IH 966 please help August 06, 2009 01:55PM
We have a 966 with a 414 with N/A pistons in it. This tractor is turbocharged. It has a 13 mm pump, .093 over lines and 4x22 injectors. This is my problem: I had the pump taken to to Scheid diesel and had the cam in it ground and the delivery valve changed, and the timing advance locked out. Also had the injectors tested, they checked out at 37-3800 popoff with good atomization. They told me set the timing at 32-36 degrees. The tractor doesnt put out much at all smoke when trying to start. It WILL NOT start without starting fluid. Once started it idles a little rough and acts starved for fuel. When the throttle is opened up it runs good and really wants to go. If you shut it off it will not start without starting fluid. We have tried timing it at 32,36,28 degrees. All with the same very little smoke while rolling it over. I was told it would be a little tougher to start, but starting fluid, and even after it has been running? Whats wrong???

Re: IH 966 please help August 06, 2009 01:58PM
I forgot to mention, fuel pressure is 75 psi supplied to the pump and have brand new filters on also. Ran great before the pump work.

Re: IH 966 please help August 06, 2009 02:34PM
Is it a Model 100 rotary pump? If so, that pump could be off 180 degrees because it turns half the speed of the motor. Recheck your timing. Put it on your 32-36 degrees, take the timing gear off the pump and rotate injection pump one complete turn and reinstall at your 32-36 degrees timing mark. Put the gear back on it and tighten and turn the key. Let me know what happens. Good luck.

Re: IH 966 please help August 07, 2009 01:17AM
I have similiar issues with an IH 806. Have to give it starting fluid in the middle of summer and when it idles it wants to quit or idles rough. I can be pulling it hard and if the motor is killed or idled down too much it quits and I have to use starting fluid to fire it up again. Pump has not been worked on recently. Any ideas.

Re: IH 966 please help August 07, 2009 01:48AM
Your 806 pump needs rebuilt the head is bad.

Farmboy try what helper told u.

Re: IH 966 please help August 07, 2009 02:00AM
If it is a rotary pump, the tractor will not start at a 180 degrees out, believe me i have been there, if it is a p pump sounds like your rack isnt going all the way ahead. Just a thought

Re: IH 966 please help August 07, 2009 11:40AM
if its a rotary it is most likely 180 out, i had the same problem last year and believe me it will run 180 out. had to start it on either but it would run after that, got it back in time and it purred like a kitten.

Re: IH 966 please help August 07, 2009 03:01AM
what kind of head do you have on it?
if its the original none turbo head this will give you trouble also

Re: IH 966 please help August 07, 2009 04:54AM
we have been there, and we work on and pull several tractors with this setup....either the compression if the engine is is way low for some reason, or the head on the pump is bad. Since you said it ran fine before the pump work, it must have to do with work that was done to your pump. The tractor will not run if the pump is 180 degrees off. there is no reason it should start that hard with the timing in the 30's. Timing was more of a factor of starting on the old roosemaster pumps. And the non-turbo parts will not cause it to not start or start hard. We have turboed many non turboed engines with no problems, so that is not a factor here. Send the pump Back, or try a different pump and see if it runs, any stock running pump, that's really the only way to know for sure in this situation.

Re: IH 966 please help August 07, 2009 05:37AM
Try giving the pump some throtle while you pull the fuel shut off out half-way.Schieds usually dont send out junk and built pumps are finicky. Once you get the hang of it its not to bad. The pump sounds like its good under load and thats the important thing!

Re: IH 966 please help August 07, 2009 05:52AM
I believe farmboy is talking about a rotay pump...Is there a fuel shut off to pull out half way?

Re: IH 966 please help August 07, 2009 12:38PM
you need to get the advance back in the pump,,set it at 22 degrees and it will run fine, your running far too much timing ,,and they will start hard ,,hot or cold,,,,,,, your robbing urself of power and smooth engine operation by not using the intravance, scheid is a fine shop,

Re: IH 966 please help August 07, 2009 12:51PM
Everything I got from Schied has been junk. Paid big money for nothing. Thats a fact! Call Hyper and they'll get you straightened out.

Re: IH 966 please help August 07, 2009 04:04PM
Guiys it is a model 100 rotary. Problem has been fixed. The pump was 180 degrees out of time. All of yall that said it wouldnt run like that are incorrect. It will run like that. Tractor starts fine now that we got the pump back on time, no starting fluid.Thanks for the help guys.

Re: IH 966 please help August 08, 2009 12:46AM
Glad to hear you got your problem solved. Sometimes its hard to sift through the highly knowledgeable keyboarders on hereWinking

Re: IH 966 please help August 08, 2009 01:34AM
Yeah... Like Vinny! lol

Re: IH 966 please help August 08, 2009 05:20AM
knows not to doubt VinnyGrinning

Re: IH 1066 please help August 05, 2020 10:51AM
New injector times it one way. And turned it 180 degree and still won’t start. It was running before but leaking fuel into oil. Put a new pump on, timed it, will run on ether. Fuel is getting to injectors. Please help if u can!

Re: IH 1066 please help August 06, 2020 12:15AM
your either still 180 off or pump problems,

Re: IH 966 please help August 07, 2020 02:26PM
farmboy1989
We have a 966 with a 414 with N/A pistons in it. This tractor is turbocharged. It has a 13 mm pump, .093 over lines and 4x22 injectors. This is my problem: I had the pump taken to to Scheid diesel and had the cam in it ground and the delivery valve changed, and the timing advance locked out. Also had the injectors tested, they checked out at 37-3800 popoff with good atomization. They told me set the timing at 32-36 degrees. The tractor doesnt put out much at all smoke when trying to start. It WILL NOT start without starting fluid. Once started it idles a little rough and acts starved for fuel. When the throttle is opened up it runs good and really wants to go. If you shut it off it will not start without starting fluid. We have tried timing it at 32,36,28 degrees. All with the same very little smoke while rolling it over. I was told it would be a little tougher to start, but starting fluid, and even after it has been running? Whats wrong???

What is the compression ratio?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,571, Posts: 229,596, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,057, Posts: 225,852.

Our newest member BadHabit2