NFMS breakage February 17, 2018 05:37AM
If a tractor class has in excess of 2000 HP,................................. cast is a ticking time bomb,....................welding hubs to 50 year old axles is risky. Man up and park the 706& 4010 rears!

LT.PS breaking off wheel February 17, 2018 05:40AM
Just saw a Lt PS break off a wheel that climded the sand pile and just missed the camera guy, no body hurt.

Re: LT.PS breaking off wheel February 17, 2018 06:49AM
Tractor pulling is more fun with Ag chassis.

Re: NFMS breakage February 17, 2018 07:35AM
Man, I would love me one of them new fancy component chassis. When I can save $30,000 after all other life expenses I will get one. Not all pullers can afford to be at the top of the food chain. If you would like to donate to the cause post your name and number and I will give you a call.

State Puller What is your name? February 17, 2018 07:45AM
If you are building an ag chassis correctly they cost more than a component. 50k to modify a JD rear ended to have component parts. All for the sake of calling yourself “stock” STOOOOPID! Guess what, even after spending all that money to have a truck rear end installed, the cast is still going to break.

Re: NFMS breakage February 17, 2018 09:40AM
We're not getting the whole story about how they ground on the axles and put and put 560 axles in them . The ag chassis is perfectly fine and you people think you need to go component you go go pro stock and leave a light ProClass a lone!!!

Re: NFMS breakage February 19, 2018 08:22AM
I agree, they shouldn't change the Ag chassis out of the light pro stock without a vote. I pull in the light pro class, and I only know of 2 people who want the component chassis and 20 who do not. I'm not speaking for anybody, but if the pullers want it and vote for it, then so be it but I do not agree with it. They have a class for the components and its called the pro stock class. If you want the component that's what you need to build.

Re: NFMS breakage February 19, 2018 12:01PM
I agree with you on that. The guys in the class should get to vote. I haven't even got mine on the track yet, so I'm not real excited about the component chassis. I would really like to see a g-trim exhaust rule instead. Light prostock is an awesome class, I hope they don't do something stupid to chase everyone away already.

Wheel tethers... February 17, 2018 10:11AM
Chizek broke the planetary off on his COMPONENT Light Super today too. The wheel didn't roll down the track but it just as easily could have.

Light Pro doesn't need a component chassis. We do need to have a serious discussion about wheel tethers though. Monster Trucks use them and pulling should too.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Really Jake?dvhoo February 17, 2018 01:56PM
The light pros are currently making more horsepower than the pro-stocks were when they went component. Scarcity of parts is becoming an issue for ag chassis. Placing stress on cast that is in a lot of instances 45-50 years old is asinine. You have your opinions and always have. You are a purist when it’s convenient, you were all against billet blocks, but; as soon as Mark Hootman wants one you become a schizophrenic and try to justify how they are a necessary evil. Same is true for components in the light pro class. Come visit R2 more often so at the very least you can have a more informed and better educated opinion.

Re: Really Jake?dvhoo February 17, 2018 02:48PM
To Horses.
No he actually stayed in the seat the entire time. Even after they unhooked the sled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2018 02:49PM by Oliver with Cat 3208.

Re: Really Jake?dvhoo February 17, 2018 03:24PM
Thanks,i saw him jump off of the original "running bare alcohol" one yr and he ran over an jumped the concrete barrier and ran up into the stands an sat on the steps next to Ernie Conner.

Re: Really Jake?dvhoo February 17, 2018 04:45PM
Maybe it's time to limit the turbo to a g-trim wheel before we make another class too expensive to keep the numbers it has. There's nothing wrong with the cast chassis if something were put in place to slow these giant gains in horsepower.

Re: Wheel tethers... February 19, 2018 03:37AM
Let's look at you points one at a time:
LPSOHSW
The light pros are currently making more horsepower than the pro-stocks were when they went component.
That may be true, but there are still non-component Pros that don't seem to fall apart all the time and they are making more Hp than the Light Pros. There are also Non-component DSS that make more power than the Light Pros and they seem to hold up as well. Maybe instead of completely changing the chassis we should talk of a partial chassis change or we should talk about putting some other limits on the class to keep the Horsepower in check. Maybe a 4.5 or 4.6 limit or even a 5.0 limit would be a step in the right direction to stop them where they're at. The SF class also just taught us that a turbo limit should be smooth bore to remove any grey area.
LPSOHSW
Scarcity of parts is becoming an issue for ag chassis.
Really? What parts? I still see plenty of 706 rear-end on the For Sale page all the time. The scarcity of parts argument doesn't even hold a single drop of water. Maybe a better set of axles would have prevented what we saw at Louisville.
LPSOHSW
Placing stress on cast that is in a lot of instances 45-50 years old is asinine.
I agree, we should start thinking/talking about making some minor tweaks to the chassis rules and engine rules to allow all new OEM options.
LPSOHSW
You are a purist when it’s convenient, you were all against billet blocks, but; as soon as Mark Hootman wants one you become a schizophrenic and try to justify how they are a necessary evil. Same is true for components in the light pro class.
Maybe you should go a re-read my posts about billet blocks, I said repeatedly that I'm not a fan of them. I'm not a fan of ANY aftermarket block. I've been consistent on that. My argument is that an aftermarket cast block and an aftermarket billet block are no different, they are both AFTERMARKET. If you allow one then you should allow both, if you ban one you should ban both. The manufacturing process shouldn't even be a concern. Allow ALL aftermarket or allow NO aftermarket don't pick some arbitrary grey area in the middle. That doesn't seem schizophrenic to me, that seems extremely consistent.
LPSOHSW
Come visit R2 more often so at the very least you can have a more informed and better educated opinion.
You're right, R2 has some great Light Pros, but they aren't far superior to any of the other Light Pros in the country. It's an awesome class overall and there are top running tractors all over the pulling landscape. Implying that R2 is somehow superior to the other organizations is amazingly ignorant. The NFMS just proved that top running Light Pros can come from anywhere... and yes, even if they are called Mod Turbos. The class puts on a great show and to make a major chassis change now would split the class and ruin a great thing.

I still think we need to talk about wheel tethers, for both the front and the rear. I've seen far too many front wheels go flying on component and Ag chassis tractors, and even some with front suspension. Thankfully we've been extremely fortunate that nobody have been seriously injured. Wheel tether's are out there for everything to Monster Trucks to Indy cars so surely we can make them work in tractor pulling. I hope we don't seriously address this after someone gets hurt.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Wheel tethers... February 19, 2018 05:27AM
We already have Pro classes with plenty of limits called limited Pro, Lite limited Pro, leave the light Pro class alone no components, no turbo limits, seems like every time a class gets going somebody wants to do something stupid and change the rules for no reason, if you can't build to a class that's already existing don't bother building

Re: Wheel tethers... February 19, 2018 06:05AM
Oh Jake, you really have had your head buried in the sand. Name one non component pro not falling apart making more HP, one super for that matter that is still cast? Take a look at the results from last year in R2 where LPS jumped in the heavy super class. Most instances the highest placing light pro was within 30’ of the winning SS. 706 rearends for sale...... sure would be great for a to hot to farm class, but not a light pro. Light Pro’s in R2 are superior to anywhere else in the country. No one else in the country runs 30+ times for a championship. So yeah a couple from NC and one from WI can come here, wick it up and be respectable. They can run that way for 30 hooks. It’s a durability issue, 45-50 year old cast doesn’t provide durability. Spending 50K to put truck parts in a cast rearend doesn’t provide long term affordability because it’s still going to break. Billet blocks have been an issue of debate for 40+ years now. If you would have been privileged enough to grow up in Ohio you would know there was an NTPA Champ in 1981 that ran a billet block that year. The only ignorance from my POV is your lack of knowledge on this class, but; since you haven’t spent the money to build one it’s easy to arm chair. Guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Components are coming to the class, sooner or later they’re coming. Much like OSTPA was ahead of the country in allowing component pro’s. NTPA or PPL will allow them, just a matter of who wants to jump first. The pullers from Ohio, we have submitted it as an agenda item once again. It’s coming!
Jake Morgan
Let's look at you points one at a time:
LPSOHSW
The light pros are currently making more horsepower than the pro-stocks were when they went component.
That may be true, but there are still non-component Pros that don't seem to fall apart all the time and they are making more Hp than the Light Pros. There are also Non-component DSS that make more power than the Light Pros and they seem to hold up as well. Maybe instead of completely changing the chassis we should talk of a partial chassis change or we should talk about putting some other limits on the class to keep the Horsepower in check. Maybe a 4.5 or 4.6 limit or even a 5.0 limit would be a step in the right direction to stop them where they're at. The SF class also just taught us that a turbo limit should be smooth bore to remove any grey area.
LPSOHSW
Scarcity of parts is becoming an issue for ag chassis.
Really? What parts? I still see plenty of 706 rear-end on the For Sale page all the time. The scarcity of parts argument doesn't even hold a single drop of water. Maybe a better set of axles would have prevented what we saw at Louisville.
LPSOHSW
Placing stress on cast that is in a lot of instances 45-50 years old is asinine.
I agree, we should start thinking/talking about making some minor tweaks to the chassis rules and engine rules to allow all new OEM options.
LPSOHSW
You are a purist when it’s convenient, you were all against billet blocks, but; as soon as Mark Hootman wants one you become a schizophrenic and try to justify how they are a necessary evil. Same is true for components in the light pro class.
Maybe you should go a re-read my posts about billet blocks, I said repeatedly that I'm not a fan of them. I'm not a fan of ANY aftermarket block. I've been consistent on that. My argument is that an aftermarket cast block and an aftermarket billet block are no different, they are both AFTERMARKET. If you allow one then you should allow both, if you ban one you should ban both. The manufacturing process shouldn't even be a concern. Allow ALL aftermarket or allow NO aftermarket don't pick some arbitrary grey area in the middle. That doesn't seem schizophrenic to me, that seems extremely consistent.
LPSOHSW
Come visit R2 more often so at the very least you can have a more informed and better educated opinion.
You're right, R2 has some great Light Pros, but they aren't far superior to any of the other Light Pros in the country. It's an awesome class overall and there are top running tractors all over the pulling landscape. Implying that R2 is somehow superior to the other organizations is amazingly ignorant. The NFMS just proved that top running Light Pros can come from anywhere... and yes, even if they are called Mod Turbos. The class puts on a great show and to make a major chassis change now would split the class and ruin a great thing.

I still think we need to talk about wheel tethers, for both the front and the rear. I've seen far too many front wheels go flying on component and Ag chassis tractors, and even some with front suspension. Thankfully we've been extremely fortunate that nobody have been seriously injured. Wheel tether's are out there for everything to Monster Trucks to Indy cars so surely we can make them work in tractor pulling. I hope we don't seriously address this after someone gets hurt.

Re: Wheel tethers... February 19, 2018 06:24AM
Mikey Shorter's Buck Eater has a cast rear. Hystrung, Dusk til Dawn, Nameless, T-Bone, Cash Explosion, just off the top of my head all have more power (and they weight more and have more torque which is much harder on the rear-end). There are still plenty out there making more power than Light Pros and they manage to make it down the track. Maybe you should get your head out of the sand and watch something other than a R2 Light Pro class.

I didn't say they weren't coming eventually, I said we didn't need them.

You're like the guy who yells for gun control immediately after someone gets shot. I knew that within 3 seconds of that axle breaking there'd be someone crying for components, just like the crying for gun control. The real issue in the class isn't the chassis, it's putting reasonable limits on the class BEFORE it gets completely out of control.

The other issue is putting simple safety limits in place to keep all wheels from making their way into the crowd.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Wheel tethers... February 19, 2018 06:46AM
Again if you paid attention to what is going on you would know that this component issue in our class is about 4-5 years old now. Limits were discussed when the class first started. 4.25xG-trim wheel, P-pump, and OEM heads. Since you were at the meetings I’m sure you remember all this...... wait, were you there? (Rhetorical) You’re like a guy who wants to coach in the NFL and thinks sitting in his recliner qualifies him to coach. Go back to your recliner, you may need to buy a new one, the arm chairs are probably worn out on the one you own. Shoot, you may even get LaZboy to sponsor you.

Jake Morgan
Mikey Shorter's Buck Eater has a cast rear. Hystrung, Dusk til Dawn, Nameless, T-Bone, Cash Explosion, just off the top of my head all have more power (and they weight more and have more torque which is much harder on the rear-end). There are still plenty out there making more power than Light Pros and they manage to make it down the track. Maybe you should get your head out of the sand and watch something other than a R2 Light Pro class.

I didn't say they weren't coming eventually, I said we didn't need them.

You're like the guy who yells for gun control immediately after someone gets shot. I knew that within 3 seconds of that axle breaking there'd be someone crying for components, just like the crying for gun control. The real issue in the class isn't the chassis, it's putting reasonable limits on the class BEFORE it gets completely out of control.

The other issue is putting simple safety limits in place to keep all wheels from making their way into the crowd.

Re: Wheel tethers... February 19, 2018 07:06AM
Stay calm Jake you are going off the deep end by getting your feathers all ruffled.

Re: Wheel tethers... February 19, 2018 07:59AM
Easy jake! Mickey shorter' was the first one I thought of tooBouncing

Re: Wheel tethers... February 19, 2018 11:46AM
I'm as calm as can be. It's just a fun discussion. I'm also not the guy saying the sky is falling and everyone should change their chassis just because an axle broke. I'm the guy calmly saying to stay the course and make some minor turbo tweaks to keep things reasonable.

To LPSOHSW,

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck and stumble upon the class yesterday. I was writing about a Light Pro class well before the class was even a reality. Well before you or anyone else owned a Light Pro. After spending years writing about lowering the cubic inches in the current (at the time) classes I starting writing about the creation of a new class(es) with lower cubic inch limits. That discussion turned into a larger movement that eventually lead to the Light Pro class. I know for a fact that posts from this website and those early discussions/threads were even taken to early rules meetings. I'm a huge proponent of the Light Pro class and I have been since its inception. You can pretend like I don't have a clue or that I just jumped on the bandwagon for the class, but that just isn't the case. I pushed for a class like this more than almost anyone right from the beginning. I also consistently mention that the Light Pro in one of my favorite classes in all of pulling (Along with LLSS). Use the search feature on this page and you can read all my old posts. Have a seat on your LaZboy and do some fun historical reading... LaZboy, Americas #1 Recliner (I'm contractually obligated to say that).

I initially proposed rules for a Light Pro Class that was component chassis with billet pumps and billet heads. I'd still love to see that class today. If that were the class we were discussing I think a component chassis would be warranted, but it's not. The current rules are almost right in between the two classes I initially proposed. With that I just don't think it would benefit our current class and the current economic climate.

I'll make no bones about it, I'm a fan of component chassis for certain classes, I pushed hard for them in some classes and I've even been ridiculed in the past when I said they were coming to the PS class. That said, I don't think they are necessary/needed for the Light Pro class with its current rules. Also, with the current landscape of our sport I think it's been very clear that the growth is happening in the more limited classes. I think a turbo limit would be much better for the Light Pro's long-term health. It's an excellent class as it currently stands.

I have no agenda, I have nothing invested, I simply care about the long-term health of the class. I believe that component tractors will have a negative impact on the class right now. I think it will create a giant split in the class and it will completely kill it's growth. Even the discussion of component tractors in the class has guys on the fence and scared away from building for the class.

Again, I love component chassis as an option for some classes, especially after watching the European Pros pull in Louisville. It just reinforced how awesome it would be to have a somewhat similar class with 510, billets head, billet pump, any charger at 7500ish lbs.

I just don't think it's the best move for this class right now. Maybe in the future, but I don't think now is the time to change the course that drastically.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2018 03:01PM by Jake Morgan.

You sound like someone else in pulling February 20, 2018 12:12AM
There is another guy involved in pulling that likes to take all the credit and thump his chest while doing nothing..... any guesses? We’ll just start calling you Baby Dave! As in David P. Schreier’s mini me!

Re: Wheel tethers... February 20, 2018 12:28AM
Aint got a dog in this fight,but DICK an Jake DON'T have to offer this FREE sight,respect for the individual is a good thing, jus sayn !!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2018 02:14AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Wheel tethers... February 20, 2018 02:03AM
It's just that LPSOHSW has resorted to name calling and trying to belittle me because everytime he calls me out on something I throw facts back at him. My opinion doesn't line up with his persona agenda and he can't see past that. Juvenile name calling is always a weak last resort. It always happens when they're losing the argument. He doesn't want what's best for the class he wants what's best for him or his friends.

I'm not taking credit for the class, and I wasn't the first person in the world to notice that the sport had a cubic inch problem. I was however, the first person on the internet to consistently write about lowering the cubic inches (if you can find any record of anyone else flying the "lower cubic inch" banner I'll gladly give them the credit). I was also the first person on the internet to consistently write about the need for this type of class (again, if you find proof I'll gladly give them all the credit). Use the search feature and check the dates. Also, this website and especially it's readers where the ones who made this class happen, may of which still pull in the class. LPSOHSW can pretend like he's the only expert on the class but there are plenty of other people/pullers who have been there since the start of the class and some of us have been promoting it since before it was even a class (again, you can easily check the dates on my old posts).

LPSOHSW, if you're just going to anonymously call me names I'm going to delete your posts because it's a waste of space and time. If you want to have a real discussion then feel free to keep posting.

I'm willing to stand behind what I've said on this site for the past 20 years.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2018 02:03AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: NFMS breakage February 17, 2018 11:35AM
I said this after the truck almost went into the stands in Kentucky earlier this year as well but we need to keep people out of the line of fire at the end of the track. I just saw a video of today's incident on Facebook. Not only did it almost get the camera man, it almost hoped in to a fully crowded seating area. That section shouldn't even be accessible in my opinion and the tire isn't the only reason. Engine damage can still launch parts forward and up even after all the safety improvements. Think of a the recent engine explosions. The tether around the engine sends them forward and up. Not a good spot for people to be sitting in my opinion.

Keith Ford Photography
[www.facebook.com]
keithfordphotography.zenfolio.com

Re: NFMS breakage February 17, 2018 12:03PM
Sandefur launched a spark plug a yr or so ago that ended up in the upper deck.

Re: NFMS breakage February 17, 2018 01:42PM
Jeff Hirt cracked his rearend this week at NFMS on his Open Super Component tractor. Luckily he found it before the finals. Or his tire would have been in the stands as well. With much faster wheel speeds.

Re: NFMS breakage February 17, 2018 01:50PM
Did he jump off of it like hes been known to do, an do cartwheels?

Re: NFMS breakage February 19, 2018 12:07PM
Just a outsider observing the light pro class,......the biggest problem on its horizon is the amount of fuel the 6 plunger pumps can't pump in relation to the amount of fuel the 8 plunger pump can. Smoking

Re: NFMS breakage February 19, 2018 12:21PM
Mabe we should outlaw pulling tractors, cars and guns entirely!....Think of the lives saved!
Seriously as a fellow puller I think the time has come for wheel tethers, especially at indoor pulls. Very fortunate no one was hurt.

Re: NFMS breakage February 20, 2018 07:08AM
I have seen front and back wheels come off SF, Hot Farm, Field Stock , Antiques, and component tractors. Are we going to mandate component chassis for a Antiques and Hot Farm and double strong drive trains for component vehbicles, no of course not. Then the only real answer is a tether system front and rear. We already know that wheels come off almost every class of vehicles.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: NFMS breakage February 20, 2018 11:01AM
How do you tether a spinning wheel? What does the tether attach to?

Re: NFMS breakage February 20, 2018 11:07AM
First of all absolutely do not need components in this class if you want to run a component go to the pro stock class end of story !!! Second of all the light protractor that lost its rear tire in Louisville is an old superstock tractor. So I'm sure there's more to the story than just the axle twisting off. third of all that track wasn't that good to twist and axle off . See you guys on here crying about having a component tractor if you don't like it don't pull.

Re: NFMS breakage February 20, 2018 01:11PM
Im with you on that light pro puller all the pride of pulling your favorite brand tractor has gone to the imitation Log skiders but to each his own

Re: NFMS breakage February 20, 2018 02:00PM
I could see tethering a front wheel but not the rear drive wheel. I'm no expert but trying to stop that large of a tire/wheel at the speed they are turning could lead to a bigger disaster when you snag that kind of momentum. Like maybe even getting under the tractor and flipping it violently. A lot of research and testing would need to be done. Bottom line it's a motor sport and all non essential personnel need to be out of the way including camera operators.

Re: NFMS breakage February 20, 2018 02:18PM
Never heard of wheel tethers until I read this thread. I looked it up and from what I understand it attaches to the spindle. Not sure or even how it would attach to an axle, the ones I've seen break, break clean off.
And why any event or insurance would allow ppl or crew to be located at the end of the track is just asking for a lawsuit or worse.
Things are going to break and things will happen, it's how you prepare for the worse that matters.

Re: NFMS breakage February 20, 2018 02:20PM
The technology is already there, all the indoor monster trucks run them. They can't be running any less tire speed, and 1500hp, not to mention they're placing way more stress on their axles than most trucks/tractors.

What's a shaved down 66" floater tire weigh compared to a 24.5" cut tire on aluminum rims?

---

Re: NFMS breakage February 20, 2018 02:52PM
So wouldn't that only work on a component style rear end?
A cast tractor has a welded on hub. If the axle breaks flush on the hub how do you attach the tether?

Re: NFMS breakage February 20, 2018 03:47PM
You'd need to build a hat that would attach to the rim, similar to a brake hat... although an external brake hat and rotor could be used to tether a wheel to a chassis as well. I think the external brake hats are probably the reason The Dirtslinger tire stayed on the mod a few years back and why Korth's wheel stayed in place when he broke this year. Henry Everman has a component tractor with internal brakes and when he lost his wheels in Gordyville it was a different story. A simple modification/addition to the external brakes might be all that is required for the rear of some tractors.

As was mentioned, Monster trucks have used tethers for years and they do some pretty crazy stuff with big tires and high wheel speeds... backflips, etc...

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: NFMS breakage February 20, 2018 11:22PM
After I thought about it awhile could build a weld on hub with the tether ring as part of it, wouldn't be to hard.
Jake your right most guys running brake hats already have built in tether sort of. I busted a hub on my JD and wheel never came off and was because of the brake hat.

Re: NFMS breakage February 21, 2018 12:08AM
I think in the case of components, the external planetaries help in this respect. Torque isn't multiplied until the hub itself. In most cases, an overload will blow the planets and carrier out without actually damaging the hub bearings and wheel mounting (or at least not enough to shear off the whole tire assembly). Parts fly, but the wheel and tire stay put because the hub and axle are separate from one another.

Tethers would be a good idea and not difficult to include with most of the fabricated rear wheels pullers are running these days. That addition would, in my mind, require a diagonal bar from the rollcage down to the bellhousing. It's only purpose would be to prevent a tire from snapping and twisting forward an impacting a driver's feet and lower legs.

CP

Re: NFMS breakage February 21, 2018 03:18AM
So what does a component chassis cost to build and ready to drop a motor in? Assuming you can use old sheet metal??

Re: NFMS breakage February 21, 2018 02:36PM
Thank you Stormy!!!! Finally a thought from someone who actually knows something about this subject. Everyone read and then re-read and try and comprehend what someone with actual chassis experience has to say. Sincerely an actual limited pro puller.

Re: NFMS breakage February 21, 2018 04:22AM
I don't know if going component is necessary in this class. Possibly requiring an aftermarket steel fabricated Trumpet housing that is both shorter and stronger, and aftermarket Non welded axle setup could be much safer. Yes its going to take some money, but it will protect your motor as well. Plus lighten the chassis a bit which is good as well. The rest of the rearend is sufficient for years to come, with aftermarket Transmissions and such in place.

BB

Re: NFMS breakage February 21, 2018 04:38PM
The idea of manufactured final drive housings came up at the PPL winter meetings. It was voted down due to pullers feeling like there was a weight advantage to some tractors. The argument for them was we can brace the original cast housings with one piece frames but as stormy talked about we can't prevent breakage on final drive housings I for one agree with Jake that component chassis are not good for the limited Pro class at this point I won't comment on the light Pro because I don't pull in that class . I do know that as limited pro approach 2,500 hp and 4000 ft lb of torque we may need to look at some chassis tweaks as Jake put it maybe allowing aftermarket final drive housings is one of those. I for one don't ever want to think about a wheel coming off and hurting someone in the crowd

Re: NFMS breakage February 22, 2018 02:10AM
An issue such as this should not be considered by the Pullers, this is a Safety issue of parts actually hurting or killing Spectators, it should come down from Mr O, and John Mears, and a build to date assigned. Build aftermarket steel fabricated Trumpet housings and aftermarket non welded axles that are shorter in length to were the Tractor would use no more offset out than a centered flange wheel ie....on a 26 wide wheel no more than 14" Back spacing putting the axle flange on wheel centerline. And the guys are lightening the Heck out of them now, so does factory weight really still play into this even as they are running now?

On a side note, there have been several Component Chassis, and Mods especially that have actually Twisted the Factory SQHD Housing ends, and Factory Franklin and Man spindles, so yes there is a bunch of Torque at this point. The heavier the Tractor and with a slower turning high Torque setup this is getting dangerous. So most of the Builders I know have made improvements for this, I know we have. On my Heavy Tractors Like Heavy Supers and Pros, I will not extend the Axle housing past the frame rail, and do a Bolt on Spindle setup with a Beefed up spindle. On Mods well that's a whole nother Level, much work you'll never see goes in that area.

BB

Re: NFMS breakage February 22, 2018 03:01AM
I couldn't agree more, this is NOT a voteable issue. That where the NTPA is the leader. Larry R knows what Should be voted on and what should be mandated.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: NFMS breakage February 22, 2018 06:44AM
If you want to run component chassis there's classes for that so go run them. I would like to actually hear who is running a light pro or limited that wants to go component. I have yet to hear someone that wants to have one.

Re: NFMS breakage February 22, 2018 11:46AM
I know many limited pro pullers and only a few light pro pullers and not one of them that I know WANT components.

Re: NFMS breakage February 22, 2018 02:58PM
There is already a component tractor class, it's called Prostock. Maybe it's time to put some rules in place to keep from having to go to that extent with the lights and limiteds. A g-trim exhaust wheel would be a good place to start on the light pros. I didn't build my light pro because I wanted a component chassis if it goes that way I'm out.

Re: NFMS breakage February 22, 2018 10:27PM
I overheard several Pro Stock Puller in favor of smaller turbos and injection pumps.There was 45 Pro Stocks Bowling Green this past year and probably another 45 setting @ home !! Just a thought= What if a group of Pro Stock pullers who want lower limits split the class with there new limits in place and pull regional type class. Then we will find out what happens from there ! Just a thought, don't kick me to hard. LOL

Re: NFMS breakage February 22, 2018 11:48PM
Haha well wouldn't that just be limited pro?

Re: NFMS breakage February 22, 2018 11:52PM
That's what i was thinking,its already happened.

Re: NFMS breakage February 23, 2018 11:46AM
Can't run component chassis and a sigma style pump in Limited Pro !!!

Re: NFMS breakage February 23, 2018 12:37PM
So now we want a component pro stock class with sigma pump but only limited by the charger? My head may explode haha

Re: NFMS breakage February 23, 2018 01:28AM
You guys are so against the super farm class, but when you add more horsepower you are worried about safety and whether or not to limit or beef up certain parts, i dont ever remember seeing a super farm lose a wheel or blow shrapnel into the stands have you? Just a different way to look at things.

Re: NFMS breakage February 22, 2018 03:19PM
Look at several of the tractors in this class they are old super and pro pullers who didn't want to go component! Hmmm???

Re: NFMS breakage February 25, 2018 05:41AM
just leave this lite pros as a cast rear end ; as the norm everyone wants more power; what i see is this class needs a great driver and you don't do this in one pull ; first you need to read the track for the hole shot . and watch other pullers before you ; a good welder helps on the hub issue look at the ones that come off welds are mostly bad thank you jake

Re: NFMS breakage February 26, 2018 11:43AM
There is alot more to welding on hubs than placing them on the axle and making a couple of chicken Sh!t passes.
I have no idea how the hub in question was welded nor do I know where it broke. But I have seen some pretty intersting
welds on some tractors. I am no welding expert but I did get an education by someone who was good opened my eyes alot.
Preheating the piece to be welded, selecting the right wire shielding gas or rods. Unless you take the axle OUT of the housing
it is very hard to get it heated and good penetration to obtain a good weld. People want to weld the hubs on with axles inplace.
They don't want to melt the seals so they make small cold welds to not heat it up. Or they are afraid to weld it alot in fear of it pulling and not being straight and true.
They are not getting the weld to base penetration they need. Its possible people need to learn to weld or let someone who knows do it.

Irregardless of what you say is better or not EVERYTHING wears out and breaks or there would not be junkyards to pile up the worn out broke stuff.

The attached picture is of a truck that had the frame for some reason or another welded together. Now there are thousands of trucks on the road with welded frames
either stretched or shortened. But done right they done end up like this one..........

Re: NFMS breakage February 26, 2018 11:09PM
well ain't that interesting, as for the lt pro at the farm show it broke the axle not the hub, the welded on hub was still in tact; I don't know enough about metal to know if welding the hub on weakened the axle but the axle is what broke and it wasn't a shotgunned axle.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,573, Posts: 229,599, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,057, Posts: 225,853.

Our newest member BadHabit2