Component Style Tractor November 16, 2017 03:39PM
At what point is a tractor more akin to a component tractor? Essentially an Oliver by most rule books is a component with a cast rear. Why can't deere 7*10 rears be used?

Re: Component Style Tractor November 17, 2017 03:44PM
If it has a cast tractor rear-end housing it's not a component tractor. It doesn't matter what's inside the rearend housing, it doesn't matter what's inside the transmission housing, it doesn't matter if it has full length frame rails, and in the case of Oliver and a few others it doesn't matter if it has no transmission housing. As long as it has the cast rear-end housing it's not a component tractor.

It becomes a component tractor only when the rear-end housing is replaced with an aftermarket/truck/homemade/non-tractor rear-end housing.

That's not my opinion, that's what the rule book says. Hope this helps.

Re: Component Style Tractor November 17, 2017 07:14PM
Jake, I couldn't agree more. Who's rule book does this apply to? I wonder what associations would not allow this rule? I never understood why most associations let the level of modifications/butchering to old series tractors/transmissions to the point that there is no integrity left but, then not allow current available/safe parts to be used like the late 00,10,15, 20, or 30 series full frame tractors to be used?? It appears to me in some cases they are protecting the parts suppliers and builders or maybe they are just afraid of competition?? If associations want these light weight tractor classes and maintain some safety in them, they need to let go of the stone age. Yesterday's tractors are todays antiques. MHO, DW

Re: Component Style Tractor November 18, 2017 03:55AM
Jake, I was referring to tractors where the engine is independent of the rear end (ie. Oliver). Why can't (and why don't) more modern rear ends that are independent from the rear be utilized? A John Deere 7810 has the engine independent from the rear. Why couldn't a puller use that engine and rear end and remove the factory frame like an Oliver?

Re: Component Style Tractor November 18, 2017 01:33PM
They should be able to. I see no reason why it would be a problem in any class. I believe that's how Mickey Shorter's tractor is still setup (it was one of the last non-component Diehard Deere tractors of Wilemans) It's been a while but I think most organizations allow it (I don't think the Outlaws do but I might be wrong). My memory isn't perfectly clear but I think the engines on the Deere would have to be moved back to 60" from the centerline of the rear axle (they were further forward in the stock configuration). Wileman's were forced to do this after they got approval and built their tractors to stock specs and then dominated the NTPA circuit for a year (honestly, I don't think their chassis had anything to do with their success, they were just at the top of their game).

If it's OK for Oliver it should be OK for any other manufacturer who has a stock chassis with that configuration.

Re: Component Style Tractor November 18, 2017 02:22PM
That's what I was thinking. Why don't more go this route? Would be handy for clutch maintainence and for motor placement.

Re: Component Style Tractor November 19, 2017 04:12AM
Motor placement seems to be the big question with these chassis, difficult to police?

Re: Component Style Tractor November 19, 2017 05:14AM
Hard to police?? I didn't know a tape measure was that high tech or difficult to use. Simple measurement from the center of the rear axle to the back or front of the block.

Re: Component Style Tractor November 19, 2017 12:33PM
I agree with you, but that is not the placement that caused a stir.

Re: Component Style Tractor November 19, 2017 02:10PM
Not sure what you mean? Please explain. Thanks in advance.

Re: Component Style Tractor November 19, 2017 03:19PM
Its on the down low Spinning

Re: Component Style Tractor November 20, 2017 02:28PM
If the newer John Deere rears are legal to run, why don't more people do so? Availability of parts? Weight? I wouldn't think placement would be hard to police; just simple external measurements. I would think the motor placement would also have a better in lighter classes for Deere's. Are there any LLSS running this rear?

Re: Component Style Tractor November 21, 2017 12:37PM
Coming from an Oliver guy, I'm not sure why you would want them separate. My clutch maintenance doesn't happen any faster than a tractor you actually split. When you refer to motor placement, are you saying you would like to move the motor father forward in the chassis? I can tell you first hand having an engine mounted independently from the rear end makes mounting and securing an engine more difficult in relation to keeping the clutch/driveline/trans input inline. It's the nature of the beast, but I'm not sure I gather the benefit.

Re: Component Style Tractor November 22, 2017 10:43AM
Maintenance isn't any less frequent, but easier. Who enjoys laying under the clutch getting all sooty changing weights or stand heights? If a floater warps, you don't have to split the whole tractor. I would think that a clutch in a clutch can away from the driver would be safer. Right now most guys running a Deere are resting their feet over the clutch.
As far as placement, according to Doug Robert's diagrams regarding the Outlaw LSS, the rear of the motor on a 4010 is 40.75" from the rear axle. I don't know the distance on a 7810 or any other newer Deere, but it has to be further forward. With the 2% slope allowed, the motor would be lower to the ground and easier to work on.

Re: Component Style Tractor November 22, 2017 12:19PM
I didn't mean I had to maintain my tractor less often, I meant I can't do it any faster. It has the same inspection hole any other flywheel housing has. If I have to change a floater plate, I have to pull the entire motor, including draining the entire cooling system, disconnecting the fuel supply, which in turns means priming the system again. Literally everything has to be disconnected from the engine and it has to be pulled from over head. I've been involved in splitting other tractors and I honestly can't say it's better either way. I will give you the fact that the clutch is farther away than in a Deere, so from a driver standpoint it would be slightly safer. But as far as being closer to the ground, the "rake" you build into the tractor at the front axle is the only thing that can change that. You can't have the center of the clutch lower than the input on the transmission.

Re: Component Style Tractor November 23, 2017 12:37AM
With a drop box or reverser the engine centerline can be wherever you want it on a component. But isn't there a rule pertaining to location?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,576, Posts: 229,605, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,857.

Our newest member BadHabit2