Tractor Pulling Colleges January 16, 2020 01:40AM
I am going to be graduating High School this spring. I am very interested in tractor pulling, it's a pretty big passion of mine.
I would like to know if there are any 2 year colleges with some sort of tractor pulling focus.

Looking for options, thanks in advance.

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 16, 2020 02:08AM
Hawkeye Community College in Waterloo, IA built a John Deere Hot Farm tractor in their diesel mechanics program. It should be out this season hopefully.

---

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 17, 2020 12:13AM
There is no college that offers a program based on pulling. The reason is simple.....money.....you can't make a living pulling. You can make a living building for other people. SO with that said...What you need to look for is a program that is using pulling to keep students in pulling. Hawkeye teck ag diesel kids did help there instructor build a tractor....with a lot of help from Joe Busch....(good team there)...but this is only a 1 time deal. If you want to learn pulling, go to school in a related field, and get a job with someone that does the building. There is 40-4 year schools that do the quarter scale pulling thing.....some of those schools have really good advisory boards. Iowa State has a real good one. I think Indian hill had something also.....good luck

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 17, 2020 12:38AM
I agree, pulling is money spender, not a money maker unless you're building for others. With UNOH having such a big racing program but no pulling, I didn't know if there were other colleges that offered a program for pulling similar to UNOH. I have seen the quarter scale tractors, I just didn't know if their was a college that did the big tractors too.

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 16, 2020 02:39AM
somewhere in Illinois ran a couple naturally asp farm stocks out of a college/trade school,im sure you could see the school id on them by watching the videos on youtube,i think it is the illiani state pullers ??

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 16, 2020 03:28AM
My daughter went to University of wisconsin-platteville and there was a pulling club that was into trucks. Not sure if they were into building them

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 16, 2020 04:03AM
Parkland college in Champaign,Il.

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 16, 2020 04:13AM
The kids at Cal Poly in San Luis Obsipo,CA have been involved in pulling for many years..They built and pull a mod tractor called Mustang Fever with an Allison in it...The students take turns driving it..

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 16, 2020 07:26AM
Modesto Junior College in California is a good 2 year college with a pulling team.

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 16, 2020 10:55AM
Does the University of Northwest Ohio have something like that?

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 16, 2020 11:25AM
They didn't when I was there, but that was 15 years ago.

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 16, 2020 12:43PM
Pulling teams at colleges ?

That's interesting, never heard of something like that going on at a college.....lol

What courses would one take that's related to pulling , especially if the college is paying for it ?

Darrel A.

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 16, 2020 01:13PM
Pretty sure the one at Parkland is tied to their diesel mechanics classes.

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 16, 2020 03:27PM
I don't really know. I guess I was thinking partly diesel/engine stuff, with some chassis and driveline components.

My main thing is I want to be able to do a lot of the work on my own tractor (if and when I build one).

Just put the topic out there to see if there was anything some of the other people in the pulling world knew of.

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 16, 2020 02:45PM
They did have one at University of Northwestern Ohio but it was a pulling truck. That was about 8-10 years ago not sure about it anymore.

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 16, 2020 03:23PM
There have been pulling garden tractors on display at the National Farm Machinery Show that were put together by engineering students. Not sure but I thought it was NKU.

S'no Farmer

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 16, 2020 11:27PM
There are a bunch of schools that participate in the Quarter Scale tractors like you saw at NFMS. They have a competition for them every June in Peoria, Il. Very good program, lots more to it than the pulling portion of the competition. My son was on the Illinois team a few years back. He said one of the big similarities to tractor pulling was their team slogan- “Powered by gasoline, designed by alcohol.”

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 16, 2020 03:30PM
Mr. Shanklin,
I spoke with a rep for their college yesterday. They have multiple dirt track cars and drag cars, but no truck or tractor pulling vehicles. I was hoping that they would, but I do get that many of the components on those vehicles are similar (but not identical) to pulling vehicles.

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 17, 2020 11:37AM
Many colleges and universities have student run organizations that participate in the ASABE 1/4 Scale Tractor Competition. Some have 2 year programs and many have 4 year programs.Sorry, its not a full blown tractor pulling competition but it's not just build a tractor and run it.. There is a design portion, sales and marketing portion, manufacturing portion, etc... so you can fully experience how to turn a large pile of cash into a much smaller pile of cash.....Smiling
These competitions are sponsored, judged and attended by professionals working for many of the major corporations supporting the industry: Deere/Case/CAT/etc..
Info is here:
[www.asabe.org]

Good Luck!!!!

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 17, 2020 03:25AM
SUNY Cobleskill In NYS has a fantastic Ag Engineering program that you can focus on Power And Machinery. There is no specific Tractor pull class but many pulls in the area and quite a few students have tractors. Worth looking into.
My suggestion is to find a solid school where you get a good education and credits transfer so you have the option to further your education. Set your sights out 5+10 years and where you want to be in life, ensure you are taking the correct steps early on to get you there. That way in 10 years you can afford to tractor pull or whatever interest you may have instead of working 24/7 just to get ahead. Good luck!

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 17, 2020 03:34AM
Just a suggestion that I haven't seen posted. Think about being a machinist. Everything from the chassis to the block, heads, turbos, pump. It's all machined. Obviously it won't be easy at all, but it's the biggest part of current truck and tractor pulling. Just something to think about.

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 17, 2020 04:28AM
As the Summer '19 pulling season ended, I attended a 'brush' pull. It had 2 classes of sanctioned Illinois Stock Pullers Ass'n Naturally Aspirated classes.

"Parkland College Diesel Power" had 3 entries in each class of 10 entries. Each Parkland tractor was in prime exterior appearance. Unlike one of its class competitors (which never helps the image of the pulling sport).

Black Stripe IH 966 "Late Assignment". (Cleanest burning engine of the 3).
JD 6030 "Teacher's Pet" which has 3 air cleaners protruding through the left side engine side shield.
White 2-180 "Final Exam" was driven by a young woman that was easily right at home on this tractor. She was calm and so easily handled the extreme smoke belcher.

I got my chuckles as each tractor has a "Certified Dirty Idle" decal. LOL!

The 6030 won this Nappanee, IN (season concluding) pull in the 12,000 and finished 2nd in season points of 20 hooks. In the 10,000, it placed 2nd here and won the class championship.
She (White 2-180) finished the season as 2nd in 10 and 3rd in 12, according to ISPA website.

Re: Tractor Pulling Colleges January 22, 2020 03:19AM
As the young lady that drove the White 2-180 down the track at the "brush" pull that Dave Dann mentioned I can tell you that Parkland College is a school that does have tractor pulling and some of the classes you are looking for such as an engines class, electrical, fuels, powertrains, hydraulics, and brakes and suspensions. Mark Ziegler, head instructor of the Diesel program at Parkland and would be more then happy to talk to you about it. Mark's office number is (217) 373-3768. As a student in the program I highly recommend it. With having the normal diesel program and the Case New Holland program we are able to get new equipment to work on. Another great thing about the program is that the class sizes are small and there are three great instructors here to help you get the most out of your education.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,580, Posts: 229,613, Members: 3,320.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,861.

Our newest member Fechtner Racing