Helm pump steering July 12, 2018 01:36PM
What size helm pump and cylinders are people using? Looking for ideas.

Re: Helm pump steering July 13, 2018 04:02AM
You can call Pro bar if you want to use a helms pump system. He won’t tell you anything being he trying to sell you his system /parts. I chose to build my own and it works great. Going on 5th season an no problems, and never have had to bleed it from original build.
System is a closed loop, trapped oil, manual system. No pressure/supply pump required/used. I have been told a helm system has small reservoir. This system has no reservoir or needs a reservoir because of the balanced cylinder I used. The return side of steering cylinder is the same volume/displacement as the pressure side and displaces the same amount of oil going out of cylinder as coming in. Oil returning from cylinder acts not only as a reservoir but also a charge circuit to the inlet side of hand pump/Char-Lynn motor. Some will tell you it will not work which is BS. As stated, 5 years no problems, no bleeding since it was originally installed. Steers much easier than the rack and pinion it replaced. The key to making system work successfully is getting all air bled from the steering circuit. I developed a power bleed method to bleed system that took less than five minutes to bleed. Hydraulic parts used for WTW manual hydraulic steering system were purchased from Surplus Center. Balanced hydraulic cylinder is 2X8X1.25 DA Double Rod. 2"bore, 8" stroke, 1.25 diameter rod out both ends. Item number 9-6845[. Steering motor used for hand pump is 1.93 cubic inch displacement per revolution and is a Char-Lynn129-0004 Item number 9-1157. The rest of system was 1/4" hydraulic hose, fittings and fabrication. NOTE: If more cylinder travel is needed DA Double Rod cylinder is available in a 10" stroke. Hope this helps. DW

Re: Helm pump steering January 09, 2019 04:00AM
Will the 1.93 pump work on a 9700 lb tractor? Or would the 1.21 cu in pump be better?

Re: Helm pump steering February 17, 2021 01:30PM
DK, I can't answer your question without knowing the displacement / size of your steering cylinder?? Cylinder has to be a balanced dual action type with rod out each end. Or two alike cylinders the same size. DW

Re: Helm pump steering February 18, 2021 02:12AM
WTW, I got the 8" cylinder, part number 9-6845.

Re: Helm pump steering February 18, 2021 02:47AM
DK, If you use the smaller displacement motor the tractor would steer easier but, you will change steering ratio and be turning the steering wheel more revolutions to achieve same cylinder travel. For this reason I would recommend to use the 1.93 as steering wheel ratio is good. Steering effort will be relative to weight on front axle, front wheel placement from spindle center and if you have thrust bearings or not on spindles??

Re: Helm pump steering February 27, 2021 08:56AM
Why can't you use a single cylinder with an extend port and retract port?

Re: Helm pump steering February 27, 2021 09:34AM
The dummy rod end is there so the volume of oil in each side is the same so the steering speed and effort will be the same . Look at IH 66,86 and 88 series stock steering cylinders.

Re: Helm pump steering February 28, 2021 09:09AM
So if I have one like shown in the picture (on my front axle now), I can't use it? It has to be a double rod end like mentioned from surplus center or what an IH '66 uses??

Re: Helm pump steering March 01, 2021 03:32AM
If you want a trapped / manual steering system that does not require a hydraulic pump yes, you must use a balanced steering cylinder, meaning displacement is the same on both sides of cylinder. If you want to use the cylinder pictured, a hydraulic pump with a reservoir will be required but, steering ratio will be different from right to left. DW

Re: Helm pump steering March 01, 2021 05:18AM
WTW - do you have a number I can call you at?

In regards to your comments: yes it's a cylinder like shown, that is mounted to the front axle. The cylinder moves the (left) steering arm, that has a tie rod running across to the other steering arm - that way the left to right steer ratio is equal (they turn at the same time because of the tie rod).

My next question: doesn't the helm system have a small self contained reservoir built in? meaning it would work for this steering??

Appreciate all the knowledge on this!

Re: Helm pump steering March 01, 2021 08:44AM
Three 1 Nine 3 eight Nine 6 one 3 one

Re: Helm pump steering March 01, 2021 08:08AM
Would any 1.93 notor work? Theres 4 listed a Surplus Center.

Re: Helm pump steering January 12, 2019 03:44AM
What did you do to power bleed your system? Did you put a bleeder on both sides?

Re: Helm pump steering February 17, 2021 05:03AM
Thanks for the info DW. I am also interested in what you used for a power bleeder?

Re: Helm pump steering February 17, 2021 02:48PM
BI, Power bleeding the steering system is simple and fast but requires a hydraulic system on a farm / mule tractor. Two small male quick connect couplers tips are plumbed to each steering cylinder port at hose connections using tee fittings. Jumper hoses with mating female couplers are connected between steering cylinder, and mule tractor hydraulic control valve. Turn flow on mule tractor to as slow as you can, and flow oil through steering system. Steering wheel will motor / turn while pumping oil through circuit. Let it flow to flush air from circuit for 30 -60 seconds then brake rotation of steering wheel by holding your hand against rim of steering wheel. When breaking rotation of steering wheel pressure will increase on one side of system and cause steering cylinder to extend and bottom out. Then reverse flow direction on mule tractor control valve and repeat process. Steering wheel will now rotate in opposite direction let turn for 30-60 seconds to flush air, brake rotation of steering wheel, let steering cylinder completely extend and bottom out the opposite direction and system is bled. Remove jumper hoses and check operation. That simple. DW

Re: Helm pump steering February 21, 2021 08:03AM
What size fitting will screw into top of pump where you fill pump

Re: Helm pump steering February 21, 2021 08:30AM
It is a sea star brand

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,613, Posts: 229,668, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,064, Posts: 225,889.

Our newest member JD_8520