Wtpa/Schedule January 23, 2018 04:10PM
What happened to Marshfields labor day weekend pull? Herd rumors some didn't want it. Can't believe it.

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 23, 2018 04:42PM
It was hard to believe that they weren't having a pull. They always did a good job putting on a good show during the Central Wisconsin State Fair.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 23, 2018 11:56PM
Unless I missed it, there is not a single HSS hook on the calendar.

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 24, 2018 01:24AM
I talked to Bill Degenhardt, not enough tractors to support the class. Can't even have it at his own pull in Norwalk. But they are having LSS so they can pull in that class.

Jason Schultz
Call or Text 608 604 5068
Email jason@beermoneypullingteam.com
Beer Money Pulling Team Merchandise [beermoneypullingteam.com]

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 24, 2018 02:42AM
I see there is a new pull in Colby. 7 classes. Should be a nice addition

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 24, 2018 02:46AM
We are pretty excited! We are working on a couple things for our first NTPA pull. We’re prettt excited to be on the schedule, and looking forward to both events.

How sad. Region 3 super stock is dying. January 24, 2018 02:54AM
It's too bad that there are no more super stocks in region 3. Hard to keep these tractors on the track with out a huge commitment. It use to be one of the best classes in the region. I know there are tractors out there but, all long time pullers who have other priorities in life. Splitting the class was a big mistake. Guys like Gary Wipf and Bob Gasnemer always showed up at pulls. But with Diesel only hooks they had no choice but to go pull somewhere else. As a fan i liked seeing both types of tractors together. Smoke vs alcohol was always interesting. i know there is the old debate that has been beaten to death. but i guess we now know the ramifications of it. GrinningBeer

Re: How sad. Region 3 super stock is dying. January 26, 2018 06:20AM
It's not a split class in region 3. There is still a heavy superstock and diesel and alcohol pull together. There is only 3 guys that usually run. The deere and a red one and a allis. All the others are guys that are outdated and don't want to come put and pull besides once or twice a year. It's the guys in the class not the class fault up around here. That's where the problem is. Now with blechinger blow up last year I heard he isn't going to be out with it this year.

Re: How sad. Region 3 super stock is dying. February 05, 2018 02:39AM
I believe there is desile supers in Reginon 3 including Degernharts and Lehn even tho he mainly runs the GN he does try to attend local hooks. Thoes are the 2 NTPA tractors i know of. Other tractorts i think could run that would be schultz's Blackjack from IA, Stray horse in MN, proubly a few more too but just saying

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 24, 2018 08:05AM
Grand National DSS will be the next to go if they don't dial them down some. Limits need to be put in place. The horsepower is awesome, however how long is it sustainable economically. The class gets thinner every year!

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 27, 2018 03:13PM
Red lite pro
Limits need to be put in place.

That should have been done a LONG time ago! But NO instead new classes were made.smdh

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 28, 2018 10:54AM
Is making new classes with "tougher" limits not pretty much the same as putting limits on an existing class, except for the fact you still allow the guys who don't want to change / scale down to still run the way they like and let them meet their possible fate?
At least they can still try to bring their numbers up / improve their show. Better than not having a chance to improve things at all because your tractor was made illegal...

Where I come from a big issue was that many of those who still run their 10 year old set up in "open" classes wouldn't help any new guys at all. Instead met them with suspicion, treated them like 12 year olds and wouldn't even talk to them in the pits, afraid somebody could potentially take their prize money.
Meanwhile the guys from the limited (new) class welcomed every new competitor with open arms, told them exactly how to do it, helped with parts and got them going - because they knew they needed numbers in the class to get booked by promoters.
Guess which class has only 6 and which has 16 hooks this upcoming season and which class has 15 tractors signed in and which only 5...and which guys took 2nd, 3rd and 4th when we ran three of each against each other once.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 29, 2018 02:11PM
Sascha
Is making new classes with "tougher" limits not pretty much the same as putting limits on an existing class, except for the fact you still allow the guys who don't want to change / scale down to still run the way they like and let them meet their possible fate?
At least they can still try to bring their numbers up / improve their show. Better than not having a chance to improve things at all because your tractor was made illegal...

Where I come from a big issue was that many of those who still run their 10 year old set up in "open" classes wouldn't help any new guys at all. Instead met them with suspicion, treated them like 12 year olds and wouldn't even talk to them in the pits, afraid somebody could potentially take their prize money.
Meanwhile the guys from the limited (new) class welcomed every new competitor with open arms, told them exactly how to do it, helped with parts and got them going - because they knew they needed numbers in the class to get booked by promoters.
Guess which class has only 6 and which has 16 hooks this upcoming season and which class has 15 tractors signed in and which only 5...and which guys took 2nd, 3rd and 4th when we ran three of each against each other once.

Sascha, I have read your post several times and have not really figured out what it is you are trying to say. Please forgive my ignorance.

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 29, 2018 10:23PM
Supertiquer
Sascha

Sascha, I have read your post several times and have not really figured out what it is you are trying to say. Please forgive my ignorance.

Response; Sometime it is hard for the person who dedicated a lot of time towards his Pulling class to see a problem with dwindling numbers. Rather than argue with a group of pullers who are committed to their given class, it's easier to form a new pulling class that may attract new members. Pullers who quit pulling in classes that are dying are looking for a place where they can compete with the equipment they already have [with some changes]. Not everyone has an endless supply of money to throw at a sport they love!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2018 10:24PM by PULLMX.

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 29, 2018 11:20PM
Thank you for a great summer last year. There was the most supers out last year that i can remember at alot of shows. I love super stocks and always will. Hope we find a few more hooks in the state this year. Have a great remainder of the winter and be safe..... Jeremy Miller

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 29, 2018 03:30PM
From what im seeing in the lt-pro class its not going to take long to kill what just got started

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 30, 2018 02:45AM
Please explain why

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 24, 2018 08:41AM
Marshfield unfortunately moved their fair to a different weekend. There is a pull on the schedule in Marshfield during Farm Technology Days in Early July.

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 26, 2018 11:47AM
Yeah and anoka has dropped a hook but thank gosh Houston mn picked one up. Funny thing is last year was the most supers that have been out in a long long time. Lets drop hooks just as people started to come out and play. in MN this year hooking was Kenny Witt, Millers, Guy Blechanger, Randy Becker, Greg Rantz, and Esdon hooked once in a while. we have the tractors but yet now we drop the hooks???????

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 26, 2018 11:05PM
Don’t forget about Dahl he was out last year

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 27, 2018 02:00PM
Who are the “outdated” tractors that won’t come out and run?

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 28, 2018 09:26AM
Outdated as in Dahl, becker, millers and you ratz. Dahl runs when he can. Becker is a once or twice a year and ratz you haven't got the thing to run. The only guys that normally put on a show and are out unless broke are blechinger and witt.

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 28, 2018 10:02AM
Yup you are right. Old and outdated junk is what I have. And I’ve only made half of a pass. I built this tractor myself.....I paid for it myself and owe no one a dime for any of it. I’m pretty proud of my outdated junk. Blake....I hope you have a boat load of cash and a pile of intelligence when you put your Hss on the track. I wish you only the best!

To all DSS competitors February 07, 2018 01:58AM
Well spoken Gpopper! Don't give up on your dream of running and maintaining one of these beasts. I have the utmost respect for your accomplishments on a tight budget as well as All of the people who invest in these DSS machines. The best part about it is, It's Paid For and you are having a good time doing it! Congrats!!!

Re: To all DSS competitors February 07, 2018 11:36AM
Thanks! We’re working hard this winter and will be ready for 2018. I will say....these UPM hss pullers are a class act and you can obviously tell that we stick together!

Re: To all DSS competitors February 07, 2018 04:20PM
gpopper
Thanks! We’re working hard this winter and will be ready for 2018. I will say....these UPM hss pullers are a class act and you can obviously tell that we stick together!

You have worked just as hard as I have. Wish you could bring that Cub of yours down this way to an ITPA hss pull.

Re: To all DSS competitors February 08, 2018 01:01AM
Complaining occurs on all levels of pulling regardless of class. I have heard the LLSS complaining, HSS complaining, even complaining in STOCK tractor classes as well as garden tractors. What made this sport so great was that instead of changing the rules just to appease the complainers the pullers would find a way to beat the guys who beat them whether it be putting a second V8 on their mod or a second or third turbocharger on their super stock. In the sport of truck and tractor pulling you can do two things: 1. Complain and hope things go your way in the next rule change which may take a few years. OR 2. Invest your time, money, and energy into making yourself and your vehicle better on the track to beat whoever beat you.

Re: Promoters perspective February 08, 2018 02:22AM
This is maybe a can of worms I shouldn't be opening but I'm gonna take a stab at it! As co-chair of Ellsworth most of you know we were strong supporters of the DSS class for roughly 6-8 years. The first couple years without looking we had good numbers and then the numbers of true diesels began to dwindle however some light pros would jump up and keep the class in that 6-8 range. We chose to go the diesel only route for the reason when started in reality nobody could get along to pull a mixed or true HSS class and the diesels were the class with more numbers and we stayed with it. Fast forward to 2018 and we have elected to drop the class as well as Norwalk due to multiple factors...... as a promoter a small class is is quite expensive compared to a class of 10, not knowing who would be there for whatever reason-wether it be not ready, breakage, family commitments, conflict in schedules, not wanting to run against the GN caliber tractors, etc.it was frustrating to me personally knowing that there were tractors within reasonable distance who did not come knowing if those who could we would have had a nice class of 10+.i would like to thank those who did support the class over the years! How many HSS would there be at Region level in a mixed class? I'm always open to suggestions but have also been on the other end and hear how many will show and it's not even close. I'm not trying to stir the pot I'm trying to get reliable numbers and maybe we can work somthing out at our event....... fire away!

Re: Promoters perspective February 08, 2018 10:40AM
Doug Borth
This is maybe a can of worms I shouldn't be opening but I'm gonna take a stab at it! As co-chair of Ellsworth most of you know we were strong supporters of the DSS class for roughly 6-8 years. The first couple years without looking we had good numbers and then the numbers of true diesels began to dwindle however some light pros would jump up and keep the class in that 6-8 range. We chose to go the diesel only route for the reason when started in reality nobody could get along to pull a mixed or true HSS class and the diesels were the class with more numbers and we stayed with it. Fast forward to 2018 and we have elected to drop the class as well as Norwalk due to multiple factors...... as a promoter a small class is is quite expensive compared to a class of 10, not knowing who would be there for whatever reason-wether it be not ready, breakage, family commitments, conflict in schedules, not wanting to run against the GN caliber tractors, etc.it was frustrating to me personally knowing that there were tractors within reasonable distance who did not come knowing if those who could we would have had a nice class of 10+.i would like to thank those who did support the class over the years! How many HSS would there be at Region level in a mixed class? I'm always open to suggestions but have also been on the other end and hear how many will show and it's not even close. I'm not trying to stir the pot I'm trying to get reliable numbers and maybe we can work somthing out at our event....... fire away!

Says the guy that then goes and spends how much more money for GN mods and has 6 show up!!!!

Re: Promoters perspective February 08, 2018 01:38PM
What does that have to do with DSS? They had their chance and numbers continue to dwindle. Not real interested in Lite Pros jumping up just because ther is money on the table. I'm not gonna make a decision on a class after 1 year..... maybe mods will not work out in the future-trying somthing that is not at every pull you go to in Wi. Your entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine! BTW be a man and sign your name and don't hide behind a computer screenSpinning

Re: Promoters perspective February 08, 2018 03:29PM
My point was you were the one preaching in your post about the cost of the class with low numbers. Seems a little funny to say that when you have GN mods.

Re: Promoters perspective February 08, 2018 03:56PM
That's why there is something called sponsors to help cover the cost of the class. Also, adding the Mods helps bring in more people to the stands because there isn't many places around Ellsworth that you can go to see 8 tough running multi-engine tractors. I believe it was a great addition to the class last year and look forward to this year as well.

Brent Yaron

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 28, 2018 02:49PM
Blakemn you have anything updated sitting in your shop that runs other than your key board, if not don't come on here running your mouth about people and tractors you know nothing about.

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 29, 2018 12:54AM
Oh believe me guys you all have a right to get butthurt. We all know the struggles. No fear I'm not a keyboard puller. Have my own. But I built for a class I can fund myself for instead of being in last place all the time. You guys sure get testy for something everyone thinks.

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 29, 2018 01:47AM
Well Blake........my plan isn’t to be last. I believe this....if you have the right to swing a Louisville slugger then so be it. I believe in this case you were being wise and have no skin in this game so you really should’ve kept your bat in the bat bag. Please reveal your name and pulling schedule as I’d like to see your tractor in action as I am a fan at all levels. Also feel free to look me up at a pull and I’ll take my hoods off and show you my pre historic dinasaur. I’m civil...I’ll treat you well! Greg Ratz-One Of A Kind Pulling Team.

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 29, 2018 06:59AM
Henderson, Degenhardt and Boeckmann all hook the HSS too. It takes all of use to support this class. Rats, Dahl, Miller's and Becker I for one appreciate everything they do and enjoy seeing them at the pulls. Comments such as blakemn's do nothing to help the sport, your entitled to your opinion but why voice such things. You say you are a puller but what benefit to the pulling world are you?

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 29, 2018 01:53PM
Blakemn
Oh believe me guys you all have a right to get butthurt. We all know the struggles. No fear I'm not a keyboard puller. Have my own. But I built for a class I can fund myself for instead of being in last place all the time. You guys sure get testy for something everyone thinks.

Can you show everyone on here a picture of it?

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 28, 2018 07:50AM
And what rule would that be?

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 28, 2018 01:11PM
Blake- why dont you put your MONEY where your mouth is and build a tractor!!!!!You are right there are some tractors in MN that dont pile the smoke 30 feet into the air and roll the tires at over 70 mph like the GN guys do!! You can only afford to do so much Greg Rantz is trying to get his tractor running. Miller's do it on a very tight budget . Why do i know there budget because they are my Dad and Brother!!! All these guys love to pull and its MOUTH runners like yourself that pi$$ people off!!!! STAY home if you dont like MN shows. Jeremy Miller ALLIS FAN

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 31, 2018 02:06PM
What does the superstock class have to do with the light prostocks?

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 27, 2018 11:55PM
Let's not forget that some of us won't pull with wtpa because they have been known to change rules half way through the season. With special private rules meetings

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 29, 2018 04:01AM
Please explain.

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 29, 2018 08:33AM
rules were set at the rules meeting for LPS. I know of 3 tractors that were built. Then they told the lps tractors they would not be allowed to run. It was a few years ago... But was a REALLY nasty thing to do to those pullers. I have banned WTPA since they did it.

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 29, 2018 08:51AM
Heavy dss puller from wi
rules were set at the rules meeting for LPS. I know of 3 tractors that were built. Then they told the lps tractors they would not be allowed to run. It was a few years ago... But was a REALLY nasty thing to do to those pullers. I have banned WTPA since they did it.

Do you mean Light PS or Limited PS? What do you mean by " not allowed to run?" WTPA has both classes on their 2018 schedule. Whatever the issue was it's moot now. Those guys can pull in the class they built for now.

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 31, 2018 02:12AM
I feel we have two or more separate conversations going on here and I’m trying to understand both of them. In regards to changing the rules of LPS, those rules are
established at the National Level and the state follows those rules. To my knowledge, no rules were changed for the Light Prostock Class at the state level. I’m writing for clarification on a professional level and prefer not to be bashed. I’m striving to make WTPA the best that it can be and we are looking for open and honest feedback without being nasty. If you have an opinion or constructive criticism, I encourage you to visit the Wisconsin Tractor Pullers Association website where my contact information is listed. If you have an opinion or suggestion on how we can not only improve but also grow pulling, I’d like to talk.
Thank you,
Kurt Afdahl
President of WTPA

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 31, 2018 08:57AM
Mistress, Rules were changed at a secret meeting. It was in the early days of LTPS. Maybe before you were in the club. Pullers were told they would be able to pull. Tractors were built. Later at a secret meeting it was decided the LTPS tractors could not run. These are facts. Do your homework. I will never associate with WTPA again.

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 31, 2018 03:58PM
Hey Heavy DSS why don't u put your name down so everybody know's who u are. Sounds to me your just another crybaby that didn't get his way so your gonna bash the wtpa. Grow up. By the way your doing a great job Kurt!!

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 29, 2018 05:48AM
Changing rules is one thing, now having current "brain washed" tech officials that now look the other way in fear of getting shown the door like others were a couple of years ago........

Re: Wtpa/Schedule January 31, 2018 11:51PM
Wolverine in Region II is hurting just as bad when it comes to HSS. Besides things such as the 2008 recession the costs of running a competitive tractor have grown tremendously since the early 2000s. In Michigan we saw longtime pullers such as Schaendorf and Measle sell. Jerry Van Dorpe's passing saw Demon go to New York. The only three in the class I can think of in Michigan are Broughton (Grand National), Kwiatkowski (Grand National), and Diuble who's schedule does not allow for a full season. To compensate for this Wolverine created the Super Stock Combo class which allows other tractors in weight (mostly Super Farm) to compete. What really shows the change costs and horsepower is seeing the Super Farm beating the Super Stocks. The state that seems to have the healthiest Super Stock class is New York with Empire and NYTPA events having a plethora of iron.

4 blake February 05, 2018 02:32AM
Maybe all the HSS in MN should leave them in there shops for the summer. Then you can go to your area threshing show for all that HOT pulling action!!! That would exiting watching the same 14 B JDs go down the track.

Re: Wtpa/Schedule February 05, 2018 02:32PM
Hmmm, Aaron, you must not think much about Feldkamp's JD Trophy Buck. He made all the '17 Wolverine hooks.
Van Dorpe's 986 went to Brian Bricker in Pennsylvania. Only the third owner of the 986 that has never seen field work since new.
NY SS's continue their battle of east vs. west travels, and now all the in fighting of splitting diesels versus alky, when there are not enough tractors to really sustain either division, especially alky.

Re: Wtpa/Schedule February 06, 2018 12:42AM
Thank you for correcting me. I completely forgot about Trophy Buck. I thought I saw in the Puller that Bricker had also purchased Hi-Tech Redneck and that he was going to campaign that one and keep Demon in the shop (if only I had the money and he was willing to sell it). What would spur growth in the regional and state level HSS divisions? Would an OEM rear mandate or different cubic inch, fuel, and turbocharger setups similar in style to the LLSS help? Just throwing ideas out there.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 06, 2018 01:33AM
In my opinion there's no way to grow the DSS class. That ship sailed a while ago. They've pushed the edge of the envelope so far, and they've become so exotic that there are very few guys that have the temperment, aptitude, and budget to run them. I love watching them and I have a ton of respect for the guys that run them, but I think we need to be realistic on what the ceiling is for that class in the modern era. Now, with the rise of classes like Light Pro and Limited Pro it thins the herd even more and the DSS is at a point where sustainability is becoming a major concern on ALL levels, not just in WI.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 01:26AM
Jake, need your thoughts. At all levels in the SS class: Alcohol and Diesal run together, 505ci, pushrod motors in the light and heavy classes. Would this work ? Would it be viable?

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 02:20AM
Obviously I am not Jake.

But I always thought a 6500/7000 class would be interesting to do. 505 max vs 540 max. up to 4 turbos and push rod motors

Leaves out some of those HSS that cant make 7000 but most regions have these tractors.

Maybe even 7000/7500.

Region has HSS now just never got a chance to pull the class last few years with the DSS classes that were available.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 03:34AM
I agree with AV. Actually this is something I wrote about for Louisville about six years ago. Here's a link to the old article:

http://www.pulloff.com/phorum/read.php?6,119422,119422#msg-119422

I still agree with almost all of what I wrote in that old article. The only question I have is would the 500 lb. differential be necessary? The top DSS guys have really, really, really stepped up their game in the past six year. I think it would be interesting to see Chizek's and Philip's LSS's run against Triple Bypass, Bone Twister, etc... at even weight. I think it might be one heck of a good show.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 03:35AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 03:51AM
At 8000 lbs no I don't think so.

But at 7000 I do. The alky has more drivability out of the hole. The lighter the weight the diesel may have disadvantages of getting hooked and the speed needed.

HP to HP I can agree and the diesel carrying more torque. At the lighter weight the torque becomes less important.

And at the state and region level I think there are far more top 504 alkys than DSS like the GN guys.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 03:53AM by AV.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 04:52AM
That's what I said in my article... 7000 lbs. alky, 7500 lbs. diesel. However the diesel may not need the extra 500 lbs. It sure would be fun to watch.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 06:33AM
I ask how it will be different in the NTPA and you reply with "some guys will always cry?". That seems like a bad way of saying that it wouldn't be any different in the NTPA and every year there would be more rules changes and bitching. Classes come and go for sanctions all around the country. Do you really expect to add 2 new classes to a sanction and not have any attrition from the other classes? The numbers have been low in the WTPA for a while now, this isn't shocking news. There are obviously other classes that can fill the void. The DSS class still seems to have the numbers and the following on the national level anyway. You also mentioned in another post that you had recently spent time with the Hootman family, yet you haven't mentioned that Jason wants to run against the diesels. Probably because he doesn't want to go through the same thing his brother just did in New York. There's no point in killing the other SS classes just to save the DSS.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 07:08AM
I said I didn't care about complaining. Sure some will complain. Some always complain. That's not any different than the way it always was, the way it is, the way it always will be. That's the same for NTPA, PPL, Outlaw, and every other organization. Yes, obviously some guys in NTPA would complain if the classes were combined, but that's not the point of whether I think it's the right or wrong thing to do. Rules shouldn't be made to suit the complainers, rules should be made because they are in the best interest of the class(es), and the sport as a whole.

I've never asked Jason, but he's got one of the lightest, if not the lightest tractors in the country and he'd probably be happy if the class was even lighter than it is now, not heavier (but that's just a guess). Side note, Jason doesn't have a brother... Mark is Jason's father. I wasn't asked for Jason's opinion, or Mark's opinion or anyone else's opinion. I was simply asked for MY opinion. If you want their opinion YOU should ask them. They might have different opinions.

As for DSS numbers on the National circuit... they had 6 tractors make every hook. They had a total of 12 that collected points, but some of those only made a few hooks. They're not divided like some of the other national classes that have two circuits (PPL and NTPA) so I'd say that a 6-10 tractor circuit isn't very healthy. Especially if the minor league farm system isn't healthy (state level DSS).

Open/Unlimited Super numbers aren't great either.

The 504 LSS (and 504 HSS) probably have the most number of tractors out of the three superstock classes, but their numbers on the National circuits aren't anything special.

There are plenty of places that combine the class and most of them have a pretty good formula that seems to work. No it's not complaint free, but one last time... I don't care about complaining, I care about what puts on the best show for the fans and what keeps the classes viable for the future.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 11:52AM
Jake its been brought up before and i for one would love to see it.I would love to see a 680 cubic inch pro stock motor in a light weight component in the Light Super Class, if someone could get enough gear in it it would be very interesting, whats your opinion?

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 12:27PM
That sure would be cool to see. It would be a fun experiment, even if only for exhibition. It would definitely have to be a Small block JD or a DT466 to make weight. I'd love to see what gear it would need to get that torque to the ground!

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 08, 2018 12:47AM
It would be a disaster of epic proportions

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 08, 2018 01:03AM
AAR, why do you think that, those things make CRAZY POWER , i think they could run with them, i would be very interesting.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 08, 2018 09:31AM
Can’t get them to hook at 10000, dropping 3800 lbs and adding 30.5’s won’t make that better imo

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 08, 2018 11:39AM
that makes no cents. lite supers have more power than pros and they get it to the ground. with a fast enough gear you could snuff a pro engine at 6000#

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 08, 2018 11:55AM
“Sense”. Give it a whirl then

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 08, 2018 12:06PM
its not alowed. 504 max limit. i just dont get your logic.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 08, 2018 12:34PM
If they can’t effectively hook their power at 10000 what makes you think it will hook at 62?

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 08, 2018 12:53PM
umm cause lite super guys with more power already get it to the ground at 6000# so logic says less powerful pros wont be hard to do. mods make 10000 hp at 7500# and they get down the track. still trying to figure out your logic.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 08, 2018 01:07PM
Sometimes things defy what one person deems logic. On another note as it is currently not a legal option it’s kind of a he said she said discussion. Maybe one day it will be a legal option and you will see what I mean. Until then you can be right and I completely agree that a good lss has more power than a pro.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 04:16AM
How about you guys actually get pullers in those classes to chime in on whether they want them combined? We all know it's obviously a big priority with the Morgan clan to combine these two classes. I completely disagree. Take a look at this forum page right now, see any threads about combined classes? Yes, all over the place. Smokers bitching about alky's? Yep. Alky's bitching about smoker's? Yep. Both sides bitching about turbo size? Yep. So explain why it would be any different in NTPA if they were combined?

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 05:10AM
FYI AV is a DSS puller and he seems interested in it.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 05:14AM
First, the person posting under the name "To Jake:" asked for MY thoughts... AKA MY OPINION! So I gave it. That seems pretty self explanatory.

Second, you have your opinion and you think they should be separate. That's great. So how do we keep the DSS class alive?

Third, AV is a puller in the DSS class and he responded before I did, so yes a puller in the class has chimed in. How do you propose I get more guys to chime in? Should I somehow force them to post their opinion? They are free to chime-in of they want to.

Last but certainly not least, just because some guys complain doesn't mean it's the wrong thing to do. Some guys will always complain. The LLSS is a much better class BECAUSE they are combined. Rivalry drives fan interest in EVERY single sport. That's why major league sports play up rivalry as much as possible (even when none exists). Most of the complaining in the LLSS class now is regarding the big cube (470) tractors running a bigger turbo. Sure the alky guys don't like it, but neither to the 410 diesel guys and amazingly they run the same fuel. Personally I don't give a rats a&$ about complaining, I care about what puts on the best show for the fans and what keeps the classes viable for the future. Too many guys would cut off their nose to spite their face for short term gain, I'm trying to think more long term. I think the best long term solution is combination of the fuels and one united Super Stock class like it used to be.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 06:51AM
Jake, NTPA United Pullers Of Mn. Has the Heavy Supers running diesel and alcohol running together, the weights are 8,000 for the alcohol, 8300 for the diesels. This IS working well because no one tractor in the class is completely dominating. Reason being: push rod motors, 436 ci, 505 ci, 540 ci, Region 3 offers the same class.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 07:31AM
I'll chime in as a competitor.
The past is in the past and any hope of growth in the class is going to take the support of all the HSS competitors TOGETHER!
It has been proven here at the regional level that 505 alky can compete with the 540 diesels at 8000lb heads up. In the state diesels get 300lbs. Discussions that I have had with fellow competitors this seems to be what they're in support of.
Until then we need to support the events that are offering HSS! All of us!

"Let's make HSS great again!"

Ken Witt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 07:32AM by Fullpull.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 11:46AM
I believe Minnesota and Region 3 even allow overhead cam tractors to compete just to add numbers. Don't know if Kendall figured out what weight to run at yet but he's probably still working on it.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 08, 2018 01:35AM
I can't speak for my dad on the specifics BUT I do know that we try to make as many hooks as time allows and we thoroughly enjoy being able to pull against a multitude of tractors. It is always great to have more competition and be able to base what to change on your tractor to make it perform better. Great seeing you in Decorah Ken!

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 08, 2018 01:54AM
Randy Becker, that is the NTPA rulebook rule for Regional SS tractors. I'm glad it is working there well, as it is here in Region 2.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 11:16AM
Ken and Randy are both correct. Minnesota had six HSS at most of the hooks all year. This is the most tractors that have competed on a regular basis in a LONG LONG time. It was fun to watch all summer long. Randy, Ken, Trevor, Guy, Greg, Nick and even Esdon at a few shows. Then i see the schedule and there are dropped hooks.... I dont understand and maybe never will, But when the heavys are on the schedule i for sure will be there to watch them battle it out again in 2018

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 12:02PM
I'll start by saying I have great respect for Ken and Guy for the support they have shown for the class. However, until last year only 2 showed up every time. And by every time I mean every scheduled hook that they could run. To tell the promoter to book the class when you can count on 2 and maybe 6 will show up is a hard sell when there are other classes with numbers that will support it. MN could have an awesome class if they got the support. Ken, Guy, Miller's, Randy, Nick D, Greg R, Bruce B and Roger P just to start the list. It is unfair to count on Esdon to be there all the time to run.

Also remember some other pullers from other classes have also tried jumping in the class over the last few years and were chased out by some pullers upset at getting lower payout checks.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 12:34PM
Both the heavy and light Alky's have decent numbers in both NTPA and PPL. If there are only 6 smokers running GN in the entire country, then this class is already dead. Why take the LSS down with it? There obviously isn't enough interest in the class anymore for new pullers to join the class, so why is it so important to save it? Do you really think that people are going to start building more diesels if the classes combine? But they sure seem to be flocking to the light and limited pro classes don't they. It doesn't take genius to figure out why that is.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 12:57PM
Grubby
Both the heavy and light Alky's have decent numbers in both NTPA and PPL. If there are only 6 smokers running GN in the entire country, then this class is already dead. Why take the LSS down with it? There obviously isn't enough interest in the class anymore for new pullers to join the class, so why is it so important to save it? Do you really think that people are going to start building more diesels if the classes combine? But they sure seem to be flocking to the light and limited pro classes don't they. It doesn't take genius to figure out why that is.

So you brought you're argument full circle to almost completely agree with my first post on this thread... as follows:
Jake Morgan
In my opinion there's no way to grow the DSS class. That ship sailed a while ago. They've pushed the edge of the envelope so far, and they've become so exotic that there are very few guys that have the temperment, aptitude, and budget to run them. I love watching them and I have a ton of respect for the guys that run them, but I think we need to be realistic on what the ceiling is for that class in the modern era. Now, with the rise of classes like Light Pro and Limited Pro it thins the herd even more and the DSS is at a point where sustainability is becoming a major concern on ALL levels, not just in WI.

Again, I never said I wanted to grow it, but rather sustain it and give the current competitors a place to pull in the future, while allowing any potential new competitors a chance to build. I think it's a class worth saving. I also think that combining the classes has proven to work in numerous organizations.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 01:48PM
A diesel super from dayton mn and a diesel super from norwalk wi already run 540 at 6200 pounds in wi with the alkys

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 02:59PM
And how is that going?

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 07, 2018 04:28PM
Region III:
Ellsworth - Diggin' Hard (1st/9)
Marshfield - Diggin' Fever (1st/9), Diggin' Hard (DQ but would have been 4th, 10 feet behind 1st)
Ridgeland - Diggin' Fever (3rd/7, 11 feet behind 1st)

Region V:
New Hampton - Diggin' Hard (2nd/8, full pull then break in pulloff)

Those are the events that the 540 diesels run with the alkys and would have to say they are doing mighty fine. I would say there is something here that may need a little trying out to see if it will work.

Brent Yaron

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 08, 2018 03:08AM
Question, I know that some of the grand national DSS guys are bigger than 540. Is it a state or regional rule that limits HSS diesel to 540? Thanks

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 08, 2018 05:04AM
That's the rules for Region III HSS tractors.

Brent Yaron

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 08, 2018 01:42PM
Rulebook says steel billet and steel recast (not aluminum) allowed...but limited to 540 cubes. "Diesel SS with 4 turbos and three stages of air are limited to 540 cubic inches maximum." Level of competition - state, region, GN - is not specified. Of course, this applies to the 'heavy' SS class.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 09, 2018 12:27AM
So then the Region III diesel supers can run bigger cubes than 540, but only 3 charger?

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 09, 2018 01:37AM
LSS Fan, yes, if it is a HSS. NO, if it is a LSS as they are maxed at 505 cubes, be it alky OR diesel. This is based on my reading and comprehending what the NTPA rulebook states in Super Stock: Engines. I could be wrong. If so, somebody please politely correct me.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 08, 2018 03:06AM
But instead of having the DSS fix their own problems, you just want to add them to another class and ruin that one too. That's where I disagree with you. The LSS doesn't need anything, the class is running fine. The DSS class is a microcosm of what's wrong with the sport these days. Too much money, too many break downs, etc. The Prostocks and Modifieds aren't far behind. But instead of addressing those problems, let's just put them in another class and stick our head in the sand and act like nothing's wrong.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 08, 2018 08:49AM
You make it sound like you are the first person to recognize the obvious problem with certain classes in pulling. The pullers apparently are happy with the rules in their respective classes. And there are solutions, it's called Lt. PS, LSS, 4.1 Lm PS, Lt. Unlimited mods. The DSS class had several opportunities to "fix" their problems. There has been proposals concerning restricter plates, cubic inch reductions and the pullers in the class have rejected them all. As they are the ones spending the money I have no problem with them having the rules that they choose. However the numbers in the class keep dwindling and if the leadership of the NTPA did not hold the class in such high esteem they probably would see a much smaller schedule.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2018 08:49AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: DSS in Wtpa and elsewhere February 11, 2018 04:47AM
Sad to see this class decline and glad there are a fed pushing to support it

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,613, Posts: 229,668, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,064, Posts: 225,889.

Our newest member JD_8520