Who pulled this tractor from the early '70s? March 12, 2019 02:21PM
I've seen a couple videos on youtube which show a modified call Tarantula. Does anyone know who pulled this tractor and where he was from?
Thanks.

Re: Who pulled this tractor from the early '70s? March 15, 2019 12:25AM
I've asked on several Facebook pulling groups about the same tractor Michael, but never really got a straight answer. I thought it was one of Gerdes tractors, but was told no. I seem to remember someone saying that the tractor belonged to Larry Holmes, but I don't know if that's right, nor where he was from. Another person said it was Gerald Hogan. I'd love to have this old tractor. I saw Tarantula the first time at the NTPA Midwest Nationals in 1970 or 71. He was in the pits sharpening his tires. That was the first time I'd seen a Continental tank engine. If I remember right, he did alright, but not at the top of the pack. It sure did sound good though! I believe it had an F-30 Farmall rear end in it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 12:27AM by One Sick Puppy.

Re: Who pulled this tractor from the early '70s? March 15, 2019 02:08AM
I have several pictures of that tractor. I believe it is Gerald Hogan. Not sure where he is from.

Re: Who pulled this tractor from the early '70s? March 20, 2019 02:48PM
what states were these guys pulling in at the time?

Re: Who pulled this tractor from the early '70s? March 21, 2019 12:23AM
NE Puller, at the time I know they pulled in Illinois and Indiana, and I'm sure elsewhere. I was pretty limited to going to pulls in the early 70's as I was only 14 or 15 years old. Even after getting my drivers license, my parents didn't want me traveling much more than 100 to 150 miles from home to a pull. I did get a little farther away a few times by going with a couple of different guys who were neighbors, and adults.

Re: Who pulled this tractor from the early '70s? August 04, 2023 07:23AM
Gerald Hogan was from Sidell, Illinois

Re: Who pulled this tractor from the early '70s? March 21, 2019 02:15AM
I'm pretty sure that its Gerald Hogan from Sidell,Illinois around 1972-73...

Re: Who pulled this tractor from the early '70s? August 05, 2023 06:36AM
For what reason they put the engine that way into the chassis, with particular that much inclination? Did they had something alike a stepup box infront of the transmission to go up in rpm?

Re: Who pulled this tractor from the early '70s? August 05, 2023 06:56AM
They used either an f 20 or f 30 rearend flipped upside down.

Re: Who pulled this tractor from the early '70s? August 07, 2023 11:34PM
Curious that the input shaft is so much out of height compared to the level of the axle, that it will come down that much when its flipped upside down. Furthermore, what kind of usable gear ratios did he had in the end, and does it end up with only one forward and multiple reverse gears?

Re: Who pulled this tractor from the early '70s? August 08, 2023 09:58AM
The input shaft on a flipped F 30 is maybe 24" off the ground. You flip the final drives over and everything else stays the same, all the transmission gears are still there. The differential is not flipped. Makes for a really low center of gravity.
My brother runs a flipped F 20 as a classic modified.
I got to see that tractor run a couple of times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2023 10:00AM by Dirtfarmer.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,613, Posts: 229,669, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,064, Posts: 225,890.

Our newest member JD_8520