Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 24, 2018 08:47AM
Hello all. New to the site and tractor pulling sport. I have a chance to pick up a 67 or 68 Minneapolis Moline g900 diesel in pretty decent shape that runs well and was thinking of turning it into a pulling tractor. I still need to look into the classes for my area but I did notice a class that was limited to either 2500 rpm or 3000rpm and a single 3in turbo. Thats kinda what im looking into. I know this tractor doesnt have a turbo but I can fab one up to work for it.

Looking for thoughts, opinions and tips. I dont see to many MM out there pulling at least in my area so I figured it would be a unique project!

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 24, 2018 02:00PM
with a gas motor maybe but with a dsl your hunting for a long difficult road to make serious power without a transplant

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 24, 2018 03:25PM
ol George
with a gas motor maybe but with a dsl your hunting for a long difficult road to make serious power without a transplant

Any particular reason why you say that?

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 25, 2018 12:21AM
start with the indirect injection heads on the top end and then the 4 main bottom or if you use the 585 it has a 5 main. if you are really serious I would look into the 8.3 and go that route; if you just want to play in a farm stock class you can use the moline and watch all the other guys go past.

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 25, 2018 02:20AM
U have to convert to direct inj,u need cut inside heads out to flow air, mm pistons won't take it, been there ,Done it, lots custom built parts to get mm motor to take it. Oil system ,lack ability to survive ,pull in ,585 has lots potential,if u got big check book, we now are running 8.3 , an expense is so much less,now we be coming competitive,, jus my opinion ..

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 24, 2018 10:01PM
I believe there is someone now making adapter plates to put 8.3 cummins engines in MMs. That would be a great advantage over the original 4 main MM diesel.

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 25, 2018 12:55AM
I've farmed with G-900 MM's so know them well..If you've found a nice one please leave it that way...A 451 MM diesel won't make close to half enough horsepower to be competitive in todays pulling world...Parts for them are getting hard to come by....I've seen pullers try 504's and not have much luck..A 585 diesel is a better engine to start with and some of them run pretty good.....The serious MM pullers are on gas or alky...

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 25, 2018 01:44PM
I guess I will have to do more research into the classes and requirements. I dont have the financial means to travel the country competing, but more of the counties around me or the state. Was trying to do classes with more of a stock looking tractor with a beefed up engine. Im not apposed to running gasoline over a diesel but just figured the diesel would be a better option. I looked back at a local fair to see what classes they were running and I saw a farm stock plus class which looked to be what i was thinking of but the limited class would be nice to.

Is the 8.3 cummins what most of the pullers run? I thought that they were running the oem engine (john deere, international, allis chalmers....) and just modified it to the needs of the class.

Also whats the benefit of running the gas or alcohol over the diesel?

Thanks for the inputs and advice!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2018 02:00PM by talldude42.

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 25, 2018 04:51PM
i also saw a "hot farm" class but didnt see it in the michigan tractor pullers info. I think in the area of those classes is what Im looking at doing.

That in mind the general consensus is the MM is not a very good choice??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2018 08:01PM by talldude42.

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 25, 2018 11:26PM
The MTPA hot farm is SF without rollcages. Is the MM in question the one on Ridge east of Armada? Around here, the TTPA 10F class will be a ton of fun for you. Find a IH766, Ford 8/89/9/96, JD4320, Case 930 and have a ball. The guys in the class are fun and really supportive of each other and there are enough hooks in and out of sanction to fill the calendar up. An MM will be over-cubed in that class anyhow and doing it up for bigger will be frustrating and horrendously expensive.

CP

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 25, 2018 11:59PM
If this is the same class that we watched st the pull in Michigan, it looks like a fun class, we came from out of state an had a great time, we will be back next year, we were treated excellent !!!!

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 26, 2018 06:55AM
a

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2018 08:35AM by talldude42.

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 26, 2018 08:37AM
cpr
The MTPA hot farm is SF without rollcages. Is the MM in question the one on Ridge east of Armada? Around here, the TTPA 10F class will be a ton of fun for you. Find a IH766, Ford 8/89/9/96, JD4320, Case 930 and have a ball. The guys in the class are fun and really supportive of each other and there are enough hooks in and out of sanction to fill the calendar up. An MM will be over-cubed in that class anyhow and doing it up for bigger will be frustrating and horrendously expensive.

CP

Yes that would be the MM I was looking at purchasing. I work in the area and Ive seen it for sale for years plus i know the guy selling it. Thanks for the info and advice. sounds like that is the class I need to look into to get started

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 26, 2018 12:26AM
the 930 case has the same problems in the head design as the mm, the MM is fine except in the motor, it just wasn't design for big dsl performance and the case is made the same in the injection. That being said an upgrade to a newer case engine and I wouldn't run from anyone; using a lp or gas MM and I would love to work my way in a farm class.

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 26, 2018 01:44AM
I've thought for yrs a lp or has motor would be a very competitive tractor,but when ya get it running good you'll be told to not bring it back.been that way for 40 yrs in pulling,the only motorsport where the stock field isnt legal,just saying

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 26, 2018 02:18AM
Fools Gold runs good in Ohio, pretty sure its a Gas or LP motor.

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 26, 2018 03:45AM
it runs,just about every hook,but not even remotely close to the ohio pro stocks

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 26, 2018 04:28AM
Yea your right,it really needs to be in the super farm class, but for what it is it runs good.

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 26, 2018 08:40AM
patches
I've thought for yrs a lp or has motor would be a very competitive tractor,but when ya get it running good you'll be told to not bring it back.been that way for 40 yrs in pulling,the only motorsport where the stock field isnt legal,just saying

Why would you be told not to bring it back?

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 26, 2018 02:09PM
If done properly a diesel would have a hard time maki g the same power...you have 1,they have hundreds,you'll have to go

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 26, 2018 04:49AM
talldude42
i also saw a "hot farm" class but didnt see it in the michigan tractor pullers info. I think in the area of those classes is what Im looking at doing.

I love MM's,but no the G-900 MM is not a good choice.....Read what Minni-mo-man said about MM diesels.....On a 451 or 504 MM you will spend twice as much as anyone else and will end up with half the horsepower and no reliability....You will be amazed at how much horsepower it takes just to win at the local county fair pull.....Pick an association and a class that you want to pull in.....Go visit with the guys that pull that class to see what its going to take to be competitive....Dont just blindly jump in..I honestly don't know of anyone that has built a 451 MM diesel..

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 26, 2018 08:39AM
MM Fan

I love MM's,but no the G-900 MM is not a good choice.....Read what Minni-mo-man said about MM diesels.....On a 451 or 504 MM you will spend twice as much as anyone else and will end up with half the horsepower and no reliability....You will be amazed at how much horsepower it takes just to win at the local county fair pull.....Pick an association and a class that you want to pull in.....Go visit with the guys that pull that class to see what its going to take to be competitive....Dont just blindly jump in..I honestly don't know of anyone that has built a 451 MM diesel..

Ok. I will do more research and shopping around then.

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 26, 2018 09:16AM
As for the mm if you don't want to go that route I wonder what it would take to put it back in the field not really hard work but some work. could you post a pic or maybe even the price, I don't want to make a puller just another restoration I will never get finished.

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 26, 2018 01:25PM
I will grab a few pics and the info that I have and post them up tomorrow. It started right up for me when I test drove it. Smooth idle form what I could tell, no leaks that I could be and 3pt lifted and lowered as it should. It did cross my mind to do a restore on it to but If it isnt something I could use in the way I would like I dont have the room or money to spend on it. But I would love top see someone fix it up and put it to use again! Didnt look like the sheet metal was in bad shape just some surface rust and faded paint.

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 26, 2018 01:39PM
Old George that will go good with the other 50 tractors you have setting around i bet you have one some were

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project September 26, 2018 03:35PM
don't have a complete mm still have a rear and a motor and some sheetmetal but no completes, would be a nice project to add to the list, like the guy with the roll back truck said the other day when he picked up one I sold "you are one of the greatest non finishers" I guess he has a point.

Re: Minneapolis Moline G900 Pulling Project October 02, 2018 01:57PM
Sell the running tractor or keep it together.
Start with an Oliver Rear, all gear ratios are available without custom gears, get a tube frame with an 8.9 roller block, or 8.3 will be fine if lower hp. Check with your pulling organization on cubic inches, intake and exhaust manifolds, etc. Custom tin work, etc... You can still call it MM G900 with all the crossovers

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,613, Posts: 229,668, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,064, Posts: 225,889.

Our newest member JD_8520