Sealing up aluminum rims. February 18, 2019 07:15AM
I have a new to me but used set of 24.5 tires on aluminums. For the life of me I can’t get them to stop leaking. Are tubes the best option?

Re: Sealing up aluminum rims. February 18, 2019 10:39AM
Where are the leaks?

Rich

Re: Sealing up aluminum rims. February 18, 2019 11:28AM
Outside beads, and not coming through the screws. They will take air up to about 3-3.5 psi before they start leaking.

Re: Sealing up aluminum rims. February 18, 2019 11:38AM
Did you lay a bead of some good silicone around the beads

Re: Sealing up aluminum rims. February 19, 2019 05:25AM
doesn't have to be leaking in bead area,can leak thru any part of tire,small pins holes,a little crack inthe casing,sometimes a tube is the least stressful way,I have one that holds air for two weekes as it slowly goes down so very hard to find.my supplier said from the get go,"PUT TUBES IN AND FORGET". However I need to lose the 45 lbs in the next unit so will try tubeless again,Try some foam liquid sealer,or use soapy water to try and find leak area.

Re: Sealing up aluminum rims. February 20, 2019 12:05AM
silicone RTV on the beads and between the halves. dont skimp. never had an issue with leaks. you can put a nice clean bead down and let it dry and then put another bead over top of it and then mount the tires.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,578, Posts: 229,609, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,859.

Our newest member BadHabit2