What outdoor pulls have largest seating capacity? August 04, 2020 01:16PM
Bowlinf Green can hold a lot and some of the state fair grandstands are pretty large. Regardless of sanctioning body, what outdoor facilities have the largest seating capacity?

Re: What outdoor pulls have largest seating capacity? August 04, 2020 02:22PM
I would say BG and Tomah and then a state fair or race track

Re: What outdoor pulls have largest seating capacity? August 06, 2020 06:06AM
I think the MIS pull was at campground, then at local fairground, then in Indiana. Not sure which actually took place except last one.

Re: What outdoor pulls have largest seating capacity? August 05, 2020 03:01AM
Does PPL still have a pull at MIS? That would be my pick, 100;000+ capacity.

Re: What outdoor pulls have largest seating capacity? August 05, 2020 03:11AM
That is an interesting question. I also wonder who has the largest attendance after Bowling Green's numbers. Also for the largest attendance for the entire show would it be Louisville or Bowling Green?

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: What outdoor pulls have largest seating capacity? August 05, 2020 04:22AM
Dick, a bit of reminiscing. Over the decades, I have been blessed with witnessing pulls in a lot of states and 2 provinces. All kinds of different seating arrangements.

The biggest single grandstand I ever saw was New York State Fair. Yes, I know it has been a few years since a pull was staged there. Use to be on NTPA GN & RN1 circuit for many years back in 80's & 90's. I always thought that was a big & great grandstand.

So I googled its grandstand capacity. And learned this from Wikipedia: "Governor Cuomo announced a transformation of the Fairgrounds in 2015 that included a sweeping redesign of the Fairgrounds that included taking out what was previously the 17,000 seat Grandstand and mile-long dirt track."

Do you know why he took out the facility? That saddened my day. Is that why there is no pulling there anymore?

Lots of pulling memories and photos from Syracuse. Still have the photos from the first pull staged at the State Fair. Track was carved out that day - 9/1/73 - from the infield sod. Currently looking at the 3"x3" color photo of the winner in 10,000 class, Dave Shoemaker from Cifton Springs with the winning smokin' 4010, with narrow front end tires turned 45 degrees to the right as they are a foot or so off the track, as the tractor right rear tire is very close to getting into the sod. The sled pan is under the front of the Landoll trailer sled that has a - well it looks like it might be Jack Leibach's IH 504 from Penn Yan - on the front of the trailer, with an unrecognized tractor on back of trailer, for weight.
And I was finding a little space at end of track to photoraph the action, between a crowd that encompassed each side of track, that was literally about on the edge of the track, sitting or standing on the sod. All of you readers would likely find this photo quite interesting to see what early day sanctioned - this one was NYTPA - pulling looked like, in comparison to what we have today, a half century later.
I think we pulled like this for 2 years. Then got in front of big grandstand on the dirt racetrack. Never did see the grandstand completely full of spectators. But was always a good size.

Re: What outdoor pulls have largest seating capacity? August 05, 2020 05:57AM
Bristol, Tennessee. ATPA in the late nineties/early 2000's. I think capacity at the time was 140k+, may have been bigger by then.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: What outdoor pulls have largest seating capacity? August 05, 2020 06:34AM
David Shoemaker with Lil' John ?

Re: What outdoor pulls have largest seating capacity? August 05, 2020 04:46AM
The pull at MIS wasn't at the speedway. It was in the campground on the south side of US 12. JW

Re: What outdoor pulls have largest seating capacity? August 06, 2020 11:07AM
Pulled at Pocono in the early ‘90’s and The Hoosier Dome and Dome in Detroit around that same timeframe. None of em packed the stands but were huge venues. As someone mentioned the largest crowds I ever pulled in front of with the exception of BG was the NY State Fair. Grandstands were massive and usually full.

Re: What outdoor pulls have largest seating capacity? August 06, 2020 02:12PM
Thanks for sharing Wally. I still think that is sad. Despite all the happy politicians in those pictures. Wonder why they thought that was such a joyous occasion?

Lot of facilities would love to have a granstand like that, I think.

Oh, yes, Silverdome, how could I forget it and its big size. And Louisville is pretty good size, too. Both being indoor.

But I originally was thinking outdoor grandstand. One that qualifies is the Joliet, Illinois raceway. What a hassle that place was for the GN pull. One year wonder.

Re: What outdoor pulls have largest seating capacity? August 07, 2020 04:15AM
Most times pontiac silverdome crowd was 40,000- 50,000 people. The best attendance was over 70,000 people in the silverdome! Much larger attendance than anything pull today!!!

Re: What outdoor pulls have largest seating capacity? August 06, 2020 12:45PM
Astro dome was a big pull back in the day.

Re: What outdoor pulls have largest seating capacity? August 18, 2020 03:31AM
I would estimate BG as largest, with Tomah a second.

Largest that I worked was NYSF-Syracuse or Erie County Hamburg. After a year of announcing from a folding card table on the horse track, I Mr. Llyod Lamb, Fairgrounds GM, upgraded me to the horserace PA suite, ac, looking right down onto the bull track, could see the entire infield. Had to take on elevator to get there. AC seats, open air and infield seating.

Pocono may have had largest seating capacity...but we were a long way from that, same with Bristol.

Re: What outdoor pulls have largest seating capacity? August 18, 2020 09:50AM
Before my time (and I’m old) but I have a puller magazine (mid 70’s??) where they took 4wd trucks to Aloha Stadium.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,580, Posts: 229,613, Members: 3,320.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,861.

Our newest member Fechtner Racing