head bolt options January 02, 2017 01:15PM
Has anyone used cat head bolts on a 400 series IH? I have heard using them was a better, stronger and cheaper option for head bolts compared to using caseIH bolts and a cheaper option than studs. Does anyone have the specs or part numbers to the caterpillar bolts if so?

Re: head bolt options January 03, 2017 11:12AM
We have been using them for years. They work very well we torque them to 200ft/lbs

Re: head bolt options January 03, 2017 01:57PM
IH uses grade 8 bolts you can go to Fastenall or a Dellars bolt supplier and get some a lot stronger and cheap anything that says cat is not cheap the ones ive used use a allen to tighten them

Re: head bolt options January 03, 2017 02:16PM
Nothing special about a cat bolt they're just a stronger grade. Like Lewis said you can get the same thing from somewhere like Fastenal for a lot cheaper than cat.

Re: head bolt options January 05, 2017 12:29PM
I work for a Cat dealer and checked on both head and standard hex bolts. On an IH with 9/16" bolts they offer are a bit shorter than 6 1/2" nothing even close to 9". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: head bolt options February 26, 2017 06:49AM
Do you guys have a part number for your head bolts your getting from fastenal? I was looking on there web site but didnt see anything but a grade 5 for the 9" long bolt.

Re: head bolt options January 04, 2017 06:19AM
Ok I will do price comparison of both. What are the lengths that you all would use? I have an IH book that tells me the exact size but I don't want to guess and you won't find the exact sizes of the bolts and since I don't want to pay for IH's high prices....the book says for the new ones with a flange built in to where you don't need a washer:8.82" for the long and 6.38 for the short; old style with washers 9" long, 6.56 for short. Would you get these for the new: 8.75-8.5 and 6.25-6 and these for the old:9" obviously and 6.5-6.25?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2017 12:32AM by IHFarmer07.

Re: head bolt options January 04, 2017 10:46AM
why wouldn't you use a washer?

Re: head bolt options January 04, 2017 11:53AM
You will more than likely buy a 9inch and a 61/2 from a bolt supplier use the washers

Re: head bolt options January 05, 2017 12:30AM
The Savage
why wouldn't you use a washer?
The new style head bolts from IH has a flanged type hex head instead of a plane hex that the old ones have, so according to the book it is not required to have washers for them. If I was to get the Cat or Fastenal bolts, I will be using washers unless the bolts have flanges which would have washers basically built into them right? The way it looks the washers should be about 3/16-1/4" thick.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,576, Posts: 229,605, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,857.

Our newest member BadHabit2