8v92 May 04, 2017 10:30AM
Thinking about using a 8v92 in a pulling semi any thoughts? Who to talk to that can make a Detroit run? Want to mount a p pump to it

Re: 8v92 May 05, 2017 12:03AM
there are several good things about an 8V92 for pulling. 1) the NOISE to power ratio is the highest of any diesel. 2) it is practically impossible to mount a P-pump on it and get it to work. The 8V92 is a 2 cycle diesel, so, you can save money and not mount a P pump on it. 3) Another way to save money with the 8V92 is you will become so frustrated with it you will quit pulling.

Re: 8v92 May 05, 2017 12:17AM
I have a quad charger 8v92 I would like to sell cheap, I will even throw in a new ht740 allison. Save money and buy one with all the tricks already done to it!! Email me if you are interested. showdown496@hotmail.com. BTW: If you are serious about running a Detroit be ready to not pay attention to posts like the previous one. Those kind of guys are everywhere. The P pump can be done, but you will need 2 of them to do it. I would look into a common rail setup if the group you will run with would let you do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2017 01:03AM by Puller892.

Re: 8v92 May 05, 2017 05:24AM
Puller 892 thanks for the info don't worry I don't listen to people saying stupid stuff I have a massey with a v8 Perkins people knocked it for years.

Re: 8v92 May 07, 2017 05:07AM
Could you run the injection pump at crankshaft speed instead of running two pumps ?
The reason the injection pump runs at half speed on the other engines is because of 4 stroke.
If you run the pump at crankshaft speed, you would get injection at every stroke,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Re: 8v92 May 08, 2017 01:19AM
The reason you couldn't run it at crankshaft speed is that the pump would be turning around 5000 rpm (with the engine turning 5000 rpm) which would be the equivalent of it turning on a 4 stroke engine running at 10,000 rpm. All the pump guys I talked to say the pump can't take that kind of rpm, thus if you ran 2 pumps at 1/2 engine speed you would be fine, but probably run into an issue with timing, fuel delivery, etc.

Re: 8v92 May 05, 2017 08:53AM
Always like that people always tell you well that won't work but I found out I was a caseih mostly IH for 30 years till I went to Des Moines and got town job made one and a half more times amount of money working Than for a at dealership I built me a drag race car nothing much look at but my son and I built the engine for 4H project and I always was it the underdog but you know what sometimes you had a beats the big boys so I'm saying have fun build it and play with the guys that my heart was always into tractor pulling but it took too much money to do that that's why we did what we did and had fun but what I'm saying you could always beat the big boys what you got

Re: 8v92 May 06, 2017 01:24AM
Awesome to see someone want to "FEEL THE NOISE AND HEAR THE POWER !! A challenge answered is a great way to accomplish self pride in doing what the heart sees. LOL Difficult to do,but a Detroit is a lot of fun and potential,think outside the box and throw away the envelope.Just saying,ranone for thirty yrs,people from all over called me "WILD MAN". There is technology out there from off shore boat racing,laser cut re the cups,(no need with P pump). Factory engineers said fly wheels were good to go up to 4000 !!!!!! Mine did great.Beat many disbelievers.Rules said could do anything with stock manifold,cut up the ductile cast,made headers,--had to wear ear phones,plugs and kerchief. " WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH,-- THE TOUGH GET GOING " !!!!!!!!!!

Re: 8v92 May 10, 2017 12:36PM
Yes, a P-pump can be mounted on a 2-cycle Detroit diesel. I (we) mounted a 6 cylinder inline Bosch P-pump on a 3-71 Detroit 990 Oliver starting in 1977. This pump was run at half speed. There are pairs of pump lobes which are 180 degrees opposite. These pairs were connected together with lines and a steel tee. I think the pairs are 1 & 6, 2 & 5, and 3 & 4. The pump fires number 1 into the first engine cylinder on the first 360 degrees and fires number 6 into the first engine cylinder on the second 360 degrees. How do you prevent the pump from firing back into number 6 when number 1 fires? There is a check valve in each pump cylinder to prevent leak back. In the engine head we used a Bacharach unit injector tip tester body. This body top is smaller than a unit injector top and has a hex flat top, line fitting on the side, and injector shell threads. It was assembled without an o-ring with a standard Detroit unit injector bottom. We used a modified unit injector holder with a small rod welded horizontally to it which pressed down on the body top center. The lines were run thru the edge of the valve cover. The only problem with the whole fuel system for 15 years was that this body has a cylinder pressed into it. This cylinder came loose and had to be machined out. The pump was timed 33 degrees before TDC. I tried other timings but this seemed to work best. The turbocharger setup was two-stage. The same size as used on a D-21.

I quit this project because the engine did not have enough pistons. If I could have used an inline 6-71 with a 12 cylinder P8700 pump I may be pulling with it today.

I think your 8V92 project could be done with two inline 8 cylinder pumps. With pump lobes which are 180 degrees opposite and other techniques listed above the first pump would fire in firing order cylinder 1, 3, 5, and 7. The second pump would fire in firing order cylinder 2, 4, 6, and 8. The first pump would be timed to firing order cylinder 1. The second pump would be timed to firing order cylinder 2. To visualize this draw a circle with a solid line from zero(0) degrees to 180 degrees and second solid line from 90 degrees and 270 degrees for pump one. Next, draw a dashed line from 45 degrees to 225 degrees and second dashed line from 135 degrees to 315 degrees for pump two. This project could be simplified with a 16 cylinder pump if there is one. Think double the size or number for turbochargers because it is 2-cycle. I have also thought about how to run a Detroit 2-cycle on alcohol with timed injection.

Re: 8v92 May 10, 2017 02:35PM
Why use double the cylinders, why not just run the pump at engine speed?

Re: 8v92 May 10, 2017 11:05PM
Because like puller 892 said the pump won't live turning that kind of rpms. They have to turn half of engine speed especially if you're turning any kind of rpms at all.

Re: 8v92 May 11, 2017 03:58AM
I can not verify what would happen if our P-pump would have been run at crank speed. Others may have experience running a P-pump at crank speed. We had no broken pump, etc. at half speed. I think you would have the equivalent of valve float in the pump at a crank speed of 5,000 rpm. The normal fix would be to add stronger plunger return springs, if it can be done. This would put additional load on the shaft (cam) resulting in a broken shaft. I heard that pullers have had broken shafts at half speed.

Re: 8v92 May 11, 2017 05:10AM
Thank you for sharing your experience. I would love to discuss it further with you. My email is open if you are willing to send me your phone number and a good time to call.

Thank you,
A.P.

Re: 8v92 May 25, 2017 05:30AM
Carl Schriever, a longtime OSTPA (Ohio) Modified puller, has always utilized an 8V-92. A photo of the 'old' "Playboy" can currently be viewed on the bottom hompage of www.pulling-reference.com.
Today, he pulls with "Playboy 2nd Chance". I suggest if you are interested in contacting Carl, for you to view the OSTPA website and contact Exec. Sec. Stacie White who will likely put you in touch with Carl. I would assume Carl may be of great value in helping you to achieve your 8V-92 power quest.

Re: 8v92 May 25, 2017 06:31AM
even the current Playboy tractor is not powered by a 2 stroke Detroit. I believe if you want a semi puller you should stay away from a 2 stroke motor.If you want a Detroit try an electronic 60 series.Might still be a waste of time and money, there is a reason they are all Cummins KT,Cat,or Mack E9

Re: 8v92 May 25, 2017 09:44AM
Cause everyone does the samething nothing wrong with trying something new. Do you know how much money those guys put into a kt and cat to get them to run? I bet you put the same about of money in other motors they run good also.

Re: 8v92 May 25, 2017 11:02AM
Besides starting in a hole, have to realize the 8V92 is only 736 cubes.

Re: 8v92 May 25, 2017 01:00PM
I can't guarantee it, but I am 90% sure that with $75,000 I could put a Detroit out front, but if it did happen the rules would get changed to keep the Detroit out because it's something different.

Re: 8v92 May 25, 2017 11:19PM
If you can get a Detroit out front for 75k they will not change the rules but there will be change, everyone else will have a Detroit next year

Re: 8v92 May 25, 2017 01:22PM
But one could say since it has double the power strokes it's really 1472 ci.Smiling
Best of luck Chris, if you can figure a way around the Roots and just run on the turbo's.......

Re: 8v92 October 25, 2022 01:09PM
Can't happen. A 2 stroke Detroit WILL NOT run without a blower... Not even a little bit, not even at all

Re: 8v92 October 25, 2022 02:11PM
Better late then never.

Re: 8v92 November 23, 2022 08:12PM
A 2 stroke detroit will run on turbo boost after you get boost built. If you had a way to disengage the roots blower under turbo boost this would free up the horsepower it takes to turn the blower. It would take some kind of a sprag or clutch blower drive that could be disengaged under turbo boost.

Re: 8v92 vs 12-71 weight difference November 25, 2022 02:42PM
What is base weight of an 8-92
What is the base weight of a 12-71
It would seem to me you could push more fuel with 12 injectors compared to 8

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,608, Posts: 229,663, Members: 3,324.
This forum: Topics: 37,062, Posts: 225,887.

Our newest member JD_8520