It's only money, isn't it? November 13, 2019 05:04AM
We seem to be in constant chatter about the costs to build, maintain, and repair pulling tractors and trucks. Turns out there's a whole other level of spending above what we see from our sport, and beyond NHRA or NASCAR. An article on the Forbes website (article link HERE) discusses the cost of F1 engine development. I really don't have the right words to describe what I read. F1 is by far one of the most regulated and limited of all motorsports and this is where they're at. Take a read if you have a few minutes, and thanks to Brian Lohnes of Bangshift.com for tipping this article.

Share your thoughts!

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: It's only money, isn't it? November 13, 2019 05:21AM
Its all expensive Im getting into garden tractor pulling 10 thousand dollars for a 85 horse 1 cylinder engine

Re: It's only money, isn't it? November 13, 2019 05:35AM
Deere Puller-

I follow F1 pretty loosely, however it's evidently the most popular form of motorsport in the world. There have been several iterations of the cars over the years where money/ingenuity/reading the rulebook for what it doesn't say - plays into the outcome on the track. I think we can all agree, if you follow NASCAR, that it is highly limited and regulated but this is next-level beyond that. Their rulebook is 71 pages long for one class of competition vehicle. I skimmed through it and if you have a spare three hours you can probably get through the whole thing. Just google "2019 F1 rulebook" and you'll see a pdf file to download in the search results. I think you'll see where I'm coming from.
"

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: It's only money, isn't it? November 13, 2019 05:21AM
Brian,
I don't follow F1 at all, so please elaborate on your statement that F1 is by far one of the most regulated and limited of all motorsports.

Re: It's only money, isn't it? November 16, 2019 03:55PM
Read the article.

Re: It's only money, isn't it? November 13, 2019 07:22AM
Comparing F1 to any other form of motorsports (tractor pulling) is like comparing an NFL team, to a high school football team. Sure it's still football. But nothing correlates.

Re: It's only money, isn't it? November 13, 2019 07:49AM
The escalation of spending definitely correlates though it is exponentially higher in F1 than anywhere else.

There are lessons to be learned from other motorsports in many respects; this is an illustration of spending running amok to the point of a couple other engine manufacturers potentially getting out of the game. Pullers quit, change classes, or work to create a new class when the expense of any number of classes gets escalates.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: It's only money, isn't it? November 13, 2019 07:31AM
Tractor and truck pulling is as much an industry as it is a sport along with pretty well any motor sport. It's a fair chunk of money to be able to run your iron down the track let alone be in the top 3 at every hook. Take into account the people that can afford to participate in this sport, the business they run to be able to afford it, do you ever think the people that do business with those people complain there product is expensive? It's simply just the price of doing business, everyone has to make money doing what they're doing or they wouldn't be doing. Case in point, if you're thinking about getting into the sport don't bother going to the bank for a loan or credit line, this is truly a disposable income sport, you aren't going to make money. Maybe back in 80's and in the 90's it wasn't half bad but this isn't a hot sport anymore, you look at those street outlaw guys going to no prep track events, getting paid $40,000.00 to win at each track with a grand final of $400,000.00. I can see why somebody would get involved there but you ain't making that kinda dough pulling and I don't think you ever will.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,576, Posts: 229,605, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,857.

Our newest member BadHabit2