PROPOSAL: A TRUE Pro Modified FWD class for NTPA October 14, 2020 02:59PM
I believe the basic structure of FPP's Run What You Brung truck class could work as an NTPA national class. It's the closest thing the sport offers to a true Pro Mod class with different combos. The best aspect of NHRA Pro Mods is seeing blown alcohol, turbocharged, and nitrous cars race heads up in the same class, though the 3 combos have varying engine sizes (and maybe weight breaks). Pulling could use this also.

PPL calls their FWD modfied class "Pro Modified FWD" but it really isn't. A legitimate Pro Modified class would allow multiple engine combinations. The gist of FPP's class is blown FWD, Super Stock Diesel FWD, Pro Stock Diesel FWD, mountain motor FWD, and even a nitrous truck and a pro charger truck run together. In terms of variety, no other class in pulling offers as much.

NTPA may have SMFWD in the rulebook, but no current member state runs it. NTPA may run 1 or 2 Pro Stock Diesel hooks (Sandwich, IL may be the only one), there are a number of FWD mods with engines larger than 650 ci that have no home in NTPA. They could develop nitrous rules and allow a pro charger, or alcohol turbo or multi turbo FWD truck if someone ever built one. Heck, if the right weight and hitch height could be found, even the KTPA extended wheelbase SMFWD could work in the class.

One thing I'd change from the FPP version, is FPP allows twd's (not a fan of that and they have their own class with huge participation), and one thing I'd alter for points purposes is how SSD FWD fit in since have their own class, even though they are a great fit in the RWYB class.

If NTPA ever adopts this true Pro Modified truck class, regarding how to handle SSD FWD,
A) one hard way around this is to not let the SSD FWD run the class, or
B.) a soft way is allow them to run but not collect points, or.
C) drop SSD FWD as a separate class and run those trucks in the "true" Pro Mod Fwd class. If SSD FWD was struggling with #s, maybe, but PPL had as many as 26 this year so there is no shortage. Now, if NTPA has trouble getting enough to run their SSD FWD GN class, then option C may work, but otherwise let them keep their good thing going with their own class. Another option
D) Let the SSD FWD pullers choose to run and collect points in either or both SSD FWD or Pro Mod FWD. Not sure if that is really fair.

Regarding NTPA-legal 650 ci or less FWD modifieds, they are at a disadvantage, either disallow them from running the class, or treat it like when we've seen a limited pro tractor run in the pro stock class and let them hook. Since FWD mods have their own GN class like SSD FWD has their own GN class, I'd treat both the same (however the powers that be decide). Likewise with Limited Pro diesel trucks. NTPA would have to decide if they wanted 3.0 and smaller diesel trucks in the class. If a "National" class, I'd vote no. But that's why there are rule committees to get input from multiple minds.

I believe Mr. Poosch mentioned last month more organizations should adopt this class. I agree. I challenge NTPA leadership to show vision, take a chance, and add this class to their lineup.

If they get the sweet spot of weight and hitch height right so that each combination has a fair shot at winning, my prediction is, unlike light unlimited mods, within 3 years this would be one of the most requested classes by promoters, and have excellent participation.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2020 03:21PM by The Original Michael.

Re: PROPOSAL: A TRUE Pro Modified FWD class for NTPA October 19, 2020 12:04PM
The Original Michael
I believe the basic structure of FPP's Run What You Brung truck class could work as an NTPA national class. It's the closest thing the sport offers to a true Pro Mod class with different combos. The best aspect of NHRA Pro Mods is seeing blown alcohol, turbocharged, and nitrous cars race heads up in the same class, though the 3 combos have varying engine sizes (and maybe weight breaks). Pulling could use this also.

PPL calls their FWD modfied class "Pro Modified FWD" but it really isn't. A legitimate Pro Modified class would allow multiple engine combinations. The gist of FPP's class is blown FWD, Super Stock Diesel FWD, Pro Stock Diesel FWD, mountain motor FWD, and even a nitrous truck and a pro charger truck run together. In terms of variety, no other class in pulling offers as much.

NTPA may have SMFWD in the rulebook, but no current member state runs it. NTPA may run 1 or 2 Pro Stock Diesel hooks (Sandwich, IL may be the only one), there are a number of FWD mods with engines larger than 650 ci that have no home in NTPA. They could develop nitrous rules and allow a pro charger, or alcohol turbo or multi turbo FWD truck if someone ever built one. Heck, if the right weight and hitch height could be found, even the KTPA extended wheelbase SMFWD could work in the class.

One thing I'd change from the FPP version, is FPP allows twd's (not a fan of that and they have their own class with huge participation), and one thing I'd alter for points purposes is how SSD FWD fit in since have their own class, even though they are a great fit in the RWYB class.

If NTPA ever adopts this true Pro Modified truck class, regarding how to handle SSD FWD,
A) one hard way around this is to not let the SSD FWD run the class, or
B.) a soft way is allow them to run but not collect points, or.
C) drop SSD FWD as a separate class and run those trucks in the "true" Pro Mod Fwd class. If SSD FWD was struggling with #s, maybe, but PPL had as many as 26 this year so there is no shortage. Now, if NTPA has trouble getting enough to run their SSD FWD GN class, then option C may work, but otherwise let them keep their good thing going with their own class. Another option
D) Let the SSD FWD pullers choose to run and collect points in either or both SSD FWD or Pro Mod FWD. Not sure if that is really fair.

Regarding NTPA-legal 650 ci or less FWD modifieds, they are at a disadvantage, either disallow them from running the class, or treat it like when we've seen a limited pro tractor run in the pro stock class and let them hook. Since FWD mods have their own GN class like SSD FWD has their own GN class, I'd treat both the same (however the powers that be decide). Likewise with Limited Pro diesel trucks. NTPA would have to decide if they wanted 3.0 and smaller diesel trucks in the class. If a "National" class, I'd vote no. But that's why there are rule committees to get input from multiple minds.

I believe Mr. Poosch mentioned last month more organizations should adopt this class. I agree. I challenge NTPA leadership to show vision, take a chance, and add this class to their lineup.

If they get the sweet spot of weight and hitch height right so that each combination has a fair shot at winning, my prediction is, unlike light unlimited mods, within 3 years this would be one of the most requested classes by promoters, and have excellent participation.

What is the rules for OSTPA where they run the 500 inch blown trucks with the standard 136 inch wheel base against the heavier, long wheel base diesels?
Do the diesels weigh more? or can the 136 inch wheel base trucks weigh heavier than 6350 lbs.?

Re: PROPOSAL: A TRUE Pro Modified FWD class for NTPA October 19, 2020 12:34PM
SMFWD super charged trucks to weigh 6500 lbs.
Diesel powered trucks to weigh 7500 lbs.
SMFWD naturally aspirated drive trucks to weigh 7000 lbs

From their rules posted in 2017

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: PROPOSAL: A TRUE Pro Modified FWD class for NTPA October 19, 2020 01:38PM
Full Pull Productions rules. (Posting as a starting point. As mentioned earlier, I see no need for NTPA to allow TWD, they already have a class).

Weight and Hitch Height (FWD Trucks) :

Naturally aspirated gas or alcohol (with cast iron block & stock spacing): 7600 pounds and 28” hitch height

Naturally aspirated gas or alcohol (with aluminum block): 7600 pounds and 27” hitch height

Naturally Aspirated GAS with Nitrous Oxide System: 7300 pounds and 26” hitch height (Bore spacing alterations permitted)

Naturally Aspirated GAS with Nitrous Oxide System running cast iron block: 7600 pounds and 27” hitch height.

Any Single Turbo Diesel/Gas Truck: 7500 pounds and 26” hitch height Running with Cut Bar Tires

Any Single Turbo Diesel/Gas Truck: 7800 pounds and 26” hitch height running with DOT Tires

Super Stock Diesel: 7500 pounds and 26” hitch height

Super Charged/Pro Charger gas or alcohol (575 ci max) weigh 7500 pounds and 26” hitch height

Weight and Hitch Height (Two Wheel Drive Trucks):

Standard type pickup truck bodies, ie: “T” Bucket, open cab trucks permitted with USA-East Tech Approval.

Single Turbocharged Diesel or Gasoline engines are permitted 7400 lbs. 30” hitch height.

Super Charged with Max. Wheelbase of 130” (Max. 510 cu.in w/8-71 Blower) 7800lbs. with 31” hitch.

Super Charged with Max. wheelbase of 147” (Max. 550 cu.in w/8-71 Blower) 7600 lbs. with 30” hitch height. (Truck with a 14-71 Blower weighs in at 7400.

Super Charged with Max. wheelbase of 165” (Max. 575 cu.in w/Max 14-71 Blower or single stage turbo(s) set up- 6200 lbs. with 30” hitch height.

Weights may be altered at any time for the betterment of the sport/class.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2020 01:41PM by The Original Michael.

Re: PROPOSAL: A TRUE Pro Modified FWD class for NTPA October 19, 2020 09:56PM
thanks for the break down of weights

Re: PROPOSAL: A TRUE Pro Modified FWD class for NTPA October 20, 2020 08:33AM
Why would a tractor pull need to adhere to NHRA nomenclature for a FWD class ? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Re: PROPOSAL: A TRUE Pro Modified FWD class for NTPA October 20, 2020 09:06AM
Maybe because Super Stock and Pro Stock are drag racing nomenclature as well ?

Re: PROPOSAL: A TRUE Pro Modified FWD class for NTPA October 20, 2020 02:28PM
What similarities do racing super and pro stocks have to pulling super and pro stocks. None just like pro modifieds and modifieds

Re: PROPOSAL: A TRUE Pro Modified FWD class for NTPA October 21, 2020 09:51AM
So what should we change the names of PS and SS to?

Re: PROPOSAL: A TRUE Pro Modified FWD class for NTPA October 21, 2020 01:46PM
Im not proposing any name changes. I was weighing in on A True Pro Modified FWD class for NTPA. Made no sense to me how you throw all these combinations into a class for it to be a true Pro Modified FWD class. I have followed pulling for 50 plus years and have only heard of Pro Modified Fwd since PPL came along with their big motor class.

Re: PROPOSAL: A TRUE Pro Modified FWD class for NTPA October 21, 2020 01:48PM
I hope you enjoy making fun of me. Believe me I could care less.

Re: PROPOSAL: A TRUE Pro Modified FWD class for NTPA October 21, 2020 08:04AM
Greg kuntzman
Why would a tractor pull need to adhere to NHRA nomenclature for a FWD class ? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Would you prefer "Midget Monster Trucks" as a class name?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2020 08:05AM by The Original Michael.

Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,573, Posts: 229,599, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,057, Posts: 225,853.

Our newest member BadHabit2