Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 19, 2019 11:10PM

More about this on Pullingworld:
The new Major Tom

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 20, 2019 12:10AM
Awesome. This is why i like the pulling overseas. Everyone is willing to try something different.

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 21, 2019 01:16PM
Ingenuity!!! Love it! Keep us posted, Sascha how it does. Thanks for bringing this unique MOD to our attention.

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 21, 2019 03:36PM
Yes,please keep us informed,those mod classes are unique for sure

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 22, 2019 02:27AM
This is why I watch pulling from Europe on the internet. They are not all cookie cutters with hemis

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 22, 2019 06:22AM
Its cool but it will have less horsepower than two hemis! Two! Theres a reason why everyone runs hemis! It's sure it will make good torque and I wish them good luck but they will be way underpowered.

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 22, 2019 06:43AM
The sanctions here cater to the hemi's by putting HP restrictions on the aircraft powerplants.

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 22, 2019 07:11AM
Think about this set the sled. It's not all about horsepower. Think about it is superstockers. If u had a 2 turbo limit on a ag chassis and set the sled u could still have a fast pull and a tower of smoke. It's all in the sled. I would love to watch 3 Allison's or 2 rotary engine tractors and a pair of chevys battle it out with 12 or more in a class with a good sled setting

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 23, 2019 12:25AM
You're exactly right about the sled settings. Sled settings today are set not for pulling, but for sled drag racing. If the sleds were set to put a load on the tractor or truck earlier, some of the higher torque aircraft and industrial engines would be on more of a level playing field. The sleds are weighted and set to cater to the high RPM automotive engines as are the current lengths of the tracks. Some of todays automotive engines would have been lucky to survive a hook on sled settings used back in the 60's and 70's.

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 22, 2019 09:08AM
They know it - but they couldn't afford twin Hemis and few people want to watch a class with tractors all powered by more or less the same engine combination.
Stuff like that puts butts in the seats and makes the promoters happy.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 22, 2019 01:31PM
Mods
This is why I watch pulling from Europe on the internet. They are not all cookie cutters with hemis

I too mostly watch European pulling on the internet...

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 22, 2019 01:45PM
i would love to se the class all mixed up like it once was now i wouldnt walk across the street to se them .As someone said and i will add to it use the settings on the sled results will be a better show with more pullers more colors and more fans in the stands

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 23, 2019 02:06AM
The Radial should not be underestimated by any means. The radial is heavy but there is a ton of potential there. We run east coast against the Radial Reactor and Len has no trouble running with and beating good twin hemi tractors. Mike and Len have done an awesome job getting really good power from the Curtis Wright. Fortunately the European Mod class has done a much better job of making rules and keeping a lot of variety in their mod class.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2019 02:44AM by Pysher.

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 23, 2019 02:40AM
"Unfortunately" started the last sentence. Physer, I think you actually mean 'fortunately'. It is unfortunate the US has not. Old Mod Puller has a very valid point.

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 24, 2019 01:26AM
Exactly right,many folks have no idea about the old days pulling,"BACK IN THE DAY" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hemi's have power,but not the torque like a pulling unit had to drag a sled for 250 -299 feet,an empty bale wagon is what I call it now,till the grousers are dropped and the sled picks itself up over the pan. Some of both types should be incorporated into all venues.

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 24, 2019 04:16AM
I am really wondering whether I should write this as I am probably not going to make any friends with it...
Blower engines have tremendous amounts of low end torque - simply because the blowers deliver full boost as soon as the butterflies are open.
To be competitive with "something else": Cubic inches sure help, but still need to have forced induction.
Anything with a "blower wheel" to run with the blower stuff needs a VERY well adjusted fuel system (= EFI).

Bascially... as long as you don't allow EFI anything turbo or supercharger is not going to be competitive with blower engines.

I will happily lay out why - but that will make for a long read...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2019 04:27AM by Sascha.

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 24, 2019 06:08AM
correct me if I am wrong,---- but a supercharger is refered to as a "blower",always has been,not mentioned is rpms,automotive type can turn many more than most commercial or industrial type,????????? Rpms are a very important part of "bite" on the track with tires turning much faster.however when it comes to turbines,seems like those rpms are hard to use,must be geared way down?????? Sascha,-- you have some crazy way cool hi - performance stuff over across the pond.But that is where most of the high tech engines were designed and built,years ago.

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 24, 2019 09:41AM
Well.. we (I) have to be a little more specific.
When talking "superchargers" I usually refer to "radial type" blowers with a "wheel". Like the superchargers on aircraft engines or Pro Charger, Vortec etc. Basically, engine (crank) driven turbochargers.
These things create boost by the square in relation to rpm. So at low rpm - basically nothing.
The other "Blowers" are usually roots or screw type and they are "positive displacement" and have a linear air supply.

Why is this a fuel issue?

A mechanical fuel system is based upon a positive displacement (linear) fuel pump. Perfect for a blower engine.
With a "by the square" supercharger you have to try and match a basically linear fuel supply to a "half a parabola" air supply.
Usually you can match it at some point - but most of the "down low" parts you are usually WAY TOO RICH and then need all kinds of valves to get rid of that fuel.
That way you can correct the fuel line a little - but you are far away from "perfect" and lack low-end torque - which in pulling is "driveability". Like having control over when to hammer it when the tires have hooked up, much better performance at the end - in general a much wider rpm band you can run in and less "digital" engine performance.
First time we had that sorted on the Allisons with EFI and actually cut fuel out "down low" we basically blew the driveline out.
Heat generation is playing even worse tricks in that matter.

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! April 25, 2019 12:52AM
Yep......what Sascha says. JW

Re: Just WOW... another radial monster from Germany - 4360 cui! June 04, 2019 01:08AM
Is that an r-4360 pratt and whitney?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,578, Posts: 229,609, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,859.

Our newest member BadHabit2