Random thoughts about the NFMS pull February 20, 2018 12:58AM
I thought that the 50th anniversary was a great success. The tribute to the founding fathers of the event was well done, and Lee Greenwood's appearance was excellent.

With Don Masterson winning the PS class and Wayne Sullivan capturing the Mod title the fans where able to pay tribute to two of the true legends in the sport.

However the most exciting and inspirational moment had to be Jacob Fuqua winning the LSS. I'm not sure if I've seen a more emotional moment in the sport. It was that Hollywood ending that very seldom get written.

The announcing was a mixed bag. I thought that Butch did a wonderful job with his information about the tragedies that the Fuqua Family has suffered with the loss of Jay and the fire that destroyed one of their barn/shop buildings. That information helped to inform the crowd of the significance of Jacob's hook in the LSS class, well done. Dan Mayer was a great addition with not only a great voice but also his vast knowledge of the sport. I thought that Dave did a good job, however it's time for Dave to stop being the Outlaws announcer at the NFMS and start being a NFMS announcer. I don't hear any other announcer talking only about the organization that they represent. Even his interviewing process needs to be expanded to include other pullers, not just Outlaws pullers. If you only know Outlaw tractor then it's time to learn the other vehicles from around the country. I don't want this to sound like a "beat up Dave" article, however it's time to stop making excuses for the Outlaw pullers, I'm pretty sure that the SF, PS pullers are running turbos that are the same as all the rest of the competitors. And their TWD and LSS are as good as anybody in the country.

The overall sled settings where spot on and the performance of the smoke tube was flawless. And as always the track crew is one of the best, if not the best in the sport.

I don't see how the LSS can not get 2 hooks with a finals in the Saturday night show after their exciting Saturday afternoon session. .

I'm not sure that 4 PS classes is a win for the show. another 4.1 or Lt. PS I believe would give the fans a chance to see different pullers from around the country.

The numbers of quality DSS and Alcohol 650 class tractors needs to be addressed. The drop off in performance after you get past the top 6 in each class drops off significantly. It hurts the show to see the winner at 244 feet and the last 3 in the class at 180.

The NFMS official program was nothing short of amazing. I know that they are going to make it available thought their web site and I encourage everyone to take the opportunity to get the program. One hundred and sixty pages of history, photos and information, a great buy.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2018 01:11AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Random thoughts about the NFMS pull February 20, 2018 02:08AM
I may be a little biased but I also believe the LSS class was the best of the week. It is definitely time for a second session and a finals. Jacob taking the win was absolutely the best moment of the show, great family and well deserved win. Don and Wayne winning was also very cool.

I loved the addition of Dan Mayer, he was spot on with all his knowledge and knew when to speak and when not too. I also like Dave and Butch but I wish Dave would not talk so loud or that they would cut the volume down. It is worse that the 2wds. But maybe it is just our seats.

The DSS class is one of my favorite classes, but as much as I hate to say it they have not put on a good show in Louisville in a long time. I just dont think the numbers are there and it just hard for them to put on a good show on a short track. The OSS is another great class but the numbers are terrible. Where are all the PPL tractors? I wish there was some way to combine the DSS and OSS.

4 Pro stock classes is excessive. Take it back to 3. I am also not sure if there needs to be both light pro stock and limited pro stock. If going to have all that why not have limited light super.

Wheel tethers need to happen. About 2 feet away from someone getting killed Saturday and the 50th would have been the last.

just my .02

Re: Random thoughts about the NFMS pull February 20, 2018 02:39AM
I agree with the DSS.

What is tough with them is that you have a sled set to stop the 4500 hp tractors at 235. Then you have some 3500 hp tractors that run really good, just don't look the same on 240 ft track. And on that track if the first 75 ft isn't right even the 4000 hp tractors can end up really short.

Maybe an idea is switch their format with the LSS??? Run the DSS sat only and let them have a pulloff. Then LSS friday and sat night.

240 track is tough to make perfect across all the variety of classes, weights, and hp.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2018 02:43AM by AV.

Re: Random thoughts about the NFMS pull February 20, 2018 05:35AM
I have a random thought about Louisville as well. Why does a pull that generates somewhere around $2,500,000 in revenue only pay out $250,000 in prize money?

Re: Random thoughts about the NFMS pull February 20, 2018 06:43AM
Dick asked me to pass along ordering info for the 50th CTP program. Anyone interested in one can call 502-367-5144. They are $10 plus shipping and I haven't heard yet how they will ship, priority or first class.

I was honored to be asked to be a part of this project and humbled by the tremendous help I received from the CTP committtee, Ryan Bivens of the Ky Fair Board, the media and communications departments of the KEC, and every contributor to this extensive project. Thank you to all.

Now, go order one and tell'em I sent you! Thumbs Up

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Random thoughts about the NFMS pull February 20, 2018 07:05AM
I have a different feel about the announcers. I can hear Dave much easier than Butch or Dan. Actually I had a very difficult time hearing Dan.

Re: Random thoughts about the NFMS pull February 20, 2018 07:32AM
I guess maybe I have my outlaw glasses on, but I think some of you might have on your east of the Mississippi glasses too, No announcers is perfect, but Butch had to be corrected about what tractor was on the track multiple times, corrected on distances, and finishing order, and who was still left to pull. I think the good far outweighs the bad, and I think he does a great job, but it seems like you all like to nitpick on what you don't like about Dave, and just ignore the faults with Butch.

Re: Random thoughts about the NFMS pull February 20, 2018 10:46AM
Grubby, as you say how does a pull generate 2,500,000 and only pay out 250,000? You obviously have never put on a pull or an event. Obviously it's ran as a business and they have to make money, but that's just my .02.

Also as the announcer debate is on I think its time to move on from Butch he has been great for years but seems to be losing a little touch, Dave yes gets really excited about his outlaw pullers and is a very loud on the mic. The first night I was a little skeptical of Dan Meyers but by the end of NFMS I think he is very good, has a great voice to hear, keeps the pull interesting by knowledge and interviews. I think its time to get another new guy and take a step to better the future....maybe Miles or Tom Hartsell?

Re: Random thoughts about the NFMS pull February 22, 2018 04:11AM
Yes it's run as a business. One that only pays 10% for the product. It doesn't take 2.25 million to put on a tractor pull. No reason the purse can't be somewhere around a million for this pull except plain old greed.

Re: Random thoughts about the NFMS pull February 22, 2018 05:20AM
There's also no reason for them to raise it when they receive way, way more applications in every class than they can accept. Plus the best of the best are applying in each class. Until there's a shortage of good equipment they won't make any substantial increases.

Re: Random thoughts about the NFMS pull February 22, 2018 11:10AM
okay, but jay has pulled there for years and heck I can find him in less than 10 minutes on u tube, on this thing; with all the tech available your telling me know one could find any video to put on the screen.

Re: Random thoughts about the NFMS pull February 20, 2018 12:18PM
It may be the seats affecting announcers' quality/volume because We were nosebleed seats against the upper wall with our kids and the only announcer we could hear was cowboy Dave. And not very well at that.

Re: Random thoughts about the NFMS pull February 20, 2018 05:02PM
I watched every session from home this year and would like to say how much I appreciate the live stream as I wasn't able to make it this year. I thought the announcing was good especially with the addition of Dan. The guy knows his stuff. I feel a good announcer can really make the show better especially for those who don't follow it super close which I assume this venue has quite a few of casual fans. Maybe there more so for the farm show. An example of that was Dan going down by the sled asking about how blocks were in the box or asking about changes made when the skid had to be reset. And how he explained to the crowd if a puller was having trouble getting up to the line what they were trying to fix or if a puller was going into a pulloff what they were going to change if anything. Also the light super class was awesome capped off by the win that most everyone wanted to see. Credit to Butch for explaining to the crowd the Fuqua story which was another example of good announcing. I also thought the 4.1s put on a good show again. The announcers did an ok job explaining what that class is, but that's about it. Maybe the for limited pros and the light pros they find someone that's a little more familiar with the tractors and drivers to give a little more insight. With the addition of those classes to the farm show those guys are trying extra hard to win their respective division titles just to get a chance to maybe go to Louisville. I heard something like 60+ applications sent in with those classes. From top to bottom I think you have to look pretty hard to find many slouches. Then you have classes that are scratching to find 8 decent tractors. Good show though hopefully they can make next year even better.

Re: Random thoughts about the NFMS pull February 21, 2018 01:17AM
with all the older footage shown, they could have surely found a Jay Fuqua run from in the past to show when his son won or even during the class, with a win in the 12 back in 81 to pulling two tractors later on they could have shown one run for the crowd like the folks behind me who had no idea who they are.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,571, Posts: 229,597, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,057, Posts: 225,853.

Our newest member BadHabit2