bring back the old eliminaters July 01, 2019 12:42PM
I can remember how much I loved pulling years ago. It wasn't the most power that won, it was getting hooked to the track . Two turbos would beat three.

Re: bring back the old eliminaters July 01, 2019 07:24PM
I don't miss the old "tugboats"!
Heck you can keep your old step on sleds too!

Re: bring back the old eliminaters July 02, 2019 12:14AM
So day later explain to me how this example is pulling. Hot farm tractor runs into trouble at the 200 ft mark and dies the sled doesnt stop but actually pushes the tractor sideways. How is this got anything to do with pulling. Or tractors running down the track and no load on them till the pan drops and then they die.

Re: bring back the old eliminaters July 02, 2019 01:22AM
It has to do with pulling something that is hook to the hitch. When you hook to a loaded hay wagon it pulls pretty easy untill get to hill, depending on how steep the hill is will determine if you have a strong enough tractor. When you farm you don't always pull a plow some times you pull a hay wagon. It's faster but in some cases it will let you know how strong your tractor is.

When was the last time you saw a tractor in the field blowing a smoke cloud big enough to block out the light,or smelled alcohol fumes in the hay field. Even when I started with an old Super 88 that was bone stock I did away with the governor...nothing stays the same they evolve and move on.

When I was young I loved watching the SS tractors run,thought it was the coolest thing ever but now when I watch the old videos it is boring for me after watching today's pulling. But that's just me.

I think your thinking is why they are bringing back the Classic SS classes.

S'no Farmer

Re: bring back the old eliminaters July 03, 2019 01:38AM
I don't disagree on what you're saying Todd. There is one thing that is really beginning to concern me though. That's the length of the hooks. I'm not trying to open a can of worms with everyone on the site, but I do think there are things to consider. It use to be 300', then 310', then 325'. I saw a hook the other day where the class was finishing at around 365'. I believe it's getting out of hand. I won't argue about pulling a tugboat compared to drag pulling, most of todays pulling vehicles wouldn't survive the old "stone boats" due to duration of run time. My focus is on safety. I lot of tracks have unlimited run off room, while others are extremely limited. Some of the limited tracks are due to initial design back when 300' was a full pull. Many fairgrounds have buildings that are built at the end of the tracks, or the track positioning prevents additional runoff room. Pulling myself for a number of years, I see the validity to floating finish lines and won't argue that. I can remember how important it was to have the correct gear for the sled you were hooking to, not necessarily the track. It was dependent on which sled you could "run with" and which one you actually pulled. I do feel that 350'-400' plus is unwarranted.

Re: bring back the old eliminaters July 03, 2019 11:00AM
One thing that I see as spectator. Speed has increased alot with the new sleds.I agree that it is more exciting.But we are not talking about 3000 pound drag car or a 1600 lbs sprint car. Track speed is in the mid 30's mph. Say prostock tractor weighs 9500lbs or mod 7500lbs, tractor gets out of shape on the track. Drivers today do not have enough time sometimes to correct there pulling vehicle with the new sleds. The sled looks as if they are free wheeling because the pan has not dropped yet. Drivers looks like a ping pong ball bouncing around in the cage of there tractors. Now I know some will say driver may not have there belts tight enough.I am not sure of the answer to this and some will not care. But what happens if the drive bounces his head off the steel roll cage and is not knocked out. There is alot of rolling mass with the sled weight and tractor weight.

Re: bring back the old eliminaters July 03, 2019 12:52PM
Go back to loading the wagon and there would be one 0f your answers on the other topic how to save SSD that torque could then be useful .which we know won't happen but just saying also LOL Ihave a 544 farmall with a turbo used to mow hay with that i can drink two beers on and text my wife while crawling down the track at the same time and get 100ft or closer to the super stocks on a 300 ft track

Re: bring back the old eliminaters July 02, 2019 10:24AM
Pulling has changed and it's not going back. If we went back to the old sleds it would require everyone to rebuild because nothing is geared low enough and the motors aren't built to handle 25 second runs instead of the teens they're running now.

Re: bring back the old eliminaters July 04, 2019 02:42PM
Today's tractors would tear the old sleds apart 4500 hp is way ore than the old days

Re: bring back the old eliminaters July 04, 2019 03:40PM
Daddyo
Today's tractors would tear the old sleds apart 4500 hp is way ore than the old days

You bet! 7 blown engines at 12,000# just babied them!

Re: bring back the old eliminaters July 04, 2019 04:09PM
I operate the red General Tire Decision Maker sled, which is a Bauer Built sled, and I have hooked the PPL mod class several times. My father owns Thumb #11, built in 1984, and has been hooked to the likes of Tim Engler, David Banter, John Heilman, etc.... I can tell you first hand, even with updates & improvements to his old sled, the speed & the beating & banging of even a light pro has broke his sled several times! I'm no engine builder, but I feel confident that Ricky Rose's mod with three engines makes more horsepower than Engler or Banter with 7 chevys, not to mention having much better tire & chassis technology to use his horsepower. So yea, the vehicles of today can & will break those old sleds, or vice versa, the old boat anchor sleds will cause these new high strung vehicles to melt down at half track. Either way, it's not gonna be pretty.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,613, Posts: 229,668, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,064, Posts: 225,889.

Our newest member JD_8520