Best and worst farm tractor you ever owned? August 05, 2020 11:35PM
What make/model was the best farm tractor you ever owned? What make/model was the worst?

Re: Best and worst farm tractor you ever owned? August 06, 2020 02:12AM
One of the worst we had and a can't remember the name,it was Farm--- and no it wasn't Farmall. It looked like a very large David Brown,had about 100 HP. It had the most unhandy controls I'd ever seen on a tractor. We likley had about 50 hours on it when I had to replace the head gasket and it was down hill from there. It didn't hang around long. We also had a 4 wheel drive Zetor,one of the most awkward tractors I'd ever run. It was rugged though, I always said that I didn't mind bush hogging rough stuff with it because it was rugged and I didn't care if I beat it up.

My Father-in-law has had a David Brown 990 since new, very cheap on fuel and very rugged also. He always said that it was the handiest tractor ever built, my answer to that was that any tractor you run for 50 years is going to be your most handy tractor. Mine was always old Oliver's because that's what I grew up on. One of my favorite tractors to drive was a Ford 6640, I loved cutting hay with it but the transmission was a bit of an issue with it.

My uncle used to say that my aunt could never drive an Oliver because she would never figure out the shifting. I was like that with the new generation JDs, just never drove one enough to get the hang of them. On that note I hated backing hay wagons with a 50 JD.

Re: Best and worst farm tractor you ever owned? August 06, 2020 05:00AM
Todd, a NewGen JD 8 speed is far easier to contend with than the Oliver 6 speed pattern.

Worst - Case 800 diesel heads were junk. Wide front end pins & bushings not much better.

Best - Most anything in JD, be it 2 banger (720 gas & 730 diesel were real workhorses) or New Gen (except 2010 & 4520 were rather lemons, I'm told).

2 favorite all time open station tractors are a JD 2520 diesel & 4320. Cabbed 4440 power shift, with 20.8x38 duals, was a great tractor. Factory pump setting dynoed at dealer when new at 165 horsepower. Nebraska tractor tested at 130. 10 years later, I sent to dealer for new rear axle seals, being first thing done to it for repairs, with 3300 hours. Dealer put on dyno - 175 hp. Engine always burned clean.

Re: Best and worst farm tractor you ever owned? August 06, 2020 06:03AM
Best - Any Ford in the x000-x600-0610 series. Have a 4610 now with a loader its a good tractor, simple to maintain and operate. Dad had a 45hp Kubota in the 2000s with FWA and a loader, super-durable and an excellent utility tractor, one of the best.

Worst - honestly I haven't run any horrible tractors, just some with quirks as some have. Most everything I have been on from a C Farmall up through the modern stuff has been good, and when it wasn't it had good reason to be, usually abuse or misuse by a previous owner.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Best and worst farm tractor you ever owned? August 06, 2020 04:30PM
I agree brian. The best model tractor ever ,mistreated ,can end up being the biggest headache or piece of junk money pit. For me it was a jd 1020 gas.

Re: Best and worst farm tractor you ever owned? August 06, 2020 11:43AM
Actually if you think of an Oliver as having 2 three speed transmissions instead of a JD with 4 two speeds it comes out better. Oh, and then Oliver had a three on the go shift, when did JD find out about a TA system? ;-)

Ed.

Re: Best and worst farm tractor you ever owned? August 06, 2020 04:41AM
Worst ford 3400 gas,best kubota..

Re: Best and worst farm tractor you ever owned? August 06, 2020 01:49PM
worst 65 mf gas would be a close call between an 856 ih or one of several Deutz tractors ive had for the best.But my favorite was a 6000 ford with a m and w turbo kit

Re: Best and worst farm tractor you ever owned? August 06, 2020 03:30PM
Worst was a IH986. Best was an IH5088 mfd

Re: Best and worst farm tractor you ever owned? August 07, 2020 01:54AM
Worst we have is a ih 656. Love our jd 4430

Re: Best and worst farm tractor you ever owned? August 07, 2020 11:09AM
Supertiquer
Worst was a IH986. Best was an IH5088 mfd

If those 3x88 and 5x88 series would have had a full powershift, they would have been the tractors to reckon with, for sure.

Re: Best and worst farm tractor you ever owned? August 07, 2020 12:23PM
460 Farmall Diesel has been our worst. My dad bought it new. Nothing but a headache. It was is one and only new tractor. My first new one was a JD 6135 E and it lost all hydraulics going down a steep hill. Deere took it back and gave me a super deal on a 6130M and it's been a real good tractor.

Re: Best and worst farm tractor you ever owned? August 07, 2020 02:46PM
On the farm growing up , I would say the 706 gas was the worst, an the 856 held the best for a long time till we got a 4440

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,565, Posts: 229,582, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,056, Posts: 225,843.

Our newest member BadHabit2