Ouch September 07, 2019 01:16AM
Hope this link works.

video: [www.facebook.com]

Re: Ouch - Semi engine catastrophe September 07, 2019 01:53AM
Yep, just really have to keep finding and building more power!!! For what purpose?

But I do feel for the Shanklins!!! A family committed to pulling and always trying their best. If I recall correctly, this now thoroughly destroyed engine was a new one to replace the previous destroyed engine from 3 or 4 years ago. Lou, am I remembering (rather) correctly?

Re: Ouch September 07, 2019 10:53AM
Thanks for sharing the link. After I watched it I noticed that Jesse Post had a better quality video:
http://jppullingproductions.com/black-sheeps-blow-up-at-ellsworth-wi/

I just hate to see that kind of destruction. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like the Semi class breaks blocks on a disproportionately high level compared to other classes. It also seems like the vast majority of broken blocks have multiple turbos hanging on top.

Now before we start talking about billet blocks or recast blocks in the Semi class can we have a discussion about possibly dialing the Semi class back to a single charger Pro Stock Semi class instead of a multi-charger class? In my personal opinion I don’t think multi chargers adds anything to the show quality.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Ouch September 07, 2019 11:42AM
We really need to talk about securing the engines better. Maybe a steel cage around the engine that bolts to the frame?

Re: Ouch September 07, 2019 11:53AM
That might stop them from coming out onto the track but it doesn't address the root problem.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Ouch September 07, 2019 01:10PM
Jake Morgan
That might stop them from coming out onto the track but it doesn't address the root problem.

Nope, it doesn't, imo.

"hey, if we can do something to keep the engines from catapulting out of the trucks / tractors if or when they blow, then maybe we can seriously look at pushing our equipment even harder", will probably be the mind set of those who have the deepest pockets.

Brand loyalty is gone in pulling anyway, at least the farther you stray from bone stock....but what do I know, I'm not a puller, just a farm boy that's been going to pulls as far back as the early '80's..

I guess I'm just bringing up or addressing another problem or issue with the sport and what it has become .

I do feel for the Shanklin's, as I know them personally, but if you want to compete in just about any high performance class, , more power is , as far as i'm concerned, the one thing "everyone" is trying to find more of.

Re: Ouch September 08, 2019 01:50AM
Some of the best semis in the business now are single chargers, class act, in god we trust, sneaky Pete, etc...

Re: Ouch September 08, 2019 11:35AM
Absolutely, it's a trend that should simply become a rule.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Ouch September 08, 2019 11:44AM
Maybe it’s time for them to incorporate tie downs on these cat blocks.

Re: Ouch September 07, 2019 11:27AM
I know Louie and that's gotta hurt.
Hope she wasn't hurt .

Re: Ouch September 07, 2019 01:45PM
I talked to them last night and the wasnt even tuned on kill. The safety part they run a cable around the front of the motor so when this does happen it is pushed away from the cab of the truck. And she was just fine

Re: Ouch September 07, 2019 01:53PM
They can't still make an awful lot of power and cylinder pressure with a single turbo. Im not convinced that the cable system is adequate

Re: Ouch September 07, 2019 03:33PM
If the block gets out didnt the cables fail ?, theres a specified amount of slack permitted in them correct ?, shouldn't they contain the large part as in block and head,if that touches the ground the cables broke

Re: Ouch September 07, 2019 03:39PM
The cable’s job is to flip the head/block forward away from the driver

Re: Ouch September 07, 2019 04:27PM
Ywp.big cable in front small in back,laced thru manifolds. Are both cables intended to break ?

Re: Ouch September 07, 2019 04:29PM
The cable did it’s job exactly as was said above.

Problems lie in using engines that were produced in the late 80 on they the mid 90s, all the blocks they are using have been through who knows what when they were being used for the original purpose.

The 3406 mechanical block is becoming notorious for splitting along the camshaft bore, as long as that bore is in the block it could continue to be an issue for multi charger 3406 equipped trucks.

Single charger would make them less prone to this as boost numbers would drop and cylinder pressure become more manageable.

Re: Ouch September 07, 2019 05:51PM
The Big Rigs Series for USA East went through this very scenario a few years back with multi turbocharged motors. Started the season with over 10 (12 maybe, I forget) and ended the year with less than half...They decided as a competitive group to go back to a single charger and it’s made a huge difference. They only had one machine with catastrophic failure this season, but it was nothing like what is shown in the video. They put on one heck of a show every time they pull. I definitely think that a single charger is the way to go. Especially when you consider most of those single charger trucks are still making 3000 HP+

Re: Ouch September 08, 2019 11:58AM
That engine was in the truck for 2 seasons(almost), the tune up was just to make laps not trying to win.When we first put 3 chargers on it was the most affordable way for us to compete.At that time the single charger that was necessary would not live.Guys needed 2 or 3 of them to always have 1 Wimers have charger now that is much more dependable but what I have works.I don't want to have to buy a billet block but I probably already have.We are the only super stock class required to use an oem block.I believe some of the tie down systems available cost as much as a block might.If we have to compete with some of these teams$for$ we are screwed may already be.We had fun and still are ,just may not be competitive anymore.
Brenda is fine, not even all worked up. Some of you know this is the 3rd block to do this for us,the 2nd 1 was my fault.We have no idea what these engines did for the first 25 years they were in use before we got them.

Re: Ouch September 10, 2019 11:58AM
Why has the answer to every bit of breakage all of a sudden become, "they needs limits"?

Re: Ouch September 10, 2019 01:04PM
#nolimits
Why has the answer to every bit of breakage all of a sudden become, "they needs limits"?
It's not the answer for "every bit of breakage all of a sudden". In fact a Light Pro broke a wheel off last weekend and I don't think anything should change in that class because it was a statistical anomaly. However, this is a pretty common occurrence in the Semi class. They break blocks at a disproportionately high level. It's more than a statistical anomaly, it's a trend. I'm simply proposing a solution to curb that trend. It wouldn't eliminate broken blocks completely but I believe that it would drastically reduce the number of blocks splitting.

(As a side note, the classes with more limits are the ones that are growing. Sensible limits help classes, and that's a trend that makes sense)

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Ouch September 10, 2019 01:21PM
Instead of unlimited single wording in any single turbo class why not change it to single stage turbo system. This would apply to classes like semis and prostock tractors. These big singles are extremely over priced because you cant just go buy them anywhere. If the rule read single stage turbo system you could spend significantly less money by running smaller turbos on a single stage setup.

Re: Ouch September 10, 2019 02:06PM
That sounds great to me. Two or Three (or 7) in a single stage would be fine in my opinion.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,580, Posts: 229,613, Members: 3,320.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,861.

Our newest member Fechtner Racing