Diesel VS Alky build cost? June 29, 2020 06:32PM
Curiosity question. Building a 5.9 Cummins, What is the cost difference between a Alcohol and Diesel build? Advantages and disadvantages? This is for a 6000# puller

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? June 30, 2020 03:05AM
I have a close friend and neighbor building a LLSS on alcohol and he claims it’s the cheaper route. However I don’t see it do to the added cost of putting spark plugs in the head, all the electronics (ignition, coils, smart power etc.), the fuel system even if it is less than a diesel system is still expensive. Then there is the added cost and storage of buying alcohol in 55 gal drums not to mention the endless supply of $20.00 spark plugs. And don’t forget if it’s a nice sunny day out you could be on fire and not see any flames. With all that being said there are a ton of alcohol tractors out there so I could be wrong I bet it will be ask ten people get ten different answers. I would talk to an engine builder that has actually built both.

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? June 30, 2020 03:10AM
The alky is cheaper. $1500-$2000 for a fuel system, $1,000 for ignition. A good P7100 pump and nozzles will be double that price, then you still get to buy the alky fuel pump and drive as a supply pump.

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? June 30, 2020 08:19AM
You can get several pulls out of a 20 dollar set of spark plugs theres a huge difference in the price between the two

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? June 30, 2020 08:30AM
We have gone a full season without changing the spark plugs in our light super before (~30 hooks)

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? June 30, 2020 12:05PM
Drinking alcohol
I have a close friend and neighbor building a LLSS on alcohol and he claims it’s the cheaper route. However I don’t see it do to the added cost of putting spark plugs in the head, all the electronics (ignition, coils, smart power etc.), the fuel system even if it is less than a diesel system is still expensive. Then there is the added cost and storage of buying alcohol in 55 gal drums not to mention the endless supply of $20.00 spark plugs. And don’t forget if it’s a nice sunny day out you could be on fire and not see any flames. With all that being said there are a ton of alcohol tractors out there so I could be wrong I bet it will be ask ten people get ten different answers. I would talk to an engine builder that has actually built both.

LOL soooooooooooo you dont buy bulk diesel either? 20.00 spark plugs? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? WOW I have YET to spent anywhere close to 20.00 on a sparkplug!!!

I love my alky ........... maintenance is cheaper in the long run, you stay clean because there is no dirty oil. No sending a pump in for a pump shop to tell you it needs a 3000.00 rebuild and a set of injectors AGAIN yeah .............. no advantage to alky hahahahahahahahah

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? July 02, 2020 11:48AM
what type of plugs to guys run? copper platinum iridium? seems like copper would be fine if you change them often.

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? July 02, 2020 12:04PM
Most run NGK or Autolite !!!

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? July 02, 2020 02:31PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I cannot agree .......... I actually spent more time on my previous diesel than I do on my CURRENT alky. HOWEVER my new alky will probably be a different story BUT I am also gonna step up to a national caliber tractor and with anything at that level if you expect to compete then you put in the time and effort to be at that level

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? July 03, 2020 12:05AM
Its really not an easy awnser. You can go cheap on both or spend as much as you want at any level. Been down this road several timea myself or for customers. Its basically about the same depending on what you are doing. Go with what you like because it’s expensive either way.

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? June 30, 2020 08:31AM
My question would be more, what are you more likely to be allowed to run in the future? With more and more people jumping on the "smoke is bad" bandwagon will we even be allowed to run diesel tractor pullers?

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? July 01, 2020 05:51AM
I’ve had both alcohol and diesel tractors. Hands down the alcohol is easier to build, run, and maintain. I feel you get better performance from diesel simply because alcohol can very to tune and it can be hard to be consistent. It all comes down to preference but without a doubt the longest lasting, coolest running, and least expensive is alcohol motor.

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? July 02, 2020 01:36PM
Alky tractors require a ton of attention to detail & numerous hours a week just checking things. Diesel tractors allow you more beer drinking time unless it blows up. Lol

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? July 02, 2020 02:18PM
That's an awesome assessment!! Lol! I knew there was a reason why I went diesel........I do like me a beer or two.

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? July 02, 2020 02:47PM
Cody hes talking a singel turbo 6000 pound tractor change the oil every couple of runs and keep an 18 dollar set of spark plugs handy for 15 or 20 runs make your own moonshine to run in it add a tap to the tank and keep a cup handy your set

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? July 03, 2020 07:02AM
I think a better way to ask this question Gonzo 1066 is to say..... If I start with a budget of lets say $40k for a #6000 puller, what will make more hp and a better chance of winning a diesel or alcohol ?

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? July 03, 2020 09:48PM
What about alky fuel system maintenance during the season? How often would the alky system need stripped and flushed during a season? I have always ran diesel which is basically maintenance free until the next pass, I have never had any involvement with alky but always willing to learn

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? July 04, 2020 12:23AM
Alcohol is maintenance free pretty much all season, if you run regularly, although it doesn't hurt to go thru your nozzles occasionally to make sure one of them hasnt picked up something an got clogged, but in most cases your filter is going to catch anything, if not run regularly them yes definitely you would want to go thru the system an clean everything !!!

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? July 04, 2020 12:59AM
Maintenance free? That’s funny. Where do I get one like that?

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? July 04, 2020 03:04AM
The ones that say a Diesel or alcohol tractor is maintenance free I would almost bet the farm they are at the back of pack night in and night out. Lol

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? July 04, 2020 07:28AM
Im talking about a light limited super stock, and Cody ive yet to see anything youve got run ( yours probably needs more than maintenance) ---- and no i dont run mid pack usually -- but in the the best class going, mid pack wont be 5 ft from the front --- and another thing - build it right an you wont do much other than change the oil- adjust the clutch- an change plugs -- that is very lil maintenance !!! Maybe not completely maintenance free but not alot either !!!

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? July 04, 2020 09:55AM
I wouldn’t be hiding my identity if I were as great as you are. Lol. Shoot, I’ll just bring you my junk & let you work some magic...

Re: Diesel VS Alky build cost? July 04, 2020 12:45PM
Just funing you Cody, lol, id love to b a tractor pimp like you !!!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,598, Posts: 229,643, Members: 3,322.
This forum: Topics: 37,060, Posts: 225,875.

Our newest member JD_8520