oliver waukesha head interchange June 13, 2018 09:05PM
does anyone know from experience if you can use heads from a 310 on a 283 oliver? how about going from indirect to direct injection style head? how do your determine which gasket to use? can you put a 283 head on a 310? i have a pretty good early 283 short block and a good 310 head that i would like to put together for a tractor with a large operator installed inspection window through the cam side of block.

Re: oliver waukesha head interchange June 14, 2018 02:17AM
Call Welter’s Farm Supply in Verona, Mo. (417)-498-6496. They should be able to help you out. A lady more than likely will answer the phone and trust me she knows more about old Oliver’s and molines than most men

Re: oliver waukesha head interchange June 14, 2018 11:32AM
Not sure that you can put direct injection head on indirect injection engine. They have two different head gaskets, I believe they made a 310 indirect and direct injection engine and 310 indirect was in 1800 tractors

Re: oliver waukesha head interchange June 15, 2018 04:19AM
If putting direct injection head on a indirect block the camshaft has to be for the head you use. Also check head bolt diameters. Pistons are different between indirect and direct injection also.

Re: oliver waukesha head interchange June 16, 2018 01:42PM
310 and 283 direct inject heads are the same heads. The same as the blocks 310 just has bigger stroke on crack. Everything from the two are innerchangeable. As for precup engines cam and pistons are different. And I would look into head bolts size and pattern not sure if they are same as newer direct inject head

Re: oliver waukesha head interchange June 20, 2018 03:43PM
The cam may have been the culprit. They were pretty notorious for breaking, even in stock applications.

Re: oliver waukesha head interchange June 19, 2018 09:39AM
so i pulled the head from the 310 engine with the big window in the block thinking it was good to use on the 283 which wheezes when cranking. last time i had the 283 head off there were some large cracks by the powercells.in the 310 the end of one of the powercells is broken off and crushed into top of piston. the head is gone off of one of those valve also and beaten into piston. i bought the tractor like this and only history i have is guy said he did a full rebuild on it. funny thing is rods are not broken and rotating assembly is intact. i think maybe the valve train jammed somehow and broke the cam which got shoved into the block to blow everything apart. anyone have a good 310 for a reasonable price?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,578, Posts: 229,609, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,859.

Our newest member BadHabit2