Live Streaming and Pull Attendance June 12, 2018 10:06AM
I have missed going to the last two pulls with our organzation but was able to watch the pull start to finish via facebook and live streaming tv which I believe was $25. My question is when are the promoters(fair boards,race tracks,NFMS and such) going to stop having pulls due to falling attendance. As a puller and fan I can log on to facebook and watch pulling all weekend without leaving the house. Most of live streamers are fellow pullers and pulling photographers which makes no sense to me without butts in the seats there will be no place to pull or sell pictures. I know the hot saying right now is Lets Grow Pulling but why would people pay for a product when its available for free. Another big topic is always purses it seems with less people in the stands the purses will never increase so instead of giving away the product promoters provide. I have no idea how the live streaming tv works I assume promoter gets % of sales. Lets hear your opinions

Re: Live Streaming and Pull Attendance June 12, 2018 10:34AM
I just watch the free youtube videos a week later. Just another money grab by the industry and promoters IMO. If they would tie a percentage of the live stream income to the prize money I might give it a whirl, but we know that isn't going to happen.

Re: Live Streaming and Pull Attendance June 12, 2018 03:00PM
JUST A FAN
I have missed going to the last two pulls with our organzation but was able to watch the pull start to finish via facebook and live streaming tv which I believe was $25. My question is when are the promoters(fair boards,race tracks,NFMS and such) going to stop having pulls due to falling attendance. As a puller and fan I can log on to facebook and watch pulling all weekend without leaving the house. Most of live streamers are fellow pullers and pulling photographers which makes no sense to me without butts in the seats there will be no place to pull or sell pictures. I know the hot saying right now is Lets Grow Pulling but why would people pay for a product when its available for free. Another big topic is always purses it seems with less people in the stands the purses will never increase so instead of giving away the product promoters provide. I have no idea how the live streaming tv works I assume promoter gets % of sales. Lets hear your opinions

As someone who spends all night behind a camera every weekend, "Are you going to be live streaming?" is something that I hear quite often. The majority of the time, that question comes from people who are already at the event who are asking on behalf of someone who couldn't make it for whatever reason (work, health, etc). I don't think that the hole produced by live streaming in the leaking bucket of falling attendance is that large. There are other factors (that I believe are more of a burden for tractor pulling) that need to be taken care of first.

From my point-of-view, live streaming is another valuable marketing tool that can be used to help put those much-needed "butts in the seats." But perhaps instead of the live stream offering the entire show for free, maybe just a single class should be chosen in order to provide individuals who are on the fence a chance to see what they are missing at their local event.

But what do I know?

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Live Streaming and Pull Attendance June 12, 2018 04:18PM
Well said I agree with what you said I'm just worried when it cost 20-25k to have a big show the promoters need every ticket they can sell to make any money or even break even.

Re: Live Streaming and Pull Attendance June 13, 2018 03:46AM
With smartphones, you can't prevent free video getting out.
Promoters have to create unique experiences to get paying customers.

Re: Live Streaming and Pull Attendance June 13, 2018 05:08AM
A lot of good discussion here. Like John I spend a lot of time on the track and I get messages and requests to live stream all the time. I look at it from the perspective that if I have the privilege of standing on the track, I need to live stream in a manner that makes a fan want to come to the pull. So, if the crowd is a little thin on a Friday night I shoot limited stuff to showcase what you can come see in person on Saturday. If the stands are full, then shoot an entire class or more and that still can draw more fans in to see the action. Yes the opportunity for fans in the stands to live stream is there also but unless they are super-steady or use a stable tripod to video off of they're not hurting anyone. There's a difference in the video quality coming out of a camera like John's and an iphone.

As for attendance it seems that there's a converging set of circumstances that kill or cure a pull. It starts from the very moment that the date/time/classes are decided on and how even that initial information is doled out. Every sort of media is important; all forms of print, digital, billboards and displays in the town the pull is in, as well as tv and radio. Whatever you do make it clear and informative and fnd a balance between being informative and beating a dead horse over and over again. I cannot tell you how many times I've been scouting events to attend, having a plan A, B, C, and D in my pocket depending on the weather at each location. I run across message board announcements and flyers that simply tell me there's a tractor pull going on....yeah I know this weekend, but where? what time? They also have to be timely announcements. I write press releases for PPL, and I try to time them on the Wednesday or Thursday before the pull with a reasonable amount of information or links to more info (driving web traffic to the promoter's website/Facebook page). I feel like it's a happy medium to put stuff on the internet because I feel like a Monday/Tuesday release can get lost in the shuffle and of course a Friday morning presser is just plain ol' late. PPL Facebook info is set up by Jesse Post and they're timed for publication per his instructions. Timing, and a fan base that is increasingly narrow in their ability to focus hits the sport from all angles.

Focus...a huge issue. What are successful events doing to draw fans in? Once you have them at the track, how do you improve the fan experience and make them want to come back? Moreover, what other events are going on during the pull that can hamper a crowd? I see from my travels that well-established, well-run events with activities for everyone have no trouble with attendance. Events that have fought weather and other circumstances beyond their control get a mixed outcome. As I think about all this, this sport doesn't have a path to failure, you gotta look at much of what is going on as an opportunity for success. The first step to success at this point is for me to quit typing and let someone else discuss. I'll tag back in later with more thoughts.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Live Streaming and Pull Attendance June 13, 2018 10:38AM
I enjoy the live stream events. I pay the ticket price for a NTPA pull and sit at home or replay at my available time to watch it. I spent the $300 for the year to watch NTPA GN pulls. I save $$$$.
Example. I took the camper to Wilmington Friday to watch a brush pull and a PPL pull on Saturday. $29 a night at the campgrounds.
There was a rain out each night. Never went to fairgrounds but drive by at starting time. Quickly figured out no pull.
$120 in fuel I spent for the weekend. I had intended to take my 2 boys and little girl both nights plus myself. If the family goes with me there are 8 of us. That $300 spent on the live
streaming covers ticket price, fuel, lodging and food.
Last year I went to BG for the second time since 11. I stayed in a hotel and spent about $1000. I went without kids because of school.
Last time I took the Ford to a pull I went with 5 others. Wife 3 daughters and my mother. Me and a helper got in for free. The noys were at a football game. The others paid ticket price. It's a money thing for me. I can spent $300 to $500 a weekend or spend it one. I have my own food drink and bathroom. If i want to smell either and diesel I can start the Ford. If I want to smell Gas I can start the antique.
Took the antique out a few weeks ago spent $100 in fuel. $80 in entry fee. Nothing to get in the gate with 8 of us.

Re: Live Streaming and Pull Attendance June 15, 2018 03:28AM
I see the whole “live streaming” issue (whether it is paid or free) as a problem for the venue holding the event. There should be some type of kickback for the event/promoter as this service can and would put extra bucks towards actually holding the show. Especially if a venue/event has a bad weather prediction, it hurts gate sales but the event could recoup some of those lost sales through streaming sales which may increase due to the weather.

Re: Live Streaming and Pull Attendance June 16, 2018 01:15AM
I had done some LIVE Streaming in my tenure with PRN, I studied lots of analytics of the exact topic. If promoter or organization does it through some certain venues, they can take advantage of making a little revenue off of it. I agree with John and Bryan on not doing all of a show for free. Also in my studies, you are not going to have a loss in attendance from LIVE Streaming, many studies have been done even down to the companies covering Dirt Track Roundy Rounds and Drag Racing, if they are going to be there and can be there they do show up. But it can or does have possibility of bringing in New fans.

Eric Prewitt
The Prewitt Pulling Team
Public Relations for
The Pulling Radio Network

Re: Live Streaming and Pull Attendance June 18, 2018 12:38AM
The upside is if live streaming and video can attract additional sponsors as well as bring in additional fans, then it is a great compliment to the sport. These Services usually give you direct numbers in regards to number of views or viewers. I would just like to see promoters share a slice of the pie since they are fronting all the money to hold the event. Does anyone know if NTPA funnels any money back to promoters for any of the pulls that are live streamed? Or do these locations get discounted prices on the large video boards where many of these cameras are broadcasting from? Just something to think about. We all know that none of these funds are passed down to the competitors.

Re: Live Streaming and Pull Attendance June 18, 2018 01:06AM
I can only speak for myself. I am just a fan. For me live streaming will never replace going to the pull. I love going to tractor pulls and watching it at home is not the same. I do however very much enjoy watching video of the pulls I can't get to.

Just my 2 cents.

Jay Fleming

Re: Live Streaming and Pull Attendance June 18, 2018 11:41PM

"The upside is if live streaming and video can attract additional sponsors as well as bring in additional fans, then it is a great compliment to the sport. These Services usually give you direct numbers in regards to number of views or viewers."

Yup, more sponsors would mean more promotion. More promotion would mean a much wider reach. A much wider reach would mean more fans. Smiling

By the way, glad to be a part of this Pulling Forum, newbie here. I joined up in the hopes of learning more about the art of Pulling. Whenever I'm taking a break from this particular hobby and enthusiasm, I'm usually found at home, treating my Pomeranian to his dog treats and watching TV with my wife. Such a simple, yet, happy life. Cheers, everyone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2018 01:40AM by TravisDas.

Re: Live Streaming and Pull Attendance June 19, 2018 06:16AM
I think one thing that should be considered:
There are a lot of Pulling Fans "far away" that you'll NEVER get to pay a ticket, simply because of the distance.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,608, Posts: 229,662, Members: 3,324.
This forum: Topics: 37,062, Posts: 225,886.

Our newest member JD_8520