Bad accident at fort June 02, 2018 02:28PM
Mini rod detonated and big chunk hit a fan
Pray for her does not look good

Re: Bad accident at fort June 03, 2018 07:56AM
Yes we will keep her in our prayers

Re: Bad accident at fort June 03, 2018 08:44AM
I just watched the video it looked like the driveshaft came loose I'm also praying for her

Re: Bad accident at fort June 03, 2018 10:30AM
Here is the video. Drive shaft and clutch separated.
[www.facebook.com]

Spectator supposedly has fractured Skull and large cut in head.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 03, 2018 10:43AM
It happened right in front of me but happened so fast you really couldn’t tell all I know is my boys and I almost sat where she was sitting
That was a 6” chunk of cast aluminum that had some machined edges on it with about a 2 in hole machined in it I would hope they would look a putting a tunnel over the driveshafts now scariest thing I’ve ever seen at a pull

Re: Bad accident at fort June 03, 2018 10:49AM
Ekauff you must have been sitting beside me close by and that piece probably went right over you

Re: Bad accident at fort June 03, 2018 11:06AM
I was two rows behind and a little to the left of the woman that was hit. Pretty scary situation all around.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 03, 2018 12:01PM
Just watched the full video of the class. What a joke!!! Sled operator could be held liable for injuries due to negligence and lack of ability to operate provided equipment. How many times should a high performance machine like that be asked to run? I can not imagine the stress and heat of that many passes that close together. Granted Shelton’s have some liability in this as they could drop and PPL should be ashamed of themselves. Everyone involved better pray to god the injured fan does not have a money grubbing attorney. Sad day in common sense and pulling.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 03, 2018 12:32PM
The sled was having mechanical issues that forced the restart of the class a few times. You can't put blame on anyone because the chance of what happened are slim to none. These are the risks that pullers and fans alike take when they attend these events. I hope that this lady understands that it was an accident and it could have happened to anyone. Prayers to her and her family for a full and speedy recovery.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: Bad accident at fort June 04, 2018 04:42AM
You can and should blame the builder, the sheltons, tech, and rulemakers, for lack of adequate shielding. There is no excuse.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 05, 2018 05:06AM
In response to "The sled was having mechanical issues that forced the restart of the class a few times." The sled as I recall, had an issue one time with the chains breaking after a very fast abrupt stop by the mini in front of it heading out of bounds and the puller breaking hard to not go out, then that in turn caused the chains of the box to break when the operator slammed his breaks to avoid hitting the mini rod. The class was put on hold and they ran the entire mod class which took over an hour and fifty minutes before the restart of the mini modified class. Which brings me to this comment... "Sled operator could be held liable for injuries due to negligence and lack of ability to operate provided equipment. How many times should a high performance machine like that be asked to run? I can not imagine the stress and heat of that many passes that close together."

The sled had one breakage, chains when the box suddenly has to stop to avoid injury to the vehicle in front of it or the person inside of that vehicle as with any sized sled. We have watched Mark Bingham run sleds for over 16 years. He is one of the best in the business and very well capable of being able to "operate provided equipment" Matter of fact in situations like these, I would prefer an Operator to be in fact Mark. That is just my two cents. Take it or leave it. RB

Re: Bad accident at fort June 06, 2018 01:54AM
Heard this morning she will have a 100% recovery just sore for a little while. She is home.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 06, 2018 04:34AM
That’s great news thanks for the update

Re: Bad accident at fort June 04, 2018 03:56AM
Really? It's the competitor who makes the decision to go down the track. It was a bad night for Mark. Every sled operator has them now and then. Sleds take a huge amount of abuse and a mini sled probably takes worse than most. After the sled breakage they should of went to floating finish for the night to keep to runs down on everyone.

Everyone needs to take this as a warning shot across the bow and need to step back and take look at what can be done to prevent this again.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 04, 2018 06:20AM
I'm not a puller, so I really don't know, but is this tied into the light weight of the mini rods overall? Is there a reason the class needs to be so light? I understand they are called mini rods, but would a couple hundred pounds really change anything in the class?

Re: Bad accident at fort June 06, 2018 05:21AM
The class used to be 1550lb in the 80s. Everytime the weight was increased for aka saftey everyone just figured out how to get more power out of it first. They went to 2050 to help keep the nose down and now they are back pushing the limits of the weight to fit planetary's in them. Until they have set limits in the class it will just keep increasing.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 07, 2018 12:33AM
Don't need more weight. The class has already evolved into a "point and punch" ride. For the most part, at the national levels, drivers are holding on. Sure, there are some wild rides, but not like there used to be. As technology increases, parts are more prone to breakage. It takes more and more between pass maintenance than ever before to keep these machines running. Used to be, check plugs, oil, and you were ready. Now, it is check plugs, oil, wheel lug nuts, clutch discs, brakes, throttle linkage, transmission gears, differential gears, and sharpen tires. It would be interesting to see what a forensic exam of "Splinter" turned up. "Stuff" breaks and you cannot prevent every mechanical failure from occurring--regardless of how hard you try. Thank goodness the injuries sustained, although serious, didn't result in something more catastrophic. I hope the fan recovers and is able to enjoy the sport in the future. JW

Re: Bad accident at fort June 07, 2018 04:12AM
Things also break when you cut corners to reduce weight. Will a couple hundred pounds alter the class in any real way? Would it help make the vehicles safer if they were a little heavier?

Re: Bad accident at fort June 07, 2018 06:15AM
every time weight is added for safety bigger engines,superchargers,tires are the result.back when it was 1550 and 1800 things were not flying apart,the show was better,and there were twice as many tractors.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 07, 2018 04:18PM
In my opinion and mine only with the 33 years I have spent in the class, no...weight will not make anything safer. As stated elsewhere, ore weight will only lead to more advancements in power and hooking to the ground better which will put more strain on parts which will lead to more breakage and the circle goes on and on. Most national vehicles are already at over 2500 gross horsepower and yes we used to run at 1550 pounds with blown motors. If it was the planetaries that failed, realize that this is newer technology in the mini class and hasn't really been tested that much. Again, everything has a limit and sometimes it is just a quirky, out of the ordinary failure and may not ever happen again. 2050 is the challenge in the mini class. To increase the weight is much like everybody gets a ribbon/trophy. JW

Re: Bad accident at fort June 07, 2018 07:04PM
And remember, the planetary rearends are lighter than the F106 rear - Plus they allow for a lighter chassis due to less torque being transferred to the chassis.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 08, 2018 12:33AM
Are you sure about that? I have been told that the planetary is equal or slightly heavier than the 106 here in the states. I haven't weighed one personally, just what Iu have been told by various builders. JW

Re: Bad accident at fort June 08, 2018 01:24AM
Talking to a lot of the European guys who changed from F106 to the Vreeman planetaries, that is what they told me - Not by big numbers, but definitely lighter.
That coupled with the possibility to run a lighter chassis is why they made the change at first. I believe that the fact that it was less prone to torque steer due to the higher RPMs in the driveline only showed up after that - Call it an additional benifit.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 08, 2018 04:01AM
Okay, then limit the power plant to what it currently is and then give them some more weight.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 08, 2018 12:50PM
what another limit you can't do that where is the innovation and openness, how dare you suggest a limit.ConfusedEye Rolling

Re: Bad accident at fort June 08, 2018 11:03PM
A while back when someone was looking for more weight ‘for safety’ someone suggested lowering the hitch. I’m starting to like that idea, then the only debate becomes do we lower it one or two inches. Keeps them from putting more power down while lessening the front weight requirement.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 04, 2018 06:18AM
Looks like NTPA has some changes in regards to this: http://www.ntpapull.com/news/new-mini-rod-rule-effective-immediately

Re: Bad accident at fort June 04, 2018 08:01AM
What difference does it make if it has a planetary rearend or not? Serious question

Re: Bad accident at fort June 04, 2018 08:13AM
The driveline speeds are 2-3 times faster for a tractor with a planetary rear than one without.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 04, 2018 10:26AM
I hadn't really thought about that but it would increase the speed of the drive line tremendously

Re: Bad accident at fort June 04, 2018 10:26AM
I think all types should have shielding. Better safe than sorry.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 04, 2018 12:56PM
Better shielding is needed between the driver and the drive line such as NTPA has just mandated. I would also not allow anyone to run a mini rod with their feet up along the side the block as well. I cant imagine what will happen if a rear rod kicks out and windows the block.....it's all in the name of safety...not trying to be critical of any team in particular.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 04, 2018 01:36PM
I think it's been a tremendous amount of luck that this issue and more haven't happened in all mod classes. A lot of open moving parts. All other classes require shielding everywhere.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 04, 2018 04:29PM
What open moving parts are you seeing on any mod tractors? We have all of the moving parts of our mod tractors covered with shields that are looked at by tech officials. We have block shields on our engines. We use more belt shields on our blower belts than NHRA. The entire driveline is completely enclosed in aluminum or steel shielding with a specific thickness and number of bolts holding it all together. Did something bad happen this past Saturday, sure but improvements are already being made in the rules. Most every safety rule on the books has someone's name on it as a result of an incident like the one Saturday. The tractors have improved and changed finding a weak point that is being addressed, pulling will be safer and we all pray that the lady that was injured as well as the young Ms Shelton heal completely.

S'no Farmer

Re: Bad accident at fort June 05, 2018 02:38AM
Its high performance motorsports if you dont think things can break then you need to stay home!!!! Watch your tv!!

Re: Bad accident at fort June 05, 2018 04:35AM
Every time I looked at a mini I thought to myself that is one brave individual to have the driveline go right between their legs especially at those RPMs.

I see the same with some of the FWD trucks...etc. I would rather sit off to one side with an extra deflection shield.

NTPA did the right thing with the immediate rule change. Hope there is a speedy recovery for all.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 05, 2018 07:46AM
Honestly, its a little past due, Remember sprint cars have the same type of driveline design as a mini-rod except one has a transmission, other is direct drive, still same principle; driveline between your legs.NUMEROUS sprint car drivers were hurt because of the driveline whipping when something broke, the torque tube rule was placed in effect about a year or two ago if I'm not mistaken? Pulling orgs. should have thought about it then before it happened in our sport. just my .02 cents worth.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 05, 2018 09:01AM
Torque tube/drive shaft shielding was/is already in place. If I understand correctly, the transmission housing was the failed part that escaped and caused injuries. The Mini class has the same drive line shielding rules as the mods/components. All moving drive line is fully enclosed 360 degrees by steel or aluminum. The transmission has not been considered a moving drive line component. If I read the new rule correctly, the transmission will be covered by steel or titanium to prevent parts from escaping.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 05, 2018 12:09PM
what idiot engineer figured the transmission wasn't under load,- jeez the power GOES THRU IT. "DUH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Bad accident at fort June 05, 2018 01:40PM
anyone know how the accident victim is doing?

Re: Bad accident at fort June 09, 2018 01:30AM
why no update info???????????

Re: Bad accident at fort June 12, 2018 11:49PM
Any update on the spectator who was injured?

Rich

Re: Bad accident at fort June 13, 2018 01:00AM
Bonestock posted above in earlier thread she was home and expected 100% recovery.

Re: Bad accident at fort June 13, 2018 01:41PM
Good to hear

Rich

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,613, Posts: 229,668, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,064, Posts: 225,889.

Our newest member JD_8520