Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 16, 2019 04:12PM
Dave needs to go. So much mis information, pushing his own agenda. And disrespectful!!!

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 16, 2019 05:29PM
First time there. Thought Dave was great. Dan will be a good addition with the retirement of butch. Love butch but was hard to hear.

Need to back the 2WD in with the telehandler. I get that they need to warm up but do they need to drive all the way to the 180’ mark to get backed in? Seriously? Slows the show way down.

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 06:21AM
I personally like Dave. As fast a him critiquing every pass I don’t get what is wrong with it there is always something you would change. I also think you have to remember there are a lot of casual fans there. Those people most likely don’t follow the sport like those of us on here and like an explanation of what happened during the run. Just my thoughts

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 02:56PM
NFMS Fan

Need to back the 2WD in with the telehandler. I get that they need to warm up but do they need to drive all the way to the 180’ mark to get backed in? Seriously? Slows the show way down.

Would ya give the 2WD class a break please??!!!!!

We lost a good family man, board member and competitor this past week on his way to the NFMS to pull there in that class. Did you ever think about what his family and friends might be going through now?

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 18, 2019 02:32PM
Clark

We lost a good family man, board member and competitor this past week on his way to the NFMS to pull there in that class. Did you ever think about what his family and friends might be going through now?
His quote was about the show and I agree with him 100%, the trucks don't need to drive out to the sled. Having ALL the trucks drive out to the sled has absolutely nothing to do with the extremely tragic passing of John Mumma.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 18, 2019 02:51PM
Jake Morgan

His quote was about the show and I agree with him 100%, the trucks don't need to drive out to the sled. Having ALL the trucks drive out to the sled has absolutely nothing to do with the extremely tragic passing of John Mumma.

And Jake, that is YOUR problem that you agree with him. Let go of it this year, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 18, 2019 03:26PM
I know there are a ton of people hurting right now, but I want to be completely clear, talking about the event logistics is 100% different than talking about specific teams in the class or specific runs. Separating show production from the other circumstances is extremely important in this discussion.

We can (and should) comment about how the class is staged, or how any other class is staged if it can be improved upon. It has nothing to do with the actual class itself, it has to do with show logistics and production. It's no different that discussing the sound levels or the fumes in the arena (both of which were also issues this year). The telehandler staging the trucks is about the running of the show and how to improve that, not about the 2wd class specifically, they just happen to be the ones that were staged that way.

Again, what happened this year is truly tragic, but that doen't mean that talking about show improvements is off limits.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 18, 2019 04:20PM
Jake Morgan
I know there are a ton of people hurting right now,

That's about the most sensible thing you have said yet.

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 19, 2019 03:12AM
I'm not sure that using the telahandler to place the trucks would save much in the way of time. All of the Mods and 2WD have to have a support vehicle that would need to be brought out after the truck or mod was in place but also gotten out of the way after starting. It would help greatly with the fumes in the building though.

As a mod puller myself I was wondering if some of the guys were Xtra slow about getting backed up to the sled to try and get some heat into their engines. From the time of warm ups to the time that they hook is too long in most cases. If you have the kind of money in engines as these guys do its a very real danger of hurting parts on a cold engine. My oil presure will drop quite a bit as the engine warms up meaning when the oil is cold it isn't circulating enough. Having said that I think most guys at this level use oil heaters to keep the oil from cooling down, I know I'm going that direction this year.

S'no Farmer

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 16, 2019 06:38PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion,but I have to completely disagree. I think Dave and Dan both get better every year. They had the volume set perfectly this year. Didn’t pickup up on Dave having a agenda of course he’s going to know more about the outlaw guys, but Butch’s knowledge of the east of the river guys and Dans knowledge of the east coasters sets a balance. Everyone makes a mistake once in awhile but nothing intentional that I could see. Wonder who will get Butch’s spot maybe Miles? As far as I’m concerned the horse is under the ground

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 16, 2019 07:49PM
Dave needs to stop critiquing pullers runs on the big screen. Very disrespectful, these are the best of the best and they don't need to be ripped in front of the crowd. But the height was critiquing Jeremy Nelson Ron in his father-in-law John Mumma's truck. So poorly done, there are times when you don't have to be Mr. Know It All.

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 12:03AM
Amen
No matter how perfect the run he criticized it

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 02:03AM
Here we go again
I will say there’s nothing wrong with the play by play and Dave has a loud clear voice that can be understood by everyone
But what he did after John Mumma’s truck ran was down right rude and he criticized every WINNING pass by asking them what they would have done different Lustick and Beck are good examples that’s just ignorant maybe he should have ran out there and ask Blackburne would he’d done anything differently
As far as athletes not minding criticism did you ever see some reporter ask a football player who just caught a game winning touchdown for the super bowl if he would have done anything different how about a game winning 3 pointer for the national championship or a home run to win the World Series NOPE!!!
Think about it?
I’m gonna get my no good but to church now so hammer away

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 12:28AM
We must've been watching a completely different pull, Dave did awesome! Dan was great. Butch is the one who gave out the most wrong information, stuttered, and rambled. Fans like to hear what they think happened on each run. It is just like a play by play in football. You don't hear those football players whining because the announcer said he shouldve done this or that.

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 01:45AM
I couldn't agree more. A good announcer should be educating the fans on the nuances of the sport. Just because some people there "know it all" doesn't mean everyone does. The best customer is an educated one.

CP

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 07:24AM
Some of you people are just cruel. Dave has given lots of his time and life to support the sport of truck and tractor pulling. He has seen so much change in the sport. He does a great job calling a pull. And explaining to the crowd what's going on. Until you pass judgement try work a pull once.

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 01:07AM
This would be a good opportunity to replace the outlaw announcer with both of Butch's boys,...…………...their hearts would be in it no doubt!

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 01:39AM
wasn't there - but many pulls have sound issues,announcer problems,and just like anything all people are different and focus on things with a selfish approach,just human nature,-- so back to basics,no one ever can satisfy everyone all the time.But announcers should have a radio voice,humor,knowledge and microphone experience,pullers info and some passion,positive energy for the job,many I pull in and attend are great,some not so much.Have heard many "MUSH MOUTH" announcers that have poor equipment,bad ideas of what can be said and are terrible at getting people informed properly.It is fast paced and there is a lot of info to be shared,volume can be hard if speakers are not spaced well.Sometimes class info needs to be covered more,I am a puller for 40 yrs and still don't know and understand some classes,rules and reasons. And another horse to beat or dogg in heat discussion is pull length,let some units be at 270 - 290, not all need to be at 320 - 340,get back to the outdoor distance of 300 being a full pull. Happy snow day again.

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 01:48AM
Personally, I thought the show was very boring this year. The commercials sucked, very few sand pile runs. That’s the stuff the crowd pays to see & it just isn’t there. They did do a great job of keeping the show moving but they really need to work on the entertainment value & get it back to where it was 15-20 years ago. It also seemed that show attendance was down a little but $3 corn probably explains that.

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 07:47AM
We were told the insurance has shut down the sand pile runs. If they're too loose when the class starts they would reset instead of set a pull off and if they started getting in the pile during the class a pulloff would be set to keep them from having to cram it in to get there.

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 18, 2019 11:38PM
I didn't see a problem with any of the announcers, try doing it yourself, it's not easy. No announcer is going to please everyone in the stands.I don't get to see/hear Dan or Butch much, but I think both are good announcers. Dave is also a good announcer, just because he critiques things that happens during a pull so be it. Not everyone in the stands sees the little things that causes a hook to not be as good as it could of been. I guess for everyone that don't like Dave's style of announcing, you better stay East of the river because everyone here don't mind him at all!

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 19, 2019 01:03AM
AC Fan
I guess for everyone that don't like Dave's style of announcing, you better stay East of the river because everyone here don't mind him at all!
Well, maybe Dave should stay west of the river with all the guys that love him so much. His style doesn't seem to have many fans here.

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 19, 2019 01:52AM

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 04:13AM
Watched all 4 days via live stream. Congratulations to Butch for 40 years of announcing! Dan did an amazing job. Clear Voice, easy to understand and knew his facts. He was refreshing to listen too! Although he didn't get much Mic time. Dave Bennet, not so much. Biggest problem Dave has is he tries awful hard to be funny. Also He could use a refresher coarse in public speaking [English Vocabulary]. Tries to act like Larry the cable Guy. JMHO !!!

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 04:48AM
ABSOLUTLEY GET RID OF DAVE ANNOYING DISRESPECTFUL AND TRYS TO BE FUNNY WHEN HES NOT REPLACE HIM WITH MILES SINCE BUTCH IS RETIRING NO FREAKING BRAINER

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 05:19AM
I don't have any problems with Dave except where I sat he's very loud. I used ear plugs most of the time.

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 19, 2019 01:00AM
I hope they keep it a 2 man team of Dave & Dan. That’s all you need with just one track. Both have knowledge of the sport and can drive the mic. Butch did a great job for years but really been slipping these last few years. You go back and look at old Louisville video Butch could drive the mic back in the day, had energy, keep the pull going. Butch has always messed up names, who’s hooked to the sled, facts, but he excelled in other areas. Enjoyed Butch over the years but time to retire. As far as his boys go, they are not Butch. Just can’t drive a mic like Butch did, I hope they keep the D & D show at Louisville.

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 05:19AM
All you people that don't like Dave, why don't you step in and fill his spot? Let's see what you got if you think he is so bad! I thought he was good this year compared to some in the past. How are we supposed to get new people interested in pulling if he doesn't ask some of those questions to the pullers so the new fans can learn and understand? All you people probably think they should hand out a participation trophy to the pullers that didn't win too! Unbelievable

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 07:00AM
Brandon B
All you people that don't like Dave, why don't you step in and fill his spot?

I believe they are suggesting to replace Dave with other professional announcers,...………..not somebody just off the street.Smoking

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 07:06AM
Probably so but maybe they should try it. Let's see how easy it is for them to entertain a crowd of people like that for 3 to 4 hours for 5 shows. I bet most of the peeing and moaning comes to an end.

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 07:28AM
Brandon Dave is the only problem it’s the person not the job hate the player not the game bud butch did just fine so why can’t Dave? The new guy did a way better job then Dave I’ve seen kids do a better job announcing at a county fair pull nothing against Dave personally but me an others don’t like his announcing Skills or the way he does it

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 17, 2019 07:42AM
I don't hate the game or the player. Enjoyed the show very much. We aren't talking about a county fair pull here either, sorry it's a problem for you. If you think you can do better, show us. Armchair quarterbacks are great, have all the answers but nothing to back it up

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 18, 2019 01:59AM
Enjoyed the show very much. Hadn't gone in a few years. What an awesome tribute to Butch! I liked the cell phone tribute Dan did for John Mumma, that made the run very special. Dave is Dave I guess. Can't wait for next year!

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 18, 2019 01:37PM
I have been watching and going to this pull for decades. I think Dave does a terrific job announcing! Dave doesn't critique the pills to be negative. He points out details that most people do not see. By doing this he can help the puller find a problem that they might not know they have! I felt it to be very interesting a lot of the details he brought up! It can help people that don't follow the sport understand more about what is going on! Dave and dan are 2 of the best announcers in the country! At least they know what they are talking about! I have some advice for the nay sayer drama queens on here! Bolt a Gillhotine air shut off to your mouth and keep it in the shut position!

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 18, 2019 01:47PM
Ballizztic
I have some advice for the nay sayer drama queens on here! Bolt a Gillhotine air shut off to your mouth and keep it in the shut position!

Man, where is the 'like' button for your comment!? WELL SAID!!!!

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 19, 2019 01:03AM
Over the years I've heard Dave announce lots of pulls and I always thought that he did a fine job...No announcer could please some of the people on here...

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 19, 2019 02:15AM
right on,-- for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 19, 2019 02:36AM
First, let's try and keep things respectful and please remember that announcers are people with actual feelings. They are part of the show so I do believe they are open to criticism, but I believe there's a way to do it in both a critical but respectful manner. We can talk about mistakes or our preferences as long as we do it in a courteous manner.

As for the original post, I'm not sure what agenda Dave was pushing, please enlighten us. Sure he knows the Outlaw guys better than some of the other pullers. He sees the Outlaw guys all Summer long, I don't fault him one bit for that. I guess I'm just curious what his agenda was because I sure didn't hear one.

As for misinformation and mistakes, ALL announcers do it. Every single one of them. They talk for hours and everything they say in under a microscope, they are bound to make mistakes. Each one of us makes mistakes or misspeaks from time to time (and that's not with 17,000 people listening to us). Personally I didn't think Dave made any more mistakes/misinformation than Butch or Dan (and if he did it's probably because he talks to most so the odds are just higher).

That said, I did think Dave made two faux pas this past weekend;
  1. Critiquing Jeremy Nelson's run in John Mumma's truck. It was an extremely emotional night and a very, very emotional pass. The fact that the Nelson's could even make that pass with all the emotions was a true testament to their professionalism and dedication to the motorsport. It was an amazing way to pay tribute to John and it didn't need a critique in my opinion. Please continue to keep their family and friends in your prayers as they grieve during this time of loss.
  2. The final run of 2019, and the final NFMS call of a legendary announcer. The stage was set perfectly, wily veteran Don Masterson in the pulloff for the last hook of the show. Ironically (or maybe serendipitously) it was a clip of Don Masterson in the Butch tribute video. I thought Dan did a nice job handing the final call to Butch for his last official call of his amazing 40 year career. Dan just put his mic down and gave Butch the reigns. Unfortunately Dave didn't seem to get the hint and jumped in and didn't let Butch solo for his last call. It's just my personal preference but I would have preferred Butch riding off into the sunset on his own.
Again, we ALL make mistakes, unfortunately those two stuck out to me this year. I don't think there was anything intentionally disrespectful meant, they were just minor hicups. I'm sure Dave wishes he could have those brief moments back. If we can't forgive guys for mistakes then that's on us not them.

As for critiquing the runs, I'm fine with it. There are plenty of fans that don't see all the little details so Dave walking them through the replay to educate them seems like a good thing to me. It may not be obvious to the average fan, but most of the pullers absolutely HATE the critique. I remember back years and years ago when I typed a live play by play of each pass, I got more comments and complaints from pullers for the most minor things. I had guys that I'd known for years coming up to me and ripping me a new one because I simply said their tractor “just didn't have it tonight”. Critiquing pullers passes is not the best way to stay in their good graces. That said, just because they hate it doesn't mean an announcer shouldn't do it. The event is about the fans, the announcers job is to inform the fans. If Dave's willing to ruffle pullers feathers to inform the fans then he's got his priorities straight. The fans come first, especially at an event like this.

Last but not least, the sound levels. On the first night I thought they had Dave's mic way too hot and Butch's mic way to low. I think part of that is just how close they hold their mic to their mouth and if that distance is consistent. They had the sound levels much better each night. I didn't travel around the arena much but I heard that sound levels varied greatly from location to location. There were new speakers in the ceiling so it's something they are already aware of. I'm sure it will get sorted out over the next few years.

The three announcers all have different styles and all appeal to different people. That means that some announcers may not appeal to some people. That's fine, we all have different preferences. The key is whether they work together and can they develop a good give and take relationship on the mic.

Overall I thought the announcers did a great job. They interacted more with each other this year and I think that made for some interesting discussions between them. I thought Butch did an amazing job to rally on Wednesday. Butch and John Mumma were friends and he found out the news of his passing just minutes before the session started. You could here the pain in his voice a few times but he rose to the occasion like a true professional.

Again, it's OK to critique the announcers but please keep it respectful. Dave, Butch, and Dan are all great guys. They all love the sport and they all are trying to do the best possible job they can. They all bring something unique to the table and they all pour their hearts in to this event.

Congrats to Butch on an amazing 40-year career. It's a feat the probably won't be duplicated. It's been a pleasure and privilege to listen to him these past 26 or 27 years and I'm honored to call him a friend.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2019 05:21AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 19, 2019 07:51AM
You are exactly right Jake I’m glad you went about it that way that’s far more professional than I did or some other of us did
Thank you

Re: Let's beat the dead horse again!!!! February 19, 2019 11:13AM
I'm going to put my 2 cents in. No I was not there but this has been my experience at the NFMS

Dave. Maybe I'm bias but here it goes. If you ever talk to Dave, one thing that he does that sticks, is that he uses the term "Friend" That term always has thrown me because good friends are hard to come by. Except with Dave, after talking to him, you truely feel that he considers you a friend, yes, he is a friend to you. He is a person that you feel honored to know him. A true good person (I'm sure his mother in-law does not feel the same)

Butch on the other hand is not someone that I know very well. One afternoon he parked by my trailer at the farm show. He asked if it was ok....showed true honesty. The boys and I teased him that it was ok as long as, we could put a white "x" on his rear window (assuring a tow). That night, when we got 3rd, he did our interview. He came up to us and (My family was noisy) and smiled at me. I knew right then I was "in trouble" and now I was the one that was going to be teased. He did it very well. He is a person that you feel honored to know him. A true good person

Sooooo with that all said, 2 of the best, a true blessing to the sport of pulling

Dan on the other is looking to be one the the futures of pulling, I can only wait to see how good he will be. With the live stream that we had, the wait won't be long

John Platte
Podunk pulling team
Turbo up/ Gray Area

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,563, Posts: 229,575, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,055, Posts: 225,837.

Our newest member BadHabit2