Perkins 354 timing August 11, 2019 09:04AM
I got a Bosch VE (L107) mounted to my 6.354.1 in my White 2-105. Anyone have advise on how I should time it?

Re: Perkins 354 timing August 11, 2019 01:15PM
Set the pump on top dead center, and the engine. Then put a degree wheel on the crank and turn the engine over until it’s at the desired degrees bdtc. You can take the little pump timing gear off the front to let the pump stay in place but the engine still roll over.

Or a much less specific way: put them both on Tdc, roll the engine back a little, then time it by ear or by dyno.

Good luck! The 354 are advanced a lot from the factory. 32* for a 1130 MF or something close to that if I remember correctly.

I’ve always wanted to mount a VE on a 354 but never did.

Re: Perkins 354 timing August 11, 2019 04:18PM
Thanks for your thoughts. Could I other you for a few more? I’m thinking similarly but the injection point should start before the pump is on TDC and continue after it goes past TDC. If I did it how you suggested, I’m thinking that it would be too advanced, correct?

The pump has a total lift of .110”. Looking at the 6.354.4 maintenance manual for the engine with the Bosch pump, I interpret it to position the engine so the #1 cylinder is .049” BTDC (using the drop valve method) and adjust the injection pump to have .039” lift from plunger BDC. This seems like it would be way too retarded since the piston is only 5 to 10 degrees BTDC at .049” from the top, and the pump is only lifting slightly. This is explained in the manual on page 61. [www.bootkeyharbor.com]

Thanks for taking the time to try and help me out. I’m excited to figure it ou and get this thing going.

Re: Perkins 354 timing August 12, 2019 06:10AM
A VE pump will put out a pretty good amount of fuel in stock form, and are cheap and plentiful.

I really think your over thinking it. But if the pump is on tdc for cylinder 1 then it would’ve already injected. And yes it will be advanced, but as I said earlier factory is advanced 32 degrees btdc. And that is factory, if you wanting to run more rpm and get more power you’ll be advancing the timing even more.

Pretty sure they never put a VE pump on a 354. Make sure your not looking at a book for a 1006 (365) Perkins. Some of them had VE pump but they are not timed the same.

What are you trying to do with this 354? Farm, pull, or both?

Re: Perkins 354 timing August 12, 2019 08:06AM
I was looking at the T6.354.4 workshop manual. [www.bootkeyharbor.com]

Page 21 has the timing stats and page 61 is the timing procedure. I just doesn't seem like that procedure would inject before #1 TDC. I've got be interpreting something wrong I'm thinking.... My white 2-105 manual says that it should be set at 30 degrees like you said before, so I'll have to try a few things, take some measurements and report back.

I want to pull with it mostly, but if I can us it as a spare farm tractor, that would be a bonus. 2 or 3 pulls a year are hp restricted at 120 hp, and the rest are open/mph classes, so I'd like to find a good timing spot and leave it. I'm hoping the fuel pin and AFC adjustments will give me what I need to really open it up hopefully.

Re: Perkins 354 timing August 11, 2019 11:44PM
Is the VE pump original equipment?

Why the VE pump instead of Stanadyne pump?

Thanks
Rich

Re: Perkins 354 timing August 12, 2019 12:17AM
SmilingThe original is a CAV. I couldn’t get much fuel out of it and it’s a pain to turn up and down. A few of the later 6.354.4 engines had VE pumps but I’m not sure on the application and there’s not much info available on them. Just trying to gather as much info before I go too far and break something.

Re: Perkins 354 timing August 12, 2019 08:48AM
you have to inject fuel before tdc because of how fast the engine rotates and the delay of fuel getting through the line, injectors, and into the cylinder. You also have to take into account the amount of time it takes for the fuel to actually be injected and burn. Compressed air is at its hottest at tdc, but your fuel need time to get there. Thus the reason you "advance" the timing to make them running better in the upper rpm.

Dont worry about breaking something, worse it will do is run poorly. Put it in time for factory timing, then when the time comes you could jump a tooth on the small gear that drives the pump to advance the timing. We use to do that back in the day when we farmed and pulled with it. I dont know how many degrees that changes it though.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,576, Posts: 229,605, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,857.

Our newest member BadHabit2