Interesting video on pulling drag racing September 29, 2020 01:32AM
This is an interesting video on drag racing 2 Lt. Unlimited mods at the galot motor park.

Link to video

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Interesting video on pulling drag racing September 29, 2020 05:02AM
ive said on here for years that time needs to be a factor..in round 2 graph explanation,i disagree,shouldnt the box top out at the same distance,im sure the sled gearing was the same ?? and pan drop too ??..simply a difference in the dirt side to side

Re: Interesting video on pulling drag racing September 29, 2020 05:40AM
patches
ive said on here for years that time needs to be a factor..in round 2 graph explanation,i disagree,shouldnt the box top out at the same distance,im sure the sled gearing was the same ?? and pan drop too ??..simply a difference in the dirt side to side

I was thinking the same thing, the box tops out at same distance on track, speed just makes it happen sooner lol!

Re: Interesting video on pulling drag racing September 29, 2020 10:01AM
hard to get two dirt tracks comparable, -- interesting however. one driver as slow on the start.not used to being on a timer. LOL

Re: Interesting video on pulling drag racing September 29, 2020 01:12PM
What you are saying is right, but on watching it again, the graph is plotting against elapsed time, not feet travelled so I get what Brian was trying to say. It is an interesting thing. I'm sure a lot of guys are datalogging that same info and I'd be curious over time what they learn from it.

Re: Interesting video on pulling drag racing September 30, 2020 12:43AM
I'm not really into "drag racing", but that's what "pulling" (?) has become and personally, this turns me off, but it doesn't surprise me.
"Pulling" has become another form of drag racing
I saw it coming back in the '80's.
When HP is left unchecked and the weight of the tractor isn't increased to match it, (as in todays style of pulling), then drag racing becomes inevitable.

I don't comment on hear all that much and have all but stopped going to pulls over the yrs. , but then I'm for "true" farm stock tractor pulling and the only way to achieve that is to police hp on the PTO shaft per class without speed limits.
I realize that kind of pulling isn't interesting to some....or most, but it's my style of the true sport.

Please don't be offended by my comments here, Mr. Morgan. I've read most of Jakes, ( and poss. yours), articles concerning the decline of our sport and the seemingly lack of interest and attendance by spectators when I joined this forum.
And I don't have any answers either , if we want to keep it going down the same road ,( ie: unchecked HP), and sticking with the drag racing style that we currently have..

I've always thought that the object of the sport needs to change , or at the least, there needs to be another form of , or style, of pulling for those of us who like to see a tractor actually "pull" "weight" down the track from the starting line to the finish line.
My stock 7800 Deere weighed 18,000lbs and had approx. 165 hp on the shaft, (over 100 lbs per hp), .....my 8330 weighed close to 25,000lbs and had around 240 hp at the shaft. They both could pull more weight than the supers and mods of today can....not speed wise, of course, but out right "pull" more weight , so for those that think todays high powered stuff is tough, well........

I'll probably get toasted really bad for what I just said, but I don't care.

Re: Interesting video on pulling drag racing September 30, 2020 12:47AM
.............then again, maybe I'm on the wrong forum altogether ?

Re: Interesting video on pulling drag racing September 30, 2020 02:24AM
I completely agree that HP has been left uncheck for far too long. Horsepower is meth and pullers are addicts. The NTPA was supposed to be a governing body, but instead it's just a sanctioning body. Let me say that again, the NTPA sanctions events but it seldom governs the sport. PPL is no different, they simply sanction pulls and do minimal actual governing.

Why don't they govern? Well, governing doesn't make them any money in the short-term. Sure governing is what keeps the sport healthy long-term, but nobody cares about long-term anymore, it's all about the present instead of looking at what's over the horizon. It's unfortunate but no organization wants to govern, they just want to sanction and cash the checks this week, those other problems will just go away if we ignore them and close our eyes.

I think it's great that you like slower ground speed and farm stock pulling, there's plenty of it out there, there's dead weight pulling, there's antiques, garden tractors, RC pulling, etc... there's a little bit of everything for everyone and I think that's important for the overall health of our sport. It takes all kinds to make this sport better, it can't be healthy if it's only the national circuits. That's a formula that just won't work. Unfortunately I think your in the minority (I guess the fact that any of us like pulling puts us all in the minority in some regards) because there's nothing exciting to the average fan watching a heavy tractor make a 20 second slow pass down the track. Generally speaking speed is the best way to showcase HP. You're still on the right forum... just know that you're in the minority (Don't worry, I'm in the minority on some of my opinions too but that's OK, the sport has room for all of us.)

Here's where I don't agree: "When HP is left unchecked and the weight of the tractor isn't increased to match it" If the weight of the pulling vehicle is increased then sleds won't be able to stop the vehicles in some classes. Having a 20,000 lb Super Stock class wouldn't do anything to slow them down, it would just break (alot) more parts and make them pull a heavier sled.

In fact, one of the fastest ground speed classes I ever saw was a 6200 lb. 4-wheel drive truck class. I don't know what speed they were running down the track but it had to be upper 30 to mid 40 mph. The entire class was stacked up within 10 to 15 feet of each other. It was one of the most exciting classes I've seen and it really showcased the high HP that those engines were making. In fact, the ground speed in the beginning and the sled hitting them hard at the end actually made the competition closer and kept fans on the edge of their seats. I've also seen tons of LSS and LLSS classes with tons of ground speed. With today's moderns sleds the weight of the vehicle isn't what controls ground speed... the sled setup/operator is the person who determines ground speed at every event.

A good sled operator can make a class as fast or as slow as they want... regardless of vehicle weight. Their job is to put on the best show, and the best show for most fans is ground-speed and close competition.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Interesting video on pulling drag racing September 30, 2020 03:16PM
I think I agree with you, Jake, in that I feel the sport took off, HP wise, in leaps and bounds, in such a way that it headed in a direction that has hurt the sport, sort of like NASCAR, which I gave up on yrs ago also.

I want to point out that I'm not necessarily against speed, as long as the tractors actually "pulling" some "real weight" from the get go ......if that makes any sense.

I also didn't mean that the mods , super stocks and such 'should" be heavier, but because the weight didn't increase when the HP did, drag racing became unavoidable.

The comment that ih1066 puller made about adding more weight to the sled coming off the line, making the high powered supers and mods pull more off the line , in my opinion anyway, may be something that puts "pulling" back into the sport.....almost "anything" that takes the drag racing and momentum elements back out of the sport is of interest to me.

I don't know, maybe there's no reconciliation possible between those who like the speed and momentum that has engulfed our sport and those who like to see a tractor actually "pull" something, but I'd like to hope so.

Re: Interesting video on pulling drag racing September 30, 2020 02:17AM
JD powershift, I think that what you said is somewhat correct but I also don´t believe that pulling should be only 25k pound 250hp tractors because it is a motorsport and while many of the fans are farmers, many come to see the amazing engineering that goes into these tractors. I personally think that if we don´t want to see as much of a drag race we need to change how we set the sleds rather than the rules of the tractors. If you set the sled with at least some weight at the beginning, it will make it more of a drivers game rather than whoever has the fattest wallet. Personally I think that the perfect speed is 28-32 but if you want to slow the pulls down, dont make it a slow 25k pound tractor but rather change the sled setting on a more exciting class.

Re: Interesting video on pulling drag racing September 30, 2020 02:40PM
I agree with your points ,ih1066 puller, in that the crowd, in my opinion, especially those who "didn't" come from farming, aren't interested in watching tractors right off the farm that aren't turned up....ie: the 25,000lb 250 hp tractors you speak of, because they can't relate to those tractors......they didn't grow up using them.

Also, I don't believe you can go back and start over, in regards to the kind of high performance "pulling" we have today. Your idea though,, ih1066, of setting the sled so it's heavier starting off the line, seems interesting to me.

Re: Interesting video on pulling drag racing September 30, 2020 11:15PM
Open Super Stock Tractors, Farley, IA, 08-15-20

I don't know the details of the sled setting, but I know it was a topic of discussion on this board back in the summer. This is the closest resemblance to a tractor PULL at a national level that I have seen in recent history. The open super stock tractors are digging and clawing for the last 50' or so. As indicated by the results, it wasn't the teams with the deepest pockets in the top 5. When you take speed away from them, balance and traction becomes much more important.

Re: Interesting video on pulling drag racing October 01, 2020 01:06AM
Been to a few pulls where the Unlimited sled is loaded so heavy the pullers can't get it moving, half the class one wheels, and only 1 or 2 tractors make a decent pass. Half the others tear stuff up because of it, and it puts on a horrible show.

PS class might like more weight off the line as they scream their motors for 75 or 100 feet until they get some weight on the pan. SSD is the same many times.

Re: Interesting video on pulling drag racing October 01, 2020 04:22AM
My feeling is this related to the video, exhibiting the horsepower of the tractors, the sled and it’s abilities & mixed with a drag racing style is effective to bringing attention and possibly a new fan(s) to the sport - I’m all for it. It’s just an exhibition and I can’t see it ever becoming more than that. Anything (other than accidents) that can bring attention to the sport should be welcomed.....it is greatly needed!!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,598, Posts: 229,641, Members: 3,322.
This forum: Topics: 37,060, Posts: 225,873.

Our newest member JD_8520