Low numbers in pulling? June 17, 2018 01:11PM
I was looking at the amount of vehicles at some pulls over the last couple of weeks and it seems like numbers are down quite a bit from previous years, what do you guys think the reason is and what it will take to turn the numbers around?

Re: Low numbers in pulling? June 17, 2018 03:40PM
That it's early in the season. The Midwest had a late spring and some are still finishing up with farming. Also, I know of several pullers who made many changes in the off season and are still finishing up before they will be out. Give it a couple weeks and I would expect numbers to be back up.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: Low numbers in pulling? June 18, 2018 03:51AM
Brent, I don't disagree, but if you're a fan in North Carolina or Minnesota and the advertised vehicles didn't show up, you would have a right to voice displeasure.

We all know there are circumstances that would prevent someone from being able to hook at an event, but I cannot blame a guy that drives 100 miles one way with a family of 4 ( and related expenses) expecting to see guys who signed a contract to be there for expressing his thoughts.

Low Numbers in Pulling? June 18, 2018 04:58AM
That is one problem with the pre-commit list. It advertises pullers who should be there, and when they don't show up it's disappointing to many fans hoping to see them there. That is why I like the PPL's way of doing it, having to pre-commit if you have any intentions of running for points. But even still when there are 15 pre-commited and only 10 show up, people will still be wondering why they aren't there.

Re: Low Numbers in Pulling? June 18, 2018 09:10AM
One can complain about low numbers, but it's usually only a few classes that are low, other classes there can be too many. If a pull last 3-4 hours that's fine with me. Might only be a handfull of mods or open ss but the 2 dozen twd's or 4x4 trucks make up for it. Combining the 2 organizations might sound like a good idea but the folks in one area of the country will have zero vehicles in a class they like to watch while the other pull going on there are too many and people will complain about that then too.

Re: Low numbers in pulling? June 18, 2018 05:11AM
These days you just have to go to any pull and be happy with what you get to see, I’ve been to enough pulls to not expect any particular competitor, there are just too many variables and it is just a hobby after all .

Re: Low numbers in pulling? June 18, 2018 05:15AM
I get that the crops got in late, but there aren't as many farmers pulling GN as people tend to think and most crops have been in for a couple weeks now. It seems like the NTPA is losing guys to PPL. Not saying one is better than the other, just making an observation.

It always about the money June 18, 2018 06:04AM
We can all try to blame it on late crops, earlier hooks than the old days or any any number of reasons, the truth lays somewhere in between. While I do agree that those things do play a part in precommitted pullers not showing up at events. The bigger problem is one that will not go away. The real problem is the sport at the national level and most of the state level is the sport is to darn expensive for most of the pullers. The way I see it is in all most every class of national pulling there are the 2 or 3 teams where money is no object, buy a championship and put the trophy on the shop wall and do it again next year. Then there are the 2 or 3 teams where the money is there but there are also business obligations that have (while should) that come first. Then there is the group where they have no business being in the sport at this level. They have sold ground, refinanced their home, farms and or bossiness to make the next hook. They have borrowed from grandma and grandpa, they have not put one dollar in their houses, they are addicted.

Is there a solution? No. There are no new pullers that are coming up to replace the pullers that will retire in the next 5 to 10 years. No new pullers that are willing to spend money they don't have to travel day and night to win $500. We have not farm system, the vehicles on the national circuit are to expensive to exotic to make certain calsses sustainable.

Make the purse bigger, never gonna happen.
Make new classes, we have to many now.

So then what? The answer is very simple combine the two major organizations. There is barely enough vehicles for one organization, let alone two. Will it happen, of course not. While they should think about at least making a peace treaty and stop scheduling the same classes on the same nights. Look at the last NTPA Open SS hook, 2 legitimate tractors, disgraceful !

Pulling better figure out soon that there may be two separate organization, but there is only one pool of fans and they deserve better.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: It always about the money June 18, 2018 09:30AM
Bingo Dick, exactly right I've been around pulling all my life and pulled for 2/3rds of it ( I'm only in my thirties ) and I have a pulling vehicle that's complete just sitting in the shed why you ask plain and simple can't afford it anymore on an average joe's budget for the return you get to place in the top 5 even, couple hundred bucks if your lucky so why even do it anymore to just keep throwing money away literally and that sucks to say because I love pulling but it is what it is I guess. I really think the sport of pulling on a national level or professional level is in big trouble numbers will diminish to nothing but a couple well to do guy's or gal's in each class and so will the fans eventually in time. Luckily local brush pulls or state groups etc. are doing well but still it's not good things have gotten way out of hand

Re: It always about the money June 18, 2018 10:21PM
It's gotten to the point where you have to own a GN Tractor or Truck to compete at the State Level and even some Brush Hooks !!! Not fun anymore when you go to a Truck or Tractor Pull and can't win enough money to put fuel in the tank to get home !!! I'm letting mine set in the Shed.

Re: It always about the money June 18, 2018 09:46AM
I will guarantee that some of the people complaining about low numbers are also the same ones complaining about long shows. Fans need to make up their minds cause as a puller its evident you cant make them happy. If you want more numbers then be prepared to sit your butt in the seat for 5-6hrs then the fans will be on complaining about show length. If you want more trucks and tractors then build yourself a tractor or truck about 100000 will get you a winning LLSS or LLP. Realize the very people your complaining about are the ones putting the show on for you. Fuel is 3.00 a gallon and Corn is 3.40 a bushel until things change get ready for lower numbers. Combining the organizations doesnt make any sense 60 Prostocks 80 2wds 100 Super Farms not to mention all the LPS,Lt Pros,4wd diesel. We have 3 national organizations and its working fine dont need to combine them.

Re: It always about the money June 18, 2018 10:20AM
Wait and see what the numbers are at tomah before you guys have a panic attack. Until then like do like my favorite qb said to do and thats relax.

Re: It always about the money June 19, 2018 01:55PM
Rock Valley will have great show with lots of vehicles and fans if they don’t we can talk then, it’s been a crazy late spring people are still trying to get tractors together and waiting on parts but I am sure tomah and Rock Valley will both have great shows

Re: It always about the money June 21, 2018 12:00PM
Dick is right it all about the money! Classes need rules and restrictions to keep the cost down and numbers up, but that didn't happen and now the guy with the biggest check book wins. Doug Roberts had the foresight to see that and made rules for that and got criticized but Outlaws had the numbers and put on great pulls. Now they basically threw out his rules to satisfy new sponsors wanting to sell parts and tires to pullers and just played right into the problem. Look now in two years Outlaws down to just over 30 events, lost lots of members and have low numbers at events. I agree with you that pulling is now down to two major associations and wish they would combine but not going to happen. Just like Indy and CART racing.

Re: It always about the money June 21, 2018 12:22PM
Really?

What rules have been thrown out?

And all the sponsors today were there with Robert's.

Not sure I understand the 2 yrs comment. Doug was in yet first part of 2017.

Hyperbole can be fun.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2018 12:31PM by AV.

Re: It always about the money June 22, 2018 12:00AM
Go ahead and blame Roberts for this decline. Obama blamed Bush for 8 years. Let's see 3 years from now when Outlaws down to 20 some hooks and fewer members and just a distance memory of what they were you can still be blaming Roberts!

Re: It always about the money June 28, 2018 12:42AM
I can name two sponsors that were there with Roberts. O'Reilly & Sapp Brothers. Don't see them listed anywhere on website.

Re: It always about the money June 21, 2018 01:10PM
If you were on the board or had the right information instead of just being an outlaw hater you would know that last year‘s schedule was put together by Mr. Roberts himself this years schedule actually has three new events and membership is virtually the same as last year with a few guys not participating in the points race because of the Grain market andbthe farming economy, Look around all organizations have lower numbers, so the outlaws has actually grown in one year I don’t think any other organization has done that, but as a fan I’m hoping all organization survive and make it through poor grain prices ,Pulling is a great sport a great family sport

Re: It always about the money June 22, 2018 12:06AM
Well Outlaw lover open your eyes and take the blinders off. Just 50 some hooks at Ravenna which was one of the Top 3 Outlaw events a couple years ago. Outlaws may have gained 3 little pulls but lost more than that including the Iowa State Fair. Just seen where one of those 3 got cancelled this week. Heard they lost 35 pullers last year and numbers worst this year. Dream On.

Re: It always about the money June 22, 2018 02:17AM
Don't let facts get in the way of your story. I know all the facts available. The rest is just noise from people with an axe to grind.

Ravenna dropped two classes and they had a great show.

Outlaws are just fine and just getting started. Memberships are really good. Great sponsors, great promoters, great pullers, and great payouts. Not going anywhere. Stop by and introduce yourself and I will be happy to buy your ticket. You can even call me if you have questions. #TeamOutlaw

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2018 02:34AM by AV.

Re: It always about the money June 22, 2018 02:56AM
What a bunch of BS you are spreading Vaske! Sugar coat it anyway you want, but facts don't lie, especially when the Outlaw website list events, number of hooks, classes, sponsors and everything is going backwards. It may be leadership, farm economy, rules, not sure why! Less and less of the good classes that Outlaws had at events that set them apart from other associations here in the Midwest. No big Mods at Revanna and only about 20 hooks for the year. Worst schedule I have ever seen and for you to think you are growing by added back an old Outlaw pull at Onawa that didn't work before with a bunch of classes that everyone else offers. If you think Outlaws is just getting started your crazy!

Re: It always about the money June 22, 2018 03:13AM
20 hooks? You can't read the website then.

Grind away. We are just fine and that pains some people.

Weird way to go through life. Best of luck to everyone this weekend.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Re: It always about the money June 27, 2018 11:19PM
Well I can read the website and mods only have 18 hooks. That's pitiful! Yet the Outlaw CEO & COO has their class booked way more this year after many events only had 2 or 3 show up last year. Now only 3 showed up athe first hook this year. This is what happens when the leaders pull, screw the fans and promoters so we can pull after we already seen lots of smoker classes at the same event. Bring the mod class back at some of these events and cancel the DSS. From a fans perspective!

Re: It always about the money June 22, 2018 09:59PM
Seen both pulls this year at Ravenna and Mound City and no comparison anymore. Outlaws use to have the pulls to watch but at Ravenna they had 7 classes with 55 hooks and last night at Mound City 105 hooks with 7 classes. Both two day hooks and no mods or uss at Ravenna this year. PPL should offer the Mod class this year as Outlaws cut them way back on hooks and for about a month they do not have any hooks. A lot, and I mean a lot of pullers that use to hook Outlaws were pulling in Mound City. I felt like I got my money's worth last night at Mound City. Can't say the same about Ravenna this year.

Re: It always about the money June 24, 2018 11:53PM
I agree that was a great pull at Mound City and a great fan turnout. You can sure see the tide turning as Outlaws use to be the pull to watch, but not anymore. If the Western Series would add the mods to their series that would be icing on the cake! Not sure why Outlaws not having them at more events this year, especially big two day events like Ravenna.

Re: It always about the money June 25, 2018 01:18AM
Heck of a great pull at Mound City and they had 10 mods there that put on a great class and a good mixture of everything in it. That pull had more in every class than Outlaws had in Ravenna when comparing the same classes plus the Light Supers.

Re: It always about the money June 25, 2018 03:57AM
Well if you are talking numbers to dollars....Tomah was the big fail this year.....Average of 75 hooks per session.....Friday at around 50 per......could have went to a Outlaw show in Iowa....(ate pucks and cold pizza LOL).....spent a lot less for the same amount of Iron.......then went south in Iowa.....went to a little bigger show with Outlaw.....(No pucks or cold pizza) and for a lot less money watch another show......For what Tomah charges at the gate and what you got to see......pretty sad.....Just saying

Re: It always about the money June 25, 2018 10:12AM
Looks like PPL is the association gaining numbers. The Midwest series is out doing Outlaws now. It will be interesting to see how Rock Valley, IA does. They were down 30 hooks last year over year before and the NTPA pull in Rockwell, IA is growing. They have went to 3 sessions and added 3 more classes this year of diesel trucks, Mini rods and Unlimited Mods to go along with the regular 4 engine mod class. They had 12 diesel supers last year and semis. I think that is where most people are going if they stay on the same night every year.

Re: It always about the money June 26, 2018 06:35AM
Ditto on that 12 DSS tractors at Rockwell last year. My favorite class and Manila only had 3 show up. I am headed to Rockwell, they will have a bunch of them and best in the country.

Re: It always about the money June 26, 2018 06:54AM
Maybe the CEO & COO didn't know their class was booked there. What a joke Outlaws is becoming!

Re: It always about the money June 26, 2018 07:06AM
Really!! and remind me again what class Roberts pulled in with his tractor the last year’s that he ran the outlaws, both Kurt and Adam were in Manila both of their tractors broke the day before as they were getting them ready otherwise they would’ve both been there along with two other ones that broke the day before also, but we would love to have you build a DSS tractor and come pull with us I’m sure Kurt and Adam would like the competition

Re: It always about the money June 26, 2018 07:19AM
Yea, let's blame Roberts for them not showing up and Outlaws going to pot! Not sure why his name was brought up but at least he was smart enough not to pull when he ran things. No controversy on what classes at events, class order at events, start classes over as he wasn't pulling! Outlaws sure missing his leadership is all I can say about it! Good day!

Re: It always about the money June 26, 2018 07:49AM
When I got involved with the outlaws Doug told me you better get some thick skin because there’s a lot of outlaw haters out there ,well he was right on both accounts but I do this because I love the sport of truck and tractor pulling, all of the outlaw promoters that we have had events at this year have been happy ,we’ve had better crowds than last year only slightly but good crowds, the outlaw pullers that I talk to in the pits are happy with everything , We have two big events coming up ,this weekend we will be in whiteright Texas for a great show and then we come to Rock Valley with 14 classes there will be huge crowds and some of the pullers that haven’t made it out yet because they are waiting on parts have told me me they’re going to make it to Rock Valley so we will have big numbers in all of the classes so if you’re wondering what to do either one of those weekends come out and watch for yourself and you will see a fast paced action-packed great show , I would be more than happy to talk to anyone about any concerns they have, my number is on the website ,the outlaws are doing great ,come out and watch the sport you love at any of our events and you won’t be disappointed

Re: It always about the money June 26, 2018 09:15AM
After reading all these post, can't say it is Outlaw haters, mostly different post just stating facts and opinions. Like the one post said numbers don't lie and people comparing one event to another or one association to another does not mean they are Outlaw haters. If anyone doesn't think Outlaws is going backwards that's their opinion. Same if they do. Either way in this day of social media and websites when Outlaw leadership gets on here and paints a different picture than what fans see first hand, websites show then you are going to get some controversy. My two cents worth!

Re: It always about the money June 26, 2018 10:54AM
Beat up on me all you want because as I’ve learned from Doug Roberts get thick skin, it’s sad that that has to happen, but I can take it ,but I will not sit back and let anybody bash our promoters our fans and our pullers all of which are doing a great job putting on great shows getting them over on time having good crowds and some of the best pulling Action anywhere outlaw family which includes my team outlaw board the outlaw pullers the outlaw promoters and the outlaw fans Is what makes the outlaws great , Come watch us sometime you won’t regret it

Re: It always about the money June 26, 2018 11:54AM
From an outsider fan of the sport looking in I have never seen anything like this. These post have been informative and complaints plus praise for different events and pulling groups. Nothing way out of line and Dick's post along with others was very informative. There been criticism of Tomah, Benson, Ravenna, Rock Valley, praise for some like Rockwell and Mound City, talk of racing in Kentucky compared to pulling. Then you have the leaders of Outlaws, Vaske & Van Beek on here 5 times stirring the pot along with Outlaw pullers and fans 1, 2 & 3 and you wonder why Outlaws get picked on. You don't see NTPA or PPL on here like that as they show a little class. For Outlaws sake you would think these two would stay off of here if they think it is detrimental to Outlaws and quit bring this post back to the top. Roberts may have told you to have thick skin but he sure didn't teach you much. I for one miss his post on here. They were informative, to the point and he always had facts to back them up and would have nipped this in the bud! Many a person learned stuff on here from his post. No telling what sponsor think when they see how some act on here. Not good for the sport!

Re: It always about the money June 27, 2018 02:49AM
Keep in mind that Roberts was always a good at creating rumors both good and bad as well. There is no telling how many post he would put on hear creating arguments that went against his own personal post just to create some sort of controversy that would allow him to write a long winded post of information that made him sound like the genius of tractor pulling. He was good at that stuff, he knew what sold viewer ratings and that it was a form of advertising that created interest in his pulling organization, which in turn meant more followers and more fans at their events. He may never admit that, but those that follow this board closely, know what I am speaking about. To me that was great marketing on his part to some degree.

How do you measure the state of an organization or this sport from the outside? Number of vehicles at an event? attendance in the stands? # of post on pulloff.com? Facebook? Television? What you hear in the pits at pull? (Because that is a great way to get the facts of everything). Then their is the comparisons to all the organizations. Well PPL has more hooks and now more competitors at their events then NTPA or OUTLAWS. That means they have everything going in the right direction,so that makes them the face of pulling, so we need to all jump on that ship or this sport is sunk. Spread the word fast or we are all doomed in pulling! Right? Low numbers have been a part of this sport for generations. Classes grow old and interest is lost, money gets tight, new classes come along or things change faster then anyone expects and all of sudden no one is in that class any longer and remember pullers have lives and life still happening, (weddings, funerals, graduations, vacations). This isn't NASCAR or NHRA. It's not a full time job for most. I know most will say it is, but at the end of the day most don't make enough on just pulling to support their lifestyle. No matter what, the people that build and drive these awesome machines have other things to do besides pulling sometimes. Pre-Commitment list are just a projected outlook for the the organizations to have some sort of idea of what to expect for the season ahead, it doesn't mean that because 10 tractors or trucks commit that all ten will be at all pulls. I know as a fan when you show up to a pull thinking that a certain vehicle might be there and that vehicle isn't there it's a disappointment. All kinds of reasons and circumstances can arise with regards to what can contribute to numbers in this sport.Those are just a few reasons for the pullers.

Fan attendance is another thing that contributes to the success or failures of the sport and from what I have seen early on it appears to be down at some of the regional events, but then you see the numbers from Tomah, Mound City and even earlier in the year in Louisville, KY and you think "WOW" this sport is really growing. From the fan point of view much like a puller the cost to enjoy this sport for the fan is going up, cost of lodging, fuel for travel and gate cost are rising because of the increase in cost on the promoters has to be passed on at some point. Not to mention people's time is in high demand as well. Lots of competition to getting dollars into the seats at a pulling venue. While still one of the cheapest sporting events around to attend, were still one of the most misunderstood as well. Meaning a lot of people that might be good fans for our sport don't understand what it is we do exactly. What are we doing to educate our potential fan base? How can we educate better?

# of Hooks: I have been in this sport a long time and I have seen events with as few as 12 hooks to as many as 130+ hooks. What does # of hooks actually mean? For some its everything and if you don't have them your failing to many people. I have seen events with less then 20 hooks put almost 3,000 people in the stands and events with 120 hooks that didn't put 300 people in the stands. We as a sport continue to promote hook counts as being our measuring stick for how good an event is, or how good a organization is or the state of our sport. I personally, was involved is starting an organization a few years back and I was told that we would fail, if we didn't have a good number of hooks. It caused me massive panic attacks at some of our events, but I soon learned very fast that hooks were only a small part of the total package. Hooks are a part of marketing in this sport that needs to be adjusted or have a better understanding given to it. If we continue as a sport to focus on hook counts at your events then to me your just limiting your vision. Did the Western Series have great hook counts at their events early on? Did they have classes that didn't have any at all show up for some of the classes at their events? Yes. If hook counts are what we measure ourselves by, then by all counts the Western Series shouldn't be where they are at today, because just a few short years ago OUTLAWS were dominating hook counts at all their pulls. So what has changed? Well, according to hook counts a lot right? Or maybe nothing at all, maybe just the fact that history can tell us a lot. early pulls for both puller and fans are tough in my mind. Lots of activities to compete with. May and June pulls have planting season to contend with, many families still have kids still in school until June these days, some may try and squeeze a family trip in before they decide to go watch pulling or bring their tractor out for the year. Pulling has lots of factors that contribute to our numbers in the stands and on the track.. The value that our product portrays in the weeks leading up to your event is so important. Promoting events in ways that connect with the masses is key and hard to our success in this sport. Hook counts can't be the focal point of an advertising campaign or organization. If it is then it will cause you unwarranted stress that isn't necessary. Its part, but only part. It can miss lead a fan about the sport and or an up-coming event. There are lots of great events across this sport that don't have the budget that allows for a mass amount of classes. They tend to go unnoticed because when fans are scanning schedules and looking on social media and the internet they read about the big events and the best events that everyone is going to and talking about. We are not in a world were just because the Outlaws are coming or PPL is coming this weekend to a town near you that will be instant success for the event. As cost go up expectations go up as well. People expect more and pullers expect more as well. Organizations are tasked with more and promoters are tasked with more to do in order to get pullers and fans to their events. You have to connect with your pullers and with your fan base. If you can do that your numbers will grow. For along time that connection for the pullers and fans with Outlaws was Doug Roberts and I know that for many it just isn't the same without him involved, but the world must move on and for the Outlaws theyare in transition and in their first full year of that transition. I think overall it's unfair to the sport and to that organization to make any judgements that are based on hook counts or event counts. It's not good for the sport and its not good for the promoters that still have events yet to come with them. There is plenty of vehicles to go around and more still being built that should debut later this year. So, counts will be good, may not be what some would like, but that doesn't mean that the event is not good or worth going to. They all need your support.. This sport needs all the support and positive promotion that it can get. We can't grow arguing about hook counts, class counts or number of events. We need to unify more than ever to support the sports growth. We are quick to criticize people and their decisions, but rarely do we praise. There are several great events that lie ahead for all the pulling organizations. If your a fan support as many of them as possible, if your a puller support as many events as possible. Let the organizations do what they do best! Promote this sport and make it grow! If you want change then do something about it. We don't grow unless you get involved!

Re: It always about the money June 27, 2018 03:58AM
What a long winded bunch of nothing. You basically lost me when you started out bashing Roberts and spreading more rumors we have heard for years. I never made it to the end. Everyone knows you and Roberts didn't see eye to eye and you left for PPL. Outlaws continued to grow after that, or maybe you think you are the reason PPL Western has passed up Outlaws now. Maybe you feel you can keep this post at the top now with all this hodwash!

Re: It always about the money June 27, 2018 04:50AM
I don't think that, nor did I ever leave because of anything related to Doug Roberts. We spoke many times and still do. Doug knew how to market, like it or not, I just put down what others know and never would say. Nothing against him, I even said in the post several times that he knew how to market and promote the sport in ways he may never want to admit. No one can argue that. You may not like what I said and that is fine, but my name is posted on it. I have no problem with it. Finally, I don't take any credit for anything in the Western Series, not the person that I am or ever tried to be. Klint and Brandon have done a tremendous amount in the last couple of years, in case you didn't notice. Glad that you did though! All I posted was an opinion. A little long? Ok, just a little, sorry to disappoint. lol

Re: It always about the money June 27, 2018 11:46AM
You would think the Outlaw powers to be would worry about their own website instead of this board. Here it is Wednesday and no results yet from this past weekend as everyone else has theirs posted. It use to be that Outlaws had theirs posted that night of pull as set the bar high. But now NTPA and PPL gets the job done. Maybe the results are so bad they don't want to post them? Who knows!

Re: It always about the money June 28, 2018 12:59AM
Get the app.....you get results right away

Re: It always about the money June 25, 2018 12:38PM
Mound City Mo. 15 bucks to get in, 2 dollar beer, 105 hooks nuf said.

Re: It always about the money June 26, 2018 08:00AM
You're smarter than I am. 24 bucks at the gate and $4 beers at Tomah. NTPA is done getting my money.

Grubby June 26, 2018 08:16AM
Grubby
You're smarter than I am. 24 bucks at the gate and $4 beers at Tomah. NTPA is done getting my money.

Go to Bowling Green. Lots of hooks and I believe you can bring beer as long as its not in glass bottles. Someone can correct that if the beer part isn't correct.

Re: It always about the money June 26, 2018 08:26AM
Grubby

Do you think they should let people in for free?
Oh yeah thats right, it doesn't cost any money to put a pull of that caliber on.
The sound system is free, port-o-potties don't cost anything to rent. The fuel in the scraper tractors, packers and graders just falls from the sky. The electricity for the lights is donated by the power company. All the other expenses incurred to put a pull like that on are donated.

Silly me.

Re: It always about the money June 26, 2018 09:39AM
Yeah, poor Tomah. Close to 1.5 million just in ticket sales. That's not counting merchandise sales, live streams, TV rights and their excessive cut of all the concessions. And then they give out that whopping $200,000 purse. Poor Tomah.

Re: It always about the money June 27, 2018 12:13PM
Grubby
Yeah, poor Tomah. Close to 1.5 million just in ticket sales. That's not counting merchandise sales, live streams, TV rights and their excessive cut of all the concessions. And then they give out that whopping $200,000 purse. Poor Tomah.

Please explain why it should be less to get in at a Super National Event? I think $24 is cheap compared to what it costs to see any other motorsports at their top events. There are county fair pulls that are 15-20 dollars for a state or regional event. As for the $4 beer, that money goes to the local clubs selling it. The amount of money that goes back into the community from this event is more than what people think.

I will say I wish they had a kids price to help more families attend the pull. Kids between 10-16 shouldn't cost the same as an adult. I dont disagree that the pullers should get paid more. There are plenty of things that Tomah could do a little better, but I have been attending the event since I can remember, I am 27 and grew up seeing the sport in the 90s and 00s as a kid. I like that they went to wristbands this year to help with the line at the gates and dont have to worry about the stamp coming off from,sweat.

Besides Thursday, this was by far one of the best shows I seen at Tomah in awhile. The fans got involved and excited when a vehicled went pass 330. Saturday night felt like your Tomah crowd of old. Sure, there is some things to work on, but I think they have made some great changes for the fan experience. I hope they continue to work on pits and helping the pullers out more in the years to come!

Re: Low numbers in pulling? June 18, 2018 12:12PM
I agree Dick but there is ways to make pulling more reasonable the associations don't seem to want to put rules into effect that would save pullers money. To not only be more competitive but to build.

Re: Low numbers in pulling? June 18, 2018 01:11PM
smuggler
I agree Dick but there is ways to make pulling more reasonable the associations don't seem to want to put rules into effect that would save pullers money. To not only be more competitive but to build.

Hey Smuggler, hope to see your tractor out this season. What types of rules related to building were you thinking of?

Re: Low numbers in pulling? June 18, 2018 02:24PM
Smugler you answered every bit of this from Antiques to Grand Nat But pullers only get mad with coments like that to much of dont hurt my buddies feallings and to much of thinking of self thats why we have so many failed and started over classes Now its time for someone to tell me how stupid i am sometimes im wrong but seldem

Re: Low numbers in pulling? June 18, 2018 04:23PM
What exactly do you consider an optimal amount of pullers in a class??......Remember a lot of places only pay down 10 spots...yeah pulling is expensive these days,but you also have to remember that not everyone can a have top notch tractor like they think they are entitled to. You have to pull within your budget and that's not always easy with living expenses what they are today.........you also have to remember that America's young generation virtually has no interest in tractor pulling......they don't want to spend the money nor do they want to work for it. I believe everything goes in cycles,right noe pulling interest is down and quite honestly this country isn't fully back to where it needs to be but give it time and i think pulling will take off again.

Re: Low numbers in pulling? June 19, 2018 07:36AM
I read comments here every day but very rarely post anything but here is my two cents worth. I come from a different motor sports background than pulling but can honestly say I have been attending pulls since I was about 5-6 years old so that it puts it close to 40 years (Not quite but close, lol) and my opinion is pulling has too many classes and not enough rules. I know I am about to get bombarded with hateful comments but please read and listen to what i have to say. My background is in mud racing and unfortunately that sport is dying a slow death and I don't think anything can bring it back at this point but there were several things that led to it's demise.

As competitors we can be our own worst enemy most times

#1. Too many classes and too many organizations. Here in KY in mud racing I can think of 5 different promoters with 5 different sets of rules with 5 different agendas. How many different sets of rules are there in pulling? In mud racing we have a street stock class, a pro street, hot stock,super stock and pro stock that are all very close in rules but every few years a new class is added because one truck gets to winning to much. As a casual spectator to pulling why do you need so many classes that essentially look, sound and put on the same show? Do you really need another 'I can't beat a _______(fill in blank) class'.

#2. I used to be dead set against it but have come to learn that the more black and white rules there are the overall less expensive it is to get into a class. Does everyone really need to upgrade turbos or tires every year. What good is it to make everyone spend another $10,000 on two tires when the sled is still going to stop everyone at 300 feet? Everyone complains that they need an edge but they need to do is learn to use what they have properly. The cream always rises to the top.

#3. The show. Most everyone forgets that without butts in the seats of the stands there is no more motor sports. We all need to remember that to do what we enjoy we have to put on a show for the fans. If they don't like what they are seeing they are not going to come back and buy a ticket again and guess what, when the fans don't come back the show stops. I have heard many times over that pulling needs more exposure. I agree and that sounds great but who are you planning on marketing this too. Is it the casual fan who will go to a few events a year or would like to occasionally watch it on TV? Or is it to the hardened pulling fan who eats, breathes and sleeps pulling. The person who can memorize what CFM each brand of turbo puts out or what the flow rate of each fuel pump is rated for? I can tell you which one has the greatest potential and it isn't the latter. The casual fan only sees a few different things and whether or not a tractor is a component or not is not one of them. The main thing they see if what color sheet metal is on it first.

Hopefully the pullers and promoters can come together before it is too late to make changes before all we have is a bunch of non-sanctioned local pulls.

Re: Low numbers in pulling? June 28, 2018 01:22AM
That pretty much sums up pulling these days.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,576, Posts: 229,605, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,857.

Our newest member BadHabit2