Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 15, 2019 02:35PM
Somebody told me that pulling gets alot of money for the shows on TV and somebody else said that the organization has to pay to have the shows on. What the story

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 15, 2019 03:24PM
Everybody buys TV time, if you can sell the commercial timeslots for enough, you will make profit.
In the case of certain oil products company, they maybe purchasing the TV time to get the commercial timeslots and the pulling org benefits from that.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 15, 2019 03:31PM
As said this is all a time buy, it’s still very valuable for the various Lucas series who get the added exposure though not as good as getting paid for broadcast rights. Lucas probably produces enough content and runs it enough different times on 40 networks to make some $ but not like a league getting rights fees

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 16, 2019 03:09AM
So the show's on TV might cost the organazation money if they don't sell enough ads
What happened to the Outlaw shows they were real good.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 19, 2019 05:05AM
I've worked in the Motorsports Television production since the 1980's. At that time ESPN was willing to trade TV time for content which is how pulling got on the airwaves. In a half hour show, the program packager, the TV show Producer, would have rough 2-3 minutes of commercial time to use. Typically the "sanctioning body-pull producer" would get some commercial time to sell. This would help defray the cost of the TV program. The program packager would made the TV show (recording, editing, graphics, ship to NETWORK) might retain some commercial time. Back in the 80-90's that trade arrangement worked well for pulling and monster trucks. TNN and ESPN got good programming and the NTPA got a place to showcase sponsors.
As cable continued to grow, networks would pay rights fees to get EXCLUSIVE rights to a sport. NOT everyone got rights fees F1, NASCAR, NFL, MLB, and maybe a few one off types of sports got cash for the rights to be on tv.
In the 2000's time buy became the model for weekly or seasonal TV. You pay for a time slot and in most cases you get the revenue from the commercials that are played in that slot. You get the commercials that you sold, usually NOT the network TV ads. If you see a Budweiser commercial, that would normally be a network commercial and you aint' getting any cash.
In theory the commercials in the show usually cover the production cost of the show/series. That cost is travel cost for crew, camera/lights/truck/audio etc. for the actual shooting of the series. Then the editing, graphics, music, voice over, commercial insertion ALL to NETWORK standards wrap up the rest of production expense. Not everyone gets to submit TV shows to a network. I'd laugh when people tell me they are sending their show to NBC (or any network) and they were getting a big check. As they couldn't tell you the audio requirements etc. Send an unsolicited tape to a network....you won't even get a thank you card.
As far as pulling get alot of money from TV shows....in theory yep, but mostly it's a break even proposal. Lucas Oil and it's TV/web production arm might be the exception since it has MANY racing series and networks to display it's products. In TV you got more than one show....you are starting to make money.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 19, 2019 07:16AM
Thanks Doc for clearing up how that all works. It would be great to see pulling grow on the myriad of channels that could pick it up beyond the usual suspects. In a world where ESPN is paying $2 billion per year for Monday Night Football, even a small piece of that big pie back to pulling would be more than welcome!

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 20, 2019 12:51AM
I truly believe that niche motor sports and automotive programs are in an upswing. Think of how many auto auctions you can watch on tv these days. How to programs are still a mainstay on networks. There is still interest in horsepower. MAVTV and Motor Trend are basically a channel with nothing but horsepower driven content. I truly believe that people want their horsepower mixed with some personality. Just like the John Force comment. Think of the show Fast and Loud - it’s about the cars, sure, but isn’t also about the people too? Pulling just needs to find a company willing to put a show together following A,B,C puking teams - not just the events, but their home life, time at the shop, time on the road, etc. THAT would get pulling BACK on tv.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 19, 2019 10:08AM
The only way pulling would grow for tv is stage fires wrecks explosions and crashes for every event One Red tractor with shiny wheals and big fat tires that pulls thingamagiger 305 then the next red one pulls it 310 is not going to cut it

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 19, 2019 01:17PM
I want to be the driver for the destruction tractor or truck, that would be a ton of fun and be some superdynowhoppingmojodoola big important tearing stuff up beyond repair. oh I was that guy oops.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 19, 2019 01:44PM
Pulling needs a John Force or Gary Scelzi!
Someone that is wound for sound in the interview after winning, or crashing, or blowing up an engine, etc.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 20, 2019 03:00AM
Jeff HIrt?

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 20, 2019 06:31AM
So how much of the money trickles down to the pullers? Spinning

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 20, 2019 06:49AM
Did you read these comments? There is no money. To get pulling on TV it COSTS money. There's just no demand. Look at the number of views for pulling videos on Youtube, funny cat videos get more views. I love this sport but lets not pretend that its not a tiny niche sport.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 20, 2019 01:14PM
Pullings main purpose is to fill a one night show at your local County fairs every year more county fairs are disappearing when they go which they will pulling is gone with it

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 20, 2019 11:22PM
You know, just once I'd like it if you'd take a positive stance Lewis.

There's enough bad news days in the world without you whining about the "alleged" decline of the sport.

Zip it!!

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 21, 2019 02:32AM
So, "stop it", we are just suppose to accept that everything in life, including pulling, is just super hunky dorry fine. Right?
Wrong!
If you do not like Lewis' statements, then how come you do not get on Dick & Jake's case?
Lewis' 2 postings in this thread is right on. In fact, It is not only the County Fairs disappearing with having the Big Name Sanctioning Bodies but consider how many State Fairs use to have that. But what do those same State Fairs cater to today for entertainment? Certainly is not Pulling.

Got my really good laugh for the day with the Jeff Hirt comment. Sorry Jeff! But, really, he is the show. Watch the rather boring pull (it's the time between hooks) anticipating what will Jeff do this time. Finally, we get his 'stage show'. Okay, we got our admission price amusement satisfaction. Time to head home we go.

Yeah, I agree with "Media Relations". Need to relay the one on one personality of this sport to our audience.
I will do a suggestion. Some Sanctioning Bodies have a Big Screen with Video Capabilities. They have their 'big screen' at a pull. So the people running that video needs to go visit the pits before the pull / in between sessions. Video a short presentation of each puller / family / crew of his/her profession, length of pulling career time / highlights, is it a good season thus far and why, etc, etc. Make it a 2 or 3 minute interesting presentation. Play it on the big screen just prior to his/her hook.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 21, 2019 02:43AM
Not many seem to want the truth on anything these days.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 21, 2019 03:44AM
As much as the tractor guys hate door slammers the sport needs to increase their focus on 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive truck classes. Less farms makes the trucks more relatable from the stands - and especially when the sport gets to take a swing on national TV. But trucks are always treated as the step children of the sport while they're really the ones ewho can make it as big as drag racing

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 21, 2019 02:55AM
Lewis -
No doubt pulling has changed in Kentucky but this is a national and international sport. Im not trying to pick on you but you gotta cross a state line or 4 and see how healthy the sport is. Farm stock is alive and well in numerous locations; LLSS is growing; and fans pack the stands at hundreds of fairs to watch.

Pulling started changing in Kentucky when small farms started to disappear in the eighties, the tobacco buyout hurt things and farm kids, including me left the farm also when it was time to get really big in farming to survive. Fairs, like pulls, have to have dedicated people for the fair to be good. If a fair isn't good it won't last. The irony here is that my own local fair has improved the last couple years and three surrounding counties have excellent pulls. I was at Somerset for the PPL show and the stands were packed...their first pull in years... that's in your back yard!

Our biggest problem isn't support from sponsors, or fans, or pullers...it is that the average age of a puller is going up dramatically. This is a story for another thread at another time of course.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 21, 2019 04:36AM
... where I come from:

- the average age for a puller is probably in his late 30s (counting in the guys with the garden tractors - even lower)
- we have no trucks
- for next year we'll have a record number of events and steady growing crowds at a lot of events
- events are usually "stand alone" deals and not related to fairs
- 2/3rds of the farms stopped since 1979
- only 1.4% of the working population works in agriculture
- Except for stock classes, I know very few farmers who actually pull. Most pullers have a technical back round as mechanics or their jobs are also often related to construction / earth moving etc.
- the best crowds are at events that are within 40 mls of bigger cities

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 21, 2019 05:11AM
In the upper Midwest,crowds are much larger near Big Cities,however we have lost 6 venues,(smaller rural areas) in the last three yrs.Numbers of farmers,much the same as Sascha,only a handfull left.Many areas of the country like Bryan says are very active with pulling,If you enjoy something we as humans tend to prioritize it.Let's continue to pull,win,whine,make more power,have fun,make friends and share our sucess and failures on here.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 21, 2019 06:37AM
I'm tired of seeing all of this Euro v. USA.

How much motorsports other than tractor pulling does Europe have? The answer is nothing like what we have here in the states.

We have drag racing, circle track, drifting, road courses, land speed, rock crawling, sand racing, mud racing, atv racing, motorcross, RC racing, and most importantly rototiller racing! It's endless...

Sascha yes, you have great tractor pulliing over there. We also have garden tractors, mini rod clubs, and outlaw brush pulls here too. But your tractor pulling over there, has no competiton as far as attracting racers like we have here. We have far more choices for someone to get their horsepower needs.

Mind you, I LOVE seeing the european pulling videos. But lets take the blinders off and see the bigger picture.

It's not even a debate. Y'all's are comparing a bushel of apples to a friggin' orchard.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 21, 2019 07:35AM
Come on people,be fair,all of our ancestors came from over the pond,so keep that in mind.All of our technology came from the Renaissance,ALL OF IT STARTED THERE ! Mercedes,and many more have exotic engines and power like we have never seen. So puddle jumper,-- most likely never sat in a seat of a powerful unit,please be civil.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 21, 2019 10:25PM
Fine? - You’re thinking along the same line as myself. There’s needs to be a story of some sort that can be presented on occasion even at the track. Stories of interest. When you go to a sporting event (take your pick), what goes on during the down time? I’m pulling, when there’s breakage, swapping weigh in the sled, etc. what goes on? Now, I’m not opposed to cheerleaders on the track, lol, but a video played over the big screens w/audio throughout of “X” story would be nice. The larger pulls do a job of having banter between the announcers, Tomah, BG, NFMS where stories and opinions can fill time. But, if “x” pulling team were to be a reality show - you have tons of content! Imagine following, let’s say... the Bauer family.... think there’s not a story or two there that’s interesting? - Pulling, sled operations, Bauer Built, etc.? And there’s options! What if a program followed 3 or 4 different teams? A larger operation like, Boyd’s or Sheltons and their mods, a diesel group like - Shane Kellogg or Haisleys, a state level puller and then a brush puller?? All pulling but I’m completely different situations with completely different stories. Think bigger picture people!! And before all you naysayers start picking this apart, this is strictly to draw attention and try to increase popularity. The sport itself is still who can go the furthest, that won’t change. But in order for us to keep having places to hook, we got to think outside the box a little.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 22, 2019 11:38AM
Let's face it. We need pullers on both sides of the pond. There's several of us pullers who share setups, knowledge, etc back and forth. Can't leave out our mates down under either!

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 22, 2019 09:23PM
And Brazil!!

.. and somebody has to give the folks in India a sled!
[youtu.be]

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 22, 2019 01:47AM
False. Not even a little true... Europe has TONS of racing going on all over at all levels.

CP

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 22, 2019 03:07AM
Oh my god.. this wasn't meant as "Euro vs US" - this was meant as "some metrics don't matter" - as it's a lot about attitude and "how things are set up".

We would be THRILLED to have as much interest in engines and stuff as you guys have. This whole craze about making over 1000 hp with basically stock engines and 2000 $ Efi setups - there are thousands into that in the US - and in US pulling they are all illegal because of "too much technology".

"But just what Motorsports does Europe have"?

Let's start with this: Basically.. it's still all about "the ring" here:
[youtu.be]

Those who know "the ring" run the VLN challenge. There are LOTS of private guys in that series and that's what all the "media" is all about (besids F1):
[youtu.be]

In general:

I don't think there is much that you have that we don't... the question is the different scale of things on each other's side:

Your Rallye / open wheel / (motorcycle) speedway stuff better not be compared to what's going on over here.
Our Dragsters, Monster Trucks and oval on 4 wheels... exists but not on your scale.

Just to show you some of what you probably never got to see from Europe:

I leave out Formula 1, Superbike and that "industry" and "race circuit" stuff which is obvious, but will focus on some of the "private teams racing" and "what the ordinary people do". Motorsports that can be more or less compared to Pulling (or in what I would have ended up in if it wasn't for Pulling):
I will focus on the things that go on let's say about an hour around my home and the events we as Pullers "compete" with:

There is a lot of "legal" street racing (on tarmac) in lots of different classes.

Very popular here and with mostly private teams running are the hill climbs:
[youtu.be]

Various "tourist trophy" stuff with motorcycles (bring your own bike and we race them on our "normal roads circuit").
[youtu.be]

Then the "big shot" in my area with 6 permanent tracks within about an hour driving (the biggest dirt track around here holds 35,000 spectators - not saying they get that many anymore - but they used to) is motorcycle speedway:
[youtu.be]

This stuff actually is REALLY big in Eastern Europe, England and Skandinavia (talking league racing every different day of the week in a different country and on TV) and the GP series filling stadiums:
[youtu.be]
But even the EC series (below that) get's their 15 - 25 k spectators and TV time.
[youtu.be]

Or look how many turn up for a league race in Poland: [youtu.be] (one of 8 races within 200 mls that day).

Then, especially around here, there is "Auto Cross" (feels like every other town has a race in summer).
[youtu.be]
Along with it's more professional brother "Ralley Cross":
[www.youtube.com]

And the common stuff that happens all over the world:

Moto Cross here: [www.youtube.com]

Drag Racing is doing so / so:
[www.youtube.com] - that's the only "real" 1/4mls in Germany.
As for "Europe" there is of course also Santa Pod: [youtu.be] (where some of my buddies spent their weekends)

Our local drag race is a bit lame, as the stupid landing strip is too bumpy: [youtu.be]

Another pretty big thing here is truck racing (which I think is on a similar level in the US) - they get 100,000 spectators for a race:
[youtu.be]

We even do drifting, too!
[youtu.be]

And.. the thing here is. If you want to play hard.
[youtu.be] <- what they are doing there is completely legal. Why go to the track?
The downside:
[youtu.be]

Edited 17 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2019 08:22PM by Sascha.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 22, 2019 04:19AM
But back what I actually wanted to say:

I have traveled to three different continents for pulling so far and, living in Europe, I can also see how things are done differently in different countries.
There are areas where it works superb and others, that are just 150 mls away with similar circumstances but different "politics" that can't get it going.
I have seen how it works great with (what you would think) are shitty circumstances and not at all in what you would think is the perfect infrastructure.

The "worst" sentence I have ever heard and that kills it all is:
"They have a new idea that will all cost us a fortune if allowed. If they want to come play with us, they can do it the same way we do it" aka: "That's how we've always done it - that's how we will keep doing it". Yes you will... ON YOUR OWN!

Basically: If you expect "newbies" to do it all the same way as you did it, then it's clear that you have at least 10 more years of experience and are also 10 more years ahead in "this technology".
If people are supposed to start, they must see a way "of I can do/beat that" within the next 2 - 3 years.
Very few will think that - if they have to catch up on what you've piled up in parts and experience in the past 10 years.
You have to give "new people" new options they can actually afford.

I would have NEVER entered this, if (like I have seen before and combining it all here) the "beginners class" won't allow me to use the (stock) hydro lifters, using the ignition that's on there, makes me "buy custom made stuff that costs me a fortune and that's been outdated in real life for the last 20 years (bias tires, "all mechanical" injections, points or distributers in ignitions, no intercoolers) or the guys in the pits getting mad at me in the morning, if we dared to have a drink in front of the trailer in the pits at 1 am and there is nothing going on besides the actual competition (young folks want to have a fun (music, party, drinks) and not go to sleep at 10 pm in their free time).

Fans don't want to see the same thing year after year after year and just a new scoop or a new paint job every 5 years - unless the action on the track is absolutely mind-blowing with super close contact/competition between at least two drivers or vehicles - which in Pulling we don't have.

If you get all those ducks in a row, then it doesn't matter what professional background your fans have, if it's tractors, cars or tricycles or if there are rides and hog races next to the track...

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2019 01:36AM by Sascha.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 22, 2019 08:10AM
"Media Relations", we definately are on the same page. And yet we do not know who one another is. Thanks for taking time to further re-"fine" what our thoughts are of doing a much better job of public relations, which helps keep the valuable fans and sponsors involved and frees up their boredom time.

And then we also have "Sascha" who is always promoting what 'media relations' is all about. Thank you Sascha for your continued valuable contributions!!!

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 22, 2019 08:49PM
I am not too sure my last ramble was contributing much to media.

I do have some thoughts about it though:

Regular TV is dying. Young people, these days don't watch TV anymore.
As you know - they are "busy" with their cell phones - often watching motor stuff on youtube channels.

The number of followers in these channels (and several videos up in the millions of viewers):

6.3 million on "Motor Trend"
6.7 million on Top Gear
5.6 mio on Chris Fix
3 mio on Hoonigans

(the biggest one over here is JP Performance with 1.8 mio)

Then the "racing channels":

2.6 on 1320 video (They are catering to our target group - [www.youtube.com] covering "Race stuff")
1 Million on "Racing Channel"
Or what about [www.youtube.com] - Finnegan's garage? He shows how he builds stuff and the stories around his racing activities - even a damn race boat. And half a million people watch it

Or we have this one channel here, where 100,000 people watch how they build a 1000 hp V6 Audi.
[www.youtube.com] Really into the details!

Saying young people don't do motorsports anymore? Then WTH is going on here?

[www.youtube.com] ?
[www.youtube.com] ?

Where is Tractor Pulling covered in those, so that "the young folks" get to see what we're doing?
Where are we showing them how to build a tractor puller?
What are we going to do about it?

Do we invite guys like 1320 to our events or workshops and give them some inside? And when I say "insides" I don't mean "bragging on how much every part has cost". Like I have seen in the past when one association actually got the biggest motor channel of their area to a pull and then it was all used to basically tell them a 900 hp hot farm costs 150,000 and its all "custom build" (and extremely expensive). What a motivation for their viewers to come and take part. The only motivation I got out of that was to seriously worry about the willy size of that guy.
We better show them - in detail - how it's done! And not tell them too much about the costs. They'll figure this out when they will "only have to spend another 10 grand to finish this".

But instead, what do we do?
How are we treating the guys that actually create youtube content about pulling?
I know lots of cases where they are not allowed to film and - god beware - put stuff online, because people could actually see it and there might be fewer people through the gate. Or there is this "local" TV channel doing some 20min episode stuff "later in the year" that, on a good day, will be watched by 100,000k people from the couch they never leave anyways and costs a damn fortune to produce.

How many options do we have for people who like to screw around with the engines they know, like the LS, Coyote or Toyota JZ and put them into something that actually drives?
The price for Fox Body Mustangs has gone through the roof because kids have seen on youtube how they can build 9 - 8-second drag cars for less than 20,000 $ with them (and then take them out on the streets to race their buddies and in the worst-case crash into the crowds because there is no safety).
How about we show them how to build a 1000 - 1500 hp mini rod instead and actually have a place where they can legally compete - especially for those where there is no drag strip anywhere near?

As long as we do nothing about it, we shouldn't complain about not having enough interest in media and not being shown to our target group of young people, that's so desperately needed to keep this going.

These are just my thoughts about "media"...

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2019 12:49PM by Sascha.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 23, 2019 03:01AM
I agree completely, very well stated !!!

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 22, 2019 10:42AM
Puddle Jumper:

I am sick and tired of elitists like you who list off motorsports in the U.S. and leave off demo derby. Does it have to be a high dollar sport for you to mention it? Where do you get off? I wish people like you weren't blind to the big picture.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 23, 2019 09:36AM
The problem lays in the powers of the pulling organizations. They leave all of the advertising up to the pullers, promoters, and pray like hell that their sponsors can cover the TV costs. Mind you some organizations are trying. Others are making stupid remarks on social media, mocking their audience.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 27, 2019 02:30AM
This is what needs to happen: Guys like this getting into Pulling!
[www.youtube.com]

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 02, 2019 02:29PM
Puts a girl in the thumbnail and then next video doubles, then triples, then quadruples, then it multiplies. Clickbait! Now adding 25,000 subs a day. Going to speak to my wife...hold on a second this talk won't take but two weeks and I will have it won!!!

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 10, 2019 01:09PM
Anyone have suggestions for inexpensive editing software to do this? Windows based using GoPro and cell phone video.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 10, 2019 02:34PM
I use Nero 10. I bought it about 7 years ago for about $60. I had no editing experience (still really don't) but it is really easy to use.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 11, 2019 02:52PM
For tech savy guys and gals out there: Black Magic Davinci Resolve. Completely free unless you want to do super-advanced stuff

iMovie is free on iDevices and for splicing footage, it is incredible.
GoPro has its own, but it is for splicing highlights of footage. It doesn't tell a story accurately.
Windows Moviemaker is hokey but if you are on Windows, it is free.

Now here are advanced tips. You can stream to your Facebook pages directly using tools like OBS also free. And if you have say a run, ride on, interview, you can play one right after the other. Then you become like a broadcast engineer switching feeds to make your video. With OBS, you can put sponsors logos in the corner, do a Beer Money type show. And you can do this all with pre-recorded footage. Want to restream your season, super easy to do and no real video editing involved.

Video Editing is not hard. I have learned it all from YouTube directly. I spend $50 a month on Adobe Premiere and I get every tool for that but I think they have Premiere for $9.99 a month. It has become the industry standard and is used in more TV stations than you would believe. TV Stations also use AVID, and Final Cut and they are expensive, but they too are industry standard.

So, if you slow-mo anything, feel free to drop in some dramatic final battle type music, but keep in mind, reps for artists are always listening for their client's songs. YouTube and Facebook both have free to use tracks if you have an account in either one. Best I can tell tracks can be pulled from one system and uploaded to the other. I use them mostly for sound effects. Every time I have used music in clips, I have been heard it big time for putting songs over running engines. But over slow-mo is okay.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV November 28, 2019 11:51PM
So as a guy who films at the highest levels in Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina I can tell you that it isn't the guys filming per se. If I asked a promoter to cover me to film and edit all footage, there is no way they could justify that expense I have been told. My rate for just me is $200 a night and $100 more if they want their sponsor's logos in it. Some guy's bills are just $200, some are upwards of $800. I make the money I make on the editing for YouTube and Facebook. It is decent as we make our bills. I love you guys, but I will not go broke trying to cover the sport.

I approached RFD about putting a show on in 2014 after many of my pullers thought we had something. They told me to run a 52-week show with a 30-minute time slot, it would be $125,000. Meaning you would need that amount from sponsors just to get a show on the air. If a keen businessman is running an operation, you know you will need 2 to 3 times that amount to cover travel for a team, editors, voice and interview talent which is a must for a TV caliber show. Now, you can't film without a league. And if you are league you can't just buy exposure. You would shudder at the cost of a local TV crew to come out and film your event. Motorsport photographers are not the same as magazine and wedding photographers and the only guy I heard that tried to sue the NTPA and the Hurt Virginia tractor pull is banned from all NTPA sanctioned events. The same goes for video guys, we are not the same as traditional TV crews. We have all the gear they do, but we make the same show you have seen for 40 years. I added a couple of camera angles and pullers lost their minds. Fans hated it, "I want the end of the line shot!". I have always employed a 45-second rule per puller. Some guys just do not spool up quickly at all and they may get a tad more and some guys just stand on it and they will get less. Want more air time? Give me a thumbs up or finger guns anything I can use!

I have scaled our outfit to be ready for TV if and when it ever calls on us. The onscreen talent part is the big problem that and my big fat butt getting in front of the camera and conducting interviews. The other part is a rant I have had on pullers for years. Know who you are and be prepared to talk about your stuff, "Where you from?", "How much fuel you consume on a run?", "How'd the track feel out there?", "Did that bare ass guy at the end of the track mooning affect you at all?", "Is there anybody on your team or sponsors you would like to thank? [for winners only]" I will ask you everything except how much dadgum horsepower you making. Nobody cares to know and quite frankly it is nobody's business. That is a question that will inevitably make the cost of pulling escalate to unreachable levels. And pullers there is only one answer, "NOT ENOUGH!" Wow, this is a rant. I have been told to have beer on hand, ice cream, chocolate, anything to help the guys to loosen up. If you like pulling, you should be able to speak passionately about the sport, your vehicle, and the team. Have a buddy get out a hairbrush, get in front of a mirror, and go to town with these questions I just gave you.

I have ZERO, 0, nada, none, zilch, league backing. I just don't. I work directly with promoters to make sure events are well attended, filmed, and edited so we can better promote events going forward. My promoters do not mind the pay because every event associated with me thrives. We cannot control the weather, but if it is nice out, butts are in seats. For every 1,000 fans, you add $15,000 to the take. If also helps the food and gear vendors at events. The key to attendance is cash. You have to spend to make plain and simple. I don't know how much anybody else spends, but I spend somewhere in the $8,000 to $10,000 range every year. That adds to my events, my page, my following so that events keep growing in my area. That is money spent by me and my promoters. And that gets us a 1 million reach a week. And we are in the offseason. I host the Dragon Motorsports website (dragonpulls.com). They book me for their larger events and then 35-45 events pick me up for the remainder of the season. I have guys call me all the time asking for me to film thinking I only film Dragon. Those events just happen to be anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours away but I am always up for a drive especially if I have not been booked that weekend. Want a guy or gal to film your league? Film it and send it in, we are like America's Funniest Videos (AFV), except we pay people monthly to film based on how well their videos do. Our rates are 50% to film, 75% to film and edit.

Back to TV. I have been advised by several TV insiders after learning about the RFD deal, that I should "just film", and "don't you dare spend a thing", and "become a force and you will never have to spend money to get these guys on TV". I will have to see significant profits to even consider turning over a show to a Network. I will use that platform to sell gear, calendars, shirts, hats because just like pullers, this sport takes everything we have to cover it to the best way I know.

The events that are covered for TV overseas, are under lock and key basically where it is frowned upon to post any clips of events. I have seen posters and Ads stateside that have said no filming because somebody's butt is on the line to sell TV shows, Live Streams, or DVDs and I get that. But the only thing better than one stream of revenue is 5. But sadly many guys film and do nothing for the leagues, events, and teams. And think about the sponsor that paid a Platinum level sponsorship of $5000 for an event and then not be adorned on a random YouTube channel. How pissed off would that make you? Wanna help pulling to grow, take care of sponsors, meat!

Everybody wants to be on TV until they realize how much it costs.

Will Whitt
703-626-4131
will@willwhitt.com
WWPTV Video

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2019 08:12AM by WWProductions.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 02, 2019 05:33AM
A couple of notes on this really good pulling based thread. Great to see so many great ideas and some huge misconceptions.
OLD fan--dollars from TV must flow down to the pullers. Its the basic "new" revenue stream. In a perfect world, SOLD OUT TV commercials and full class sponsors, would yield about $20-25K to purse or end of season money. That's roughly a $50,000 per year sponsorship of a class which would give the sponsor a lot of bang for their buck. RFD TV 150 thirty second TV commercials, scoreboard videos at 18 National Events, booth space at select NTPA Grand/Super Nationals, passes, parking, event signage and Puller Magazine ads, website logos, etc.

Ionia Free Fair this upcoming season will drop from a NTPA Grand National event to a Michigan (local) event. Some Fairs like my once beloved Nebraska State Fair have cut half of their staff to accommodate lost income. A large part of the promotion game is reading the local market and adjusting your event expenses year to year.

Got to remember that even a good UTube/Facebook type video is not monetized the same way as a National TV Channel. A network TV outlet has standards of production quality: good audio, lighting, FOCUS, graphics, tech specs. etc. Because of that fact and a loyal viewer base they can charge a good price for their air time.
WWPT's comments are good, not sure of the negative 125,000 comment. TV Production costs about 120,000 - 150,000 for a year of 30 minute weekly TV airtime. Thats just the time to show the program. Audio, Video, editing, graphics, commercial sales, travel costs, can add 25000 -100,000 per "season" and those are hard costs.
That is the reason why if a NETWORK is shooting an event, then no one else can shoot the event, even if its for utube or social media use. Most public events allow your camera phone and your personal use. Cameras with long lens and video are prohibited and be prepared for that future event for you to leave your cell phone at the gate. What to you think is the UNIVERSE of PULLING FANS in North America and then the world? What's a sponsorship cost for a big sponsor? Happy Holidays!

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 02, 2019 08:32AM
We both know this is not a perfect world. I edited my post to ensure clarity about the $125,000 figure. That is what I was told by the powers that back in 2014. I am overly optimistic and think there are good days ahead for us, pulling, fans, and Motorsports as a whole assuming there are no bans on Racing in the near future.

Happy Holidays to you too Doc!

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 02, 2019 11:55AM
If I had to chose, MAVTV has an exceptionally better pulling program than what I see on RFD. I'm getting tired of hearing the excuses of how putting pulling on TV is expensive. If you can't afford to put it on TV in High Def, have educated and excitable personalities, have puller interviews, pit reporters, etc. Then don't just do the job halfway.

The 1979 Daytona has better quality coverage than most NTPA shows unfortunately.

BTW I'm not biased towards any pulling group over another. It's 2019 and there's only one national pulling club that seems to be making an effort from a fans perspective.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 02, 2019 12:26PM
1979 Daytona -- your dead on !!!! I agree completely !!! You'll have a hard time convincing some die hard NTPA fans an announcers !!!!

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 02, 2019 01:24PM
Ionia died for two reasons.

1. The State cut back on funds that went to fairs
2. Because of limited funds I guess they brought in classes people weren’t interested in
A. The classes have gotten worse and worse, and it is not worth the time or money anymore.
B. It is said but Michigan has no GN events anymore. Used to have two guaranteed and maybe a 3rd
Ionia at a GN level is not worth going to unless the “show” gets better. Watch out all the rest of you, Ionia used to be a big thing. Big time tractor pulling is dying a death of a thousand cuts.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 02, 2019 02:13PM
Michigan will have some big PPL hooks in the future. There’s a decent handful of Michigan pullers that have some leverage. And once the WPI loyalists realize they have nowhere to run in the state. Things will make a big swing.

In regards to the TV stuff. You’d be amazed at the number of folks I talk to that love their Lucas Oil Racing TV app. Apparently it’s a drug lol.

Carry on...

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 02, 2019 10:05PM
I’m not sure how much any of you notice, but the series that’s broadcast on MAV-TV has a major backer from Lucas Oil. Also, if one pays attention, a majority of the racing events and content have similar announcers, graphics, and sponsors. Now why is that? Because when you join up, you’re not just sponsoring the PPL, you’re hitching yourself to alot of content that’s broadcast over multiple networks. Not just MAV-Tv, but you see on NBCSN,CBSSN, NBC,CBS, Lucas Oil TV, and there may be others. - THATS ALOT OF EYES! So, back to Doc’s point, how much $$ flow you think is going into that production - a one hour show at that? You have to have some sort of reality check here. You do with what you have. I’m just happy to see NTPA on television weekly and truthfully, many shows on RFD aren’t produced as well as the AP Production show. I give them credit for evolving some cover the seasons with different camera angles and interview segments. But be realistic, it takes money to grow and it takes people with lots of energy to go find it.

Now to events themselves. Does American pulling need to become a European style event with fireworks and rock music, etc? I don’t think so, BUT, something needs to be in place to “entertain” more. There’s a lot of downtime/slow time at pulling events. Between hooks, between classes, etc. This is where you lose your audiences. In this day and age, go to any sporting event and watch what goes on in the downtime. There’s never a dull moment. That’s where we are today. People want to be constantly entertained. Do we have to go all out an every event, no, but this is where creative minds need to come in and make the pulling event a competition AND a show. I’ve watched a lot of NHRA this year. I seen a lot of empty seats in those stands. They have downtime as we do. Who remembers the big hay days of pulling when you went to a big indoor pull over a three day weekend and you could meet various tv personalities and they’d have four wheeler racing or a monster truck crush cars? Ideas like that bring people to an event who might not have been coming. Yes, that costs more. But EVERYONE reading this KNOWS. You have to SPEND money to MAKE money. Evolve and grow or be left behind.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 03, 2019 01:14AM
And this is where PPL has excelled. If you are a puller on their side, you get exposed to several different fan-bases.

On the RFD side, its the same farm folk, horse people on a weekly basis. (Don't fight me on this, my old company used to be a sponsor for horse shows)

Be honest with yourself, the PPL events and MAVTV shows are getting better everyday. However, until the WPI swamped is drained, we are stuck with what we have.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 03, 2019 02:22AM
I do not think anyone wants to go to a Euro-style show in the states. But we have dirt and each competitor deserves the best chance at the same track as the first hook of a given class. I do not think anyone wants to go to pavement pulling! ANYONE!!! Kids have been playing in dirt since age 3 and now grown men and women still get the chance to do it every Saturday night.

I have been to shows where fans pay $10 and get 40 hooks in 3 hours. The show was eventful with four or five different classes and each show is different. The thing that makes the show move is the officials getting vehicles lined up and staged, on the track, hooked up, chain tightened, and ready to go as soon as the track is cleared. Newer events will always take longer as you overdo the tracks. If you feel the need to do that, spend more on prep vehicles. Most shows have sound curfews. If you have an official moving the show along, you have something that rivals on the most attention-holding event possible. Throw in some Mega Trucks, a Tow Truck, Lime Spreader, a junky pickup with Dick Cepeks and give the fans something to cheer about. I have been to other shows where you pay $15 for 80 hooks over 6 hours. People will bug out after 10 PM always! Get the stars on the track first, get them on the road, and then bring in your street trucks and local farm classes last. Or start them early like a pre-show.

NTPA on RFD, I love the show. It features my buddies from Virginia and the region. I don't watch much pulling other than what is put on YouTube and even then it is a video here and there just to see how my other video friends are doing. I loved the screenplay of the Outlaw group but didn't care for the angles or persistent camera blur. Out of focus video for a professional crew seems beyond my comprehension especially editing in post. My wife noticed that and she doesn't watch pulling. I have heard they lost a lot of money on that deal. I know there seemed to be only one personality that was larger than life, but I do remember it had some great personal moments with other pullers too. You only need a few seconds of pit walk through to get a sense of the atmosphere. But again, I wasn't vested in any pullers in that league. I hope that WPI and PPL continue to do well as it holds hope for others that can one day have similar shows on air.

The thing I tell these pullers is, "You are the stars. You are not bumpkins, and if you are that sells [read Moonshiners cast for further proof]. Your personality will attract new viewers who can relate to you. Trust me and how I will edit you." And then usually I give them the Cole Trickle to Harry Hogge spiel, "Just give me a chance, I won't let you down."

I know you have to spend money to make money. I spend up to $10K a year to promote myself and this sport. When we get our shot at TV, we will not miss. I will empty the barrels. I have worked hard to make this as exciting as humanly possible attracting new fans to events and leagues. I have worked very hard with the sponsors that I do have and am sure those relationships will continue to grow and that model will serve us well as we venture into new avenues.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 03, 2019 02:56PM
Ok, PPL PPL, but pulling still sucks in Michigan, at least at the GN level. So if Ionia goes region, at least they will have more then 20 hooks. Charlotte is a good pull

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 04, 2019 11:05AM
Doc, you had a lot of good years. But in all seriousness, this is why there is usually a limit as to how long TV personalities are on air. Let's take Darrell Waltrip for example. Fox let him go because "Boogity" had run its course. DW is a heckuva nice guy I'm sure. But he doesn't draw in new/younger fans anymore. (And he won't be replaced due to FOX budget cuts).

I'm not saying that you and Gregg do a bad job. But its time for new personalities on RFD-TV. Especially if this "new" NTPA is going to make changes like we all have been promised. If you want new/younger fans, you need someone in their own age range (20s-30s). I'm sure there are several younger pullers who would take a shot at filling in. But watching a few "older guys" on TV isn't that appealing to me anymore. To me this is all just another reason why pulling is in a rut.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 04, 2019 11:15AM
If pulling had a young version of Steve Evans it would be so much better !!! Steve was the man back in the day

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 04, 2019 05:08AM
Ionia Fan: I would disagree that the competition level at Ionia Free Fair had dwindled. I announced that event for the past several years and the level of competition was very good. The points races tightened up at Ionia. The alternation of TWD and FWD every other year was going to work. Super Farms had great close hooks. I will withhold any comments regarding NTPA GN classes in Michigan due to the release of a preliminary schedule this weekend at the NTPA Annual Banquet/Convention. It has been my experience that Michigan events have been a great showcase for NTPA pulling and will continue to do so. It is my understanding the the Ionia Free Fair will be a LOCAL pull and not an NTPA State or National event, again that maybe answered this weekend.
In a previous post I said production cost of of 120 to 150 k, that should be the cost of the TIME BUY. What you are paying a network for the TIME to broadcast your program, that usually doesn't include ANY type of cost to PRODUCE the show.
I hope that this year the production of the live event will include some more exciting elements. The biggest drawback to the live show is the downtime between hooks.
So two tracks well maintained are the big plus for live event production. Keep in mind that an indoor show has some great advantages over outdoor shows, because of the close proximity of the crowd to the competition vehicles. Sit inside for a four to six hour indoor show? Not likely to keep families or kids for that long. Hot Wheels is doing a monster truck tour that has shows only TWO HOURS LONG! I hope that the days of long hour shows are diminishing, however, for many promoters the number of hooks is the benchmark for success. Again the biggest down fall is time between hooks. You can't launch t-shirts every two minutes. The level of competition, the close order of finish and the personality of the puller are the areas that keep fans coming back.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 04, 2019 06:04AM
Doc Riley
The biggest drawback to the live show is the downtime between hooks.

Off topic, but this is exactly why having two tracks pull at the exact same time should never happen (ie - Bowling Green).

Aside from safety concerns, having the vehicles alternate fills the gap when one of the tracks is being groomed as Jake indicated on another thread last summer.

Re: Who gets the money for pulling on TV December 06, 2019 01:12AM
You are right two tracks should always alternate. This doesn't happen very often and it really is just a fluke. Event operations at BG don't send two at the same time. When it does happen its usually that both vehicles end up being GREEN at the same time. Which is bound to happen.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,576, Posts: 229,605, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,857.

Our newest member BadHabit2