it should kick in and out pretty nice any negatives to it ? Thanks

Re: Cursed Sled August 28, 2016 12:47PM
What type of clutch is the electric clutch?
NTPA rule book says clutch must be spring type pressure plate, or over center clutch.
(The Nexen air clutch is a over center type clutch.)
Also states "no over-running or sprag-dog type clutches allowed any where in drive line".

Re: Cursed Sled August 27, 2016 12:29AM
Thank you for your input. We are likely going to go the more traditional route and stick with a transmission to drive the drive axle.

We are trying to keep the overall balance of the sled in mind when we are doing this. If you look in the pictures above, there is a 5 foot stationary pan ahead of the 16 foot hinged pan. This sled is very nose heavy, so we are thinking it's best to put the wieght at the back of the sled. We would like to shorten it up as much as possible, so we did discuss putting the motor on the side like a Thumb, but that would be adding more wieght to the front and middle portion of the sled. Our concern is it may prove to be too heavy to get it off the line, especially for the lighter classes and antiques.

In the future, we may revisit the front of the sled and eliminate the fixed pan. But for now our focus will be to get it opertational, and see how it performs. If it proves to still be too nose heavy, then we can always take length away from the front of the sled.

Re: Cursed Sled August 27, 2016 09:31AM
Cursed sled
Thank you for your input. We are likely going to go the more traditional route and stick with a transmission to drive the drive axle.

We are trying to keep the overall balance of the sled in mind when we are doing this. If you look in the pictures above, there is a 5 foot stationary pan ahead of the 16 foot hinged pan. This sled is very nose heavy, so we are thinking it's best to put the wieght at the back of the sled. We would like to shorten it up as much as possible, so we did discuss putting the motor on the side like a Thumb, but that would be adding more wieght to the front and middle portion of the sled. Our concern is it may prove to be too heavy to get it off the line, especially for the lighter classes and antiques.

In the future, we may revisit the front of the sled and eliminate the fixed pan. But for now our focus will be to get it opertational, and see how it performs. If it proves to still be too nose heavy, then we can always take length away from the front of the sled.

Sounds like you have a great plan in place and getting it all worked out. Good luck.

I'm sure it will be a nice piece of equipment when you get done with it. It is a long sled, but that should be good for the light class and antiques.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Re: Cursed Sled August 28, 2016 12:14PM
I think the first thing to do is decide what class sled you want,and the get a NASOA rule book. This way you can make good decisions on the outcome.

Re: Cursed Sled August 28, 2016 12:50PM
Rocket just gave the best advice so far on this thread!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,598, Posts: 229,641, Members: 3,322.
This forum: Topics: 37,060, Posts: 225,873.

Our newest member JD_8520