Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 08, 2018 03:26AM
With more modern blocks only being offered in over-head cam and 4-valve head options, is it time to start allowing those set-ups in pulling???

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 08, 2018 04:02AM
I'm for any engine part the factory offers: ohc, 4v, commonrail, cooler, etc.
Except for, vintage/classic classes.

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 08, 2018 05:51AM
its amazing how 40 yrs ago in the ss class anything the factory made was legal,and aftermarket blocks were not legal..now factory parts are illegal and aftermarket blocks are legal...…..

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 08, 2018 06:02AM
Perfect statement by Patches

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 08, 2018 06:17AM
I agree its time

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 12, 2018 05:35AM
There are several newer blocks that could be utilized if the various tractor classes allowed OEM ohc and 4-valve heads. I’d like to see it happen.Thumbs Up

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 13, 2018 07:13AM
I do think it's time to allow both... but only in OEM versions. No need to move the cam from inside the block to outside the block... and no need for billet 4-valve heads. I think all the tractor classes that aren't antique/vintage should allow OEM versions.

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 13, 2018 01:53PM
Nearly every thing else is allowed today, so why not any four valve head? MACK

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 18, 2018 05:05PM
I agree, It is well overdue. They need to allow 4 valves, common rail, in-head cams, etc. in super stock diesel, prostock diesel, semi classes or wherever these updates may apply. With high pressure pumps from l'orange common rail and bosch MCRS systems, it is every bit possible. If not, NTPA needs to start a "open" diesel super stock class where completely custom/complete billet engines are allowed. Would change high end diesel pulling as we know it and would allow less failures and safer pulls. As for common rail, this would allow the operator to change tunes down the track with efi live. A tune that aids in turbo spool and even cold injection could be used at the line and then change for the initial pull and even be changed again for "lower" RPM torque and to keep the turbos lite at the end of the track. If desired, the tunes could be change automatically by RPM, Temp, or boost pressure sensors that trigger the change. Unlimited possibility!

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 19, 2018 12:04AM
Any contact info for these two fuel systems? Gonna need at least 25 gal per min flow.

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 19, 2018 01:56AM
The l'orange pump comes in 2 plunger or 4 plunger. The 4 plunger has a fuel output of 30 l/min at RATED RPM. From my research I found that this particular pump has a over fueling protection valve (protection for the other fuel system components) that could be modified so it can be pushed beyond rated RPM and have more fuel output. The Bosch MCRS CP9 pump has little current flow details available but it has to be something close to the l'orange. According to S&S diesel, the stock CP9 is good for over 3600 HP, but with no designation as on what size of diesel engine (see last picture in link). Both of these systems are capable of 2200 bar pressure (around 32,000 PSI). Multiple pumps are also possible with common rail, if necessary. Even a big one and a smaller one could be done. These are oil lubricated pumps that had a rated service life of 20,000+ hours at full rated pressure and flow. I do believe they can be pushed beyond there rated flow/RPM limits without issue.

Also consider the fact that when using common rail with correct tuning, 25 gallons per minute will not be required. With up to 2 to 3 injection events near TDC at high RPM and 3 to 5 at low RPM (if desired), the fuel usage can drop to make the same power if done correctly and the smoke can clear up considerably. A LOT of fuel is still required but it should be reduced from mechanical injection. I remember seeing a facebook video of a common rail super stock diesel 4X4 truck (can't for the life of me remember the name) that I thought was damn near an alcohol. It had some smoke when spooling the turbos but then went clear at full throttle, now that is good tuning. I believe it was around 3000 HP and made a damn good pass. Wish I saved the video because I can't even find the truck anymore but I am sure it is pulling somewhere.

As for contact info on these pumps...it is going to be harder to find info and units from l'orange, bosch should be fairly easy. The l'orange 4 plunger pump is used on the bigger MTU 4000 series engines so that is the best place to start. Let me know if you have any more questions of this stuff, would be glad to help!

[www.dieselworldmag.com]

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 19, 2018 02:56AM
Also, If desired, single element CP9 pumps could be purchased and could be installed in a custom billet housing where as many elements you want could be lined up or put in a "V" configuration. The stock CP9 is currently available up to 5 elements/plungers.

[www.bosch-mobility-solutions.com]

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 19, 2018 07:12AM
enginetech101 would you mind contacting me direct
Fred
724-689-5178 Cell
724-446-5802

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 20, 2018 04:49AM
We just engineered and manufactured a common rail setup for a customers pulling semi. We can easily supply the pumps, injectors and components.

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 20, 2018 12:00PM
Common rail pumps ain’t the hold up. Until someone starts to get a gosh darn handle on the dang injectors your about trying to push a rope. I don’t care how much injection pressure you run they can’t even sniff the mechanical flow rates.

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 20, 2018 12:51PM
Building common rail injectors to flow as well or better than mechanical is not an issue.

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 20, 2018 03:05PM
Making common rail injectors flow the same as mechanical and more reliably is not an issue when starting with the right injector.

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 21, 2018 02:51AM
Enginetech101
Making common rail injectors flow the same as mechanical and more reliably is not an issue when starting with the right injector.

Injectors are getting better, and starting with the right one helps, but. The first problem is the right ones are very large, so it takes a lot of room to package them. The second is the injection cycle is still slower, it is improved but still slower. The reasons are because we can only push so much volume through the injector, because of pintle stroke, and size. And it is not easily changed. So to get the same fuel as a mechanical we have to hold the injection cycle open longer. At high RPM the mechanical injectors operate as efficiently as the common rail injectors. At lower RPM and start up the electronics can have an advantage because of tuning ability. But low rpm is also the hardest on the engine. As we get better at the common rail injectors for high rpm they operate more like a mechanical, and we are getting hp and torque results that are similar to a mechanical. Yes with enough pumps we can get enough fuel. The pressure is not a huge factor vs volume. The pressure can be obtained. The volume thru the injector is much harder. (That why we are working on modifications to injectors to get the results that everyone is looking for.)

The future of common rail is definitely bright, and its proving it can be developed into a very competitive product in racing.

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 21, 2018 06:04AM
Anyone experimenting with dual injectors? If going in a billet head anyway set it up so it can run 2? Just a thought.

Re: Is it time for OEM OHC & 4-valve heads? June 21, 2018 08:32AM
Due to the size of the common rail injectors and the importance of a correct spray pattern, 2 would not be practical or even possible depending on the injector.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,576, Posts: 229,605, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,857.

Our newest member BadHabit2