Component tractors December 14, 2018 02:04AM
Who had the first component tractor and what year was it.

Re: Component tractors December 14, 2018 10:00AM
Smart alec answer, the tractors from the 20's built with a Model T drivetrain. Sears Roebuck even built a kit, my MIL has one in her yard as a decoration. Pulling tractors, don't know.

Re: Component tractors December 14, 2018 10:09AM
The first component super built was the silver bullet with the big bad 3208 cat!! It was a SQHD truck rear that had was boxed to look like a tractor rear end housing, the planitaries were easy to hide sense they came from the factory with them. It was never caught and gained many national point titles. This chassis sets in a shop in New York State. I heard it may even come back out and run again someday.

Re: Component tractors was Mark Hootman December 14, 2018 10:35AM
The first component tractor that was certified by the NTPA was Mark Hootman from Pike Ny. I know this question has been asked several times before. I know Jake has the date of the build and model of the tractor.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Component tractors December 14, 2018 10:40AM
The first true 100% component Super Stock tractor was Mark Hootman. The Conner Bros and Doug Roberts were true innovators that helped usher in the component era and truely pushed the limits with an OEM rearend housing. Mark was the first on the track with a component Super Stock in the Spring of 1997. Here's a link to a previous discussion on this topic:
[www.pulloff.com]

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Component tractors December 14, 2018 12:54PM
Wasnt mark cliftons constant aggrevation pretty close to being the first true component also

Re: Component tractors December 15, 2018 01:47AM
Great posts Jake! I remember seeing all this now. Didn’t Doug post a letter on her to NTPA while components were needed and why he built that last tractor the way he did.

Re: Component tractors December 15, 2018 03:06AM
If you click on the link I posted above and scroll all the way to the top of the thread you'll find Doug's original post that started the conversation. In that post he has some attached documents regarding the letter he sent to the NTPA and the response he got. It's a very interesting read and it shows all the things that Doug went through to push an OEM John Deere chassis to it's absolute limits. I personally feel that the component chassis rule was a direct result of Doug's variance request. If you've ever worked on an OEM chassis as well as a component chassis you should give Doug a thank you because it's much nicer to work on the latter. Thanks Doug.

If memory serves me Marc Clifton was the first component tractor that Tim Engler built. I believe that he debuted the tractor two or three years after the rule change. If you go to www.pulling-reference.com Marc's first full season running for National points was 2000 on the ATPA circuit. I think he made a few hooks with it the previous year. He was definitely one of the earlier ones.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Component tractors December 15, 2018 04:41PM
constant aggravation was built around 97 or 98ish I think.

Re: Component tractors December 15, 2018 11:26PM
Jake how did hootman have the first component? The bullet won a grandnational point title in 1995 with a component chassis with a fabricated rear end housing that looked like a tractor housing. It doesn’t matter if the fabricated housing was in the shape of a tractor housing to trick the tech guys or a ace or full pull style fabricated housing. It’s still a duplicate of a SQHD rear. Sorry but it was definitely not hootman even though he used a factor SQHD. The bullet also ran a fuller 903 in a tin box.

Re: Component tractors December 15, 2018 11:39PM
The bullet was originally called bad medicine, bad habit or something like that. I think the Conner brothers owned it originally not exactly positive of the owner but, u can watch on those old videos on YouTube.

Re: Component tractors December 16, 2018 03:42AM
The bullet and bad medicine were completely different tractors. Conners rearend out of the bad medicine still pulls today in the “bad kitty 3” pro stock tractor from New Brunswick Canada, Owned by Kevin Taylor

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2018 03:43AM by 8030acpuller.

Re: Component tractors December 16, 2018 07:25AM
Sorry but bad medicine is hanging in bullets shop. Bad Kitty 3 is a sqhd rear end full componet rear. Bad kitty 2 was a duplicate of conners build. So was bullets ride.

Re: Component tractors December 16, 2018 09:12AM
I can assure you #3 is not a full component, it has a big ag rear still. I’m 95% positive it’s the bad medicine rear with the truck ring and pinion inside it. I have helped work on this tractor for years.
#2 is sitting in his shop still also with new frame rails and the original 180 rear end, hopefully be out again someday soon

Re: Component tractors December 16, 2018 10:16AM
Silver
Jake how did hootman have the first component? The bullet won a grandnational point title in 1995 with a component chassis with a fabricated rear end housing that looked like a tractor housing. It doesn’t matter if the fabricated housing was in the shape of a tractor housing to trick the tech guys or a ace or full pull style fabricated housing. It’s still a duplicate of a SQHD rear. Sorry but it was definitely not hootman even though he used a factor SQHD. The bullet also ran a fuller 903 in a tin box.
First, component tractors weren't legal in 1995, and it would not have made it though 1995, 1996, and 1997 without a tech official or a fellow competitor noticing that the cast iron rearend was as smooth as a piece of plate steel. Three seasons and nobody noticed... yeah, I don't think so. The Bad Medicine/Silver Bullet 1.0 had a cast White/Oliver housing with truck internals. They didn't eventually build a component rearend in 98 or 99 for the 99 season and they did box it in like you mentioned but that was Silver Bullet version 2.0. They did a great job with the fabrication on that by the way, I was really impressed with the level of detail they put into making it look like a tractor rearend, but you could clearly tell it was fabricated and wasn't cast iron.

Second, the assertion your making about the Bullet is actually saying that the Lustiks cheated for three years on the National Circuit. That's a pretty hefty accusation to level against someone without any facts or way to verify. If you have some verification and photos please share them with us (along with your contact info so you don't violate our website rules/guidelines), but without verification please refrain from calling someone a cheater.

Dennis Johnson's Shagnasty tractor was the second true component tractor to ever hit the track and that happened in early August (A couple of months after Mark Hootman hit the track) of 1998. I remember talking with Brian Conner at the back of Dennis Johnson hauler that year in Bowling Green and that was their second or third hook on it and the other two previously hooks were earlier that same week. In the early years of Shagnasty that thing was untouchable when it ran and stayed together.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Component tractors December 16, 2018 11:35AM
I never implied lustick was cheating and wasn't even a thought. I just remember seeing it hanging upside down from the ceiling in his showroom and them telling me about the tractor.

Re: Component tractors December 16, 2018 01:30PM
That was with the rearend they put in in 1999. Again, they did an awesome job making it look as stock as possible, but you could clearly see that it was fabricated. I remember talking with Jordan about it that year and I thought it was a pretty cool idea to make it still look like a tractor from all angles. With component tractors being so new at the time and the fans mixed opinions on them it was a pretty cool idea by Rich and Jordan to give it more of a tractor appearance.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,573, Posts: 229,599, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,057, Posts: 225,853.

Our newest member BadHabit2