Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 30, 2020 04:52AM
My earliest memories of pulling are going with my dad to pulls.
Out of curiosity, who many folks on this board became exposed to the sport by going to pulls with your dad when you were a child? (My guess would be well over 80%).

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 30, 2020 06:19AM
As far back as I remember

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 30, 2020 07:16AM
Went to my first pull when I was a week old. Obviously, I clearly remember every detail of it Grinning but it certainly laid a great foundation for a lifelong obsession.

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 30, 2020 07:38AM
I absolutely went to my first pull with my dad. He took me to a local fair and I was probably 8–9 years old. Funny thing is, his interest died down a couple of years later.....and mine never stopped. And now, I have taken my son to his first pull(s) around the same age and he has “close to” the same enthusiasm and interest as I have. It’s a family affair whether you are a puller or a fan, in my mind. Some of the best times in my life were at a pull.

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 30, 2020 08:34AM
I remember going to the pulls at Rupp Arena when I was about 5 or 6 but it was my mom who took me. My father was always too busy.

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 30, 2020 10:50AM
I love this topic. My dad took me to pulls growing up. Not many, but we did go. Even to this day, my dad and I go and attend pulls together. He has never pulled anything big, just his 1200pd Outlaw tractor, But he is going to be 82 next June and isn't showing any sign of quitting. Along with that, my son has been going to pulls since he was a baby and started pulling garden tractors at age 4, with his 1st win at his second event. The first year my son pulled, we would usually have the youngest and oldest puller tat the event. We are very fortunate, we get to have 3 generations go down the track all at the same event.

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 30, 2020 11:15AM
First pull for me with Dad, Hardin County, Kentucky fair, July 1976. Remember a 190XT with Mags on the front and a 1256 breaking loose from the sled. Went to '77 Farm Show and sat in nosebleeds on finish line. Lots of county fair pulls, a couple GN pulls until I turned 16 or 17 and I was set free to go to local fair pulls alone. After that a couple trips to NFMS and the last pull I took him to was fittingly Hardin Co Fair in 2015. Grandfather took me quite a bit too. Good times.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 30, 2020 10:55AM
I went with my dad as a kid (still do as an adult... well, I guess he comes with me now since I do all the driving Winking). When I was a kid my grandpa would come sometimes as well. We would always go to Pike, but we would hit other events on the NYTPA (now ESP) circuit. I've taken my son to some events and my wife and girls have also joined us on a couple of occasions. The kids actually asked me last week at the diner table if were were going to the "big tractor pull" (Langford, NY) next summer, so they're already excited for pulling to start again... fingers crossed.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2020 11:00AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 30, 2020 11:49AM
Always with Dad as a kid, while he pulled, pulled my first time at Nelson County Fair around the age of 11 or 12. And pulled Mini for first time at 15 but always with Dad..

Eric Prewitt
The Prewitt Pulling Team
Public Relations for
The Pulling Radio Network

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 30, 2020 12:42PM
Dad took me to my first pull I was 6 months old. That's 50 years ago. Was in Louisville with him and my oldest son last February planning the new build. Best time ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2020 09:12AM by pb.

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 30, 2020 11:17PM
My mom & Darius Harms were 1st cousins (their dads were brothers), so not only did I attend with my dad, it was a family affair each summer. Darius is the one responsible for getting me into announcing. My first gig was the Champaign County Fair in Urbana, IL in the summer of 1985 just a few weeks before I turned 18.

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 31, 2020 02:20PM
Leroy Schluter
My mom & Darius Harms were 1st cousins (their dads were brothers), so not only did I attend with my dad, it was a family affair each summer. Darius is the one responsible for getting me into announcing. My first gig was the Champaign County Fair in Urbana, IL in the summer of 1985 just a few weeks before I turned 18.

And you are a VERY good announcer. My dad took me to pulls as far as I can remember in his and my short life with him since he passed away in 1980. I can remember sitting with him at the Illinois State Fair in 1976 and telling him, "Dad let's do this". I was 16 years of age and he was in bad health at that time. He wanted to do it, but he couldn't. Maybe that's why I won the Illinois State fair in 1998.

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 31, 2020 01:14AM
Was going to pulls with dad as long as could remember!! Dad gone now, but he went to the pulls with us kids rite up to the end.

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 31, 2020 02:25AM
I was 10 years old and dad took me to a pull in our hometown (Mayfield, KY). I was hooked. We had a lot of great pullers that pulled in our area (Donaldson, Dickie Sullivan, Tim Engler, the Mastersons, and many more). We went to pulls together until I moved off for my first job. We would still make a few pulls (Chapel Hill, TN). I moved back closer to home in '96 and we started back going to pulls. We eventually got involved with the KSTPA/TNAL (now MidSouth) and went to many pulls during the next 10 years. Dad ran the video camera and I shot still pics. The greatest thing was all of the windshield time with my dad! Dads health got bad and we eventually quit going together (although we went to any pulls he wanted to go to during this time). Our last pull was 2 months before he passed. Enter my son... Before my dad died Luke started going to pulls with us. I wish my dad could see Luke now. Luke is autistic but loves pulling. So, the torch was passed from my dad to me and now to Luke. He loves pulling as much as me and my dad. He wanted to be like his Papa and he now runs the video camera (and I still shoot pics).

A little more on my dad. He would go to a few pulls with Robert Elliott (Ole Blue TWD). Dad would call me from the pulls and he sounded like a little kid talking about all of the equipment that was there and that he had lunch/dinner with all these pullers. I have to admit that I get that same feeling going to pulls (just like I felt when I was 10). I hope I never lose that feeling.

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 31, 2020 06:02AM
My experience was almost the opposite of what you are talking about. My family was into showing Quarter Horses and we were just like pullers in that we were at a different county fair every week all summer long. Every so often the pulls would be happening on the other side of the grounds and I would sneak off between classes to watch the tractor pulls, Dad could care less. Even after I started pulling I think he only came to watch once or twice. It just wasn't of any interest to him as it didn't have four legs, to be fair I didn't have much interest in his love, horses.

The next generation my boys went with us through their early years and even drove our single engine tractors a few times but like me they had different interests, for them it was dirt bikes, snow skiing and water sports. I've never pushed them one way or the other but supported their interest.

S'no Farmer

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 31, 2020 06:53AM
Sat on dad's shoulders at 2.5 years old Armada Fair 1980. I have only the very vaguest memory of back that far, but begged to go to local fair hooks from then on and did with dad all through childhood. My kids have gone to everything from little club hooks all the way to BG. I don't push it on them, it's up to them. My son shows interest in it, the girls, somewhat. That's totally fine by me. I want them to pursue their passions just as I have whatever they are.

CP

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? November 01, 2020 02:22PM
I worked on my uncles farm during planting and harvest from time I was 11 or 12. My uncle could care less about pulling but his son my cousin loved pulling. We would go to Madison County fair in London Ohio and step on sled. Hr would take me to each day of Ohio State Fair Pulls. As I got old enough to drive I would go to The Teays Valley Tractor pulls in Stockdale Ohio. Then to the OSTPA CIRCUIT and Fort Recovery, BG, Tomah, Inwood, Tulsa etc. Most summer weekends you found me at pulls. Once married my wife became a fan and we took our kids camping to pulls for years. I started going to NFMS years ago and Indy Super Pull and 2 of my 10 grandkids love to go with me. So we teavel to Sounth Carolina, Tennessee, Ky, Pa, Ohio, Canada, Indians, Ok, Wisc, Illinois, Mi, NY and Im sure other states. I have to blame my cousin for my complete addiction to pulling.

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 31, 2020 09:16AM
Definitely! First memories of pulling is when we would go camping in Caledonia, MN and my dad would take us to the Houston county fair and see the NTPA show.

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 31, 2020 12:23PM
My first pulls was with my dad at around 5or six years old he would pull farm classes around 4 or 5 counties and he let me start pulling at around 11 at 14 i pulled the sled back for several years at our local fair until the pull back sleds was gone

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? October 31, 2020 03:04PM
My first pull was several months after my second birthday. We lived on Main Street in the little town I grew up in and that was were the county fair was. As the tractors went by I asked where they were going. After my father answered the fairgrounds, I asked if we could go. We went as a family that night. Dad was an OTR truck driver and wasn't home all the time so more often mom took us to the pulls in our hometown and Freeport, IL as we were growing up. Dad went when he could but as little kids we took family vacation to Tomah for several years.

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? November 01, 2020 01:24AM
I guess I was the one who took our kids when they were wrapped up tight in a blanket setting in the fog at 1am at the Harford Fair in Susquehanna County Pa. . My son or daughter never got the bug bad enough to pull but I sure did. Then came my grandkids. One of my very favorite photos was of them intently watching me get hooked to the sled at the Wayne County fair. Their eyes were glued to what was about to happen. My oldest grandson and oldest granddaughter both hooked pedal tractors. He now pulls a Hot Farm and my Granddaughter was ready to pull my old 4320 at the Wyoming County Fair this year but it got cancelled. Like farming I'm not sure the fever will go beyond them. It's been a great ride from 1976 and have met a lot of fun people. I'm glad we've made it fun even with a small budget. Hope to see all my puling friends next season. God bless and stay safe and healthy.

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? November 04, 2020 12:58PM
We watched my dad pull at the Iowa state fair in 1964

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? November 02, 2020 04:44AM
I was introduced to pulling at a early age. My dad pulled a mod in Minnesota from early 70s to 82 n then a twd from 82-86. Then there was a pulling break a long break. i started going back to pulls in 2008 and have been going as often as possible

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? November 02, 2020 09:42AM
My dad started pulling in 1984 with a green 1976 chevy and still has that truck today.Same class-Pro Stock 4x4 but now its purple and called Chevy Thunder. My first time ever out of the house as a baby was at an OTTPA pull in Stephenville Texas in 1997. Grew up watching my dad pull and when i turned 18 in 2015 i started pulling with our daily driver truck. a 1983 chevy called Night Rider. I then bought a 1986 chevy called Chain Reaction and pulled it in hot stock class from 2016-2018. In 2019 me and dad split driving time on Chevy Thunder and late that year i bought my current truck a 1983 GMC DOT Modified 2wd called Rumble Bee. Ive loved the sport of pulling and all the people ive met and the places ive pulled. Looking forward to whats to come!

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? November 03, 2020 10:29AM
Way to go Rumble Bee, -- great attitude and history, my Father never supported me in anything, sad to this day about it

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? November 03, 2020 11:39AM
Same here, dad and I didn't have much in common as far as interests.
I pretty much got hooked going to pulls on my own.
I left the farm back in '91, but never lost interest in the sport.

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? November 04, 2020 03:17AM
My dad would always take us to the pulls on Friday and Saturday nights. We pulled farm stock back then and still do today. He would take the sides off the grain truck and load the tractor onto it and away we would go. My mom would also pull the same tractor and they would compete against each other. It was always a blast to go and be a part of such great memories that I still cherish today. Dad would also take me to the Indy Super Pull every January and that was always fun too. My family still pulls to this day and my dad is the main reason why I do. Unfortunately I lost my dad in 2010. Every time we go to a pull I think about him and I know he would be proud. He also would be telling everything I need to do to win. Thanks dad for everything. Also thanks for posting this. Brought back some great memories.

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? November 04, 2020 07:44AM
I was lucky enough to be born into a tractor pulling family. My first pull I don’t remember since I was only two weeks old but I hear stories and see photos from back then. Many years later we have a few pulling tractors and we make it a true family sport and event, without a family member there everything falls apart. This is a lifestyle I certainly would not give up.

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? November 04, 2020 01:02PM
I watched my dad pull at the Iowa state fair in 1964

Re: Curious question - As a kid, how many of you went to pulls with your dad? November 06, 2020 06:26AM
I was a little backwards in that Dad and I actually started pulling in 1981 with an off-the-lawn garden tractor. I can’t really remember attending any pulls before that, we kind of just started at the local fair. The next year we built our first puller from a Cub Cadet that had been through a fire which went through many iterations before I switched to antiques. The biggest mistake I ever made is I got tired of dad putting his fingers into my tractor and suggested that he should get his own. Well he did and proceeded to whip my butt on a regular basis! In the latter years we did managed to attend some sanctioned pulls including two trips to Bowling Green (of course he had the camper Smiling) among others. I have always said in all the years I have been around pulling some of my fondest memories are of my dad and I setting on 5 gal buckets in the shop discussing (arguing) about what we were going to do next to try and be competitive. We didn’t spend a lot of money but the time was priceless.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,580, Posts: 229,613, Members: 3,320.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,861.

Our newest member Fechtner Racing