Close call mod class February 12, 2020 01:48PM
A driveshaft just broke off one of the Longs mods and landed on a PS fender putting a big dent in it. Close call

Re: Close call mod class February 12, 2020 02:06PM
Looks like a big chunk went into the stands, luckily no one hurt

Re: Close call mod class February 12, 2020 04:24PM
That piece hit a rail in the upper deck and bent it just inches from a guys head. Very bad probably new safety regs coming from this.

Re: Close call mod class February 12, 2020 04:36PM
Mickey Shorter would be the one to speak with. He had a front row seat to watch it unfold. Julia, Mac Daddy was in close proximity ducking for cover. Did the roll cage on the Deere next to the seats get a dent in it from the impact of the drive shaft?

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 01:44AM
It put a nice dent in the fender of the Corn Fed tractor.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 02:44AM
kinda insane there is no steel loop or two ,,,,,,,,,, with two engines multiplied power,,,,,,, as compared to 4x4 truck driveshaft , that is under the body (kinda) and closer to ground

Re: Close call mod class February 12, 2020 03:45PM
I wouldn't know how heavy that shaft is, but if it broke a few feet further down track, that could have been terrible!!

Re: Close call mod class February 12, 2020 04:50PM
I'm extremely thankful that we avoided a serious indecent on either side of the track. I'd expect talk of driveshaft tethers in the future.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Video of Incident February 12, 2020 05:00PM
[www.youtube.com]

Re: Close call mod class February 12, 2020 07:46PM
The turbines (Gardner Stone) were forced to support long drive shafts 30 years ago. Guess it's time for the V8's to catch up.

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 12:41AM
That is about as close as you get without having a major incident! Thank god that it didn't end worse!

The older you get the more you realize. Were not here for a long time were here for a good time!

Beer

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 01:11AM
I am honestly not sure what you do to prevent even with teathers it would still come off with all of that force I heard that the gearbox locked up and sheared the drive shaft off

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 01:59AM
Yould have to put a cage or shroud around the u joints at both ends and then also tether or shroud the middle of the shaft to contain all that force if ever were to happen again

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 02:05AM
won't be the last time, and more to come I'm sure with more power and Speed, **it happens !!!!!!

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 02:07AM
There are no u joints in that shaft, its a solid steel shaft with a sliding coupler on both ends.

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 03:04AM
And the entire shaft and couplers are fully enclosed in shielding

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 04:29AM
did not look shielded in video nor did it act solid, the gentleman that picked it up did so very easily for it to be solid.and it jumped off the fender of the tractor it hit and rebounded twenty feet, solid would have hit and stayed there.Just my observations from video,the shaft is bent and kinked, not something a solid shaft could do. does not look like any shields flew when destruction happened.

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 04:42AM
You raise a great point about the shaft bending the way it did.

Watched that video many times and I see absolutely NO shielding let go there (aside from clutch can damage). The nice shiny steel appearance of the shaft was consistent right from launch until it let go. It is difficult to believe that there is no shield required here. Component SS/PS chassis requires the input/drive shaft to be completely encapsulated in a shield if I recall correct.

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 05:24AM
What they show being picked up was the shield, not the shaft. That is what hit the pro stock fender.

Re: Close call mod class February 16, 2020 12:19PM
What happened to the actual drive shaft? Where did it go?

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 05:35AM
Photo shows their other tractor, both are built the same. Clearly shows solid shielding.

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 05:43AM
Why was the video deleted?

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 05:56AM
Bad publicity

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 06:34AM
Maybe because the video had NTPA in the title when they have nothing to do with the NFMS. Just guessing...

Re: Close call mod class February 15, 2020 05:36AM
This piece flew into the upper deck. Section 317. Hit the rail. Wow!! So lucky

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 05:50AM
ppmengineering
And the entire shaft and couplers are fully enclosed in shielding
And in this case it all became flying shrapnel.

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 06:27AM
While it appears there is a solid tube over the drive shaft that may be the problem. If the outer tube is only a might bigger ID than the drive shaft OD as soon as the drive shaft breaks or gets a little out of balance it may actually lock itself to the protective tube. If that happens there is monumental horsepower going into the protective tube. The small bolts I see on the ends of that tube could be twisted off by a 100 hp tractor. That drive line protection needs to be a different shape than the turning part it is protecting. Make that protective tube triangle, square hexagon any thing but round. Also use a lot of bracing to keep it stable

Re: Close call mod class February 13, 2020 06:17AM
Or build a steel doghouse over that area that is bolted to the frame. The shafts are solid and there is a bunch of mass there. Tethering might not suffice and the shaft could still come out of the shielding.

Re: Close call mod class February 16, 2020 11:23AM
I saw a Fuel car clutch go into the stands at Union Grove Wisconsin a long time ago. Killed 3 people. We all need to over protect all things that can get loose.

Re: Close call mod class February 16, 2020 11:53AM
It never ceases to amaze me how tractors have to have inner and outer side shields, around the 6 cylinder engines and kevlar scatter blankets around clutch flywheels, and drive shafts. And the Mods and v8 tractors dont have any engine shielding or kevlar blankets around clutch assemblies. How hard would it be to build a cover over these components and wrap them with kevlar blankets? Had this been in place on the tractor that tossed its shaft, peoples lives would most likely not been jeopardized. Those components flew up past our heads so fast that the human eye could not pick them up. We only felt the wind off of these flying parts as they slung silver antisieze on our faces as they went by. This was nothing less than a Miracle from God, that no one was hit and killed by these high velocity projectiles as they flew within literally INCHES from peoples heads. The videos on YouTube do not even pick up the flying parts due to the speed they were traveling, they were not small parts either! As a puller, this really scared me! We cannot over look any potential safety hazards anymore. If we even think it could be an issue, then we need to address it. That's all I have to say about this. Just very Thankful no lives were lost! Be safe everyone!

Re: Close call mod class February 18, 2020 09:54AM
you are correct, There is no shielding or blankets required over clutch assemblies. HOWEVER all Automotive type engines require a SFI Approved bellhousing or "clutch Can" These are rated to contain the clutch if it were to let go. As far as gearboxes after Camilles mini let loose last year gearboxes are required to run a shield or blanket. Since this incident there is a new rule in the NTPA book that requires two driveshaft straps on shielding over a certain length

Re: Close call mod class March 18, 2020 01:16AM
Does anyone know if NTPA mandated a rule for the driveshaft straps? Is it only mod tractors?

Re: Close call mod class March 18, 2020 01:23AM
The rule has been added to all V8 automotive engine based engine classes

Re: Close call mod class March 18, 2020 01:50AM
It's been added for all the mod classes, including minis. As well as the four wheel drive trucks.

Brent Yaron

Re: Close call mod class March 18, 2020 10:03AM
4. The following rule will apply to [b]all divisions[/b] that use solid driveline shields over 16 inches in length:
Note: this also applies to Mini Rod division and the intermediate shaft on FWD

All driveline shield components must be tethered on each end by two opposing restraints, Tethers must attach at 180 degrees of each other and a minimum of 3” and a maximum of 6” from each end of each driveline shield component.
Tether to be constructed of a minimum of 2” wide by 1/8” thick nylon or polyester strap. One end of tether must attach to one side of the chassis then go around the driveline shield then attach to the other side of he chassis. Tether must be attached to chassis by a minimum of one 3/8” grade 5 bolt with a grommet on each side or wrap around the chassis and use a buckle to fasten it to itself.

Note: FWD drivelines that use driveshaft hoops must use same tether configuration to be attached to main or common hoop holder between chassis and hoop assembly.

Looks to me like any class that uses a longer than 16 inch length will need a tether. TWD, Pro Stock, SSO, SSD, LSS, MOD, LT MOD, UNL MOD, MINI, 4WD, etc etc etc.

Re: Close call mod class March 18, 2020 01:11PM
Anyone know where I can find these for sale? I’m scratching my head a little and I’m sure there’s plenty of people on here with contacts. Thanks.

Re: Close call mod class March 18, 2020 01:18PM
Contact Brent Payne at Gene's Machine Shop.

Here is a post to their Facebook page mentioning they have them in stock: Facebook Post

Brent Yaron

Re: Close call mod class March 20, 2020 11:46AM
Sassy Engines has straps

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,616, Posts: 229,672, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,064, Posts: 225,890.

Our newest member JD_8520