Turbo plumbing December 02, 2019 01:47AM
Case 504 3000rpm 550cc, cam, 2.6 turbo no water no intercooler. Have 2 intake manifold options 1 being the stock 504 manifold where a pipe off the turbo runs straight across and 90* down to the centre of the manifold or 2 the stock 970 401 manifold there would be 2 90* bends with give or take 18” of piping in between then air enters a whole on the end of the manifold at the front of it. Wonder whether long or short route is best. Thanks in advance.

Re: Turbo plumbing December 02, 2019 03:16AM
some of my friends say that longer is best for lower rpms

Re: Turbo plumbing December 02, 2019 02:14PM
That is what my wife says too.

Re: Turbo plumbing December 04, 2019 04:58AM
Longer gives you more volume. Helps you stay on top of the turbo at the end of the track.

Re: Turbo plumbing December 04, 2019 07:35AM
I do not understand, the volume in the pipe would be a couple of cubic feet, the air flow is hundreds of cubic feet per minute, so how can the volume in the piping have much of an impact?

Rich

Re: Turbo plumbing December 04, 2019 08:40AM
You are right. Correctly tuned runners will give more velocity which will help low end torque. Cross over tube length will not affect low end torque and as you said volume effect is minimal. Smooth curve, short and as little accidents as possible (no sharp bends, sharp changes in diameter, weld bumps etc) in the cross over tube is what you want.

Re: Turbo plumbing December 05, 2019 02:24AM
Lets put it this way.. Why do they make small and big air compressor tanks? Smalls ones have to run a lot more often to keep up with demand. Making more work for the air compressor. The larger tanks don't have to do that because they have more volume at the same pressure giving the air compressor a chance to keep up. Same concept for your turbo. Yes its on a way smaller scale but when your talking only needing inches to win or just a little more out of your turbo to stay on top for a couple of more feet!!! 1 1/2 times of the cubic inch of the motor is ideal for piping.

Re: Turbo plumbing December 05, 2019 08:50AM
The guy was asking about the cross over pipe... longer will only induce more restriction and therefore reduce the actual amount of pressure going to the intake runner. And to the port... and into the cylinder... Bernoulli.

If you're talking about the intake manifold itself, your air compressor analogy is correct. A bigger can will act as a reserve to some extent, but not over a few feet. Let's take a 500 ci engine at 3000 rpm. One intake every other stroke is 750 000 ci/min . Divided by 231 ci/gal = 3247 gal per min... a can 6"dia X 36 in long is 4.4gal. The engine will empty the can in 0.08 sec.

Just for the fun of it, let's assume the tractor is traveling at 15mph = 22 feet per second, the can will allow the tractor to go an extra 1.76 ft. Thus your argument holds. Although at the end of the run, the tractor is not traveling that fast, and can pressure will drop as it's being emptied, you may be able to gain the extra couple inches to win the class!

Re: Turbo plumbing December 04, 2019 01:24PM
Use the turbo intake manifold

Re: Turbo plumbing December 05, 2019 10:09AM
Thanks, any suggestions on pipe size?

Re: Turbo plumbing December 05, 2019 03:56AM
Why not gut out a intercooler manifold off a 2670 or 4690 and use that? Air flow will come in top and distribute out evenly to all cylinders.

Re: Turbo plumbing December 05, 2019 10:13AM
I have one I welded up and was planning on doing that but I heard over 60psi they blow apart.

Re: Turbo plumbing December 05, 2019 12:06PM
Not sure how many PSI, but I saw one come apart a couple of years ago. Probably 80 PSI, lasted almost one pass.

Re: Turbo plumbing December 05, 2019 12:31PM
We had one blow apart at 45 psi. Reinforced another one with tie bolts and steel strips on out side. It has held 65 psi for several years.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,573, Posts: 229,600, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,057, Posts: 225,854.

Our newest member BadHabit2